You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest #60 - Astronomy

Avaruussaha

Midsummer festives are behind, and with the site going offline for a few days, we've got a lengthy enough of a break, so, unto the next TC.

Astronomy by itself is kinda weird as a song theme, but what I'm really after here is something about stars mostly (or other celestial objects if you wish). The night sky, a tactical star map, a ballad of the stars or whatever, comets, supernova and so forth.

SciFi'ish sounds are much appreciated this time, but not required.
Aim for 1 minute +
Any style and instrument

18.7.2014 25.7.2014 will be the projected closing date, but lets see what happens. (Things happened, extended with a week)

Going on vacation this week

BigHeadClan

Going on vacation this week so should have time to do something, lets see if I can put my expensive pedal to work!

I really like this theme and

natenmn

I haven't had a chance to trim my hedges recently. Thanks for visiting anyway...

I really like this theme and am looking forward to creating something for it. I think I already have some ideas forming as to what I want to make.

I already made a song for my

hslesperance

I already made a song for my Astronomy class a few years ago as a creativitiy project https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PpX-RNU7V4

Since it was made before this contest though it's not an official submission and I probably won't come up with another song for the same theme.

And if everyone is okay with it, I'll go ahead and contact those other sites to generate some interest and maybe get a few more submissions than usual. There was another site called One Hour Compos that is similar to our contests, but you only have one hour to write the song http://compo.thasauce.net/compos/view/OHC That might be a good exercise for anyone here on forcing yourself to write quickly.

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

This is something I did last

Deiselc

Deiselc

This is something I did last night at about 3am when I couldnt sleep. Everything was recrded in one take without any planning so its very spontanious sounding.

When I listened to it back I think of it as a space battle then landing on a planet, discovering a cyberpunk style colony or city and experiencing all of the sounds walking around the streets.

http://www.gametabs.net/files/user/Deiselc/contest%2060%20space%20colony...

----------

Deiselc

Both cool in their own ways.

jit

Both cool in their own ways. A unique way to tell the story by hsl and dei had a cool bluesy atmospheric improv.

I like this theme. I'm all

iamHoustonian

You don’t need to see my identification…

I like this theme. I'm all about experimental, spacey sounds. I'd like to do something weird :-)
Been in the market for stuff to modify my low-end RG series Ibanez but maybe this contest can be perceived as a much needed kick in the ass to get it done :-D

Yes! Spacey sounds much

Avaruussaha

Yes! Spacey sounds much appreciated, Deiselc already had some kinda far out sounds in his, that is good. Still, lets remember its a potential piece in a game soundtrack.

I'll try to enter this one =)

hashel

I'll try to enter this one =)

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

The name tells everything

giovanniac

The name tells everything haha
Don't know if it fits the purpose of the competition but I think it's worth to show it!

https://soundcloud.com/giovanni-caracho/alone-in-space

----------

My original songs: https://soundcloud.com/giovanni-caracho

Nice, we got a few even with

Avaruussaha

Nice, we got a few even with the site offline for so long. I'm gonna push the closing date a week ahead just for all the lost days, for now.

Keep them coming!

Will try and hammer something

BigHeadClan

Will try and hammer something out this week

I'm about half way done with

natenmn

I haven't had a chance to trim my hedges recently. Thanks for visiting anyway...

I'm about half way done with mine. The extra week will be put to good use lol.

I really like all of the submissions so far.. some good spacey stuff in here.

Also, I worked more on my composition from the previous contest, and was wondering if anyone wanted to hear or give me some feedback on it. However, I was reluctant to post it here since I don't know if it would be appropriate to pimp it out in this thread. I consider it done for now until I take it to school in the fall and get feedback and suggestions from my composition instructor.

Re: I'm about half way done with

tiger child

i'd happily give it a listen and some feedback, natenmn.

also regarding this contest. i may try to record. but i've been pretty unreliable on submitting lately. so we'll see.

