You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest 68 ~ Adrift in the Bleak/Strength in Numbers

tiger child

Having thieved a small airship from the Great City with dramatic flair, the party of adventurers has had long days of reflection, speculation and introspection. The fires seem to have died out mostly across the far continent, leaving the sky a lost grey. It is rare anyone speaks. The girls pretend to do their hair, or brush their jackets down of dirt and stains - feigning interest in vanity. The men behave confidently, although it is certain within each of them there is little strength left. They want to believe they have a say in where they are going, and to turn in any other direction, but the navigational pulleys and gears were all damaged in their escape. Their fortune that the ship's heading is sincere and will lead them where they need to go, is also the shadow that hangs over each of them. No one wishes this direction. Not one of them wishes for their destination. There is a bleak inevitability that hangs on each of them like a ghost. Like a slow giant is dragging the ship through the sky - as if by chains - through some emotional and fear-laden murk.

There are still days at least before they arrive, but for one moment, the party who has until now remained un-whole for any single moment, finds themselves all together on the front of the ship. The air is surprisingly warm and still here. The heat from the far-flung-fires singes the fog and clouds as they slip around the bow like cream. Until now they've felt, each one, isolated from the others. Separated from each other by their collective fears of what's ahead. Unable to communicate, worried to show weakness, or to promote cowardice when they have no choices left. What good is fear, after all? But now, all together in the embered vastness, they find each other. They find their strength. Not in some grand courageous flourish, but in the subtle breaths and drifts of wind moving hairs and clothes out of place. Where the weight of the smoldering world ends in the horizon - for just this moment - the unknown beyond is hope. The crippled ship lurches forward, bits falling off at odd intervals - a fumbling mess of parts, carrying the weight of it's passengers, and the passengers carrying the weight of the future.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~**~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~

I know there was the recent Flight theme that closed out 2014, but this is not that. Which i hope is quite clear by the premise. The moment described is what needs music. There is darkness, there is hope, there is loss and sorrow, strength and heart. I am certain each of you can find a direction and inspiration in the feeling and imagery to blow my mind. So be amazing and do amazing things.

Deadline 3 weeks from today (since most places it's already the 4th) we'll call it the 25th of June. Length is 1 minute at least. I definitely would love to hear some people embellish a bit and go longer to paint the picture, but anything will be great.

Wow, cool theme man, I like

soundsandstuff

Wow, cool theme man, I like the vivid background description you put in, reminds me a little of One Piece hehe.

I'm not sure to understand

hashel

I'm not sure to understand everything... And i'm not sure i can put such mood transitions in an original song...
I'll give a try but i can't promise to enter.

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

@soundsandstuff - i'm glad

tiger child

@soundsandstuff - i'm glad you're into it. i wanted to give everyone very specific, but also musically interpretable imagery. i've never seen one piece, but i know it's a thing people like! :)

@hashel - well you dont have to necessarily do that many transitions or anything. you can pick a mood that you feel in that description and do that. there is a lot of things going on that you can draw from and elaborate on. it's up to you :)

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

:3

Lloyde_Sorrow

:3

so 10 days left. anyone

tiger child

so 10 days left. anyone actually doing this?

----------

-brick road

Huuuuum Nope :/

hashel

Huuuuum Nope :/

----------

Re: Huuuuum Nope :/

tiger child

yeah yeah. go do your 1093284-03985 covers!

----------

-brick road

I'd like to but I got myself

Basisti94

I'd like to but I got myself an actual real part time job and been really busy with other stuff too so I don't think I can find enough time.

Sketched out the idea

Avaruussaha

Sketched out the idea already, but been a bit busy (and EHM:EA took my soul) lately. With the midsummer festives next weekend, working things out will be closer to the deadline.

i'm glad to hear that. just

tiger child

i'm glad to hear that. just want to make sure there a few entries to this thing!

----------

-brick road

Not Sure

Lloyde_Sorrow

Hmmm... I'm not sure. I've been pretty occupied with something else. I may try to squeeze something in. Don't hold your breath on that, though :P I'll definitely try to do something if there's only going to be one or two entries.

Re: Not Sure

tiger child

and the slow death of the tune contest proceeds.

----------

-brick road

Dude, it's finals time, it's

hashel

Dude, it's finals time, it's almost summer, it's a complexe theme.
It's nott hat i don't have the time, it's the theme doesn't speaks to me.

----------

My music stuff has been in a

iamHoustonian

You don’t need to see my identification…

My music stuff has been in a brief hiatus. I'm in the mood to do something, whether it be covers or a new jam.

This theme is pretty cool but for some reason it seems to provoke an idea of an orchestrated/cinematic song. Not really my style, though if something clicks I'll definitely submit. I'll marinate on it and maybe something will cook up in my brain :^B

huh I did not see the

BigHeadClan

huh I did not see the original post for this, just got myself a new recording interface so I may be able to push something out!

@Tiger_child - When are you doing the next chapter? Jokes aside you set the stage nicely for some
dynamic music, I will see if I can get something written up!

haha @bigheadclan! thank you.

tiger child

haha @bigheadclan! thank you. i just like my turns at this to be more of the task of actually scoring a moment in a game. to put music to more fleshed out imagery than simply a loose concept. i know it's not always as popular in it's own way, but i think it's a good challenge.

----------

-brick road

Agreed, I try and do the same

BigHeadClan

Agreed, I try and do the same thing just with fewer words and phrased less elegantly. Its much more fun/challenging to try and write to an event anyhow. :)

@iamHoustonian i disagree. i

tiger child

@iamHoustonian i disagree. i think music you make could definitely fit that moment. some moody ambient guitar could suit it just fine, focusing on the dissonance/disconnection that exists within the party at the moment, then having it come together and build a little bit in a more hopeful feeling.

