You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

VGL

anandjones

RomUlator

Who here has been to one of the Video Games Live concerts? I really want to go to one, but I live in NZ, and there has only been one show here.

Re: VGL

archard

I really wanna go too.... but they aren't coming near me for a long time.

I know nozzie went to the show in Salt Lake City recently. Maybe he'll chime in.

----------

DANG

Stamen47

no0bzOrG

"archard" posted:

nozzie went to the show in Salt Lake City recently.

Nozzie AND Stamen :D I went to the one on Saturday. Which one did you go to, nozzie?

I thought it was cool...but I was kind of disappointed. They seemed to focus more on making it grandiose instead of focusing on the musicality, which was too bad because that's not what I like about video game music. So we got songs like the halo theme and one winged angel with Tommy whats-his-name dancing around on stage with an electric guitar...which was cool, but not terribly pleasing musically. Based on the happy screams, I'd say most people weren't as picky as me (which is probably a good thing, I'd hate if everyone was crazy like me). I would have loved a good, unamplified and unadultered symphony experience that had more music from games outside of the current generation (the retro medley was awesome, though). I will admit that the metal gear solid and medal of honor songs gave me chills. Oh, and Martin Leung was really good, I especially liked his final fantasy medley. His air platform theme was kind of sloppy, though...but nobody seemed to mind. I'm really glad I went, because it was really cool and exciting. I'm not sure I'd go again, though, mostly due to the $50 price tag.

----------

Is this the end of zombie Shakespeare?

archard

That's a little dissapointing Stamen. I think it'd be cool to have a video game concert where it was just nothing but solo and duet guitar and piano pieces, or something like that. I guess they have to make it grandiose though, to interest the casual fan.

----------

DANG

anandjones

RomUlator

Yeah I really want to go to one, they do Final Fantasy to Zelda to Mario etc. right? I watched this VGL One Winged Angel video on Youtube and there was this guy who was practically screaming when they said "the game... is Final Fantasy". I had to turn down the speakers.

----------

[img:217bn61z]http://member.square-enix.com/na/data/signature/14477.gif[/img:217bn61z]
[url=http://ubdesigner.com:217bn61z][img:217bn61z]http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/395/ubd4649px4.png[/img:217bn61z][/url:217b

Stamen47

no0bzOrG

"anandjones" posted:

hey do Final Fantasy to Zelda to Mario etc. right?

Lets see if I can remember the set list...

costume contest
Retro video game tribute
Had somebody in audience play space invaders with orchestra providing music/effects
metal gear solid theme
medal of honor theme
civilizations 4
Martin Leung Final Fantasy medley
advent rising
zelda tribute

intermission...I think...

I'm a little blurry here...I know they did a frogger thing around this time, similar to the space invaders thing.
mario tribute
Martin Leung playing two mario songs
Halo songs
one winged angel
castlevania

I'm probably missing a song or two, but I think that's about it. About the final fantasy and zelda tribute, it seemed like they just played the main zelda and mario themes over and over, which was good due to the orchestration...but I would have been happier if they had played various themes from various games.

I'm not trying to put them down, and I'd say definitely go if they come to town, just don't got there with expectations of something it's not, like I did.

"archard" posted:

I guess they have to make it grandiose though, to interest the casual fan.

Exactly. most gamers aren't going to be musically savvy, so they need to make it more than just the music

----------

Is this the end of zombie Shakespeare?

Jammy XIII

Wielder of the Frop

arch...there may not be one coming to your area any time soon...
but im in England! there will never be any coming to me EVER.
i would see them if i could but that would require me to travel to the US of A by plane or boat...neither of which appeal to me.....

sorry about my rant....im feeling a bit pressured at the moment with the GCSE's coming up and revision...

im ranting again arent i?

----------

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail

A true friend will be sitting next to you saying 'Damn, we fucked up!'

archard

"Jammy XIII" posted:

arch...there may not be one coming to your area any time soon...
but im in England! there will never be any coming to me EVER.
i would see them if i could but that would require me to travel to the US of A by plane or boat...neither of which appeal to me.....

sorry about my rant....im feeling a bit pressured at the moment with the GCSE's coming up and revision...

im ranting again arent i?

Not true, ol' Jammy. They came to London in 2006 and according to the tour schedule they're coming back to London "soon". Also they go to other places in Europe, like Sweden, Portugal, France and Spain. A stone's throw away from you basically.

----------

DANG