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

Here I come agian with my

Brody

Here I come agian with my Starlight theme. I tryed to create some interstellar, cosmic sounds with a little flavour of rockmusic :)
Soundcloud

I'd like to hear it too

Avaruussaha

I'd like to hear it too natenmn, even in this thread if you choose so, keeps it on the front page with some activity.

That was pretty cool Brody,

BigHeadClan

That was pretty cool Brody, not really my stle of music but still cool.

I noodled around with a

iamHoustonian

I noodled around with a space-ey jam last night. My Ibanez is stringless and on the back burner right now, so I used my old Epiphone with it's old crusty strings haha It did okay tho :^D
I still just do trial and error(mostly error) with audacity, trying to get my tunes to sound loud enough without going overboard haha I suck at it :-B

Carbonaceous Chondrite

Hows your ideas progressing

Avaruussaha

Hows your ideas progressing natenmn and BigHead? Could use a few more entries. (Or rather if theres already work into it, it would be a bit of a waste to just forget about them at this point)

Not well at all. lol

BigHeadClan

Not well at all. I will try and get something submitted tonight though.

I apologize, but I got

natenmn

I apologize, but I got totally side tracked since I was setting up an unofficial studio class for some of the summer students at my school. I had to learn a few Brouwer studies for it, and it took precedence over this.

Mine is almost done, and it is kinda set up for a loop, but I'd rather try to finish it so that it can have a real ending. I'll work on it tonight and try to get it in before the deadline.

I'll also post my updated previous entry as I'd love some critical feedback on it (btw, thanks Tigerchild and Ava for offering to give it a listen and some constructive criticism!).

I hope this isn't too late,

natenmn

I hope this isn't too late, but here is my submission:

The Second Destruction

Story: It has been only a few galactic cycles since the First Destruction, in which the majority of life residing in the inner galaxy was destroyed. However, most of the military was stationed in the outer rings to protect from pirates and fringe civilizations. The Galactic Federation has prepared a counter attack against the unknown enemy and are assembling for Space-folding Hyper Jump travel.

About: This is for string quartet and percussion (timpani and marimba). I haven't added the first violin voice yet, though, since I didn't have time... so I guess it's more like a string trio atm. I created my own scale and chords for this. The beginning is in 9/8 and the marimba primarily keeps the beat while the rest explores various rhythms. It then changes into 4/4, 3/4, 2/4, and 1/4. It doesn't really follow a specific form and continually builds on itself.

I'm not too keen on some parts as I felt kinda rushed, especially towards the second half.

Also, here is my updated entry from the last contest for anyone that would like to give me some feedback:

The Fall

All constructive criticism is appreciated even if I don't immediately put it to use. Don't worry about hurting my feelings as long as the feedback is well thought out.

I have a score available for both of these if anyone would like to see them.

The overall volume for both

hslesperance

The overall volume for both songs sounds very low to me, especially 'The Second Destruction'. Any chance you could increase it?

Sorry I don't have much useful feedback, but both do a good job of setting a certain mood for the related story.

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

Well, times up, I'm going to

Avaruussaha

Well, times up, I'm going to close it out tomorrow (sunday) after a few more careful listenings.

@hslesperance
Just checked out your non-entry submission, quite on the point thematically! I was totally expecting the human part to sound somewhat like it ended up being.

@natenmn (The Fall)
Hmm, it is a bit flat on the volume, the more powerful parts towards the end suffering from it the most. But that's an editing issue I suppose. That being said, I'm not completely sure what changed from the original, it's been some time since listening to it afterall. As it is, it really makes me think of, or reminds me of the inferno town theme from HoMM3. The strength of the pizzicato @1:38 compared to the backing strings seems a bit out of place to me, which just returns us to the editing table :P

Not much I can say in the end, google-sensei is my only teacher in arranging, editing and composing matters.

Uhh, wrote this post into

Avaruussaha

Uhh, wrote this post into notepad and after saving it forgot to stick it here, a day late, but here we go.

