You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest #73: Miracle and despair..

david_cookie

Our heroes battled fiercely, using their remaining strength to fight off ground units. But nothing could prevent the island from being bombarded by these military airships. And soon, as our group was being surrounded, the city started to crumble..

The enemy troops then began their retreat to let the deadly flying machines finish off the work. It was none other than an extermination. And at this rate, the island would finish his course right in the middle of the ocean!

Among the ruins, our heroes and the other survivors were hiding, waiting for the storm to move away. All hope seemed to be lost, when suddenly.. a giant shield of wind surrounded the city, pushing back all enemy fires! The island then landed gently and safely onto the sea. The airships, seeing their shots being repelled, had no choice but to leave.. for now. It was a miracle.

But now was not the time to celebrate what was surely a divine favor. All the people gathered in the center of the town, mourning their dead or relieved to see those that survived. It would take a while to rebuild the city, but everybody realised that the island would never float in the air again..

Our heroes were full of regret but convinced themselves they couldn't have done any better. They eventually all had this same thought in mind: that it was the time to end this reign of terror.

---

So here it is! As you can see I'm not really into happy endings, so don't let me write anymore if you want the story to end well :p

As for the contest, you can do a theme for one situation or that follows the entire story as usual. Something desperate and epic at the beginning, then sad, and a little bit of determination at the end. Like the trailer of KH: Birth by Sleep actually --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EuMuNUu6GM, just less epic at the end. Oh, I forgot the miracle part! ^^

It's just my vision of course, you can make anything you want, in any style possible! I'm really curious to what you will end up with :)

Duration: 1 minute +
Deadline: March 27th (included)
Good luck!

Fingers crossed that

BigHeadClan

Fingers crossed that work/changing houses don't get in the way.... also now I really wanna replay BBS. lol

Aha ^^ What a great game it

david_cookie

Aha ^^ What a great game it was indeed, and it is one of my favorite trailer as well! :o
I hope your move will go smoothly!

Hmm Dream drop distance

BigHeadClan

Hmm Dream drop distance probably has my favorite opening but that's mostly due to the full orchestral rendition of Passion.
Thanks hopefully won't be to bad and a few people have offered to loan out their trucks for beer. XD

I'll probably have something

MechaKrauser

I don't think it's a bad scenario. Kinda reminds me of the book ending for the Lord of the Rings whenever [Spoiler][Spoils]the[Spoiler]/ lol. That trailer is pretty cool too, though I haven't played that or any of the Kingdom Hearts games. It did make me think of something cool on guitar so I'll probably have something this time around.

Ah you mean the famous

david_cookie

Ah you mean the famous [Spoiler][Spoiling]into the[Spoiler]? Yeah, what a great scene :p
I would be really glad if you participate! ^^

I'm somewhat far into my

Avaruussaha

I'm somewhat far into my production.

How's everyone else doing?

Distracted and found a whole

BigHeadClan

Distracted and found a whole in my car's exhaust XD, going to try and put then pen to paper this week though.

Aw man, you just had to ask

MechaKrauser

Aw man, you just had to ask haha. Mine is coming along. Still not completely satisfied with it, though. I'm trying to iron out the repetitiveness and make it more interesting.

Intentionally guilt tripping

Avaruussaha

Intentionally guilt tripping people here!

I've got the opposite trend, a bit too progressive (and the changes don't make much sense either), so I've still work to do with mine.

Ally righty

MechaKrauser

Ally righty I finished mine. Thought I'd better post it while I'm reasonably satisfied and before I butcher it into something I would be embarrassed to share lol.

Here it is: https://soundcloud.com/user-326023606/from-the-ashes-of-despair-heroes-r...
I recorded Guitar Pro midi again cuz I couldn't really get it to sound how I wanted in Reaper...

Your turn, Avaruussaha!
I'm looking forward to yours :D

Btw if I win, the next contest is going to be "Anime Swimsuit Episode". I dare anyone to try and stop me! Gwahahahaha!

Wow, that's a good one

david_cookie

Wow, that's a good one MechaKrauser! We can really feel despair and hope in this (I'm started to talk like Danganronpa aha). I listened to your track while reading the text (that I've already forgotten :°) and it matched quite well.

