You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Gio's SOLO Contest of the Month!

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

So here it is, If this goes well we can keep doing these!
Everyone of all skill levels are welcome to enter.
from Slow melody liners to Hard wanking :)

I have Included a Link to the Track as well The MP3 File!
( Check the Video's Page for the MP3 Link. )

For our first time, I used a simple yet very common chord progression
In E Minor ( standard tuning on guitar ). C - D - em.

I also gave the track enough of a dramatic change that you can give it your own
overall melody, To break the funk of some tracks that repeat the same thing
over and over and over. SO BE CREATIVE!!! ( Add effects and other instruments )

----------------------------------------------------------------

Resources: FREE!!

free AMP Sims and Cab loaders( really good as well )

http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com ( Don't forget to Google "free cab Impulses" for these )

http://Soundcloud.com ( Great free audio hosting!)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Due Date: Aug: 14

Entires
-----------

Tiger Child's

I can't seem to solo over

fatalfable

I can't seem to solo over this xD

----------

Visual snow makes you want to go boom.
""jajajaja?" are you trying to make yourself sound like a fatass?"

its likely you're having

tiger child

its likely you're having trouble because it is a bit incoherent.

in hopes to be constructive, and for the sake of encouraging people of all skill levels (should a solo contest indeed be necessary), the backing track should be relatively straight forward. the first part is busy and overall the track is inconsistent. i'd also go as far as to say the guitar is too loud in the mix and would likely clash with any solo track.

and really the big thing for me isnt this track. its that this contest is missing a pivotal vein that leads to the heart of this site - anything video game related. what if the backing track was a section of a track from a game? whether its slow and breezy, or driven and ridiculous - just something from a video game. just to keep it relevant and also, more often than not, give people some basis for how they want to approach it. solos are - in essence - bridges in songs. so having a context for them is important. melodies, foundations. i think familiar backing tracks would also get people more interested in participating.

"soloing for the sake of soloing must be discouraged."
-dolores umbridge

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

Re: its likely you're having

Jacob31593

tiger child said

-dolores umbridge

you're silly XD

hashel

tiger child said

what if the backing track was a section of a track from a game?

+9999

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

Giogiogio4

tiger child said

its likely you're having trouble because it is a bit incoherent.

in hopes to be constructive, and for the sake of encouraging people of all skill levels (should a solo contest indeed be necessary), the backing track should be relatively straight forward. the first part is busy and overall the track is inconsistent. i'd also go as far as to say the guitar is too loud in the mix and would likely clash with any solo track.

and really the big thing for me isnt this track. its that this contest is missing a pivotal vein that leads to the heart of this site - anything video game related. what if the backing track was a section of a track from a game? whether its slow and breezy, or driven and ridiculous - just something from a video game. just to keep it relevant and also, more often than not, give people some basis for how they want to approach it. solos are - in essence - bridges in songs. so having a context for them is important. melodies, foundations. i think familiar backing tracks would also get people more interested in participating.

-dolores umbridge

1. There are music writing contest for "50's style" music. So no it shouldn't be just "video games" Since yes we do have ANIME themes as well.Games like Devil may cry and so forth have Plenty of "heavy" music.

2. 2 It's a THREE chord progression and fairly simple to play over. the Intro is an "intermission" before the climax solo and PLAYS THE SAME 3 chords just held out, then with rhythm and then held out again. With a brief empty part in between them to give the user room to do whatever they want ( either it be a quick tap, pinch or scream ). Plus this chord sequence is used Allot in film and video games.

3. It's rather simple, I played solos over it all day. And in any real band situation when writing a Solo you can't expect it to be a simple bland track that goes in every direction. You get whats giving, and with 5 mins or so thought and messing around with the e Minor penatonic it's rather easy. This track requires you to think a little bit about how you want to transition, From writing your own into melody so it has more strength later on Or simply shred the whole thing.

4. Loudness? Then Turn down the mix. The guitar is mostly left with a little right to give it room. Any amateur mixer knows that when recording lead you will have to Double or sometimes quad track the lead due to the nature of the sound always being thin when put into a mix. Panning the tracks differently of course.

And that "quote" is rather bad, if you don't know how to solo and play with Chords then how can you ever Improvise? Improvisation is very important in Music, and they both go hand in hand. But like I said, the mood can be set to however you choose, You could easily make it more video game sounding by adding other parts, From keys to strings and so forth. It's all up to you.

