You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Learning by ear

kng

I'm pretty new to guitar and I want to learn song by ear, where and how should I start?

i guess you should start with

hashel

i guess you should start with slow simple melodies ?

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

start with the band

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

start with the band rammstein. thats what everyone told me to do... only now, the only thing i can by ear is rammstein.

hash got it though, slower simpler melodies would doubtless be the best way to do it

----------

"i seem to be find a lot that apparently dont contain the .exe actually" -Anonymous

"Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to look more like?" -Pherioxus

punk rock. learn blink182

SalemJenet

punk rock.
learn blink182 songs or some other easy bands.

^^ mm hmm. those old three

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

^^

mm hmm. those old three chord bands man, thats where its at. nirvana songs are super easy to play. try their unplugged stuff, much easier to pick out, not as muddy i guess, plus nirvana live is amazing anyhow. alice in chains ahve some easy stuff too, as well as presidents of the USA. rammstein, godsmack, anything from the grunge scene or the punk rock scene like blink or sum 41. thast where the easiest stuff to do by ear is found imo.

----------

"i seem to be find a lot that apparently dont contain the .exe actually" -Anonymous

"Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to look more like?" -Pherioxus

I'd start with a song you

auriplane

I'd start with a song you know well, one with a strong melody, one you can sing (at least in your head, if not actually with vocal cords).

Ever sing along with the radio? Just do that, except with a guitar. Or heck, do both at once.

Don't worry about getting it perfect at first. The goal's to improve, not to nail it 100%. But you're the judge of your own abilities, so if you decide 100% is the next step, then you know better than me :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

Playing by ear huh. Play

StrangeJam

Da Manliness

Playing by ear huh.
Play lots, say no to tabs upon the first attempt, try to figure out what you hear my messing with chords and you'll be well on your way.

I'm not really into rock/punk

kng

I'm not really into rock/punk so yeah.. ^^ Is it a good idea to combine watching and listening? Because I've been thinking about learning this one .

Re: I'm not really into rock/punk

auriplane

You have to type something into the "link text" field or your link won't show up.

Your link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAeBiZGcBd4

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: I'm not really into rock/punk

Ranulf

I will not join your gametabs.

Imo it is, but I'm no expert, I started out by watching people do covers and I tabbed their covers. Then, I went on to pick notes out with just my ears and I can do it pretty well now, if the song isn't too fast.

learn your minor scale and

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

learn your minor scale and major scale pattern and how they relate. Then sit in front of a tv and try to locate each song you hears scale and the rest is easy.

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

Maha!

TomorrowsSeeker

I mastered mine usinv trial and error too! I am at least 85% Accurate now!

----------

Doesn't Matter what's tomorrow, but let it matter for itself.

Start,Train,Re-hearse,Perform.