You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Is anyone interested in doing a 'professional' fingerstyle guitar project?

archard

What I mean by professional is a sort of "album", kind of like what OCReMix does. They get together their best arrangers from the community and produce an album of original work based around some kind of theme, and then they package all the songs together and even produce an original name and artwork for the project. See Final Fantasy VII: Voices of the Lifestream and Radical Dreamers: Thieves of Fate.

I would love to put together something like that here on Game Tabs. We've done these kind of theme based projects in the past, but nothing where there were any real standards involved. Ideally what I'd like to do is get around 10 people from this community to contribute an arrangement. They'd all have to be fingerstyle/classical arrangements based around a theme - like a certain game or series. They'd all have to be made in a program where the tab can be outputted to a PDF file in both standard and tablature notation, so that once all the arrangements are complete we can package them all together in a single 'book' of arrangements that can be distributed.

Now, I'm just suggesting we do a fingerstyle arrangement here for starters, but later we can do other projects like a rock/metal collection.

I think this is a good way to rally the community together and get some recognition from the rest of the interwebz.

Hopefully there are enough people interested to put together something great. I know there is a lot of talent in this community. I will be contributing at least one track.

Post here if you would like to contribute. Also post suggestions for what you'd like the project's theme to be.

Sounds good

surreal

Eric: tank,godlike

I'm game.

Re: Sounds good

TrangOul

Insomaniac

Fingerstyle? Count me in! :D
The first theme I could think of was Lunar (both Silver Star Story and Eternal Blue). This site definitely lacks Lunar tabs even though there are some real beautiful songs in those games; like "Crowded Street Corner" or "Field to Tomorrow".

I'd love to

Agahnim

Nostalgic Gamer

I'd like to be in this

----------

20 years of gaming
4 years of electric guitar, 5 years of classical
This site feels like home!

Re: I'd love to

TheDoomOfAllFires

VG Maniak

Interesting =)

----------

Check out my VGM cover channel ! :p
https://www.youtube.com/c/VGManiak

Hrmmm...I'm finished

ronito

Decisive Battler

Hrmmm...I'm finished arranging but I might be able to come back for this. For gametabs.

Hmmm, never really done this

Man Blob

Hmmm, never really done this before but I can give it a shot, why not?
If ya got some extra space in the group, count me in.

What I'd really like to see is music like together we ride from fire emblem
One of my favorites

Another good theme is ff music again >.<
Probably too many copycats out there already

We can try touhou music! Thats hardly ever done on english sites
Never really played the games much, my sister constantly plays these songs on the piano though >_>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIop055eJhU

Re: Hmmm, never really done this

yoshistrings

ヨッシー

I'd be overjoyed to have the priveledge of contributing to something like this. As for the series, Zelda would be excellent.

Re: Hmmm, never really done this

Jacob31593

holy jesus i didnt know anyone else on here liked touhou :)

but eh archard i can contribute after you get to something that doesnt have to be finger style

Re

DuoDn

this is my whole reason for living.

count me in

Re: Is anyone interested in doing a 'professional' fingerstyle g

Stamen47

no0bzOrG

I'd be down for something like this.

----------

Is this the end of zombie Shakespeare?

let's rock.

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

let's rock.

hmm..

archard

Alright, I'm glad to see there's a lot of interest in this.

Before we move forward though I want to make the objective of this project clear.

Surreal and I had a conversation the other night where we decided it might be a good idea to extend this project to something along the lines of: make an arrangement of your favorite video game song, in any style (acoustic or electric), from any game, and make a recording of your arrangement as well. However, I'm thinking that this approach might be too ambitious (see the Epic Super Smash Brothers project). Also I think it'd be a good idea to give this project a really good focus, rather than a do whatever you want approach. I'm thinking if we make the theme of the project a particular game series, then we'll have enough songs to choose from to make everyone happy. Plus I just really like the idea of a fingerstyle/classical album, it's something I've been thinking about for awhile and with the amount of classical guitarists on this site it should be a really nice project. As for electric/rock guitarists, you guys can have your own separate project, maybe one that mirrors this one.

So the question is, should we proceed with a fingerstyle/classical album, or go all out. What do you guys think?

----------

DANG

redfender

I would like to join, but one question can I do any song whatsoever? Also, how long does this project go for?

TrangOul

Insomaniac

I'd prefer to go with a certain theme (not necessarily a certain game; "love songs", "battle themes" or something like that might work, too). Otherwise it just feels too loose, I think.

Jacob31593

TrangOul said

I'd prefer to go with a certain theme (not necessarily a certain game; "love songs", "battle themes" or something like that might work, too). Otherwise it just feels too loose, I think.

this idea sounds like a good one

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

TrangOul said

I have to disagree, just in the fact that a collection of battle themes will start to get old after awhile. I like the idea of pulling from an entire game. It will give the overall thing a more cohesive feel while at the same time giving the collection itself a lot of variety.

TrangOul

Insomaniac

Hm yeah. Guess you got a point with the variety.

