You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest #53 Overworld - 29/12/2013

Brody

Hello guys,
it's time for the next tune contest. So it's December and I won't bug you with christmas themes :)
I just decided to use Overworld as the theme.
Just feel free and show us how an overworld theme should sound.

The rules are as always:
- The song should last more than a minute
- You can use any instrument and style you like, or even midi sounds
- The deadline is the 29. December 2013. So we have christmas between this, if we need to extend we can do this.

If you need inspiration just click me or me or me
I hope every questions are answered. Just make some nice overworld themes.

Hmm. I never noticed that

Basisti94

Hmm. I never noticed that Final Fantasy IX's overworld theme has Melodies of Life's melody in it.

Anyhow, I'll try to find the time/inspiration to write something new, but I have written a piece that's meant to be an overworld theme previously so I might throw that in if I can't pull off anything else.

Re: Tune Contest #53 Overworld - 29/12/2013

jit

Brody said

Hello guys,
it's time for the next tune contest. So it's December and I won't bug you with christmas themes :)
I just decided to use Overworld as the theme.
Just feel free and show us how an overworld theme should sound.

The rules are as always:
- The song should last more than a minute
- You can use any instrument and style you like, or even midi sounds
- The deadline is the 29. December 2013. So we have christmas between this, if we need to extend we can do this.

If you need inspiration just click me or me or me
I hope every questions are answered. Just make some nice overworld themes.

Oh god, nostalgia overload. I just downloaded an Alundra PSX iso just so I could play it again.

Speaking of inspiration, click here or here as well. The entire OST screams "let's go on an adventure."

I technically finished mine, but I hate posting it early because then I find stuff I want to change and regret it. This time I'll let it sit for a week or so and come back to it with a fresh mind.

Re: Hmm. I never noticed that

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

FFIX was a tribute game. Parts of all the old FFs are seen all through the game.

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

Working on mine, hoping to

Avaruussaha

Working on mine, hoping to record some acoustic guitar, but first I have to actually learn to play whatever I write smoothly enough.

Congratulations, for your

Deaugustino

Congratulations, for your triumph(!), Brody. Also, here is my entry for the Overworld tune.

Been doing a ton of jammin'

iamHoustonian

You don’t need to see my identification…

Been doing a ton of jammin' on my new loop pedal :)

The first part of my entry I imagined leaving a cave village then an RPG-esque abrupt change to my overworld song.
SNOWVERWORLD

Thanks Deaugustino :) I never

Brody

Thanks Deaugustino :)
I never knew, that FF9 was a tribute game but if you say I see many paralles. Nice to know.

There's still 6 days left but

jit

There's still 6 days left but I'm surprised to see only 2 entries so far for a very good theme. People must be busy with work/end of semester/holiday plans.

I like the two entries. Augistino, every entry I hear feels like you just stopped playing Minecraft and decided to write a music score. I think IAH captured the soothing feeling of snow and the tranquility of snow landscapes.

Hopefully we get to see more tracks by new people and some of the regulars (hsle, basisti, BHC, soundnstuff, avarusha, etc.).

Keep em comin people

Gonna be closer to the

Avaruussaha

Gonna be closer to the deadline before I find the time to finish my entry, luckily I'm somewhat far into it already.

Let's see how many entries

Brody

Let's see how many entries are coming until the end. If there aren't enough we can extend. Not everyone have time to make music at christmas so we shouldn't make pressure about this :)
A merry christmas from me to all too at this point^^

Thanks Jit. Maybe there'll be

iamHoustonian

You don’t need to see my identification…

Thanks Jit. Maybe there'll be some rad last minute entries!

Here is

Avaruussaha

Here is mine:
Overworld

Recording the acoustic guitar didn't work out quite like I wished it would have, working with an external digital recorder makes the re-recording process quite tedious. This is also the first thing I'm outputting using Reaper, I suppose its good practice.

Loops for a second round after the first minute.

hey everyone, happy holidays!

soundsandstuff

hey everyone, happy holidays! can i have an extension? i want to submit something, pleease

heyy of course, I extend

Brody

heyy of course, I extend until next year :D just say, when you're ready. Maybe somebody else is also working on a song.

Nice Avuu! I like the song as

jit

Nice Avuu! I like the song as well as the mix.

Well, I thought I was gonna get back to my song and edit it from when I started it, but I gotten lazy so I'll just post it. It's a contrast to the soothing overworld themes posted so far. Staccato pumping bass? Check. Excessive snare rolls? Check. My song is influenced from Zelda/Alundra style games.

