You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

I need a gaming laptop

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

hi guys!
I'm going to be attending college in august and i'll be doing some 3-d rendering stuff and some video game design along with the 2d artwork, and my major requires that I have a laptop that can handle working with 3d programs like Maya and blender, as well as running halfway decent video games.
All this time, I thought I needed the newest, biggest, Macbook Pro (my acceptance letter said I needed one,), but surprise surprise, I emailed the person in charge of my major (because the requirement they stated is not actually sold anymore, thank you 17 inch macbook), and their response email said, "nah, its okay, we actually don't require you to get a mac, pc's are our friends here."
This means for the first time in my life, I will get to have a gaming computer! I have never been able to play anything older than games made in 2006/7, and I had to play oblivion on low settings (feels really bad man :( ) but the catch is, I have no idea what to look for in a gaming computer, I was wondering could help me out. The only two real requirements are that
1. It has to be a laptop
2. it has to be under 2000$
INFORM ME GAMETABS

my asus g73s was $1400, can

Jacob31593

my asus g73s was $1400, can run mass effect 3 and other recent shit just fine

Acer Aspire brand with i5/i7

Hakoria

Laon King

Acer Aspire brand with i5/i7 does a good job from what I've been told, runs most games on high gfx settings.

I'm going to be sending all

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'm going to be sending all these suggestions in a list (after some personal research of course!) to the lady in charge of my major and see what she thinks~ keep em coming

Six of these ten are

musenji

Six of these ten are significantly under 2k:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2020688,00.asp

try googling "gaming laptop"? I mean there ARE forums where this is ALL they talk about. :D

Overall, what I've heard is that people recommend the higher-end quad core AMD processors, with discrete graphics instead of integrated in the CPU. Everywhere I've looked, people keep saying that having discrete graphics is crucial.

PS, I'm not going to disparage i7s though, for sure. But I personally don't know.

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

(No subject)

karathrow

2000$ ? You can get an

Ennea

humhum..

2000$ ? You can get an Alienware laptop for that :O

http://www.xoticpc.com/force-

Re: http://www.xoticpc.com/force-

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

CpxAzn said

http://www.xoticpc.com/force-16f3-msi-16f3-p-4346.html?wconfigure=yes

http://www.xoticpc.com/force-16f2012-msi-16f2-p-3376.html?wconfigure=yes

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9150-clevo-p150em-p-4341.html?wconfigure=yes

Yes, I know, you have never heard of them, and you have been missing out.

Considering i've never heard of alienware, asus, and half the shit on bhaels link, you shouldn't be surprised I have never heard of them.
I have been living under a modern game free rock

I personally own a dell xps

fatalfable

I personally own a dell xps 17 inch w/ 3d. Runs many games very well. I think it ran me 1700 but i wish i never got the 3d as i never use it. Here are my specs.

Intel core i7 2630QM @2.00 ghz
8gb ram (This you will definitely need for your art programs)
64 bit OS
3gb 555m nvidia graphics card

remember you can get better stuff now as I bought this around this time a year ago

----------

Visual snow makes you want to go boom.
""jajajaja?" are you trying to make yourself sound like a fatass?"

I had an Asus, forgot the

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

I had an Asus, forgot the model but it had the lighting Gfx on the back.

I got it "refurb" ( meaning any issues I would of had with it new were fixed ) And it cost me 700 bucks on Tigerdirect.com. Ran everything on max'ed out settings and even "crysis" on very high. Loved the thing, it even had a 2nd slot to hold another hard drive and ran 64 bit windows 7 ( so you could upgrade the ram whenever you could afford 4 or 8gb laptop sticks XD.

"also 8gb ram (This you will definitely need for your art programs)."

Since when? if you have a decent graphic card, Unless your running Video editing stuff like After effects is hardly needed. I used my 4Gbs just fine and I had the biggest project files in the entire degree program. photoshop, and AI and everything else in that category run just fine on normal systems. i even run them on my NETBOOK, that lacks a graphic card and only has 2 gbs of ram. Hell even my 3d sculpting software works fine.

