You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Secret of Mana - Dancing Animals

iamHoustonian

You don’t need to see my identification…

MANTANGO!!
I could really use some help with the timing on this one.
I would like to know how many measures to wait instead of just putting the time to play Guitar III's part.
I'm not too knowledgeable about that yet hehe =^.^= Thanks and enjoy.
Dancing Animals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTbktr6O0RI

Looks good :thumbup: lol,

BacardiBreezer

My life is a chip in your pile. Ante up!

Looks good :thumbup: lol, such a weird song

Cool Beans

iamHoustonian

I love this fucking song!!!
It makes me want to dance around the forest with an Indian headress on hahaha

Anyone know the time signature for this song?

iamHoustonian

I was trying to understand time signatures today by researching online. I think I got the jest of it but it's a little confusing hehe.
I'm going out on a limb here but I think this song is 3/4. I dunno :-)
It's like time signatures and tempo are getting mixed up in my thoughts or something.
Maybe I should just stick to my conventional method of creating music.
Which is "Damn, that sounded sweet." *Plays until it's seared into my brain
I'm not looking for a lecture or anything, just wondering if anyone knows the time signature for this song.

You can count it in 3/4.

auriplane

You can count it in 3/4. There's more than one valid way to count the song, though. I'd count it as alternating 7/8 and 5/8, since the division feels pretty strong to me. (This can be written as a time signature change every measure, or as 7+5/8.)

BTW, when I count that, it's like this in my head:

So I feel each quarter note as a beat, but then the last beat of each measure gets cut in half. It definitely feels right to me that way.

----------

Auriplane!!

Thanks for the insight

iamHoustonian

Maybe not the easiest song to test my new found knowledge on. hehe
Thanks a bootyload for that insight though. If I keep it up I'll get it eventually.
A friend of mine, who is an amazing musician that I was collaborating with on a Secret of Mana/Chrono Trigger cover band, said that I play odd time signatures really well. I was like "Okay? Cool." but I'd like to know exactly what he is talking about haha. Thanks again

Odd time signatures are time

auriplane

Odd time signatures are time signatures where the top number is odd. 3/4, 5/4, 7/8, 9/8, etc.

----------

Auriplane!!

Okay. That's what I thought it meant.

iamHoustonian

Okay. That's what I thought it meant.
I just need to choose a low tempo like 60 bpm and experiment.
My problem is that I thought whole notes, half notes, quarter notes etc. were set in stone how long they should be played. No matter what tempo or time signature is in a song. Actually, for instance, in a 4/4 time song the quarter notes duration would change if the tempo went from 60 bpm to 100 bpm right?
I feel like my musical experience is that of someone diving in a spring and swimming fine back to shore, then now I'm dipping my toes in the cold water and I've got to learn to swim correctly so I can thrive in my element. haha
Doesn't make much sense but it does to me hehe =^.^=

Yeah, most of the time, the

auriplane

Yeah, most of the time, the beat is a quarter note. The beat is what you feel--you tap your foot to the beat, or bob your head to the beat. If the tempo is 60 bpm, and the beat is a quarter note, then you have 60 quarter notes per minute. That means each quarter note lasts one second. Change it to 100 bpm, and each quarter note lasts 3/5ths of a second.

----------

Auriplane!!

Indeed

iamHoustonian

Indeed. I pretty much knew what the beat was but I was thinking that half, quarter, eighth notes etc. were held for a certain amount of time regardless. Like what you said about changing the tempo from 60 bpm to 100 bpm makes each quarter note 3/5ths of a sec, before I would think that would be like a 16th note or some weird shit.
The fog is clearing.