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

tiger child

alright. i'll bite. but just this once.

caps locking a word isnt going to emphasize it any more than the context of a sentence already could. i understand the structure of the recording you did - it has nothing to do with comprehension. the fewer the chords doesnt mean it makes something more coherent. the starts and stops suggest you already have a solo in mind when you're recording the track. what im saying is that you recorded something that catered to what you wanted, but didnt consider that anyone else wouldnt approach it...as you.

also, does it really have to be an "intermission". cant it just be an intermission?

my comment was trying to be helpful. criticism is okay. i'd like to see it cater to a wider variety of people and styles. and the idea of using video game music not only makes it relevant to the site, but would also make people more interested. and well, make the contest more interesting in general. and the mood is already set, in your track. thats not really up for interpretation.

this isnt about improvisation. this is about stereotypical and formulaic rock soloing, without context. but really, imma stop there. it wasnt an attack on your ability to play music, or your knowledge of whatever.

----------

-brick road

Don't mess with the Tiger !

hashel

Don't mess with the Tiger !

----------

I gain power from such

surreal

Eric: tank,godlike

I gain power from such discussion, argue on my children.

Popcorn time for Surreal !

hashel

Popcorn time for Surreal !

----------

Re: I gain power from such

tiger child

sorry to be disappointing, but that was all i had. i just think there could be a good idea in here somewhere, but it needs refining and focus.

exeunt

----------

-brick road

Bhael

tiger child said

this isnt about improvisation. this is about stereotypical and formulaic rock soloing, without context.

Someone other than me with a negative opinion of rock? I must have misread.

Gio I think this thread's a good idea, but it needs branching out. As you say, improvisation is a vital part of a musician's arsenal. For that reason, I think you could make this a..

JAZZ FUSION THREAD!

That way people can really go nuts with their creativity without sticking to the same scale/s. A less biased backing track would allow for a greater selection of tones/effects, and be more accomodating towards different tonality. Musical freedom is the key to this thread, and jazz is where the party's at. Kapeesh?

tiger child

amen.

----------

-brick road

jazz! i like that more than

Jacob31593

jazz! i like that more than guitar riff of the month v2

bhael I know this is

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

bhael I know this is unrelated but have I ever told you that you look like what I expect literally everyone in the UK to look like? I don't know how else to explain this ahaha
also I really like your secunda arrangement

I think the idea of jaming on

hashel

I think the idea of jaming on a VG song is interesting. But maybe, you can chose a song (for exemple Battle with Gilgamesh from FF5) and make a little backing with Guitar Pro.

And i think most people here knows how to use guitar pro (or tuxguitar etc) so everyone can change the backing and make it sounds more funky, jazzy, moody, hardy... or whatever they want !

As the contest lasts a whole month we have enought time to work on backing tracks and then everyone could play a solo on their own style :D

(maybe i'm wrong)

----------

Re: bhael I know this is

Bhael

Haha, very interesting. After living here my whole life I still don't know what British people look like.

Requesting to the forum OPs

Giogiogio4

Requesting to the forum OPs to clean up this thread.

1. This is the SOLO of the month. I supplied the track, if you don't like it then don't do it.
Don't waste space here with nonsense post. I cant ( Blank ) make 20 tracks in 50 different genres. This month is THIS track. Stop requesting "Jazz" and "freedom" tracks then complain in the same forum that things are "too hard". I made a simple track for a simple reason. There are less "pros" on this website then anything else. This track reaches to everyone. if 3 different sections in 1 track isn't enough for you then make your own thread.
This is a SOLO track, Not a 20 min interlude drama to ff7. And since a good number of players play Electric guitar This track is for electric guitar. No1 said you cant cut and rearrange the track now did they?

2. 1 Not every Video game song is a bunch of strings or zelda music. There are a TON of games with heavy and fast riff guitar. Guilty Gear, Star ocean til the end of time , devil may cry, every skate boarding game ever.Even FF had some heavier tracks, FFX , and so forth. You don't like rock soloing? Then Don't do it.

But don't sit here wasting post space when there might be a few people who want to do it. This is a SOLO contest, as in you get a track and you see what you can do with it. Not everyone go make there own track doing anything they want. There would be no point. if you want that then GO DO THE SONG WRITING CONTEST.. Because that's what you Just explained. Or simply go write music in general.

I don't see people complaining on the riff of the week or the finger picking challenge. Go complain how those songs aren't your style and how the whole thing should revolve around the 1 style you like.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

----------

I don't see anyone

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I don't see anyone complaining here though, most of it is constructive feed back. You should be open minded to changes if you want this contest to actually be a "monthly" thing, you should let the rest of the site help shape it so more people will be inspired to contribute. Obviously you can't make a million backing tracks, so why not, as Hashel suggested, let other people make their own backing tracks?

Re: I don't see anyone

Giogiogio4

Lemoncobbler said

I don't see anyone complaining here though, most of it is constructive feed back. You should be open minded to changes if you want this contest to actually be a "monthly" thing, you should let the rest of the site help shape it so more people will be inspired to contribute. Obviously you can't make a million backing tracks, so why not, as Hashel suggested, let other people make their own backing tracks?

