You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

PS3 games with little mandatory install data?

MechaKrauser

Hello, fellow gamers! Can someone recommend any games with little or no required data install for PS3?

I have one of the 12GB PS3 slims and no extra harddrive (had one but it died), and I'm working out of the internal Flash memory. The games I have already are:

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen - No mandatory install, but automatically installs optional data (eats up all my extra space)
Star Ocean The Last Hope - 1.97GB required
Gundam Breaker - 4.4GB required, 2GB+ for DLC
Hatsune Miku Project Diva - No mandatory install
Final Fantasy XIII - No mandatory install

I've played the heck out of all these games and I'm looking for something new. I'm short on cash and was hoping to find something I can get for cheap off of Amazon as a used copy for, say $20 or less. Any more than that and I may as well consider saving my money for a new harddrive (or to be more ambitious, a PS4). I like RPG's the most, but I'm willing to consider anything at this point! Especially anything with a good soundtrack and replay value I can put a lot of hours into.

I don't mind wiping Gundam Breaker's +6GB data, but my only regret is that it takes the DLC with it and those 2GB take foreverrrr~ (literally all day) to re-DL on my slow-as-crap internet. I'd really like to get Skyrim or Oblivion, but those games have pretty steep data install requirements with all the DLC, right?

Re: PS3 games with little mandatory install data?

tiger child

i just went and peeked at a few games on my shelf. skyrim is 5.4 gigs and oblivion is 5.5. fallout new vegas is 5 gigs, kingdoms of amalur reckoning is 4. however the demon's souls and dark souls take up nothing, and dark souls 2 is like 2 gigs. then obviously there are the classic games on the playstation store. tons of old great rpgs that take up very little space and are all below 20.

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

Thanks

MechaKrauser

Thanks tiger child! Skyrim's looking pretty appealing to me right now. 5.4GB isn't bad and I wouldn't mind purging Gundam Breaker if it's for Skyrim. I'd thought it would take up much more space than that. They've got the Legendary Edition for 20 bucks brand new on amazon at the moment and used isn't much cheaper so might as well get it new. I'll either go with that one or get Oblivion used for around 10 and another game with it. Dark Souls has intrigued me for a while but I've never played it. I played the heck out of some PSP Monster Hunter and I've heard the gameplay is similar.

I'm not a huge fan of digital but I guess it's about time I update my PS3 and browse the store lol. It's been a while. Last time I was online and in the store I still had a harddrive and was downloading demos.

Re: Thanks

tiger child

skyrim would be a good call. although i'd have to assume the legendary edition might take up a bit more space than the original. i dont remember how much all the DLC was that i added on. even still, i say it's worth it. demon's souls and dark souls are without question two of the best games for the ps3's lifespan. oblivion is great too.

----------

-brick road

Legendary?

MechaKrauser

Oh, you weren't talking about the Legendary Edition before? I did a little searching and found this thread:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615804-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/66813844

One poster says that the main game was 2GB required and all the DLC was +2GB extra so 5.4GB seems about right. The Legendary edition has all of the update patches pre-applied from what I've read. I'd like to get definite confirmation before I run out and buy the game though because I definitely want the expansions, especially Dawnguard! If it turns out that it requires more space than my 12GB will allow I'll start considering Oblivion and maybe Dark/ Demon's Souls. I'm pretty reluctant to get Skyrim without the expansions.

Maybe the ICO + SotC

Ennea

humhum..

Maybe the ICO + SotC collection, I don't think they are that data intensive. Otherwise I would recommend some older digital games as well, had some good deals here and there although I tend to never play these games. Wild Arms is sitting on my drive since forever.

Re: Maybe the ICO + SotC

tiger child

the remastered ICO and Shadow are so so good. i've also had Wild Arms on my ps3 for ages. if you're willing to really explore the ps store, there are a lot of great games form ps/ps2.

@MechaKrauser - and then yes, that likely does sound right. the expansions are what i was thinking of - wasn't sure if they were included in that legendary edition or not - as that's not the edition i have. whatver the case, if you can manage skyrim i'd say go for it. and if you really feel like testing your mettle in a game, dark souls/demon's souls will be a fun outing.

----------

-brick road

All or Nothing, Baby!

MechaKrauser

Well Skyrim Legendary Edition 'requires' 7.3GB according to the box (finally found a high enough resolution box art image in google), but I wasn't able to find out if that includes all the expansions (which are optional installs). So I wouldn't be surprised if, when fully installed, it would take up more space than my PS3 has (closer to 9GB than 12GB in reality).

I really don't want to get it without the expansions so it's off the table for now. I believe Ratt said it best when they recorded 'All or Nothing' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP8SqPMRDXU hahaha.

I went and got my hopes up like an idiot over Skyrim but now I'm starting to think Demon's Souls or Dark Souls might just be my best option afterall.

I haven't played Shadow of the Colossus before so I'm hesitant to take the leap on a game I don't know. All the games that I already own, I bought because I played the demo off the PSN and decided it was worth buying. The exception being Star Ocean, which I played First Departure on PSP and loved it. So what's it like playing Shadow of the Colossus?

Actually now I'm thinking about just getting a harddrive, afterall. I was browsing amazon and saw a 120GB drive for $20. So I may just wait till I have enough extra cash to get Skyrim and a small-capacity HDD at the same time. I just can't stop thinking about Skyrim now! lol

Re: All or Nothing, Baby!

tiger child

well i have yet to play all the expansions on skyrim. like i said before, the game that comes in the box is more than enough.

shadow of the colossus is incredible. do yourself a favor and look into it.

you can get demon's souls or dark soul's for under 20 on amazon. if you're up for it, do it.

but if you're patient and can wait for that 120gig hard drive, then just do that. then you dont have to worry about space for a while and just get whatever you actually want to play.

----------

-brick road

Yeah that's what I'm thinking

MechaKrauser

Yeah that's what I'm thinking now, too. I wasn't going to consider a new hdd if it was going to be, say, $50 or 60. But since I now know I can get one for $20 that changes the game.

I don't want to make a hasty decision so I'm gonna take some time for my head to cool and come down from this Skyrim-induced mania. I'll probably shop around cheap harddrives for a bit and try to settle on one with plenty of good reviews and a warranty.

Question: Do 3.5 HDDs fit in the PS3, as well as 2.5s? The drive I put in my PS3 before was an old 2.5 from a laptop (which died shortly thereafter)

I'm gonna check out Shadow of the Colossus, too. It may very well be the next game I get after Skyrim if it seems interesting.