You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest #30 - Arrangement

kenor

The Cardsharp

Arrangement

Okay, this is a little bit strange theme (I hope it can be accepted), here's how I imagine it: you take an existing piece and build your own composition on it. Take a baroque piece and turn it into 8-bit song, metal to jazz or vice versa. Change the melody, harmony, instrumentation, whatever, but make sure the original composition can still be recognized (at least a little tiny bit!) in your creation. The more jazzy and original you can get, the more points for you! Post both the original and your own composition.

At least one minute
Any audio format
Any instruments/style

what a horrible idea. who

tiger child

what a horrible idea. who would ever do this?

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

Is this on olbligation to

hashel

Is this on olbligation to change the style of the Song.

For exemple, if i take an OST song, is it a problem if it still sounds like an OST song ?

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

Re: what a horrible idea. who

kenor

The Cardsharp

tiger child said

what a horrible idea. who would ever do this?

As I've said, if the theme is not acceptable, I can come up with another theme. But I think (from my own experience) that arranging music can benefit your composing skill greatly. And that's also what these contests are a little bit about, to learn in a fun way.

hashel said

Is this on olbligation to change the style of the Song.

For exemple, if i take an OST song, is it a problem if it still sounds like an OST song ?

No problem at all, the point is to change the original X enough to be called an X arrangement or a composition inspired by X. But the more creative you get, the better.

----------

The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth - it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.

i know what song im gonna do!

Jacob31593

i know what song im gonna do!

no no, kenor. it was sarcasm.

tiger child

no no, kenor. it was sarcasm. just look at the last song i recorded that i posted here.

----------

-brick road

This is a great idea! I'm

srvjimiandkurt

This is a great idea! I'm excited to try something.

ahhh, i can kind of hear how

Jacob31593

ahhh, i can kind of hear how mine is going to come out already, im excited to make it happen :D

I already did the half of

hashel

I already did the half of mine :D

Maybe i'll try to record it an not only use GP6 sound ^^

----------

Arrangement you say?

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

Arrangement you say?

I don't see much of an issue,

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

I don't see much of an issue, But isn't this how we normally tend to do all our covers? XD Most of my themes already fit this.

The very act of taking a flute song and making a fingerstyle tab on it pretty much sums of most of this website.

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

maybe you should do something

Jacob31593

maybe you should do something a little more in depth than that!

ahh ahh.... ah! so i

soundsandstuff

ahh

ahh....

ah! so i interpret this to mean i can make a remix? xO that's what i'll do!

WHY DID I TRY TO MAKE A JAZZ

Jacob31593

WHY DID I TRY TO MAKE A JAZZ REMIX WHEN I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT JAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Re: maybe you should do something

kenor

The Cardsharp

Jacob31593 said

maybe you should do something a little more in depth than that!

>this

----------

The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth - it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.

Here is some Jazz for you :

hashel

Here is some Jazz for you :

Jazz.jpg
maxi-jazz_269875.jpg

----------

Ok, let me get this straight,

jit

Ok, let me get this straight, it doesn't have to be a game song right? Cause I've been working on a non-gaming piece.

And would something like this be acceptable? (This is not my entry, just part of something I completely never felt like finishing and has been sitting in purgatory in my computer).

Remixed Song

Re: Ok, let me get this straight,

kenor

The Cardsharp

Of course it doesn't. Anything that meets the requirements is acceptable.

----------

Are we able to post multiple

jit

Are we able to post multiple entries, or is it limited to 1?

I think it's limited to one,

Hakoria

Laon King

I think it's limited to one, but if you re-submit another entry before the deadline you can precise which you want to officially submit.
But then, kenor gets to decide such things so it's up to him. I haven't seen any contest where people could submit multiple entries though, but I haven't been here that long either.

(No subject)

SalemJenet

Total Recording Noob

Murzain

Well I'm gonna try to do something but I have no good recording equipment so it'll probably end up being low quality/MIDI.

----------

http://soundcloud.com/etcetera-etc
Is it really a sin if we both come out even?

Well here I go

Murzain

This came together incredibly quickly. I'm especially impressed at myself because I've never done anything like this before. I'm sure there's a lot wrong with it that I don't even realize, but here I go anyway.

I chose the ever-popular "Song of Storms" from Legend of Zelda. My most notable changes to the arrangement are that I turned it into a robotic dance song as well as the fact this is in 4/4 rather than 3/4. Hope you enjoy my quirky take on this awesome song!
http://www.gametabs.net/files/user/Murzain/Song%20of%20Storms.mp3

and the original tune for reference
http://youtu.be/43IPAGw01IY

----------

http://soundcloud.com/etcetera-etc
Is it really a sin if we both come out even?

