You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Help Your Friendly, Neighborhood Kabukibear

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

So...I've decided to expand my guitar horizons somewhat. I've been thinking about it for awhile now and last night I had a dream about it so I figure it's my subconcious telling me to go for it.

However, I can't decide on the type of guitar to buy. I've been a classical guy my whole life, so this is new ground for me.

I'm considering two options, and electro-acoustic or a plain electric guitar. I'd really like to buy the add-on that will let me plug it directly into my computer but even that I don't know a thing about.

I can't spend much money at all for this. Even if I could I wouldn't as I'm not sure if it's going to take or not and don't want to invest a ton of money into something I don't enjoy playing.

So here's my question guys:

Which do you prefer? Electric or Electro-Acoustic? Why? What are some options as far as cheap but decent guitars? What do I need to be able to record directly to my computer.

It's a lot, you don't even have to answer all of them, but I'm just looking for some kind of input from people who know about this sort of thing. Help this lost bear find his way home. ::shimmer shimmer::

Re: Help Your Friendly, Neighborhood Kabukibear

TheDoomOfAllFires

VG Maniak

Basically, an electro-acoustic guitar is still an acoustic instrument and because you played classical guitar for years, I think you should buy one of these.
But after all, it depends of your music taste.

----------

Check out my VGM cover channel ! :p
https://www.youtube.com/c/VGManiak

Krimson

Much nerdy love

There are actually a number of different setups you can use to plug an electric/electric acoustic directly into your PC. I use a simple 3.5mm - 1/4" adapter that plugs right into the sound card (see here). There are a lot of other kinds of adapters I've heard recommended (see here), but I've also heard of running it through a preamp and then into a PC to boost/improve the signal.

This is a site I used to research this stuff that I thought was fairly helpful: http://www.musiconmypc.co.uk/art_record_guitar_on_pc.php

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

I personally would go with Electro-Acoustic over Eletric for you. Depending on your what your willing to spend 200-350 there are some good Ovations, Ibenz, Takamne, washburn, funder, epaphone heres a link http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/acoustic-electric-guitars/6-string as far as eletric there nice dont get me wrong but I honesty dont think you will like the sound that comes from an eletric guitar seeing that you enjoy classical but if your looking to broadin your horizion there some great eletrical guitars with the right effects peddle and amp you can make them sound like acustic guitars in turn thats means more money. You say you want to go through your computer Kabuki the best 40 dollars I have ever spent was on this thing right here http://www.soundtech.com/products/home-recording/stem3pack/ aka "The LightSnake" it acts like a soundcard so it might change your audio controls so read the manual it tells you what to do and how to fix it. That should help you out alittle.

----------

Watch me: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vic9mm

Juja

I'd give you some advice, but honestly, I know shit about dick.

archard

I wouldn't get an electro-acoustic. It's just an acoustic guitar with a pickup clanked on it. And for acoustic guitars it always sounds better to record into a microphone then with a line in on your computer, especially if you don't have some kind of preamp. Plus a pickup can always be added on to any acoustic later on if you really want one. I would either go with a regular acoustic or regular electric.

----------

DANG

Destin

Funny i have played only electric and now i want to get into classical. I got an ibanez rg2ex2 in september and i love it. It has a wide neck, for and electric guitar, i think it would be more comfortable for u considering ur calssical background u might want something with a wide neck. I got mine for $200 used and i would guess u would have to spend $200+ to get any guitar that isn't total shit. here is a link if u want to get a look at it.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RE2EX1-Electric-Guitar...

Also what sortof style are u going for? it would be helpful to know in picking an amp. The amp is going to be the most important factor in your sound. Also if ur going to be recording directly to ur computer your ganna want an amp with some sort for line out.

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

archard said

And for acoustic guitars it always sounds better to record into a microphone then with a line in on your computer.

No its not aways better, Kabuki uses an 11 dollar Mic which works badass I must say The only problem with that is I think he has to sync the audio with the video at times which it too time consuming if you ask me.

----------

Watch me: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vic9mm

archard

Vic9mm said

archard said

And for acoustic guitars it always sounds better to record into a microphone then with a line in on your computer.

No its not aways better, Kabuki uses an 11 dollar Mic which works badass I must say The only problem with that is I think he has to sync the audio with the video at times which it too time consuming if you ask me.

Well, not always yeah, but generally it is. I can tell you from my experience that connecting an electro-acoustic guitar to a computer with a 1/4 inch line sucks unless you have a nice preamp. I think if you're going to record with an acoustic guitar you should invest in a decent microphone and forget the whole electro-acoustic thing.

Also I recall Kabukibear mentioning awhile back that he hates the twangy sound of most steel stringed guitars, and generally an electro-acoustic will have some major twang when recorded from a line-in. Speaking from experience here.

----------

DANG

CpxAzn

Lurker

If you are planning to play with distortion, you should get an electric guitar. Not just playing with distortion, if you are planning to even bend the strings, get an electric guitar. There's a great difference when you string bend and vibrato on an electric guitar. Vibratos are up and down compared to classical/acoustic's side to side. If you're planning to fingerpick, get an acoustic-electric.

