You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

condenser mic problem...

demigorgon

ok i have a problem...I bought a AKG perception 420 condenser and so far...everything sounds nice, as in when i hear it in my headphones, man it sounds nice and fancy! problem is that when i actually go to record it ( i've tried various different programs including riffworks, reason, my webcam with my mic selected, and even audacity) it always sounds very muddy or distant...with my webcam it only sounds out for about 5 seconds then the sound just cuts out permanently.

what could possibly be the problem here? i've been working at this all day with almost no progress. and with all this money i spent i want some dad gum results.

i'm willing to try anything, any help will be great!

you're gonna need an actual

StrangeJam

Da Manliness

you're gonna need an actual inferface:

http://line6.com/podstudioux2/

get an interface like he said

jit

get an interface like he said and use an xlr cable

It needs phantom power. Are

auriplane

It needs phantom power. Are you supplying it (e.g. with a mixer)?

----------

Auriplane!!

The UX2 has phantom power,

StrangeJam

Da Manliness

The UX2 has phantom power, even though they don't list the feature

sorry i forgot to mention

demigorgon

sorry i forgot to mention that im running it through the ux2 all ready...and yeah the phantom power is turned on otherwise i wouldnt be able to get any sound at all. but it sounds nice before the recording then flops while recording.

----------

i HATE oglops!

im trying my mic with my

demigorgon

im trying my mic with my webcam and it sounds all crackly :( got it sounding a little better though, still sounds a little distant

----------

i HATE oglops!

and the still unmoving air in

demigorgon

and the still unmoving air in my room is almost louder than my guitar.

----------

i HATE oglops!

yup, no matter how much i

demigorgon

yup, no matter how much i turn the volume up, or down, through pod farm 2, it makes almost no difference what so ever...it just sounds distant and queit, almost like im outside of my room listening in...in the earphones it sounds full and how it should.

me so confused :(

----------

i HATE oglops!

I might have an idea what

jit

I might have an idea what might be wrong. What prog are u usin to record? what does ur recording chain comprised of? And what kind of computer do u have?

im using pod farm 2, running

demigorgon

im using pod farm 2, running through my mic an akg 420 - the ux2 - then finally the usb goes into my computer.

computer is a compaq presario with windows 7, 2 gigs of ram and all that.

----------

i HATE oglops!

Ok, here's what I think. You

jit

Ok, here's what I think. You setup should be fine, I just don’t think you have it set up properly on your computer. What I think might be happening is that the sound you hear when you are recording is the built-in mic of your laptop, which I am sure Compaq’s have. You probably have your guitar near your mic and away from your computer, and thus the muddy distant guitar sounds.

I have no experience with Pod Farm but I am sure it can be used as a VST. In this case, you should use a reliable recording program with a digital mixer as your DAW. Open up Reason and first find where the you can change the audio driver. Make sure you change it to your UX interface. Now go to your digital mixer. Select a channel that isn’t master and there should be an option for a Line-In or something of that sort. Make your line-in/input the guitar (it would probably be labeled on your UX). There should be open slots for plugins. Put in the Pod Farm and adjust the settings within. Record and you should be fine. Let me know if that works.

Oh and a more simple

jit

Oh and a more simple altetnative if u dont care for the sounds in podfarm is to go to audacity, and go to preferences which i believe is under the edit tab, and change ur input to your audio interface, viola

Re: Ok, here's what I think. You

demigorgon

well its actually a desktop, but ill try it...the only mic that is there to record is either my condenser or my webcams built in mic but i unplug it when using any other recording program... -unplug mywebcam that is when using audacity or w/e

ill let you know man, i appreciate the info :)

----------

i HATE oglops!

Wait... are u usin an xlr

jit

Wait... are u usin an xlr cable or a quarter inch?

well an xlr cable for the mic

demigorgon

well an xlr cable for the mic of course

----------

i HATE oglops!

Ok its xlr on the mic side of

jit

Ok its xlr on the mic side of the cable but is it xlr when its hooked up to the ux

yeah, xlr is connecting the

demigorgon

yeah, xlr is connecting the mic to the ux2

----------

i HATE oglops!

im actually getting it to

demigorgon

im actually getting it to sound much better, just changed setting all around.

----------

i HATE oglops!

hopefully you get it to sound

jit

hopefully you get it to sound to how much you paid for it! i figured there was nothing wrong with the mic since you heard it awesome on your headphones so it had to be something hindering the signal path in the recording side. must be a sigh of relief

try different amp sims too

StrangeJam

Da Manliness

try different amp sims too

i got it sounding better,

demigorgon

i got it sounding better, just not the quality i was thinking. it still doesnt sound the way i hear it but it does sound better. i really wanna get some lonlonjp quality going i just dont know how he does it.

----------

i HATE oglops!