Stamen47

no0bzOrG

I think we ought to just keep this one classical oriented, and let the electric guitarists have a similar project if they want. I think the idea to record the arrangements is a good idea, although I'm not sure how realistic it is (but maybe i'm the only one who stresses out over the idea of doing recordings).

anyway, I had a couple of unique (although potentially bad) project ideas.

I was thinking if we were doing a series of games, we could make it like the final fantasy guitar book where there are a couple of songs from all (or most of) the games. We could do something obvious like Zelda or Mario, and for the first time doing something like this, those would be good choices.

But something I thought of was that strategy games haven't had a lot of love on this site, maybe we could do a strategy game project where you can pick any song from any strategy game to arrange. Or, we could go for games from a company. I think blizzard could be a good pick, because they don't have a huge number of games to choose from, I think just warcraft, starcraft, and diablo, and all those games tend to be awesome. or maybe a duets project, or classic arcade project, or pick games from a certain year.

And although I think doing certain themes is a good idea, I think that it wouldn't be the best choice for this project, since this project seems to be more of a presentation for others (who would get sick of seeing a dozen battle themes). But if the project is more for the arrangers, I think doing a themes project is a lot of fun.

----------

Is this the end of zombie Shakespeare?

Alright. Let's do a

archard

Alright. Let's do a fingerstyle/classical project based on a certain game or series. I would like for everyone too record their arrangements as well so we can put together a CD to go along with the sheet music book. Sound good to everyone?

Let the game/series suggestions start.

----------

DANG

Re: Alright. Let's do a

surreal

Theme: The 16 bit era

Super Nintendo.

redfender

yes I agree with surreal

ThePredster

bleh not good enough to contribute

Jacob31593

ThePredster said

bleh not good enough to contribute

me either but its still fun to try :)

ronito

Decisive Battler

Hrm....final fantasy has been done to death as has crono trigger/cross. Dragon quest actually already has a really good official arrangement book. I'd say perhaps we should do a generation instead of a game series. If we're going for generation why not start at the beginning of modern gaming? something like "Classical NES"

BooDoo

People

ronito said

I'd say perhaps we should do a generation instead of a game series. If we're going for generation why not start at the beginning of modern gaming? something like "Classical NES"

Ron has come up with the perfect solution. A very wide range to choose from, but a clear, cohesive relation among parts.

Hender

If I were to participate (and I don't think I'm skilled enough, but just hypothetically) I would want someone else to do my recording, personally, as I don't play very professionally and I hate performing. Also, my recording equipment sucks.

So yeah, it would be nice if there was a "recording squad" that could take care of that for the less skilled amongst us who might still have their arrangements accepted.

If you're going for a specific series, a popular series famed for its music that has hardly any acoustic arrangements is the Mega Man/Rock Man series. I especially like Megaman 3's music, but there are about a million Megaman games to pick from. Of course, the reason it has no acoustic arrangements is because it's mostly rock, but I think a lot of it would bear arrangement into fingerpicking style. Some examples off the top of my head:

Megaman 3 intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiQgYfyUdDs
Megaman X ending music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC2nmSnMeHg

Just venting the idea to get some discussion going ... this project looks awesome.

Jacob31593

Hender said

If I were to participate (and I don't think I'm skilled enough, but just hypothetically) I would want someone else to do my recording, personally, as I don't play very professionally and I hate performing. Also, my recording equipment sucks.

So yeah, it would be nice if there was a "recording squad" that could take care of that for the less skilled amongst us who might still have their arrangements accepted.

If you're going for a specific series, a popular series famed for its music that has hardly any acoustic arrangements is the Mega Man/Rock Man series. I especially like Megaman 3's music, but there are about a million Megaman games to pick from. Of course, the reason it has no acoustic arrangements is because it's mostly rock, but I think a lot of it would bear arrangement into fingerpicking style. Some examples off the top of my head:

Megaman 3 intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiQgYfyUdDs
Megaman X ending music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC2nmSnMeHg

Just venting the idea to get some discussion going ... this project looks awesome.

the Megaman Battle Network series has absolutely no arrangements done on it

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

ronito said

Hrm....final fantasy has been done to death as has crono trigger/cross. Dragon quest actually already has a really good official arrangement book. I'd say perhaps we should do a generation instead of a game series. If we're going for generation why not start at the beginning of modern gaming? something like "Classical NES"

I like it.

ThePredster

Dibs on MMX. My favorite SNES game I still own

yoshistrings

ヨッシー

Fingerstyle mario 1,2,3 and world.

8-bit arrangements . . .

auriplane

If you went with a theme of 8-bit, you'd be in for a bit of a challenge, considering how short most 8-bit songs are . . . Some really good ones though :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: 8-bit arrangements . . .

yoshistrings

ヨッシー

exactly, the challenge makes it all the more interesting :D

redfender

I got Castlevania Dracula X: Bloodlines for SNES

surreal

I'm just for snes, I like leaving a pretty big area for people to choose from. People are likely to do a better a job on a song they want to arrange rather than one they're forced to pick.

