You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

High feedback

Lybaerd

Black Lion of Rebirth

Has anyone had an issue with switching their input cables.
I just got a Dean Split Tail in which the input is on the front of the guitar as opposed to my Ibanez on the bottom so I figured I'd buy a new cable with an angled connector. Well it's driving me insane, on one hand the new cable displays my distortion better than my old cable, but on the other hand it has ridiculously high feedback to the point that you have to constantly play or hold your hand over all the strings to mute it where as with my old cable giving all the strings a quick passover would kill the sound and I didn't have to hold my hand over them to keep them quiet.

So any tips? I've experimented with lowering my treble pickup which has somewhat alleviated the problem, but with that I also loss much of my treble which is unacceptable but if I could I'd like to fix this problem without getting rid of the new cable.

Try playing away from the amp

CpxAzn

Lurker

Try playing away from the amp and point your pickups away from the speaker. If that doesn't work, mess with your gain on your amp and your volume knob on your guitar.

Setting the amp back a couple

Lybaerd

Black Lion of Rebirth

Setting the amp back a couple feet helped a tad, but what did the most improvement I found as I noticed when my watch was above my pickups I started hearing the tick come through the amp, which first brought me to inspect my cords which is when I figured out the 3.5mm jack I had plugged in below my guitar input was causing the feedback when the other of it wasn't plugged into my mp3 player or laptop. Now I'm just toggling my settings a tad, gladly the greatest hit of the feedback is gone so I can happily use my new cable, but I can't help but wonder does anyone know what type of material makes the best cable jacks, I know there are a few different metals used to make the jacks on guitar cables, anyone have a preference?

By the way I know the tick coming through the amp was just the sound wave from the watch entering the pickups, I just didn't realize it was my watch at first so I suspected a cable wasn't fully plugged in. It is pretty neat though, anyone ever hold a PSP with a game on, up to their pickups? Pretty amazing how it works, though I don't recommend doing it repeatedly due to the magnetic current of the pick ups. Not good for electronics.