You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest #70: 100年の儀式 (100-Nen no gishiki) ~The 100 Year Ceremony~

Lloyde_Sorrow

Alright, the wait is over! We're going to continue the story that was set up by Tiger Child and continued by TCNG. :3
======================
Having made their way to the Legendary Floating Island of Uzüb Gedirdi, our heroes take it upon themselves to rest up. They decide that stocking up on supplies can wait until after that. While the others prepare to wind down for the night, one of our nameless heroes decides to bask himself in the shadows of the night for a while.

He notices very few elves on the street as he slowly walks the city. He wonders whether or not that is normal. He stops and breathes in the night air. It's a cold night tonight, he thinks to himself. He wonders if that, too, is normal on the island. He thinks about how lucky him and his companions were to stumble upon this legendary island. That isn't something that happens very frequently if even at all. He considers that for a moment. Perhaps it was not a coincidence. Perhaps they were guided here. He thinks back to the strong winds that forced them to come here.
"Was it really fate that brought us here?"
"No. It was I."

Startled by the sudden appearance of the elf, our nameless hero jumps back and stumbles to the ground. He quickly stands and prepares himself for a possible confrontation. The old elf tells him to be at ease. He has no intention of harming him or his companions. Our hero takes a closer look at the old elven man. He is obviously quite old and he looks poorly dressed. An odd thing, he thought to himself. All of the elves that he and his companions saw throughout the day had been nicely dressed. The elf seemed to know what he was thinking for he explained that there were two classes: the rich and the poor. He said that he belonged to the poor class and also that he was the leader of a secret sect that worships the wind goddess. He states that it was he, aided by the wind goddess, that guided him and his companions to the legendary island. Our hero stands there in silence processing this new information. It would be best to tell this to the others, he thinks to himself. He tells the old elf that he needs to go back to his friends and speak with them. The old elf tells him that there is no need for they all are already here.

The old man nodded his head and the other heroes were brought from the shadows. They were accompanied by other poor looking people who were more than likely from the religious sect that worshiped the wind goddess. The nameless heroes stood together and the other poor elves went to stand behind their sect leader. The old man then began to explain why they were brought to the island. He first explained how the island floats up in the sky thanks to the wind goddess. They hold a ceremonial ritual every 100 years to ensure that the island stays afloat. The rich inhabitants of the upper city have grown distant with some of the old ways, so they are unaware of this. Many of them have forgotten the wind goddess and because of that, she is losing power.

For this centuries ceremonial ritual, the poor inhabits of the "underworld" are in need of more power in order for the ritual to succeed. They do not want to see the island fall and crumble into sea below. The heroes ask why they do not rally the upper inhabitants. The old man explains that they are corrupted and lost and what little power they have will not be enough. The only people who are powerful enough to help with the ritual are the heroes whose name rings throughout the lands.
Our heroes have a hard time believing that they are legendary and that their names ring throughout the land, but they were willing to help with the ritual so that the island could continue to float in the sky. The poor inhabitants gave their humble thanks and then led our heroes to the "underworld."
It was time to begin the ritual.
======================

Well, that's that! I admit that I'm not the best writer... but I tried! I had help from Tiger Child with the idea. I hope no one minds that. Also, I hope that this inspires you to write something. And if not... well, force something out! ;) You can either focus on the ritual/ceremony (the theme of this contest) or you can do something cinematic like and score from one event to the next (including the ritual, of course).

Instrumentation: Whatever you feel fits.
Duration: At least 1 minute.

Due:

October 19, 2015 (in 3 Weeks)

October 12 is in 2 weeks, not

hashel

October 12 is in 2 weeks, not 3 :p

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

Re: October 12 is in 2 weeks, not

Lloyde_Sorrow

You're right! My mistake. Fixed :). Thanks for pointing that out!

I'll do my best to enter, i

hashel

I'll do my best to enter, i like that idea to keep on with the story ;)

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

Ohh I think I got something

Avaruussaha

Ohh I think I got something coming up already

I may have time for this,

BigHeadClan

I may have time for this, depending how crazy work gets these next 2 months.

