You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest #72: Protect the Island!

Shrinx

And so, after the epic confrontation with- damn, what was its name again? -the group were successful in completing the ritual, in turn appeasing the Wind Goddess and allowing the island to float for yet another century. It was a difficult trial, but it was time to meet with the elves once more and celebrate their success!

The resulting party lasted well into the dead of night. There was much dancing and drinking around a large campfire in the forest, and for the first time in a long while, our heroes were finally able to relax and have a good time. This however was not to last for very long.

Suddenly, they all heard explosions from off in the distance, and could even feel the ground rumbling. They rushed to where the explosions were coming from and were shocked at what they found. A platoon of airships, having followed the group from Grand City, were bombarding the elves’ city! Buildings were crumbling to the ground, its citizens being blown away in every direction. After the group had worked so hard to keep the island in the sky, it was going to be destroyed, just like that! As the airships began deploying their ground troops, our heroes knew what had to be done.

The celebration would have to wait. They had to protect the island!

---

I wonder how long this story will go on. It’s already been pretty interesting how it’s progressed so far, so I’m looking forward to where this goes!

You could either focus on the theme itself and make a battle theme, or some kind of desperate sounding piece, or whatever, or you could score the whole scenario I’ve written out; the choices are yours and yours alone!

Your only restriction is that it needs to be at least 1 minute long.

Other than that, make what you want, in whatever style you want, with whatever instruments you want. Go nuts! I’m looking forward to what you guys come up with!

EDIT: The deadline has been extended to February 18th to make up for the time lost while Gametabs was down.

Once again…
Duration: 1 minute +
Deadline: February 18th

Good luck!

https://soundcloud.com/steve-

sharprainmusic

https://soundcloud.com/steve-sharp-music/a-small-victory-sharp-rain-music

here is my entry, the first part I didn't want it to sound too celebraty. I imagined one party member knowing the horror that was coming to get them and quietly waited.

Re: https://soundcloud.com/steve-

Shrinx

sharprainmusic said

I imagined one party member knowing the horror that was coming to get them and quietly waited.

That's actually a really nice take on the situation. I guess I never did specify how the individual party members would be thinking, so you could take that as having a lot more freedom with this kind of theme.

Hmm pretty busy on my end

BigHeadClan

Hmm pretty busy on my end doubt I will make it in time for a submission, house hunting takes up lots of time XD.
But will see if I can squeeze some time in for something unlikely as it is, hopefully Ash has time to get the site back up and running @ 100% over the next few days.

Woo, finally be able to login

david_cookie

Woo, finally be able to login and access to this topic! So here's my entry: https://soundcloud.com/messire_cookie/tune-contest-72-we-will-celebrate-later
I hope gametabs connection issues will soon be fixed!

I got something started, but

Avaruussaha

I got something started, but my fretboard decided it wants to separate from the neck. I am not amused.

Oh very nice work Mr. Cookie

BigHeadClan

Oh very nice work Mr. Cookie especially liked the transition around the 1 minute mark.

@Avaruussaha Aw did the neck snap or did the fret board just pull away from the neck? Hopefully you don't need a new neck, and if you do that it's a bolt on guitar replacing a set-neck guitar is expensive!

Oh dear lord, I can finally

Shrinx

Oh dear lord, I can finally get on this site again.
Well, needless to say that deadline kinda got completely screwed.
Extension?

Hah sounds good to me,

BigHeadClan

Hah sounds good to me, currently in the middle of buying a house but most of the loose ends should be tied up this week.

Extension!

Shrinx

RIGHT!

So now that things seem to be fine here once again, I'm extending the deadline to make up for the time we lost while the site was down. Given that the site went down almost immediately after I posted the contest conditions, I'll stick with the initial time frame and give you guys another three weeks from today.

Your new deadline is Feb 18th. I'll also amend this up above.

Once again, good luck guys!!

Oh my! It works again! the

sharprainmusic

Oh my! It works again! the link seemed to have failed so here is my entry again lol https://soundcloud.com/sharp-rain-music/a-small-victory-sharp-rain-music

Re: Oh my! It works again! the

Shrinx

Yeah, I noticed that and had been meaning to ask about it. Thanks for fixing that up!

