You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Recommend me some acoustic guitar strings

crimsondarkn

I've been looking for some as my guitar sounds too bright and the tension is painful to my hands. I heard Elixer's are good and I enjoy the mellow sound (especially for chords). Any other suggestions? Also, when stringing the acoustic, how do people wrap the end of a string to the tuning area so well? I've done it before and my string didn't wrap around it as much..

Silk and steel are the

auriplane

Silk and steel are the mellowest for steel-string guitar! And they are low tension :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

for nylon savarez 520R on

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

for nylon savarez 520R on your hybrid classical/steel strings....my uncle swares by those Elixer's.

----------

Watch me: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vic9mm

You said "acoustic" so I

auriplane

You said "acoustic" so I assumed steel string, but which sort of guitar are you talking about? Nylon or steel?

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: You said "acoustic" so I

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

auriplane said

You said "acoustic" so I assumed steel string, but which sort of guitar are you talking about? Nylon or steel?

Both auri we were talkin in IRC at the time about his Classical strings hes had on his guitar for a year.

----------

Watch me: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vic9mm

Yeah what Vic said... Silk

crimsondarkn

Yeah what Vic said... Silk and Steel.. Hmm got any brands in particular ? Just a low tension ?

Edit: Looking for this beautiful sound in particular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqwIKLMlU-s

----------

PSN: crimsondarkn

Have you asked them what

auriplane

Have you asked them what strings they use

----------

Auriplane!!

I'm waiting for a reply

crimsondarkn

I'm waiting for a reply now... but do you have any guesses?

----------

Re: Recommend me some acoustic guitar strings

connie0325

It all depends on what you think feels best, really. Personally, I like using acoustic folk guitar strings

I'd suggest going into a guitar store near you and just ask them to try some different sizes of strings. No doubt they'll have different guitars with different gauges on them, so try to test a guitar that you are familiar with. Don't be afraid to ask for help on the subject, they'll be happy to help in any way they can for new guitar learners!
Check this link for a list of guitar gauges: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_strings
Also, try not to play the generic songs if you do go into a guitar store, for example, Sweet Child O' Mine, Stairway to Heaven etc, the 'techies' in there might get a bit peeved off!

Re: I'm waiting for a reply

auriplane

Time to respond to an old thread?

crimsondarkn said

I'm waiting for a reply now... but do you have any guesses?

I would have said if I thought I could tell by ear what it was :-( My ear for tone is not that good. Did you ever find out?

The reason I said silk and steel is because they're mellower and low tension. But strings all sound pretty different, and my experience is limited really. Didja find some strings you like? :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

If it's classical, I'd

this-is-an-annoyingly-long-username

The Master Of Disaster

If it's classical, I'd recommend GHS nylons. If it's a steel string acoustic, Elixir is probably the way to go. =)

Nope, I never found out. I am

crimsondarkn

Nope, I never found out. I am guessing Elixer.

----------

Lower tension ones are better

yomanation

Lower tension ones are better IMO. My Ibanez acoustic came with very high tension ones and it's really difficult to play anything on it in comparison to my other guitars.

edit: Just noticed you were talking about nylons, I personally use D'Addario on my classic guitar, they're perfect for me.

After I triedmy first set of

Fallx2xRise

After I triedmy first set of Elixirs I never touched anything else on my acoustic. They're a bit expensive but one of the best in my honest opinion. They've got a unique sound to 'em that's pretty much unrivaled.

Elixir Strings have a great

Shinbuya

Elixir Strings have a great sound quality and the tone will last longer, but I personally prefer the cheaper D'Addario Strings ... They sound kinda softer and warmer on my guitar ...
However I need to change them more often than the Elixir ones...
I once had a customer who wanted to buy only !1! Elixir string (e) ...because he wanted to keep his 2 Year old Elixir ones ... And they still sounded damn good ...xD

----------

Layin' in my bed, watching the unbelievable beautiful sky...
I wonder why I never thought about where the fuck my ceiling went ~♥