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

Wow this is really getting intresting! Im not trying to play sides or anything but all of you need to talk this out on which direction this needs to go. I would hate to see a project like this just fizzle out because of differances. Seems to me that people have some diffrent taste in what they want to create. I say Archard let umm go and create what there hearts desire seems to be the only way this is going to get off the ground. And honestly probably wouldnt be a bad idea to take this route the first time around. But still keep the basic rule Classical/Acoustic Fingerstyle guitar only no eletric guitars. Thats just my opinion

----------

Watch me: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vic9mm

yoshistrings

ヨッシー

we still have to stick to some kind of theme, though. If everyone just did whatever they wanted, we'd end up with a book full of random tabs. A specific game might be to narrow, but I think several games from a series, or an entire series might be just right.

I think the best way to go is

archard

I think the best way to go is to make it based around a certain game series or 'era' like it was suggested earlier. I think the project really needs to have that focus. But I'm really glad to see all the interest and suggestions.

I don't have time now but today when I get home I will narrow it down and then we can have a final vote. I wanna get this thing started.

----------

DANG

Re: I think the best way to go is

yoshistrings

ヨッシー

time to put up a poll.

archard

Alright guys, I think the best course of action here is to go with a particular 'era'. I want the theme to be broad enough so that the users who contribute can find a song that they can really identify with. Again, I want to stress the professionalism of this project. I don't want this album to be made up of average tabs. I want it to be made up of interpreted songs. I want people who participate in this project to take a song they listened to over and over again when they were in grade school and turn it into something beautiful and outstanding.

Since, the average demographic of this site is the early 20's, I think an appropriate theme is the "SNES Era". This includes games like Final Fantasy IV-VI, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG, etc. Any game that was produced on a Super Nintendo.

Seriously, let's make this the best damn project we can. Show the world what video game music is all about.

Also I think everyone who contributes to this project should contribute a recording of their arrangement. If you don't think you can do this, then sorry, what can I say.

Everyone who thinks they can do what I described above is welcome to join. Who's in?

----------

DANG

Agahnim

Nostalgic Gamer

Can I use the arrangements I had already posted in this site? xd...

I think there should be limitations... like for example 3 or 4 games...
or another way should be, for example, limiting the number of arrangement per people per game.
Or we could end up with 100 FF arrangements and 1 "Other game" arrangement

----------

20 years of gaming
4 years of electric guitar, 5 years of classical
This site feels like home!

surreal

IN

BooDoo

People

I don't want to commit, because I haven't really completed any arrangement in the past, but I will definitely be trying :)

redfender

I'll actually not be participating

yoshistrings

ヨッシー

Count 'strings in!

Time to get crackin'! Although I think we should claim songs so everyone doesn't end up doing the same thing.

I claim meta knight's revenge ending and pollyanna.

gamingnguitar

Total Gamer

I'll try. Since professionalism is stressed and I'm not all that good, I won't be disappointed if you reject my arrangement, but I'd certainly like to participate and, at the very least, get some tabbing practice. I may not have an arrangement in by the time limit, but in the weeks after the next two or so I'll have a LOT of spare time due to summer break and all. I'll try my best and I'll help out wherever possible, but don't expect anything too big off me, since, as said, I'm not that great.

Not exactly confidence-inspiring, but believe me, I'm off and ready to roll.

----------

Live. Learn. Listen. To Crush 40.

yoshistrings

ヨッシー

btw, are we allowed to do 2 part arramgements?

yoshistrings

ヨッシー

And one more thing, can we use our older arrangements?

64 characters

ronito

Decisive Battler

Okies I'll do something given that the timeline is long enough.

Also someone will have to show me how to record.

Re: 64 characters

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

I also would like to know what the limitations are as far as content. Are we allowed to use older arrangements if they meet the quality standard? Or should there be a rule you have to submit an equal number of new arrangements versus old arrangements? Or all completely new?

Also, how many are we expected to come up with? I don't know how many people are actually going to do this, and if we're putting together a book we probably would want a decent amount of arrangements, meaning more than 1 per person I would think.

Another point is I'm wondering how picky we need to be on the creativity of these things. I don't expect many people here have had much experience in "thinking outside the box" as far as arrangements go. It's one thing to tab a melody, it's another to add the chords in a "guitaristic" way and it's quite another to twist the pieces around to make them into something new and unique. I won't even go into the limitations of guitar arranging but I don't want people to get scared off from attempting and arrangement because they don't think their piece is different enough. So could you give some examples of tabs that don't meet your criteria and tabs that do? For example, the arrangements in the official guitar book are, I would say, the 2nd version of arranging I mentioned. They're guitaristic but stick very close to the originals. Would something like that be acceptable?

Finally, I assume there would have to be a judging panel of some sort that would need to discuss the entries and decide if they meet the standards you're looking for. You would need to be on it, so you'd need probably 2-3 others.

Re: 64 characters

surreal

Would it be a horrible thing if we, as a community, tried to help people with their arrangement if it doesn't meet the grade?

Sure they'd have to do most of the work in order to call it their own, but we could at least point them in the right direction rather than blatantly say it's not good enough and telling them to try again next time.