I did Danny Brown's Grown

srvjimiandkurt

I did Danny Brown's Grown Up:

Here's the original:

And here's mine:

I've kinda been on a two-chord kinda thing lately. And I just recently heard this song, and loved it and wanted to jam over it. So I made a live loop of it and played it for a while.

damn 11 minutes, its fine and

jit

damn 11 minutes, its fine and all... but i feel bad for the guy who has to sift through all the originals AND the remakes. Since it's the last week, there will be alot more entries I think

I'm surprised there aren't

jit

I'm surprised there aren't many entries. People seemed really excited for this one. Maybe more people will turn in in the last 3 days.

I took a very high energy, upbeat piece and made it a more relaxing tone.
Song 1 Original
Song 1

I know the piece is already a cover, but my inspiration came from this version. If I had to choose 1 of the 2 as my entry it would be this one. I made a retro 8 bit chip tune version of this hit.
Song 2 Original
Song 2

Re: I'm surprised there aren't

tiger child

the mad world cover sounds more like the original tears for fears than gary jules. but either way, its fun.

----------

-brick road

hey guys, here's my

soundsandstuff

hey guys, here's my entry!

original version:

Chrono Trigger: Guardia Castle

my version:

Punches A Castle

i'm a try to make a drawing too before i go to bed xO

Contest extended by one day,

kenor

The Cardsharp

Contest extended by one day, friday is the only day I'm having a working internet connection till the end of the month :/

----------

Damn I forgot about this. I

Giogiogio4

Damn I forgot about this.
I actually finished an arrangement of this type right before this.
Don't have time to finish up the new one to submit so i'll use that.

Original

Mine

----------

Damn, forgot about this... No

hashel

Damn, forgot about this... No time for recording :/ I try to end my work :X

The level of the other entries is too damn high ~~

EDIT : Well it's maybe more a tribute than an arrangement... I took the main melody of "the ecstasy of gold" by Ennio Morricone and build something with... The result is really different of the original ^^'

Original
Mine :
Those Who Were Fooled By Gold

----------

Re: Damn, forgot about this... No

srvjimiandkurt

^Ahhh man. That song is soooo good. One of my favorite Ennio Morricone songs. There's some remix I've heard of it that is even better than the original in my opinion. I really like your version too!

Here's the remix I was talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub5p1aKUkxg

hashel, great song choice!

jit

hashel, great song choice! Props

Glad you like it... i was a

hashel

Glad you like it... i was a bit dubious about the quality of my arrangement, because the other entries are really good ^^

----------

Re: Glad you like it... i was a

tiger child

anytime you go after a morricone track, you're putting a big mountain in front of yourself. far and away the most complex of any choice so far. sometimes the track seemed to lose direction, or maybe not that so much as just sort of linger, in a kind of grey area. but when you'd bring it back home to the main melody it was refreshing. i definitely applaud the track choice and having a go at such a great piece of music. its a tough nut to crack though.

i saw someone say there was a remix better than the original, which i can appreciate someone feeling that way, but have to disagree heavily. you cannot get better than what ennio morricone arranges. if you've ever put headphones on and listened to any of those soundtracks on vinyl, your ears let you know just then that it's sort of all downhill from there.

----------

-brick road

Agree ! The original track is

hashel

Agree ! The original track is so good :D

----------

RESULTS

kenor

The Cardsharp

Murzain - Song of Storms: I really liked your rendition, especially the canonically recurring theme in the second half.

srvjimiandkurt - Grown Up: Wow, that was a long one and I admit that I listened to it while not really concentrating on it. It was a pleasant listening and I surely enjoyed it more than the original, heh.

jit - Mad World: Now that was a change of the style. As tiger child said, it also reminded me of the original Tears for Fears version.

jit - Livin' La Vida Loca: The jazzy feel of your rendition makes me feel kinda depressed. In a good way.

soundsandstuff - Punches A Castle: It sounded a lot like a straightforward cover (don't get me wrong - a very good cover) to me, but I imagined looser arrangements for this contest.

Giogiogio4 - Beyond the Dark Sun: Very relaxing cover. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

hashel - Those Who Were Fooled By Gold: Morricone is a tough one to arrange indeed. To just loosely base the composition on the original might be the best approach imo.

This is a tough call, for the entries are very balanced this time. After a while, I decided that Gio is the winner of this round with jit and Murzain close behind him and the others very close behind them. Congrats, and see you in September.

----------

niiice! congrats to gio and

soundsandstuff

niiice! congrats to gio and all the enterants, we had some really cool and creative tracks in this one, can't wait for the next!

Yep congrats to Gio :) What

hashel

Yep congrats to Gio :) What will be the next contst ? :o

----------

yay I won lol, didn't see

Giogiogio4

yay I won lol, didn't see that coming XD

I will get on this asap.

----------