Too bad Guitar Pro blocks the full potential though because you have great composition skills! (but I already told you that I think ^^). Nevertheless it gives some good nostalgia tones :)

And maybe I should extend the deadline to march 27th? Unless everyone finish this week-end.

Re: Ally righty

auriplane

MechaKrauser said

Btw if I win, the next contest is going to be "Anime Swimsuit Episode". I dare anyone to try and stop me! Gwahahahaha!

An entire tune contest devoted to Free!

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: Wow, that's a good one

BigHeadClan

GP does take a good amount of work to get it sounding good, I always recommend people to export their midi's to Reaper and run them with some Orchestral VST's really up's the quality.

I won't say no to a 27th deadline, I have stuff messing with me everyday this week so it at least gives me a possible chance to try writing something.

Edit:
Also a theme based around anime would be amazing and hilarious, I don't think it would catch on though. lol

So 27th March it is!

david_cookie

So March 27th it is!

Re;

MechaKrauser

@David_cookie - Haha thanks, that's what I was going for. I played through Danganronpa on my PSP. Good game.

@auri - Actually I wouldn't really be opposed to that lol

@Clan - In Reaper I've got Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra via sforzando plugin and some of the VSTs from DSKmusic, but none of the SSO violins (staccato, sustained, solo) really fit the violin leads I made (they sustain too long or not enough and the close note transitions sound weird). Haven't tried the DSK version yet. Do you know of any other VSTs I could check out?

I use mainly Sonatina

BigHeadClan

I use mainly Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra & DSK VST myself they seems to be a good deal better than most out there. Although I'm toying with the idea of buying a high quality version I'll let you know if I do.

I also find the MIDI doesn't always import correctly especially where tied notes are used, sometimes even the time signatures or bpm so keep an eye on that. Also some light reverb, delay effects and playing with the EQ can really improve how they sound. :)

Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra

david_cookie

Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra is just insanely marvellous for a free VST. I think it's you that makes me discover it and I thank you 1000 times for that!

And yeah, the 3 audio effects I use the most are reverb, space delay and auto filter, and also some toying with audio panning and pitch bend. But I'm still awful at mastering aha

Oh good call with pitch

BigHeadClan

Oh good call with pitch bending, I should try applying that to a few songs that have flutes and Violins.

I use Garritan Personal

auriplane

I use Garritan Personal Orchestra.

----------

Auriplane!!

Oh that looks promising if

BigHeadClan

Oh that looks promising if you have any recordings or renders of it in action you should send a link, that' pretty affordable for music software I might grab it.

There is also Orchestral

david_cookie

There is also Orchestral Suite that sounds very very good :o

Oh that looks interesting as

BigHeadClan

Oh that looks interesting as well, Garritan might sound a bit better to my ears but I'm going to have to research and do an a,b,c comparison for a bunch.... I think we got kind of derailed from the topic at hand. lol

Will try and work something out tomorrow and Sunday.

The Garritan doesn't seem

Avaruussaha

The Garritan doesn't seem like a bad deal at all for $150

Re: Oh that looks promising if

auriplane

BigHeadClan said

Oh that looks promising if you have any recordings or renders of it in action you should send a link, that' pretty affordable for music software I might grab it.

Well, I'm not the best musician, but I used it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spitXEUfmG0

----------

Auriplane!!

Just call me MidiKrauser...

MechaKrauser

That track sounds really good, auri :)

I've been browsing around the free orchestra and violin VSTs and haven't found any that sound as good as Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra. I tried messing around with the reverb and delay some but I still couldn't get the notes to sound like I was wanting. All the settings for the effects are confusing as heck lol. Plus I can't play back multiple VST-configured tracks in Reaper without doing a full WAV file render, which gets to be quite a hassle.

Oh I think they all sound

BigHeadClan

Oh I think they all sound pretty awesome Auriplane thanks for the demo, cool to know you composed so pieces for a videogame.

@Mecha - It would be less confusing if you could make your changes on the fly instead of having to render every time. Also not sure if I showed you this trick or not to reduce lag in Reaper. Apply those settings to each of your tracks should help a lot.

Edit: Oh and when working with delay make your own custom delay effect, the generic ones aren't really suited for most things I find.

Reaper Lag reduction.

Submitting Something

Lloyde_Sorrow

@Auri I've got the soundtrack to Starwish on my computer. :) You did a good job!

