You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Auditioning to get into a local art school.

Noanzer

Metalhead

Yeah. I've got a month or so to get ready. I'm auditioning as a cellist and guitarist. Does anyone have any good song suggestions for my guitar audition? It doesn't have to be video game related. I've been playing for almost a year and am pretty decent.

Re: Auditioning to get into a local art school.

ronito

Decisive Battler

Hmm...depends on how selective the school is and what you're trying to get in to do. Fox example a Jazz/Rock guitar audition would be totally different than a classical one. But most art schools focus on classical guitar.

If you're going classical I'd say usually Etudes or Studies show that you're technical and can make something out of nothing. The staples of Segovia's 24 Sor studies are pretty good at showing potential and most of them aren't that bad #6 is very nice. If you're up for it (but only after 1 year it might not be a good idea) the Villa-Lobos Etudes are very good for showing technical ability, but some of them are monsters. Lastly, if you wanna go hip/modern/go out on a limb Brouwer's Estudios Sencillos are very nice and are a good challenge to properly interpret.

archard

I think it'd be a great idea to play something video game related. Not just because video game music is awesome, but because it is relatively unknown outside our own little world.

Some songs you might consider playing (assuming you want classical pieces):

Kabukibear's Besaid Island
Kabukibear's Lilium
Stamen47's Eternity: Memory of Lightwaves
Stamrn47's The Sight of Spira
Ron's Battle With Gilgamesh

----------

DANG

ronito

Decisive Battler

I dunno. Sure you could pull off a Sugiyama or Haneda piece that no one's ever heard of. But I've found that doing auditions they're not looking for something new. They're looking for something they know so they can gauge how well you can play what they already know. Sure it might not be so serious, but usually they have a set of pieces you're allowed to play. It obviously doesn't so you're free to play what you want.

Noanzer

Metalhead

Yeah. I went to the open house a few days ago and asked them what the interview/audition would be like. They said in order to get in you have to prove yourself to be a determined art student and prove your competence. I'll also have to prove I can play chords by name which I'm pretty sure I can do.

Jammy XIII

Wielder of the Frop

If you want something a bit different then i would try the theme song from Firefly, half classical, half western...sorta

okay i Might be a bit biast (Firefly being one of my favourite series) but the theme song is genuinely excellent

----------

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail

A true friend will be sitting next to you saying 'Damn, we fucked up!'

ronito

Decisive Battler

For fun you should show up with a guitar hero guitar.

"Look I know it's not a real guitar, but check this out. FREEBIRD!!"

Noanzer

Metalhead

"Jammy XIII" posted:

If you want something a bit different then i would try the theme song from Firefly, half classical, half western...sorta

okay i Might be a bit biast (Firefly being one of my favourite series) but the theme song is genuinely excellent

...I love Firefly...

But yeah. I'm thinking about doing that song Death on Two Feet by queen. Cause I know they said they wanted to hear something with electric guitar.

Stamen47 tabbed out the Ballad of Serenity, although I'm yet to play it, it looks satisfactory.

Stamen47

no0bzOrG

I applied for the university of utah the other day, and I think I also have to audition within the next month or so. My jazz guitar teacher told me that it's great to have perfect technique and be able to wow them, but the biggest determining factor is sight reading. It might just be for their specific school if none of their guitarists can sight read very well (guitarists are notorious for not being able to read sheet music, let alone sight read it - also, the classical guitar program is brand new), but you should ask them about that and probably be prepared to sight read something.

----------

Is this the end of zombie Shakespeare?

ronito

Decisive Battler

Jazz is sight reading city though because it's an ensemble instrument. If you're going to Jazz you gotta be prepared to play scales in different modes on demand and be able to sight read. I've done a few auditions for classical guitar and they've ranged from "play whatever you want...but it'd better be good." to "Here's a list of pieces pick 3." but they've all had a bit of sight reading involved, from some basic Carrulli stuff to Bach . For Rock I've noticed that it's enough if you can play chords and be able to play chords that are given.

So Stamen who's teaching now at the U? Are you going for jazz or classical?

Stamen47

no0bzOrG

"ronito" posted:

So Stamen who's teaching now at the U? Are you going for jazz or classical?

I actually think i'm going to major in composition with a minor in computer science or something. Since all music majors are required to have private lessons, however, I think I'm going to stick with classical. As for who's teaching at the U now...the two names I know are Tully Cathey and Todd Woodbury.

----------

Is this the end of zombie Shakespeare?

ronito

Decisive Battler

Tully I don't know but I've heard Todd play he's a good guy. Good luck with everything!