Off topic: For tune contest #71 lets do a mini contests as I'm trying to create a dedicated intro(and maybe outro) for the Gametabs youtube channel and wanted a unique song to play, it will only be about 10-20 second requirement so I may ask for 2x submissions from each person.

The winner or winners will have their song play for the official youtube intro/outro, I will hopefully have them both animated in the next month or so.

Thoughts? or suggestions?

Gotta be very careful with

Avaruussaha

Gotta be very careful with intros. They are very often skipped as a nuisance.

Hence the 10-20 second intro

BigHeadClan

Hence the 10-20 second intro time, if it was something longer then it would be skipped for sure. lol

Re: Hence the 10-20 second intro

tiger child

10-20 seconds honestly is a really long intro, when a video might only be 1 minute long. i think you could get away with just a really short graphic. i'm not sure how it works using characters from properties we obviously have no rights to use in a graphic or animation, so i'll hold back on any suggestions or ideas for that part of it. but i feel like something less than 5 seconds would be best. and audio-wise, you dont need an intro so much as just an iconic video game sound or a very brief (again only 2-3 seconds) sting to accompany the end of the graphic.

from a musical point of view, i'd obviously prefer a 20 second long intro - i already even had an idea for one. from a viewer standpoint, i dont want to sit through 10-20 seconds leading into every video.

anyway, just my thoughts on it.

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

Re: Hence the 10-20 second intro

Lloyde_Sorrow

Hmmm... In my opinion, 10-20 seconds is too long. Well, more so 20 than 10 (which is still long for an intro).

I also kind of think we should have a separate contest to choose a song for it. Maybe doing it for the next contest would be fine. Maybe not. I'm not really sure myself. We'll need the opinion of others. I suppose it's ultimately up to whoever wins.

For a moment I was thinking we could try to do a collaboration and compose the intro/outro that way, but that would be a bit chaotic. Especially when the song(s) will be really short.

Edit: Tiger Child beat me to it! Well said.

Hmm seems like a shorter

BigHeadClan

Hmm seems like a shorter intro is preferred, I will make a separate thread for this after FF8 album wraps up so we don't totally derail this contests. lol

Ohohoh, that sounds like a

Thecoolestnerdguy

Ohohoh, that sounds like a pretty cool theme! Never would have thought of that... Man, this is so much fun! I just love collaborative writing, and collaborative creative efforts in general.

I might try to do something a little different this time. Zackery Wilson SNESQUE inspired me to make songs using SNES soundfonts, but with modern production techniques. Let's see how that turns out... after I finish my FREAKING FF VIII ENTRIES!

'Bout the intro song... 10 seconds already sounds like a little too much, for me. If it was a gameplay channel, I would happily watch a 30 second intro for a 15 minute video, but... I guess the kind of people that access Gametabs YT channel just wanna hear the damn song. I don't think there's a need for a separate contest just for that...

----------

" If every porkchop were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs! " - UNIVERSE, Greg

youtube.com/thecoolestnerdguy

@coolestnerdguy It's totally

BigHeadClan

@coolestnerdguy

It's totally your fault for making Esperançoso! The first 14 odd seconds works so well for an intro, so
as you can see it's clearly not my fault. lol

As for why I thought it would make a good mini-tune contest is because we often don't limit how long a song can be so I wanted to see what the community could come up with for a short 10-20 seconds. In additon gametabs is a community site I thought it would be fitting to have one of our submissions turn into the intro theme.

My proposition

david_cookie

I'm pretty new here and I've just discovered this Tune Contest series. It's a really good idea! I (obviously) didn't read all other entries but it's a really good training to make music corresponding to an atmosphere or/and a story.
I've decided to make one for this contest, cinematic-like as Lloyde proposed us. It's normally synchro with the Lloyd text-reading, depending on how fast you read of course :p For a real game, the last part from 1:05 to 1:40 could do a loop to extend the time of the track until the end of the cinematic.

So here it is: A Not So Peaceful Night

A short track but hope you enjoy!

@David cookie I thought you

BigHeadClan

@David cookie

I thought you were doing a Metal gear solid homage for a second, very different yet kind of similar pacing and sound effects. Either way great job!

