You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

What should I get next?

saihenjin

I'm actually very new to playing the guitar, I have an electric. It's a cheapo that came in a starter pack, came with amp, cords, tuner, etc. I'm gonna be coming across some money in july and was thinking about putting 120 down on a new amp, but I want something small, I live in an apartment building and the walls are thin, so I'd rather not get kicked out for playing out of a large speaker. The one I've got now is one of those tiny practice amps that you can power with a 9 volt battery, and that's a good volume for me right now.

I want to have a good selection of options on how to make the guitar sound, and I can spend as much as 250 or so on it if I really needed to. I don't know what other options or accessories are essential for guitar, though. I've thought about getting a Line 6 Pod, but I'm not sure.

In short, what piece of hardware should I buy or upgrade first?

Personally, I'd say go for

auriplane

Personally, I'd say go for the Line 6!

EDIT: To explain why, you'll get a lot more quality/versatility for the money. Buy an amp when you're going to play out somewhere, or when you've got a place to rehearse, IMO. You have to spend a bit of money to get a decent amp, and an amp is a huge part of your sound on an electric guitar.

Plus, if you're concerned about volume, you can use headphones to practice. Just don't break your ears by practicing with headphones set too loud :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

If you're getting a line 6,

CpxAzn

Lurker

If you're getting a line 6, I'd suggest you to get one of these
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-GuitarPort-XT-Guitar-M...
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-POD-Studio-GX-with-P...

They are cheap and more than enough. I use to have a Line 6 POD XT Live but I sold it because I hardly used any of the features. These also make recording easy. You can hook up your computer speakers to them if you have the cable. If not, then you can play through headphones.

What are the major

saihenjin

What are the major differences between the Studio GX and the XT?

If "XT" refers to the

CpxAzn

Lurker

If "XT" refers to the GuitarPort XT, there really isn't much difference. Both of them should be able to use POD Farm, which is a program that you use on the computer to change your amp/effects settings since there's no knobs for that on the actual hardware. The GuitarPort doesn't say that it comes with POD Farm, but for some reason, mine works with POD Farm, but maybe that's because I got POD Farm during the free period. Either way, it shouldn't be much different than the other program GearBox. I think that the Studio may come with slightly more amps and effects though, according to the website, but I never noticed anything big missing.

BTW, for both of these, you WILL need a computer for them to work. Anytime you want to use them, you have to hook it up to the computer.