----------

-brick road

^^ Essentially it's how

BigHeadClan

^^

Essentially it's how interpenetrate Tigers little setting, everyone reads it a bit differently and your writing will reflect that no matter how you try and go about it.

@ BigHeadClan -

iamHoustonian

You don’t need to see my identification…

@ BigHeadClan - Interpenetrate? that's a new one, for me haha
Well I jammed out something for this, but it's probably just something along the lines of "Barely changing guitar riff"... it's something though haha even though I can imagine drums and other instruments to accompany it. It's just beyond my capabilities, at this point, to incorporate them :-) I'll record it before the due date and submit tho for sure

Re: @ BigHeadClan -

tiger child

you can always use your guitar to create percussion and build through layers!

----------

-brick road

Sorry was drunk when I wrote

BigHeadClan

Sorry was drunk when I wrote that XD.

I'm still doing it, although

Avaruussaha

I'm still doing it, although late, as is the tradition.

Any ideas for the future? As it is these threads don't seem to attract any new/stray users. There are way more people with sufficient recording capabilities lurking around, finding out what keeps people from hopping in here could be nice. We must evolve, for the species. Maybe.

Oh, and I'm really liking your theme & description.

I'll see if I can hammer

BigHeadClan

I'll see if I can hammer something out this week, was doing car work for a friend and got sidetracked XD.
Also I'm never on time. lol

I think the contests are pretty good the way they are, but some new blood wouldn't hurt. It may be that people don't have the confidence/drive to try writing originals.

well i'll happily move around

tiger child

well i'll happily move around the date. let's just leave it open since these contests seem to float around a bit. maybe some other people can find time. it would be amazing to locate some new blood, but from what vein or artery will it slip out of?

----------

-brick road

May have to snip at the album

BigHeadClan

May have to snip at the album artery and see what we get :)

I think we just need more

Avaruussaha

I think we just need more cowbell

Some new blood would indeed

Lloyde_Sorrow

Some new blood would indeed be nice. It'd also be nice if some of the others who have been here for a while participated!

Damnit Avaru, gonna go play

BigHeadClan

Damnit Avaru, gonna go play don't fear the reaper now ><

Re: Damnit Avaru, gonna go play

Jacob31593

BigHeadClan said

Damnit Avaru, gonna go play don't fear the reaper now ><

same

hey guys, I would still like

soundsandstuff

hey guys, I would still like to join this one if I can get off my buns and make something before time up hehe

i think we're just letting

tiger child

i think we're just letting this one fly around for a while and see if anything climbs aboard. no one seems in a rush to have a new one, so hopefully some entries start to trickle in.

----------

-brick road

Same boat as soundsandstuff,

BigHeadClan

Same boat as soundsandstuff, started trying to work something out but we shall see.

I hereby announce to my and

Avaruussaha

I hereby announce to my and everyone's delight that I will begin tracking as of now! I will be unable to do anything besides mixing after this week for awhile (moving to Estonia), so I gotta get my guitaring recorded before Sunday. The rest will follow soon after, hopefully.

EDIT: WElppp, I was waaay more busy than I imagined, gotta go full VST Im afraid

cough cough cough

Lloyde_Sorrow

cough cough cough

~wind noise~

hashel

~wind noise~

----------

haha oh no. this is still

tiger child

haha oh no. this is still here. alone and unattended.

----------

-brick road

Sod it!

sharprainmusic

https://www.mediafire.com/?7vb979w9o9ynqd8

Sod it, I worked on something small for now. From reading the great description I felt I had to write something as if you were floating on air.
Let me know what you think.

Re: Sod it!

tiger child

OH MY GOD AN ENTRY.

this made my day. thank you.

----------

-brick road

Never Alone

Lloyde_Sorrow

Well, we can't just have one entry, now can we? Well, we can, but it would be pretty pointless. To the workshop!

get to it lloyd! c'mon tune

tiger child

get to it lloyd! c'mon tune contest, dont die!

----------

-brick road

I totally forgot this was

BigHeadClan

I totally forgot this was going on, going to have to put the pen to paper. lol

yes please do. every topic

tiger child

yes please do. every topic now is cover albums! agh. we need some diversity.

----------

-brick road

Was plucking away yesterday

BigHeadClan

Was plucking away yesterday and I have a long weekend so the dream is to have it finished up by Sunday night.

Re: Was plucking away yesterday

tiger child

woo. i recorded this the other day. although it has nothing to do with this theme.

Restless Ghosts by the Sea

----------

-brick road

Lloyde_Sorrow

I just noticed the artwork and description. I love that description. You have such a great talent for writing! Not just that but also composing and drawing/painting!

I'll have my piece finished in a couple of days. I like how it's turning out so far.

tiger child

haha! thank you! way too much flattery in that comment.

and i'm glad. this is the deadline-less tune contest. we just need to drag the songs out of people. violently, if necessary.

----------

-brick road

Lloyde_Sorrow

You're welcome. Hehe sorry xD I'll try to cut back on that in the future! :3

That it is. And I thought the Spring Tune Contest was long haha. Oh yes, violently indeed.

I'll do my best to get

Avaruussaha

I'll do my best to get something done this weekend, got a digital recorder and my previously advertised idea still at hand.

OKAY. well i'm not eligible

tiger child

OKAY. well i'm not eligible to win my own contest, but i did a track last night/today anyway.

To an Unfamiliar Future

----------

-brick road