Aha, it's true that it sounds

david_cookie

Aha, it's true that it sounds like a mgs alert :p This "alarm" was intentional to highlight the surprise entrance of the elf, when we don't know if it's an enemy or an ally yet, but I don't expect mgs ^^
Well.. thank you sir!

Great work David_Cookie!

sharprainmusic

Great work David_Cookie!

Here is my entry, its a lot different than my other stuff, a lot more gentle. I wanted to follow the story so I kept to the feelings of uneasy-ness, this is how I imagined it in my head.
00:00 - 00:25 - Contemplation
00:25 - 00:50 - Revelation
00:50 - 01:08 - Wind Goddess
01:08 - 01:42 - Humble Creatures
01:42 - End - Path to the underworld

Anyway Hope you like it :) Keep up the amazing work everyone!

would help if i put the link

sharprainmusic

would help if i put the link in!
https://soundcloud.com/steve-sharp-music/100-years-tune-contest-70-entry

Re: would help if i put the link

tiger child

nice work. there is some definite dissonance in when those first harmonies come in, and i think it works pretty well. i like that you were working along with the story. it feels less sure of itself in the second half, but it still works, i think.

----------

-brick road

Thanks sharprainmusic! You've

david_cookie

Thanks sharprainmusic! You've done a really great work too. I really love the atmosphere and the calm of the first part, then the bass that brings some uneasiness. I find the second half maybe too joyful, it changes the mood I enjoyed too soon. Like tiger child said, it still works though. Overall a pretty good entry :)

Cheers for the comments guys!

sharprainmusic

Cheers for the comments guys! Definitely something to think about for future projects. Good Luck Everyone!

I wrote something for this :D

MechaKrauser

I read back in one of the older threads that even virtual instruments and midi would be acceptable for these contests, (I hope I'm not mistaken) so I wrote something specifically for this contest in Guitar Pro.

Here's the entry: https://soundcloud.com/user-326023606/requiem-for-a-goddess-of-wind

I like how the the other entries have used the song structure to tell the story. That's such a good idea! So I've taken a similar approach. Mine is broken down as:

0:00 - 0:16 A moonlit stroll
0:16 - 0:32 A cold wind approaches
0:32 - 1:04 A Fate is afloat
1:04 - 1:20 The Gathering
1:20 - 1:36 Requiem for a Goddess of Wind
1:36 - 2:07 Plea for Salvation
2:07 - 2:23 The path is forward
2:23 - 2:29 Heart of a hero

I was basically trying to capture a looming threat and the desperation of the elves as they plead with the heroes to help them. At the very end of the song, the pleas of the elves reach the hearts of the heroes and they decide to assist the elves. The guitar riff is something I thought a sad elf might be playing nearby on such a fateful night.

P.S. Sorry for the awful quality; it's Guitar Pro midi and it's all I have to work with :P

Pretty good MechaKrauser!

david_cookie

Pretty good MechaKrauser! Really love the melody of the acoustic guitar that always stays in the background, and the melancholia feeling overall :) Not easy to discern the different parts of the song however, I think it's more of a melodic ambient music. At least it's pretty consistent all along! Too bad that this is Guitar Pro, it would deserve a better quality ^^
You don't have other softwares to work with? I learnt Ableton Live 2 years ago and it's quite easy to use, even for someone like me who does all by ear. And there are others even easier! I do respect guys - and girls - like you who write real tabs though :p

Nice!

Lloyde_Sorrow

Hey, two new faces to the tune contests! Welcome and good luck! I hope to see you two in future contests as well! :)

Yup MechaKrauser, virtual instruments and MIDI are accepted as well. You can make a drum out of a box and a melodic instrument out of rubber bands and a tissue box and that would be perfectly acceptable, too! Music is music :) This may be a guitar tab site, but that doesn't necessarily mean everything has to be guitars, drums and bass only ;)

No worries about the quality :)

Edit: Also, check out Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra if you're interested :)

@Lloyde_Sorrow but, but...

david_cookie

@Lloyde_Sorrow but, but... Thank you man! Just downloaded Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra with a sfz vst for Live. Super fast and clean instruments, all new possibilities for me. Really, thank you.. you made my day!

Re: @Lloyde_Sorrow but, but...

