You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

ff Vii-Ix artbook

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

hello there friends and loved ones I thought i'd share a couple pictures from an artbook I purchased a couple of years ago that I just re-found. Its some of the designs/sketches for the backgrounds and enviroments of the final fantasy games 7-9. The bad news is, I couldn't find a prescanned version of it on the internet (especially because I have no idea what to search for because I cannot decipher the cryptic ancient rune language they used in this book) the to link yo guys to, so instead I just scanned a couple pages (very poorly I might add)

i'm sorry its so dirty

First off, Final fantasy VII, I don't know shit about any of the places here.

Uh

Final fantasy VIII
This would be way cooler if I could read what the fuck it was saying

I don't think I ever got this far I have no idea what this is, but I find all this detail and use of color very arousing

glabadia garden?

and this is apparently where you find bahamut, so pretty

this guy who worked on this is way too fucking patient for his own good. look at that attention to detail.

qweh

one day I too will be able to draw buildings like this

the sexiest final fantasy

i'm sorry i'm so bad at scanning qq

this was that place in treno right?

some of the earlier sketches for the lindblum station

detail man

I loved the festival of the hunt

This area was pretty cool too.

seriously I must have been trying to scan this badly

more lindblum

I hope you enjoyed (there were more pictures, but wowie, scanning takes a long ass time.)

THIS IS COOL ! Thanks for

hashel

THIS IS COOL ! Thanks for sharing !

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

Is there anything in

auriplane

Is there anything in particular from that you want translated?

The one where you said "This would be way cooler if I could read what the fuck it was saying" is kind of difficult to translate since the right side is cut off.

----------

Auriplane!!

glad you like it too

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

glad you like it too hashel!
the page labeled final fantasy Ix please :J

Rough translation: Final

auriplane

Rough translation:

Final Fantasy IX

The art director, Hideo Minaba, who had also worked on Final Fantasy Tactics, has this really talented and unique deformed art style for video game worlds, and I can remember how bewildered I was the first time I saw how different his prototype line art designs were from our line art up to that point. When he sent us the design lines, at first, (Nobito) Sue and (Iho) Narita were both a bit worried--it was mostly retakes! We continued on for a while using trial and error, until we somehow got close enough to Minaba-style that we didn't need so many revisions, and thankfully we finally got the hang of his uniquely deformed line art.

Since "Final Fantasy: The Movie" was under development in Hawaii at the same time, we got used to not being able to meet very much directly, and we ended up having some pretty memorable exchanges back-and-forth over email. Minaba's unique world design is just amazing, and the characters and story make the game fun to play over and over. I'm really glad that Kusanagi had a part to play in the making of this game.

(Yoji Nakaza)

Translation notes:

- Repeatedly uses the word "sekaikan", which means "world view" literally, but is a word to describe the scenery design in the video game.

- Minaba has a really unique "sekaikan" involving "deformed" line art. This is a Japanese art term, which I suppose you probably know?

- "Retakes" are when an animation company (like Kusanagi) is given revisions to make to the art they've done so far.

I'm not too good at Japanese, so sorry for any mistakes :-D

----------

Auriplane!!

lol all I could read was art

karathrow

lol all I could read was art director for final fantasy tactics and FINAL FANTASY ZA MOOBEE

also lol @ the sign on the ff8 pic saying "WELCOME TO THIS"

FF9 had the best art

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

FF9 had the best art style.
It was a great combination of the old and new in FF.
Had a great feel to it and was fun to look at.
Even when it came to "advance/future" areas in the game,
it still managed to keep an old fantasy feel and not
go down the generic cyber punk road.

Mass Effect Universe is a FANTASTIC artbook if you ever see it at a book store.
Seriously look at it sometime, Even if you don't know anything about the game.
The art is amazing.

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

Re: Rough translation:Final

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

auriplane said

- Minaba has a really unique "sekaikan" involving "deformed" line art. This is a Japanese art term, which I suppose you probably know?

uh, do you mean if I know if its Japanese or not, or have I ever heard of the phrase?
yes to the first one, no to the second. Never heard of someone calling line art deformed~

yes yes, the ff9 artwork is awesome. I hate hearing people complain about the character design in 9, I thought most of the designs were interesting, maybe not visually appealing, but definitely interesting (except for quina... what were they thinking...)
i'll give a look into the mass effect artbook, but to be honest, I don't really like the design of those blue alien people.

@ the colorful FF8 one:

Hakoria

Laon King

@ the colorful FF8 one: Shuumi village I believe
@ 'galbadia garden?', nay it's in esthar, was one of Odine's labs and the last (iirc) Laguna flashback takes place there: working as a janitor/prisoner to get his rori Ellone back, Ward was already mute et all at that point. Disc 3 stuff. Edea's orphanage is impressive as hell, same for the Bahamut/Ultima Ruins exterior <:

Got a french book here on FF to FF12 which is also for one half a collection of artworks of every game (from characters to scenery to CGs) along with more info on each game. Don't remember where I found it and how long I've had it, but it was an instant buy.

Re: @ the colorful FF8 one:

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Hakoria said

@ the colorful FF8 one: Shuumi village I believe
@ 'galbadia garden?', nay it's in esthar, was one of Odine's labs and the last (iirc) Laguna flashback takes place there: working as a janitor/prisoner to get his rori Ellone back, Ward was already mute et all at that point. Disc 3 stuff. Edea's orphanage is impressive as hell, same for the Bahamut/Ultima Ruins exterior <:

Got a french book here on FF to FF12 which is also for one half a collection of artworks of every game (from characters to scenery to CGs) along with more info on each game. Don't remember where I found it and how long I've had it, but it was an instant buy.

well I never played past disk one in ff8, so that would explain why I have no idea what i'm talking about. I also have no idea what YOU'RE talking about right now hehee.

Link me to a digital copy of it now
I don't care if its in french
I can look at the pretty pictures

Pshhhh.....the detail on that

Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Pshhhh.....the detail on that Lindblum exterior picture...my mind was officially blown when I saw that.

ooooohhhhh....oohh goooddd I

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

ooooohhhhh....oohh goooddd I love it.

i want moar =O~ these

Clanver

Pixelfingers cant play

i want moar =O~
these pictures sure look like the finished work ingame.

thx for sharing with us :>, i dont remember seeing something like that up till now~

Re: i want moar =O~these

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Clanver said

i want moar =O~
these pictures sure look like the finished work ingame.

thx for sharing with us :>, i dont remember seeing something like that up till now~

heheh
theres actually a ton more for each game (save for maybe ff9, I scanned almost every one from there).

Did anyone ever play a game called front mission 3 or the bouncer? it has a lot of art for both of those games, but i've never heard of either of them so I didn't bother scannign them.