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

16GB of RAM wouldn't hurt,

auriplane

16GB of RAM wouldn't hurt, and RAM is really cheap.

----------

Auriplane!!

I just purchased a cheap-end

musenji

I just purchased a cheap-end ASUS and am very happy with it. One plus is that they make all their own parts.

Some of the ones in the link I posted ARE alienware. :-)

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

musenji

Lemoncobbler said

Considering i've never heard of alienware, asus, and half the shit on bhaels link,

Do you mean my link? I don't see a post by bhael.

----------

Ennea

humhum..

musenji said

Damn ninjas!

64bit OS + only 4gb ram = you

Jacob31593

64bit OS + only 4gb ram = you crazy gio

Re: 64bit OS + only 4gb ram = you

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

Jacob31593 said

64bit OS + only 4gb ram = you crazy gio

you realize most and Allot "graphic design" studios still old computers right? A few colors, pictures and logos don't really take up much ram. It's video editors and intense 3d studios who are the hogs. And that primarily comes into play when they are rendering and previewing their work.

There's no real need to update every time adobe makes a new CS version, Hell I know an awesome designer who still uses the old photoshops before CS. And Most games run fine with 4 GBs of ram, Consoles have like 500mb, 200mb if your a ps3 user. It's the graphic card that takes the most of the work. Unless u want to bump of the Res to a retarded amount thats waay past your laptop screen and throw a billion shadows on everything then yes you will need 40 GBs of ram to play a game that runs fine at settings better then consoles with 4gbs.

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

yeah a lot of places still

Jacob31593

yeah a lot of places still use old equipment, must be because the old stuff is better

you're obviously joking around with that 40gb of ram comment
the most ram any unmodified computer games are programmed to use at this point is 4gb last i heard (though they absolutely can use more than that even without altering the game files)
my recommendation of over 4gb of ram has nothing to do with gaming

32 bit operating systems can only utilize up to 3.5gb~ of ram
64 bit programs take up more space in memory
you might not NEED more than 4gb of ram, but boy it sure would be a good thing to have just in case

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

musenji said

Lemoncobbler said

Considering i've never heard of alienware, asus, and half the shit on bhaels link,

I-I'm going crazy... HELP ME

Forgot to mention, the

CpxAzn

Lurker

Forgot to mention, the force/msi laptops I linked have 2 hard drive bays, so you can put a solid state drive in there an transcend into the next dimension, which I highly recommend!

Re: I had an Asus, forgot the

fatalfable

to giogio: don't really know much about the art programs but when using some higher end music producing programs and using high quality vst's unless you have enough power & memory to run them the quality drops significantly. Also some programs use just alot of ram at once and if you wanted to use several programs at the same time the extra ram would be useful. I don't know that much about computers but I am more than happy with mine :D

----------

I don't think i'm quite ready

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I don't think i'm quite ready to enter the next dimension, to be completely honest.
My friend got this laptop about two months ago, I got to see it for the first time yesterday
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/#specifications
He was running crisis 2 on ultra settings, looked absolutely amazing, technology man.
my favorite part of him showing it off was when he was playing it without it being unplugged, then he got the pop-up that said "You have two minutes of battery time left, time to plug in" And then it died within ten seconds. Good thing I don't ever use laptops away from an outlet.
I'd be very interested in buying a laptop similar to this one, except really though, you guys are confusing me, how much ram should I get? I'll be using this for gaming, 3d modeling, and really large photoshop files. (my friends was 12gb of ram.)

Actually, you can generally

auriplane

Actually, you can generally get the same quality audio with less RAM. But what happens is, it gets really slow, and you have to freeze lots of tracks and do offline renderings (esp. with how big sample libraries have gotten), which can really detract from your workflow.

I'd definitely get 16GB in a new computer for audio work.

----------

Auriplane!!