If you do plan on getting on electric, I would suggest you to try out the different bridges. Try out a Fender Stratocaster, Epiphone Les Paul, Ibanez RG and Ibanez S series.

If you hand me a guitar with this kind of bridge...

Prepare yourself because epic fail is coming. I cannot play on the kind of bridge. I become a complete noob who just started playing guitar. Most epiphone and gibsons have that kind of bridge.

You also need decide whether you want a tremelo or not.

Do you like wide or thin necks? Low or high action on the string? How many frets? 21 or 22 or 24? What type of music are you looking to play? Price range?

As for recording into the computer, you can get the Line 6 GuitarPort for under $90, and it also gives you tons of different distortion and effects. Or if you want more expensive stuff, Line 6 also has a lot of different PODs you can choose from.

If you want to record directly from an amp, it needs to have headphone out and you might need a converter to convert a 3.5mm so it can go into the headphone and the other end goes into you computer sound card line in. It probably is going to sound bad if you have a cheap amp though.

I would suggest the GuitarPort since it costs cheaper than a lot of amps and sounds a lot better with a lot more effects choice. Only downfall is that there's no speakers, but I usually just play with headphones (I have a GuitarPort). If I do want to hook it up, I hook it up to my PC speakers.

jit

for guitar, i dont think anyone can really help you with what you want in terms of the guitar your looking for, only you do. but from the type of music your playing it seems your looking for the electro acoustic. Ovations is something to consider.

But if you're ALL ABOUT CHEAP for directly inputting the guitar into your computer. SCREW those USB port stuff, screw all those fancy shit. Do yourself a favor and get a guitar cord. Secondly, go to your nearest Radio Shack and buy a quarter inch to eighth inch converter for some absurdly cheap amount of money. Plug that guitar with the guitar cord and plug that female side of the converter to the unused side of the guitar cord and the male side into your microphone jack of your computer. Download some FREEWARE like Audacity and learn some effects. WOW! Freckin easy. A better quality for a cheap price.

Audacity can be tedious. I wish I was back in high school when we had a studio and Logic 7.0 back in the day. Live mixing with the local bands was soo fun using dynamic mics, condenser mics with the phantom power, and even the ribbon mics, the MOTU unit, the mixers and all the other equipment. Uhh, sorry for rambling on. Well, you're probably more concerned with post production rather than live mixing so Audacity should be enough to satisfy your needs.

TheDoomOfAllFires

VG Maniak

Hey Kabuki, take a look at this : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120390815938&ih=002&c...

This one is made for you XD !

----------

Check out my VGM cover channel ! :p
https://www.youtube.com/c/VGManiak

BooDoo

People

I think the particular guitar is far more important than the 'type' of guitar.

Especially for something that will go through amps/processing, you really have great control over the resulting tone. You are always manipulating the input from the basic character of your guitar, but it doesn't take much to make a recording of an electro-acoustic or straight electric indistinguishable from the other to casual listeners.

When I've wanted a new instrument, I take a month or two for one to strike me. Not the best system as I've gotten 2 guitars I'm pretty happy with and a guitar and bass I'm less than pleased with. Even these aren't true losses - now I have instruments to de-fret/mod :)

I also kind of bargain-hunt. If you buy on-brand, off the shelf, I think your odds get a lot better.

BooDoo

People

Kabukibear said:

What are some options as far as cheap but decent guitars? What do I need to be able to record directly to my computer.

To actually answer questions: I hear good things about Ovation and finding a decent Epiphone seems pretty easy. My guitars are all second-hand or no-brand, so I can't advise from personal experience.

Recording direct can be as simple as getting a 1/4"=>1/8" cable and running to your line-in. Or get a direct box that will add little gain pretty cheap (example), or get something like an AMPlug or effect pedal of your choosing to get more of a tone without software dependency.

If you can find a cheap periph with USB access that's great, and will likely reduce latency vs. the line-in on your audio card. If you are recording through your line-in, make sure you are using ASIO4ALL or an equivalent driver to make the pick-->note lag tolerable.

Even though I'm a beginner, I'd say that you should probably get an acoustic-electric guitar. I have an Ibanez one and it was pretty cheap and it works really well.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-AES10E-Mini-Jumbo-Acoustic-Electric-G...

I have the orange colored one.

Alexander

I'd like to second archard's opinion.

I play mostly on my classical guitar, and I own both acoustic-electric and electric guitars. When I do get in the mood for something different, I go for the straight electric guitar. An acoustic-electric will basically be what you have now, but with a pickup. Whereas an electric guitar will actually be considerably different, and allow you more freedom in some areas than an acoustic does.

Also, it seems that many acoustic-electrics seem to be over-priced for the quality of acoustic guitar, just for that bit of built in electronics. So if you are looking for bang for buck plus versatility, go electric.

-Alexander

Thirding archard and

musenji

Thirding archard and alexander, here. If you are looking for something different, to explore a new world, go electric.

In the meanwhile, for an entertaining time on the theme of going from Classical to another style, see the movie Crossroads starring Ralph Macchio (yes, the Karate Kid guy). Little-known but great guitar movie, with one of the most exciting endings I've seen.

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.