You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

EeinX

what about doing actual competitions?

Like guitarwar/guitarbattle stuff.

But with a twist!

The way I have it in my head is:
Basically, it's a 1 vs 1(or 2 vs 2 collab etc.), subject oriented match.

The champion (or first person) starts out by posting this:
Challenge Games: (Insert 2 Video Games here)
Wins: (W - T - L)
Guitar Style: Standard/Fingerstyle
Completion Time: Contest Time.
Callout: (Callout another recording artist here. If this person comes forward, it will negate any challenge currently in process and the called out individual will have to start with the previously decided recording match)

A challenger will come forward and challenge me, and we will then lay out the rules:
The challenger will decide between the games, and the final guitar style.
From then on, there will be 2 weeks to complete it.

Whomever does not post their recording gets DQ, unless an extention is made.
If the champion does not post his recording, but the challenger does, he automatically gains the title.
If the champion posts his song but the challenger does not, the challenger gets dq and gets made fun of in general chat, unless the have a good reason.

The new champion will start from the beginning and keep the chain going.

I dunno. just ideas.

I would like to do recording challenges for specific songs or games.
That way lots of tabbing gets done quick and also recordings :P

Re: Competitions!

SalemJake

Bewitched

i didnt undestand this: "Wins: (W - T - L)"

auriplane

Win Tie Loss

----------

Auriplane!!

auriplane

Incidentally, uh, judging? :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

Juja

So, you're suggesting something like a mini Dwelling of the Duels for gametabs? I'd definitely be willing to participate in that. I might not get my ass kicked as badly as I do in the actual DoD competition.

Jacob31593

dibs on a judge's seat

EeinX

Hmm, not exactly like dod, but we could technically do something like that.

This is only a concept and id love to hear greater ideas.

What I would like is for registered users only to be able to compete. That way we may be able to possibly get some more people participating in the site.

Similarly to guitar war, you'd have to post the tab or part of the tab you made or used

What I have now is a 1vs1 chain competition idea, but a multiple entry competition also sounds fun!

I do like the judges seat idea and it would be a good idea to be implemented. But unfortunately, selection must be made of non musically biased, non-competing members.

Favoritism is very hard to stop in small communities like this.

What I definitely would like to do is a theme based thing like dod, but in a different way.

Like "record a song using only sounds you can make from your guitar. This includes drum sounds"

Maybe weird things like that.

Who knows ;p

Give me more ideas, and archy, please give your opinion on this. I can help with any scripting/management for this concept.

SalemJake

Bewitched

you can only compete with songs that have not been tabbed.

Jacob31593

SalemJake said

you can only compete with songs that have not been tabbed.

thats silly, your silly

SalemJake

Bewitched

why is that silly? that way the site gets more tabs

BooDoo

People

If you think this would increase participation in the site, I can see why you think it's a good idea.

I don't think it would do that. I mean, what's the purpose of 'calling out' a competitor if you've never been here before? Who would 'call out' someone who has not posted a tab or recording?

I don't get the competitive angle, I guess. After Battle of the Bands in high-school, who 'competes' musically, and why?

I may be in the minority. E-Peen is pretty important to a lot of people.

EeinX

It's technically not competitive in a negative.
It's more to better ourselves in a multitude of ways in arranging, tabbing, aural skills, remixing, programming, etc. etc.

Also, for instance, tabbing out songs that haven't been done before.
It will give you a goal and deadline to finish a project, INCLUDING a recording so that the site benefits.

If you end up with a good pair of competitors, people will access the site more to see whats going on with that specific thing and check out more of the forum as well.

Now, i've seen theshizz.org and DoD, and how they react to these things. They start getting antsy, checking the forums ever 5 minutes to see if theres new progress.

The competitive aspect is just for fun, and not necessarily the main focus. ;) It just makes things more interesting.

you CAN callout, but you don't have to. Say for instance I called out Juja, he can have the option of superseding the person who challenged me and taking over the match, or not. Depending on whether he wants to, or to see if I'll lose or not. Basically, it's not something EVERYONE can do. Just the champion of the previous match. The callout is simply to give you the benefit of the doubt if you want to challenge someone on the forums at a specific type of music or song depending on the agreement. The thing is, if they have no recording experience, etc, they dont have to. Another person will eventually accept the challenge and go against the champion.

You may have not understood me correctly, but basically the competition starts with 1 post, not random posts by different people.

I understand how you think Ego is important to alot of people, but the truth is, theres always someone better.

This is just something fun to do.

Or you can just sit on the shoutbox hitting refresh and hope someone says something.

SalemJake

Bewitched

i call eeinx for super mario 64 fingerstyle.

EeinX

Well, if i ever decide to pass this idea through, then we'll make it happen.

I dunno. I just thought an ongoing competition would be fun.

I'll take your challenge next week if you want ;P
That way i have time to finish up this week and i'll have time to do it.

SalemJake

Bewitched

so next friday is the deadline? we should post the recording the same day it wouldnt be fair to post one and then the other challenger post it 3 days later.

BooDoo

People

We have one competition/compilation running, which is doing an ok-but-not-great job of generating output. Auri started her Open Collaboration project, which I don't think has yielded any results yet. We have an entire section of "Requests" which are rarely fulfilled. Almost no one provides feedback in the Work in Progress section.

I guess I would just be disappointed if 'competition' is the concept it takes to get people motivated. As I said above, I don't normally correlate that with music or the musical act.

Also, the Shoutbox auto-refreshes :)

auriplane

BooDoo said

Auri started her Open Collaboration project, which I don't think has yielded any results yet.

I don't think it's going to. Maybe some other approach is needed hehe.

I guess I would just be disappointed if 'competition' is the concept it takes to get people motivated. As I said above, I don't normally correlate that with music or the musical act.

Me either.

----------

Auriplane!!

SalemJake

Bewitched

oh and eeinx it must be sologuitar fingerstyle. Any song from mario 64 that havent been tabbed yet.

EeinX

Salem, i will get with you later on this. Dont start yet. :p

Well, I guess it doesn't really matter as this was only an idea. I wouldn't mind challenges every once in a while. ;p

Tanimax

General apathy.