Had some hard time thinking on what basis to pick the most 'astronomical' track, and I ended up favoring stuff that has less to do with lifeforms, politics and such things. This reasoning closes out natenmn and Deiselc, even without the included story descriptions they are quite good at giving an impression of a story of a sort being told.

giovanniac - Alone in Space
Bleak, cold and vast. Lifeform or not, a drifter in space is quite a lonesome object. It might be for the best if 'it' cant think about it, its gonna be a long ride. (I'm not sure if the distortion/clipping of the piano is intentional, but it is a bit too strong for comfort.)

Brody - Starlight
I'm not so sure whats happening here, lively and cool for sure, I like how it sounds.

iamHoustonian - Carbonaceous Chondrite
Had to spend some time reading the wiki entry for this title, and I think the name fits. Unlike giovanniac's piece, this one doesn't give such a bleak image, more of a pretty and peaceful vibe.

Conclusion:
I'm going with giovanniac this time, against iamHoustonian it was a really tough decision (sorry Brody!), they paint very similiar images in my mind.
-----
Deiselc
A cool track, but in the end a bit too 'jam'. The ending/outro part is especially rad!

natenmn's submission is once again quite an epic telling, lots of potential for the first place, but as it happens, I was subconsciously after something simple and cold. Curse me and keep them coming!

Thanks for participating, keep them coming and see you next time!

Cool, I liked giovanniac's as

iamHoustonian

Cool, I liked giovanniac's as well! I agree it was a bit loud but good, none the less.

Yea a Carbonaceous Chondrite is basically a meteorite that is carrying organic compounds and elements that essentially(in theory)could bring life to a planet :)

It's great to see how you

giovanniac

It's great to see how you draw my song on your mind hehe
When I was finishing the song I heard the clipping and I thought it was sounding great in the song as a whole but sometime after posting it sounded really uncomfortable for me too. Sorry for my english... :/
Really liked everyone's job (especially "The Second Destruction" and "Starlight"!)

----------

My original songs: https://soundcloud.com/giovanni-caracho

Really liked all the entries

Deiselc

Deiselc

Really liked all the entries for this.

Yeah I agree mine sounded like a jam since it was basically me going a bit mad with effects in the middle of the night when I couldnt sleep. I was just trying to get the craziest sounds I could out of a guitar, I think at one point I recorded the feedback from pressing on the end of the unplugged lead with a ring modulator effect and a flanger.

----------

Deiselc

Congratulations, giovanniac!

natenmn

Congratulations, giovanniac! It was well deserved and you had an awesome track. I really liked everyone's submission.

Thanks Hsl and Ava for listening to my previous submission and giving me some feedback. I agree about the volume and it was bothering me (I thought it was just Sibelius with crappy sounds). However, I figured out how to increase the Sibelius output settings, so hopefully that will help in the future.

Avaruussaha said

The strength of the pizzicato @1:38 compared to the backing strings seems a bit out of place to me

This is more of the feedback I was looking for. Did you mean it was too loud or quiet? Sibelius has some pretty weird default settings for instrument volumes and they don't always match up with other instruments. In addition, my hearing in one ear isn't as good, so I can be a little oblivious to things like this.

I was originally more concerned with the actual writing/composition over the quality of the sounds, but I think I've changed my mind as I feel that I should have a good audio example for a something that I worked hard on.

Things like balance, volume/dynamics, whether or not transitions are effective, how well I portray the theme, general like/dislike of parts, etc., are mostly what I'm looking for on feedback. Of course, I'm ultimately open to any kind of feedback. I'm trying to learn, and I feel that there is a lot to learn from others, especially everyone here.

I was thinking about an

Avaruussaha

I was thinking about an orchestra playing sustain sounds, and somehow a single/few plucked violins stand out way stronger from the much 'louder' background. That being said I dont know much about such stuff, and how quietly those sustains can be played. It's mostly about relative volume levels throughout the track I guess. Ultimately I do think the composition is more important in these tracks we make. The rest is mostly for self improving, aiming for unachievable perfection *tilts glasses*.

As for Giovanniac, as the chosen winner this time, you are to host the next thread, #61. If you got any questions, ask away.

Heres the topic with all previous themes to check what has been done recently, might give you some ideas.
http://www.gametabs.net/forum/topic/21919