Lloyde_Sorrow

You're welcome. Glad I was able to help! :)

new faces! woo. now if only

tiger child

new faces! woo. now if only we could coax some of these old battle tested curmudgeons out of their dwellings. *cough*i swear to fuck i'm going to try to find time to record something*cough*

----------

-brick road

Re: new faces! woo. now if only

BigHeadClan

Sounds like something I would say. :)

Thanks

MechaKrauser

Thanks david and Lloyde!

The only issue I have with using other softwares is that my laptop is a very old single-core Dell and Guitar Pro RSE actually lags sometimes so I stick to midi. I'll look into Ableton Live and Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra and see if I can run them -_-; lol

It's really just a simple Am-F(F w/ open g-string) melody (on capo 4) that I came up with while reading the intro. I'll post the gp5 and midi in case anyone wants a closer look.
Goddess zip

I am the lag of my cpu

MechaKrauser

I looked into Ableton Live 8 and the Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra, but they cause my laptop to lag like crazy (as expected -_-;) Thanks for the suggestions but I'm afraid my laptop can't handle it so I'll be sticking with recorded Guitar Pro midi for the foreseeable future lol.

Gritar Pro's crappy midi does have a certain charm to it, though. Sort of sounds like something out of a video game. Maybe I can play that up some in the next contest ;)

Looking forward to more entries!

Mmmhh.. it's true that

david_cookie

Mmmhh.. it's true that Ableton Live is quite heavy to support :/ Like I said, it exists some other softwares like Audiokinetic Wwise, Cubase, or FL Studio. Never used them so don't know if it's lighter..

Or you can make chiptune music with Schism Tracker. I think this software can easily work on your computer. A little example of what you can make with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmJ3Gi83nXw&feature=youtu.be&t=10m8s with our national treasure MisterMv :p

And if you have a good phone or tablet, this software seems pretty good to make music everywhere: https://www.image-line.com/flstudiomobile/.

I admit that Guitar Pro does have a certain charm but it would be nice if you can learn another software to expand your possibilities, because you really have good composition skills and I'd like to hear what you could produce with such softwares :)

Re: I am the lag of my cpu

BigHeadClan

Hey Mecha, try this in reaper and it should prevent your laptop from lagging.

In reaper (assuming your using it) > Right Click on all tracks > Open Track Performance Options > and select " Prevent Antipactive FX" you may also unselect "Enable Track Metering".

Cheers sir!

@david_cookie: Thanks for the

MechaKrauser

@david_cookie:
Thanks for the suggestions! When I tried Ableton I was able to play back the acoustic guitar solo'd okay (set up as a free VST from http://www.dskmusic.com/), but when I tried to add the other tracks it began to lag. So I'm thinking it's a matter of finding low-resource-consuming VSTs. Those chiptunes sound cool but it's not really my style :P

@BigHeadClan:
Actually I just used Guitar Pro and Audacity to record that back there. I set Audacity to record the input going to my speakers and played the tab in Guitar Pro. Then I cut off the blank spots at the beginning and end and exported as wav from Audacity. I didn't straight up record it using Guitar Pro because that requires the use of a microphone and the output of the computer's speakers (both of which are low quality on my end). I've only just checked out Reaper but it looks promising.

I'm going to make a separate thread in the Help/Tips/Suggestions section so it doesn't get off topic too much here XD

Entry

Sheldon The Ponage

Here is the little tune I came up with for this theme...Ceremonial
Cool songs, everyone, I've enjoyed every entry so far...

----------

Shetlan The Ponage

Unofficial Semi-Related Entry

Lloyde_Sorrow

Down in the poor section of the Legendary Floating Island, there is a Monastery where the men perform their prayers and sacred rite.

Down In The Monastery (Theme Of The Religous Men Of The Undercity)

An quick unofficial semi-related entry by me! I got a little restless and decided I'd compose something along the lines of the story. It seems kind of biased, but there are women, too. It's just that I had a clear idea in mind andd didn't wanna stray from it. Maybe I'll make a separate theme for the women, too. And maybe one for the "Undercity" itself (I should have called it Undercity in the main post instead of underworld XD)! I think I'm getting ahead of myself haha.

Anyway, nice entries so far (I can't comment on them just yet)! I hope we can get some more rolling in! That will make it tougher than it already will be to judge, of course, but I don't completely mind!