Here's my submission. I'm not too satisfied with the mix of the "Miracle" section, but it'll have to do for now.

here is mine

sharprainmusic

here is mine https://soundcloud.com/sharp-rain-music/despair-and-miracles-gametabs-ch... :D

Yay, 2 new entries! So for

david_cookie

Yay, 2 new entries! So for now we have 3 challengers: MechaKrauser, Lloyde_Sorrow and sharprainmusic. I'll be off until monday so I'll listen to all that this weekend, and be back with "reviews" and the winner probably monday. You've got until this point to submit your entries!

Here's mine :

Jean Quida

Here's mine : https://soundcloud.com/jeanquida/tune-contest-73-miracle-and-despair

I hope it's not too late, I just started today.
My music takes place a little bit before the beginning, I tried to describe a peaceful city in the sky which is now under attack.
I am not happy about the second part, but I don't want to spend more time on it :p

Hmm, the competition seems

MechaKrauser

Hmm, the competition seems pretty stiff. I sure hope my swimsuits don't get washed away in the surf hahaha :3

@Clan- Thanks for the tip, but I tried that already when you suggested it in another thread from a while back. I can usually play back 1 VST track, but any more than that is more than my cpu can handle. It's easier for me to just work in GP5 anyway, since a lot of the tweaks I make for it to sound good in guitar pro work against me when I import the midi to Reaper.

My entry: Broken

Avaruussaha

My entry: Broken Wings

Aftermath of the attack, the island is in ruins and adrift. But this is not the end, those who remain must push on towards a brighter future.

After I posted

I'm somewhat far into my production.

How's everyone else doing?

I scrapped 50% of what I had done, and redid the erased part 3 times. Quite a mess.

I'm back! I will quietly

david_cookie

I'm back! I will quietly listen to all that :) And welcome to Jean Quida \o/

So.. I was a little busy with

david_cookie

So.. I was a little busy with the Pokemon contest but here it is, the long awaited results ! ^^

MechaKrauser: like I already said, really good composition skill. We can really feel despair, hope and desolation in this!

sharprainmusic: aha, really didn't expect that! Although it is not really funny of course ^^' We can also feel 2 different atmospheres, and include actual footage of war was a risky but good idea! (even if it looses the fantasy part of the story of course :p). The 2nd part is maybe a little too joyful and fast-paced imo. Other than that, really good job!

Lloyde_Sorrow: woo, that's a really good composition! I find your miracle part very well made contrary to you ^^ We can really feel something magical is at work here! And the desolation part is gorgeous as well, it reminds me a little of FF10! Well done :)

JeanQuida: really beautiful, and those drums! <3 Really love this 1st part, it could be a town theme in any j-rpg ^^ Although it doesn't fit the story very well as you choosed to begin it before the attack. The transition to the attack theme is really well made and the compo in general is great!

Avaruussaha: it seems you had quite a fight to create this one.. but that was worth it! The compo, this piano.. it's absolutely fantastic <3 The desolation from these trumpets, broken by the hope with this piano and violins at 1:25, really is a work of art. The end is quite sad as well and reminds us that the situation is still quite dramatic.

And the winner is.. Avaruussaha! But maan.. That was a really tough, heartbreaking choice to make. You really all did a superb job, I'm really glad there were tracks of such good quality for my 1st story!

So Avaruussaha.. you have the keys of the future of our heroes into your hands! :)

Good job everyone and

Lloyde_Sorrow

Good job everyone and congrats Ava!

Congratulations Avaruussaha

Jean Quida

Congratulations Avaruussaha !!! \o/

Congrats everyone! I love

sharprainmusic

Congrats everyone! I love these contests!and congrats Avaruussaha

Aww snap! My swim shorts got

MechaKrauser

Aww snap! My swim shorts got washed away! haha.

I hope the next contest is a good one, too.

It's up to you to make it

Avaruussaha

It's up to you to make it good!

I'll jam a bit and proceed with the new thread sometime soonish.

Some really interesting and

BigHeadClan

Some really interesting and unique submissions this round, Sharprain you had me thinking Command & Conquer from opening to ending made me super nostalgic.

Welcome to the Tune contests JeanQuida that was a pretty awesome submission.

Re: It's up to you to make it

MechaKrauser

Thus speaks the Champ! So let's make the next contest a good one, people! :DD