The Point of it being a "contest" for fun of course is that everyone has the Same thing to begin with. The same exact concept of the "riff" of the week.

if people can't be creative with some kind of restrictions then they need to study allot more. The track is only a drum and guitar. Over a million different solos and melodies can be written over it by adding strings, piano, organ,choir,harp,guitar, Whatever you can think of.

If people want to write there own stuff then they need to go to the THEME WRITING Topic, You know the one people hardly do anymore. This isn't the theme forum topic, It's the solo track forum topic. Writing entire songs is there, and Soloing with material however you want is here.

----------

Keep cool man, we are

hashel

Keep cool man, we are just submitting some ideas... But you know WRITE LIKE THIS won't help you to argue :D

You know i do really like soloing, and rock solos too ! I'm defenitly not a shredder but i really enjoy metal musics etc.

But as we are on GT.net that would be funny to start from a VG or anime music that we know to jam over it and play with the melody.

When i listen to this backing track, i don't want to make a solo over it, and it looks like i'm not the only one to think it. Not because it's bad or anything but because it's maybe a bit too much in a "particular style".

----------

Re: Keep cool man, we are

Giogiogio4

hashel said

Keep cool man, we are just submitting some ideas... But you know WRITE LIKE THIS won't help you to argue :D

You know i do really like soloing, and rock solos too ! I'm defenitly not a shredder but i really enjoy metal musics etc.

But as we are on GT.net that would be funny to start from a VG or anime music that we know to jam over it and play with the melody.

When i listen to this backing track, i don't want to make a solo over it, and it looks like i'm not the only one to think it. Not because it's bad or anything but because it's maybe a bit too much in a "particular style".

Not everyones a pro, if they just want to shred, then whos to stop them? Some amazing music comes from shred sessions. And not everyones a melody line writer, BOTH kinds All kinds of soloers are welcome.

There would be no point in playing Over a song everyone knows already. They have those all over youtube, They are called "covers". Not everyone likes every game. There are allot of players who want to play original new stuff, Not just shred some notes in-between someone's song that they know already.

You will never improve on guitar if you don't take the chance to play things you never heard yet.

----------

My english should be really

hashel

My english should be really shitty because you don't understand a word of what i'm saying.

Let's make a deal, the winner will chose the backing of the next session (as it works with the song writting contest) and not only you again and again...

----------

Re: bhael I know this is

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Bhael said

Haha, very interesting. After living here my whole life I still don't know what British people look like.

they all look like the Beatles, no exceptions

I KNEW that was a John Lennon

Bhael

I KNEW that was a John Lennon reference! Thankfully contact lenses remove the striking similarity. So happy :').

Re: My english should be really

Giogiogio4

hashel said

My english should be really shitty because you don't understand a word of what i'm saying.

Let's make a deal, the winner will chose the backing of the next session (as it works with the song writting contest) and not only you again and again...

Or we could let me manage my thread. I made this so people can have fun Soloing over original backing tracks to stimulate original creativity. Not just link other peoples stuff, You can easily do that with friends on your own time. So please stop cluttering the thread with this. Go argue on Guitar worlds or any other Solo contest's thread that takes the time to arrange drums and guitar to supply a backing track for their contest.

Everyone who wants to show off their skills, Apply what they learned from the "riff of the week" or just go nuts with VST's are welcome to participate. This is about Fun, something other then just practicing. because Scales and chords/modes don't mean much if you never use them in settings.

Make something Metal, Something fusiony or completely blow our mind Epic with a full orch and Singing. There really shouldn't be too much debate. I made the thread and track, Linked it and The goal is to play over it. Not debate about other genres or the next track I'm going to make. Without a common track there is no Point to this thread.

----------

Nice pooping dog picture !

hashel

Nice pooping dog picture !

----------

to show that my input was all

tiger child

to show that my input was all at the hopes of being constructive and trying to make this a fun all-inclusive event, im in. i believe you said 5 minutes of thought? so thats what i gave it.

whatevs

----------

-brick road

we should have a thread just

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

we should have a thread just for accordian solos, they're that fucking cool~

hahaha thats actually really

Jacob31593

hahaha thats actually really interesting tiger XD
you should do the tune contests as well!

haha tiger you are awesome.

karathrow

haha tiger you are my new favorite gametabber.

Re: to show that my input was all

Giogiogio4

tiger child said

to show that my input was all at the hopes of being constructive and trying to make this a fun all-inclusive event, im in. i believe you said 5 minutes of thought? so thats what i gave it.

whatevs

haha, reminds me allot of Equilibrium ( German folk metal band ) . Fine tune that and you could have something awesome.

----------

Re: haha tiger you are awesome.

tiger child

well, shucks.

karathrow-
haha tiger you are my new favorite gametabber.

----------

-brick road