Edit: Should probably go back and smooth out some of those dynamics at the end...

Sounds like..

MechaKrauser

Sounds like we have a Gametabs Heroic concept album in the making XD

Cool tune Sheldon. I like the drums. I can't make stuff like that myself :)

These entries are amazing!

sharprainmusic

These entries are amazing! Everyone is doing an amazing job. Hmm I agree mecha, do you think we could turn this into a full story album? With the winners tune having narration over to generate a full story?

Re: These entries are amazing!

MechaKrauser

Beats me, I'm just pitching ideas XD

I was just thinking that it's going to be kind of sad when the story ends because the contest winner wants to do their own thing rather than continuing the story (I think it's just starting to get good). Because, you know, not everyone can write with words as well as they can with music ;)

For example, if I were to write the next part, I would turn the story into a cliche anime-style Battle Harem! I would insert myself as the main character and make the heroes all beautiful magic and sword wielding heroines that have their japanese schoolgirl outfits blasted off during a fight against a tentacle-beast (Just kidding XD Seriously, I really wouldn't do any of that lololol)

I think it's fun and I'd like it to keep going for as long as possible (or a while longer at least) because I think it could get pretty good (story and music-wise).

okay. geez. music work i had

tiger child

okay. geez. music work i had to do for someone - done. novella i was writing's first draft - done (as of 6am this morning).

so i'd think i should totally be capable of managing a track this go-around.

but i just got a ps4 yesterday. will be hooking it up today. so..uh...you know. and then in 4 days i start working on a comic book for a contest.

the point is, I'M GOING TO TRY. but don't hold me to it, lloyde.

----------

-brick road

Tracking, but making too many

Avaruussaha

Tracking, but making too many mistakes so it's gonna take quite a few more retakes...

Wooo, too many posts since

david_cookie

Wooo, too many posts since last time!

@BigHeadClan and MechaKrauser: I heard lots of good things about Reaper. And it's free as well. Seems like a pretty good alternative!

@Sheldon The Ponage: another good entry. Really solid drums and good rhythm transition on the middle. It could be a suitable ambient theme in a RPG I think :)

@Lloyde_Sorrow: I really love your unofficial entry ^^ A holy and quite disturbing atmosphere, that fits pretty well with this part of the story. Good job!

Overall I like the idea of an audio book, with all stories put together along with their respective winner themes. Lots of work but it would be awesome!
And I also agree that some people here are surely more able to continue the story than others. I for example am a not so great writer, and french. I would be enable to write as well as Lloyde did for this contest #70, not with this level of english anyway.

Re: okay. geez. music work i had

Lloyde_Sorrow

tiger child said

okay. geez. music work i had to do for someone - done. novella i was writing's first draft - done (as of 6am this morning).

so i'd think i should totally be capable of managing a track this go-around.

but i just got a ps4 yesterday. will be hooking it up today. so..uh...you know. and then in 4 days i start working on a comic book for a contest.

the point is, I'M GOING TO TRY. but don't hold me to it, lloyde.

Congratz on finishing the 1st draft of the novella! No worries. Take the time to enjoy yourself. You deserve it :)

david_cookie said

@Lloyde_Sorrow: I really love your unofficial entry ^^ A holy and quite disturbing atmosphere, that fits pretty well with this part of the story. Good job!

Overall I like the idea of an audio book, with all stories put together along with their respective winner themes. Lots of work but it would be awesome!
And I also agree that some people here are surely more able to continue the story than others. I for example am a not so great writer, and french. I would be enable to write as well as Lloyde did for this contest #70, not with this level of english anyway.

Thank you!

