You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Newbie Songs for Acoustic

uli.i.a37

So, I'm pretty much a newb that wants to learn how to play songs on, hopefully, progressively get better. So, I'm going to depend on you guys to recommened some easy (acoustic preferably) tabs for me and progressively give me even more challenging one as i ask. This way, other newbs could look at this and find/set goals for themselves because some people learn through that.
Like, I tell myself i have to complete a certain hard (to me) tab or a part of it to even think of looking at other tabs.

Edit: Also, I use a pick but i want to learn how to do Fingerstyle.

Re: Newbie Songs for Acoustic

uli.i.a37

Oh, and the first tab I played and also the tab that led me to this site was the Metal Gear Solid theme: http://www.gametabs.net/playstation/metal-gear-solid/main-theme/alex-gla...

----------

War makes rattling good history; but Peace is poor reading.

you can try green day songs

SalemJeanette

Save Your Tears.

you can try green day songs if you wanna learn power chords.

----------

23:33 Vic9mm said: its ture ida benn gone she took out like 3 kids before had what was that fat ass asian kid gonna do

Little J.

What chords do you know? If

musenji

What chords do you know? If you want to learn fingerstyle, one way to start is to take chords you already know and play them fingerstyle, making up your own pattern.

Personally, the first fingerpicking I ever learned (I think) was:

|-------3---2-----|-----------------|
|---3---------3---|-----3-----3---3-|
|-----2---------2-|---0-----0-------|
|-0-------0-------|-----------------|
|-----------------|-3-----2---------|
|-----------------|-------------3---|

...the opening riff from More Than a Feeling, by Boston.

It gets your left hand pinky into the action, if you've never used it before. Something that can anchor you for this tab is that you can hold your left hand ring finger on the 2nd string, 3rd fret the entire time. From there it should be pretty easy to figure out the rest of what to do with your left hand, to make it work.

For the right hand, your ring finger should be on the top string, middle on 2nd, index on 3rd, and the thumb plays the bottom three strings.

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

Stairway to heaven is also an

SalemJeanette

Save Your Tears.

Stairway to heaven is also an easy fingerstyle piece.

----------

23:33 Vic9mm said: its ture ida benn gone she took out like 3 kids before had what was that fat ass asian kid gonna do

Little J.

My advice is to learn simple

Wow_nonamesleft

My advice is to learn simple songs but also have a hard song that your working towards playing better The best way to get people to help you is to let us know what you can do on guitar. Can you play basic "cowboy chords" do barred chords, ect... and how would you rate yourself. "I believe I can play simple chords near perfect" ect...

There's a Finger Style selection right here - http://www.gametabs.net/style/1450 .

maybe you'll find something you want to learn in there,if so pick it then let me/us know here or in a PM and I'll try to help you.

I suck!!!

uli.i.a37

The thing is that i've stayed away from chords and been going by ear and tabs!! :'( I want to learn though so if you guys could point me in the right direction?

----------

What do you want to learn?

auriplane

What do you want to learn?

----------

Auriplane!!

I like this

Re: What do you want to learn?

uli.i.a37

I want to learn chords, what they are and how to use them.

----------

For that, I can recommend

auriplane

For that, I can recommend Musical Principles for the Skeptical Guitarist, volume 2 by Bruce Emery.

----------

Auriplane!!

there are hundreds of songs

Link_master9

there are hundreds of songs that use simple chord progressions. a lot of them only use 3 or 4 chords and some only use 2 chords. i'd recommend trying songs like Blue Suede Shoes by Elvis, Johnny B. Goode by Chuck Berry, Bye Bye Love by The Everly Brothers, Wild Thing by Jimi Hendrix and The Troggs, Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rock and Roll by Led Zeppelin and Love Me Do by The Beatles.

all of these songs use three chords. once you've mastered this 3 chord trick you'll be able to impress friends and family by playing a sequence of just 3 simple chords to literally hundreds of songs.

i'm a rhythm guitarist myself, not to much of a solo or lead guitarist

----------

Lampoil, rope, BOMBS? Chyou want it? It's yours my friend as long as you have enough RUPEES!!!!!

heh, I am more of a lead

GuitarFailKid

heh, I am more of a lead guitarist, know a lot of scales off the back of my hand and i'm pretty fluent with notes on the guitar but give me a simple chord progression to play along to a song and I'm royally fucked... seriously?! is that normal?

If you (link_master9) could give me some advice aswel, i'd be really grateful. I play electric guitar. primarily, would you be able to link me to something to start on? or recommend me something? please. thx

I love "Is there anybody out

Stamen47

no0bzOrG

I love "Is there anybody out there" by Pink Floyd for fingerstyle acoustic. The first section is easy and nice, the second section is a bit more difficult.

----------

Is this the end of zombie Shakespeare?

Re: heh, I am more of a lead

Link_master9

you could try the songs i listed above or you could try going to http://www.songsterr.com/ this site has a whole bunch of songs for beginners to the experts. this is the site that i primarily use for learning stuff. a lot of the beginner songs use chords and chord forms. i recently learned the redemption song by bob marley from that site. really simple!took abut 5 minutes to learn! they even have a collection of songs from games, tv series, and movies. all of their tabs are very accurate but only because the guitar pro program is used for all songs. so i strongly recommend checking out this site. if you have any other questions just ask and i will try my best to answer.

----------

Lampoil, rope, BOMBS? Chyou want it? It's yours my friend as long as you have enough RUPEES!!!!!

I started off with

tiganior1

The following post may contain mature humour, violence and coarse language which is not suitable for younger audiences. Parental discretion is advised.

A naruto tab.

Sadness and Sorrow; easy version.
Moved up to some obscure games at the time and Ghibli.

learn house of the rising

vikingskater

learn house of the rising sun, it has all the major chords that you need.