@Sharprainmusic - Oh another

BigHeadClan

@Sharprainmusic - Oh another submission totally missed your original post XD, very nice transition in the middle sir SFX add such a nice vibe sometimes.

Flying Battery Zone: Initiate!

MechaKrauser

Since you mentioned alarms and airships I can't stop thinking about the Flying Battery zone and its BGM from Sonic 3 lol

Not sure if I'll have an entry this time around... just can't seem to think of anything cool enough :|
I'll keep pondering and try to come up with something though.

You can do it! I believe in

Shrinx

You can do it! I believe in you all!

Well, today's the last

Shrinx

Well, today's the last day.

If anyone for any reason needs a little more time, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Will see what I can conjure

BigHeadClan

Will see what I can conjure up later in the day real life got in the way XD

No submission from me this

BigHeadClan

No submission from me this time round gents. Sorry!

Gonna have to sit this one

Lloyde_Sorrow

Gonna have to sit this one out. My apologies. Well, I have a song that I could use that I composed a little while ago. It's not the best, but it's something. If Shrinx doesn't mind the late entry, of course. Fighting for that which is Treasured

RIGHTIO! Let's finish this

Shrinx

RIGHTIO! Let's finish this up, shall we?

Now, considering everything that happened with the site right as I made this contest, I'm quite pleased with the turnout, even if not many people were able to participate this time. But in saying that; who of you lucky few takes the prize?

sharprainmusic, A Small Victory - I loved the idea you had going there, making the beginning more somber as if one character knew this was coming. The alarm sound in the middle made for a pretty good transition to the attack as well.

david_cookie, We Will Celebrate Later - I think you captured the entire scene perfectly. A more relaxing tone to begin with as the group settles after their encounter, and a more mellow tone when the attack begins, which I think really fits the circumstances by which the group has been called to arms.

Lloyde_Sorrow, Fighting for that which is Treasured - Despite having composed it a while ago, I decided to give yours a listen anyway so I have a bit more ground to cover. Personally, I loved it, but it unfortunately doesn't fit the theme all that well. Your piece is better suited for what you named it. Still a great piece though!

--------------------------------

And our winner is.... (drumroll please)

david_cookie!

Congratulations, and thanks to everyone for participating!

Alright david_cookie, you're up! Can't wait to see what you have planned for us!

Wow, thanks Shrinx! Never

david_cookie

Wow, thanks Shrinx! Never thought I would win this contest one day, I just needed to hack gametabs server after all *kof kof..
Aha :p So.. it's my turn to write something if I understand well. I'm not sure I'm really up to the task as I'm pretty new and don't have good english (nor french actually) writing skills, but I will certainly try! I didn't read the story from the start so I hope to not screw everything up ^^ Well.. I'll be back soon with Tune Contest #73!

Congrats David!!!!

sharprainmusic

Congrats David!!!!

Yep congrats mr cookie.

BigHeadClan

Yep congrats mr cookie.

oh wow, this ended! hopefully

tiger child

oh wow, this ended! hopefully the site stays afloat so it isn't so easy to forget it exists from now on.

nice job, david cookie. as for the next contest, you don't have to do anything story related. you can do whatever you want. the story started because i always write thorough ideas with a lot of imagery. i guess after the last time i did it, people wanted to keep going with it, but it's not necessary to do. make your contest whatever you are inspired for it to be.

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

I've spoke to Ash about the

BigHeadClan

I've spoke to Ash about the site we can expect some changes in the future.

Eventually found my way back

Avaruussaha

Eventually found my way back here again, totally forgot about the site at some point.

Most likely participating in the next one, even though my guitar is still in sorry condition..

Edit: Also, the sticky with past winners should be updated, so it's easier to check what has been done lately. Who does this?

I think that was Jit updating

BigHeadClan

I think that was Jit updating the results, I don't think hes been on in a while maybe we should bug Auir to edit the post.