Once upon a time, Brody set to find the Rainbow Crystals that was said to grant the user the thing he/she wanted the most. He made his way from town to town and befriended many people, some of which accompanied him on his journey. They faced many perils running through the vast plains of Auri, to the swamps or Surrealean, the desert of Hasheli, and through Big Head Mountain. They faced many hardships of swamp monsters, ghouls, demons, sand golems, and flying vultures along the way. But though their ups and downs, they created an unbreakable bond. Upon reaching the pinnacle of Big Head Mountain, lie the Rainbow Crystals. After careful examination, he realized that they were nothing special and that their journey was for naught. With a somber look, he looked to his friends, but they were all smiling. Brody regains his composure and hit an epiphany. He asked himself, "All this time, did I journey to seek, or did I seek to journey?" He looked at friends who have consoled him numerous times thoughout their experiences, smiled, and realized the rainbow crystals indeed granted his wish. Leaving Big Head Mountain, Brody and his friends continued on their journey. Be it where the sun rises, or where the sun sets, through ocean tides, or where the wind blows. There he goes.
Where the Wind Blows

hey guys, my entry will be up

soundsandstuff

hey guys, my entry will be up in a little while,

here it is! Doge Overworld

wasn't able to make a drawing for this one unfortunately, but i do the next one,

Nice story jit. We should use

Brody

Nice story jit. We should use this as a scrolable text in the winners video at the gametabs youtube channel. So we don't need a drawing this time.

Is anyone still working or thinking on working for a song? If not I will finish this at the 4th january.

At first I want to wish

Brody

At first I want to wish everyone here a happy new year :)
OK guys we're done with this contest I think. Here are the results:
Deaugustino: I'm thinking of an celtic overworld while listening to your song. You hit the theme well. I realy could imagine this in a winter part of a map from a 2D Final Fantasy game.
iamHoustonian: Ohh realy nice and in the right season for a snow overworld theme. This is also a pretty one. I realy like the tones you used and the melody.
Avaruussaha: Wow what should I say, I totaly like this one. Your acoustic tone is very nice. And the whistelings fits very well to the rest.
jit: I also realy love this song. It would be a great overworld theme for the jurney to a big fight. It sound perfectly with all the little sounds and the strings you used.
soundsandstuff: I'm glad you also did a song for this contest and it's also pretty cool. It's more happy than the other entrys ;)

So what should I say. like always all entrys where good, but I have to choose. So the winner iiiis:
Avaruussaha
I hope you had fun in this contest and congrats to everyone for their great songs. Let's see what theme comes at next :)

Congratulations, Avaruussaha!

Deaugustino

Congratulations, Avaruussaha! But no mention of jit in the results(?)...

Although he commented on his

Avaruussaha

Although he commented on his story earlier, hm? Hope he didnt forget to listen to it!

Oh yeah... I didn't have to

Basisti94

Oh yeah... I didn't have to make a new entry but I had something suitable. Just totally forgot to post it :P

Ahh sorry my fault. I heard

Brody

Deaugustino said

Congratulations, Avaruussaha! But no mention of jit in the results(?)...

Ahh sorry my fault. I heard it and wrote the comment but have overwritten it by copy and paste then. I updated my post. Thanks god, I wrote the results in a Textdocument before I posted it here while listened to the songs. :D

good job ava! Can't wait to

jit

good job ava! Can't wait to see what's in store for the next one

Congrats Avarussaha, the

hslesperance

Congrats Avarussaha, the beginning makes me think of this song starting around 0:21

http://www.gametabs.net/lamento-beyond-void/cat-singing-songs

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

wow thats kinda scary...

Avaruussaha

wow thats kinda scary...

congeratulations ava! cool

soundsandstuff

congeratulations ava! cool entries made by everyone!

Wasn't quite expecting

Avaruussaha

Wasn't quite expecting getting the ball back so soon, I even prepared by changing the strings on my guitar and expecting new microphones any day now. Oh well :P

I'm thinking of a theme to take off a bit from the rpg'ish tunes we've been having.

ohh I didn't remebered, that

Brody

ohh I didn't remebered, that you won the last contest too. I hope this is no problem. It's so hard to choose a winner here :)

Sounds like some serious

Avaruussaha

Sounds like some serious first world problems :P We'll be fine with this, expect the new thread soonish.