Hmmm... I suppose a sort of story related audio book thing could be interested. I mean, it's kind of what we're doing now, only we didn't start from the very beginning of the adventure, I suppose. I suppose at some point someone is gonna want to stray from doing a story themed contest and just want to do a direct theme contest. Like, "Battle Theme!" or maybe "Love theme," ya know? Which is fine, of course, because they'd be hosting the contest. I say if we want to do a musical story book contest thing it should maybe be a side project... I would imagine the tune contests would have to be put on hold since most, if not all, of us would be the one's participating in that. I'm not even sure how an musical storybook type of thing would work. I mean, I guess one person could start it off. Maybe all of the participants could vote on whose piece best reflects the story bit provided and that person could do the next story bit. I don't know XD.

well maybe it could be

sharprainmusic

well maybe it could be similar to how the anime, Batman Gotham Knight was? different styles or indeed different narratives in a similar arc? It depends on if anyone is interested but I can mock something and see what everyone thinks?

and even if it didnt start somewhere, someone could maybe do a retrospective story in the future or an origins tale. I dont know, just throwing out suggestions XD

When you say...

MechaKrauser

When you say 'musical audio book' do you mean something similar to, for example, taking an audio book of The Lord of the Rings and writing bgm to be played while the narrator is speaking?

It might be good to consider doing a series of self-contained side stories/adventures, without focusing too much on an overall plot. (I'm thinking in the style of the anime Mushishi, if anyone knows it. Each episode is its own story without a real chronological order. The only things that remain constant are the main character, who wanders around, and some recurring side-characters)
That would give more creative more freedom for different people to tell a story in their own style without it being dictated too much by the other entries.

Though I do like the idea of each story leading into the next since it gives you a starting point and helps avoid initial writer's block. Whatever you all decide, as the Gametabs veterans, I'm game to participate!

Mmmh.. It's true that a big

david_cookie

Mmmh.. It's true that a big story could be difficult to handle as some people may leave the project on the way.
However I think short stories are a really good idea! One or two tune contests could be assembled to make one adventure. The next, another story etc..
Each of these stories could be rendered as a video, like dreams in Lost Odyssey. We already have a text, a music (if not several), we could even record a person who would read the text. A simple background implementation and we could upload them on Gametabs Channel or another one.
It would take us a little more of work, actually just for one person who should do the video editing.
Anyway.. just a suggestion but kinda like the idea :)

Aww man I forgot all about

sharprainmusic

Aww man I forgot all about this game and its beautiful narrative story telling! Thank you for reminding me of this!

I personally think something could work, we have story, we have music...why not combine the two?

I made a quick mock from last

sharprainmusic

I made a quick mock from last months entry, I am no editor and just used movie maker but what do you guys reckon?

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/r17go2zp60b4p3c/Tune_Contest_%2369_-_Host...

Cool, thanks, MechaKrauser

Sheldon The Ponage

Cool, thanks, MechaKrauser and David Cookie! Interesting ideas for competitions... I wish I were so creative...

----------

Shetlan The Ponage

Wooo sharprainmusic, for a

david_cookie

Wooo sharprainmusic, for a quick mock it's pretty good! Even perfect I should say, really need not more than that.
Never played to Lost Odyssey due to a lack of 360 but I would love to! Soul Sacrifice has really good story telling too, especially in its glossary --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd3XkoBuyA4&feature=youtu.be&t=21s
@Sheldon: it just reminds me of a game, no big deal. I'm sure you could have thought of this kind of idea too, even maybe a better one!

Thank you Mr cookie, I would

sharprainmusic

Thank you Mr cookie, I would to see what everyone thinks etc but at least it gives us something for the YouTube page also.

Lost odyssey was good but it got repetitive fast, the best bit was the dream sequences.

In terms of the video idea, if everyone does want to go ahead we could even include artwork made by the community, rather than Google images.

And Mr Sheldon, you are creative! You are here and entered the como, that takes courage and creativity! Not everyone can put their work ahead for public critism so be proud of yourself

@sharprain: That seems like a

MechaKrauser

@sharprain: That seems like a good idea :) I think you're onto something! The only things I think could make better are more images to go with the different parts of the song as it changes (I was thinking that it would slowly zoom in on the island and fade to black towards the end there), and maybe some fancy effects for the text transitions would be cool (and maybe a cool fantasy-type font). It sort of made me think of the Star Wars recap intros at the beginning of every movie.

I think it could also work with a voice-over (as long as they don't sound like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL2tz8vG30g lol) but it might be hard to find someone right for it (Certainly not me! :P). Having just text and music does give it more of an old 'RPG' feel, though.

Maybe we should just go the full mile and make a game. Anyone have RPG Maker? lol