Lemon, here's how I see your

auriplane

Lemon, here's how I see your choices:

1. You can get a computer with less RAM. You save money, and if you ever find out you need more, you upgrade. However, you MUST make sure the laptop you choose is upgradeable if you want the option.
  2. You can get a lot of RAM now. It's easier than upgrading, costs more up front, but your laptop is more "future proof".

Remember, you're not buying a laptop to run software from over the last 4 years. You're buying a laptop to run software in the next four years, or however long you own it.

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: I don't think i'm quite ready

CpxAzn

Lurker

Lemoncobbler said

I don't think i'm quite ready to enter the next dimension, to be completely honest.
My friend got this laptop about two months ago, I got to see it for the first time yesterday
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/#specifications
He was running crisis 2 on ultra settings, looked absolutely amazing, technology man.
my favorite part of him showing it off was when he was playing it without it being unplugged, then he got the pop-up that said "You have two minutes of battery time left, time to plug in" And then it died within ten seconds. Good thing I don't ever use laptops away from an outlet.
I'd be very interested in buying a laptop similar to this one, except really though, you guys are confusing me, how much ram should I get? I'll be using this for gaming, 3d modeling, and really large photoshop files. (my friends was 12gb of ram.)

Those laptops I posted are faster than that laptop =)

Minus the 3D though. I have a 3D monitor and I never use the functionality just because it's not practical and gives you headaches. It is cool for the first few days though.

EDIT: About that battery life, I have a slightly older revision of that force/msi laptop, and when I am not gaming, the battery lasts 3-4 hours, which is good for a gaming laptop.

EDIT2: Forgot to mention, I had a 15" version of that ASUS laptop (G53SW), and the force laptop's audio blew the ASUS away because it has a built in subwoofer. Also, the webcam is 720p so it's better for recording :D

I have no interest in a 3d

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I have no interest in a 3d monitor hahaha, 3d movies already bother the shit out of me and give me a headache. And okay auri, money isn't really an issue right now, most of the laptop will be payed for with grad money, but my dad can be reluctant to spend cash on something he thinks I won't totally utilize.

Its times like this I really wish I knew more about computers hahaa.

CpxAzn said

Lemoncobbler said

EDIT2: Also, the webcam is 720p so it's better for recording :D

now that sounds nice hahaha my current webcam is absolute shit.

Re: Lemon, here's how I see your

musenji

...I've heard (perhaps from Auri, maybe elsewhere though, I forget for sure) that computer-turnover-rate is estimated to be much slower than it used to be--more like 5 years, instead of the old (late 90's through mid 00's) standard of 18 months. However, that may only apply to "standard use" as opposed to the kind of high-end gaming you're looking at, as graphics seem to just keep getting better.

Uh, this is kinda random. Oh well. I figure maybe it'll make you a little bit less nervous about the purchase?

Its times like this I really wish I knew more about computers hahaa.

PS, much less random: do more research then! I just recently purchased a laptop, and am incredibly happy with my purchase, partially because I spent so much time learning about what was out there. The best advice I can give you is to find a place where this is the main subject of discussion--Tom's Hardware Forum was a great resource for me. I currently forget the others but if you simply google "gaming laptop" and read everything you can find, you'll learn a ton. The more you learn, the more you'll know about what you're really looking for, based on what's out there.

----------

Re: Actually, you can generally

fatalfable

auriplane said

Actually, you can generally get the same quality audio with less RAM. But what happens is, it gets really slow, and you have to freeze lots of tracks and do offline renderings (esp. with how big sample libraries have gotten), which can really detract from your workflow.

Quality was the wrong word. What you stated was what I was referring to.

----------

Re: Actually, you can generally

fatalfable

auriplane said

Quality was the wrong word. What you stated was what I was referring to.

All I can say is that you should be spending money on a computer that will be able to handle today's and the future's demands.

----------

I ended up getting the asus

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I ended up getting the asus gx75vw.
I just wanted to say thanks for all the input everyone, every little bit of information helps.
I was able to stream fallout 3 on ultra high settings last night, and boy did it feel good~