You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

What should I buy to record acoustic guitar?

KAT

Hi, I want to record my Taylor 314CE on my PC with a good quality, but unfortunatelly my knowledge about homerecording hardware is a bit low. As far as I know I need: Audio interface and 2 condenser microphones with cardioid characteristic (stereo recording = best results).

Can you recommend me a good audio interface? Budget: around 300$

I am thinking about these models, but it is hard to make decision for me:
- Roland Quad Capture
- NI Komplete Audio 6
- Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
- Steinberg UR 44
- M-Audio M Track Quad

For now Steinberg UR 44 is my favorite. Is this good idea to buy that one? Any opinions, please.

Now mics, I am thinking about these:
- Shure SM81 - price is a bit too high, but I heard very good opinions about that mic
- Rode NT5 Pair - two mics for one Shure SM81 price
- Rode NT1-A
- Oktava MK-012-01 - again, 2 for one Shure SM81 price

Is this good idea to purchase 2 the same mics? Or maybe better is to purchase 2 mics but diffferent? I do not know how much money should I spend for good pair of mics. Any advice in that topis is like a gold for me.

Thank you for your advices!

As far as interfaces go I'm

BigHeadClan

As far as interfaces go I'm not familiar with any ones you listed, so I will only suggest that you ensure they have Phantom power for your condenser microphone.

I see most people recommend and use the SM57 at entry level, I've tried out the Audio Technica AT2020 with a shotgun and it's a great set for about $250-$300. However the SM81 looks to be on a few top 10 lists and Amazon has it for 40% off which is a steal.

The 2 mic-sets you can buy, one is typically a shotgun mic which is very good at directional recording.

The other has a larger diaphram and usually lets you record various patterns to catch different elements of the room or instrument your recording. (Slides on a guitar or room ambiance).

Take some of this with a grain of salt as I haven't dabbled much with microphones.

Do you have a good room to

auriplane

Do you have a good room to record in?

----------

Auriplane!!

For interfaces it all depends

Deiselc

Deiselc

For interfaces it all depends on how many mic inputs you need since unless you plan on using an external pre amp then every interface you listed will do pretty much the same job. I quite like the build quality of Focusrite or Presonus products.

For mics I usually use a Rode NT1000 large diaphragm condenser and a Shure PG81 pencil condenser. Sometimes I'll switch out the PG81 for a Rode NTG2 shotgun mic or a Shure SM57 if I want a different sound. Sometimes I'll even use a third room mic too.

----------

Deiselc

Re: Do you have a good room to

KAT

auriplane said

Do you have a good room to record in?

Not too good I think, it is small without some kind of hmm reverb. But it is quiet.

Deiselc said

For interfaces it all depends on how many mic inputs you need since unless you plan on using an external pre amp then every interface you listed will do pretty much the same job. I quite like the build quality of Focusrite or Presonus products.

For mics I usually use a Rode NT1000 large diaphragm condenser and a Shure PG81 pencil condenser. Sometimes I'll switch out the PG81 for a Rode NTG2 shotgun mic or a Shure SM57 if I want a different sound. Sometimes I'll even use a third room mic too.

It is possible that in future I will use 3 mics, so I need minimum 4 inputs - 3 for mics and 1 for guitar. I heard that recording electro-acoustic guitar directly can be nice addition to sound recorded via mics. Hmm that Rode NT1000 and Shure PG81 looks interesting. Can you share some acoustic samples?

I've personally never really

Deiselc

Deiselc

I've personally never really liked the recorded sound of an acoustic pickup but some people can make it sound great.

Here's two songs I recorded fairly recently with the NT1000, PG81 setup. I have the NT1000 pointing around the 12th fret and the PG81 pointing near the back of the sound hole.
They are full band style recordings but you can hear what the acoustic sounds like in a mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfAlbZAw1Fw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbmRpy_ROrQ

----------

Deiselc

I'm currently trying to get a

TheDoomOfAllFires

VG Maniak

I'm currently trying to get a decent sound out of an electro-acoustic classical guitar, directly through my guitar link (I don't have any external microphone, and can't afford any, sadly).
I'm still kinda new to all this, and I can't get rid of the background noise I got without screwing up the sound.
Any advice, or link to a software or whatever to reduce this noise would be great :p

----------

Check out my VGM cover channel ! :p
https://www.youtube.com/c/VGManiak

@Doom Try looking into a

BigHeadClan

@Doom
Try looking into a Samson Metor mic I use it for all my acoustic recordings you can find it for about $50-90 bucks, it's a usb microphone that has comparable audio quality to the Blue Yeti and is a good deal cheaper. The down side is that it can pick up a lot of room noise and it lacks the more studio oriented tools like XLR inputs.

Reaper & Audacity both have free noise removal tools, sometimes you can get clipping in the audio so always good to double check.

I'm afraid we would hear my

TheDoomOfAllFires

VG Maniak

I'm afraid we would hear my PC more than my guitar with that kind of gear.
This computer is like an airplane ready to take-off, but anyway, I can't afford anything right now, and have other priorities anyway (a -much, much- better interface than what I currently own, but it comes with the price :/)
The only thing I can rely on are those noise removal tool. The point is, the one included in Cubase 5 aren't really efficient (or maybe I don't know how to use them well, lol). Guess the tools included in Reapee aren't really different than those.
Maybe there are some other things I could use.
A friend told me about a VST I could use, but he didn't remember the name when we talked about it. :(

----------

Well if your ever looking to

BigHeadClan

Well if your ever looking to quiet your PC down I highly recommend Noctua fans, they are a bit pricey but they are super quiet and cool very well. A cheap alternative would also to buy a fan-controller for your PC.

I didn't like Cubases built in noise suppressor, Reapers noise suppresso (Reafir)lets you adjust how sensitive you want the removal to be and is in general better. Maybe try playing around with it, you could also try using some EQ tricks to help eliminate background noise.

I don't have any experience

Thecoolestnerdguy

I don't have any experience or expertise on the matter at all, but... I thought it'd be cool to show something I just recently found out about:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/acoustic/mag-mic

It's a magnetic pickup for acoustic guitar bundled with an omnidirectional condenser mic. Like, why didn't anyone think about that before??! So clever!
Of course, it only works for steel strings, but...

P.S: Here's a demo of it, showing both the mag sound and the mic sound:
https://youtu.be/aGHjvmTS9bY

----------

" If every porkchop were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs! " - UNIVERSE, Greg

youtube.com/thecoolestnerdguy

@CoolestNerdGodin guitars

BigHeadClan

@CoolestNerd

Godin guitars use a similar multiple pickup/microphone set up as well. I have an acoustic from them, amazing tone whether it's plugged in or not.

Edit: That was some sweet playing in the demo.

Oh, that mag mic thing is

auriplane

Oh, that mag mic thing is fantastic! I want one! :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

@BHC : I just tried the

TheDoomOfAllFires

VG Maniak

@BHC : I just tried the Reafir plug-in on Cubase, and it worked perfectly !
Just had to -really slightly- cut the low ends with an EQ to completely get rid of the humming noise, but the results are far beyond my expectations !
Now I can really start to work.
Thanks man !

----------

What I can say from

Thecoolestnerdguy

What I can say from experience is that, when recording acoustic instruments, your room makes A LOT of difference.
Maybe investing in acoustic treatment would also be a nice idea?

----------

" If every porkchop were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs! " - UNIVERSE, Greg

youtube.com/thecoolestnerdguy

I will think about this after

KAT

I will think about this after buying whole hardware.

Re: @BHC : I just tried the

BigHeadClan

No problem sir!