You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

How can I play faster?

Brave Toaster

Good night, dear musician friends.

Lately I've been getting really frustrated towards a certain music, wich is this one:

http://www.gametabs.net/shin-megami-tensei-persona-3/poem-for-everyones-...

Lonlonjp's Poem for Everyone's Soul. Compared to his others arrangement, that is is quite easy! But that are those really fast bits, like that 5-3-2 in the second string, that get really crappy when I play.

Is there any exercise so I can fasten up my fingering? It seems easier to do if I use my nail as a picker, but I don't know if it's "healthy" to get used to it that way. I should have fast fingers!

You are playing that 5p3p2

Kain

What is... Gee-taar?

You are playing that 5p3p2 bit as a pull-off, correct? If not, that is probably the issue.

----------

One word: Thundercougarfalconbird

Well in case you want to play

surreal

Eric: tank,godlike

Well in case you want to play that 5p3p2 without pull offs all you have to do is play the second string with more than one finger.

I would do ring, middle, then index, in quick succession.

I see! Well, actually I am

Brave Toaster

I see! Well, actually I am kind of a noob when it comes to this subject. It's been not long ago since I started playing the guitar seriously.

I watched some video classes about Hamer-Ons e Pull Offs and it was really helpfull; I guess I will manage to play faster bits with this techniques.

Thank you very much, you two!

your going to need to take

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

your going to need to take your time your fingers need to get adjusted playing finger style. I used this arrangement to excersice with and helped greatly Reminiscence (Suikoden 2) I played the intro over and over until my fingers got use to it but I also alternated my fingers it took my right hand ring finger damn near a year to finally start playing right now I can do some pretty fast fingering (no pun intended). My first year I started I mainly concentrated on finger development, nail care (very important), chord progression, proper barre-ing, hammer ons and offs, learning at least one song and keeping tempo. If you need anymore help let us know

----------

Watch me: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vic9mm

A lot of people make the

ronito

Decisive Battler

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that they can just play fast from the get go. The thing is, anyone can play fast. All you gotta do is start slow. What I do is get a metronome and play the part (not the whole piece just the hard part) only as fast as I can play it perfectly without pausing and look at refingering the part for easier play. Once I settle on the easiest fingering I make note of how slow that was and play through at that tempo at least 10 times perfectly with no mistake, if I screw up the count starts over.

Then I move on to the next hard part. If I can end up playing through that part perfectly through two sets of 10 I bump up the metronome by five. Rinse repeat. Sometimes I can move up 15 or 20 clicks per week, some weeks it can take 2 weeks to move up 5 clicks but the issue is to never play faster than you know you can play perfectly.

Then again, I'm really

Brave Toaster

Then again, I'm really thankfull for all the advices.

I have downloaded a Metronome program so that I can train my speed gradually, and I'm doing many exercises so that I can get my fingers stronger.

I'll also put my efforts on training rather than complaining. I tend to get frustrated easily, though I don't really stop trying (and I end up getting even more frustrated, like OH MY GOD I'LL NEVER DO IT).

When I manage to play these kind of songs perfectly, I'll for sure show you guys!

be brave my man

SalemJeanette

Save Your Tears.

be brave my man

----------

23:33 Vic9mm said: its ture ida benn gone she took out like 3 kids before had what was that fat ass asian kid gonna do

Little J.

You do that. I'll plan to be

Kain

What is... Gee-taar?

You do that. I'll plan to be here to listen to it. Just stay away from the dragonforce problem (fast, but sloppy, like Ron said).

----------

One word: Thundercougarfalconbird