You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Guitar supports

Maikoi92

Linsey

Since I've no clue what to call this thing I'll link to it:

http://www.thomann.de/be/ergoplay_modell_johannes_tappert.htm

I want to buy one of those because I believe they'll relieve a lot of strain from my spine. I've been having some problems with my back lately, making me unable to play sometimes.

The thing is, they don't sell them in the local guitar/music store here and I have no clue what it feels like >.<
Is there anyone here who uses anything like it?

I've been checking that site and these are the ones I've found;

http://www.thomann.de/be/ergoplay_modell_johannes_tappert.htm
http://www.thomann.de/be/ergoplay_modell_michael_troester.htm
http://www.thomann.de/be/tappert_ergoplay_bk_lefthand.htm

These look like cushions..
http://www.thomann.de/be/hopf_dynarette_high.htm
http://www.thomann.de/be/hopf_dynarette_low.htm

I'm not sure if I should go for the cushion-like support or the other ones, since I have no clue what it'll be like.. I was hoping to get some advice and maybe hear about your experiences with these support things, it would really help :)

Also, I would prefer ordering it from that website, as I've ordered stuff from it before and am accustomed to it.

Will it bug you playing in

auriplane

Will it bug you playing in classical position? Or is that your intent? I think those are made for classical, so if you don't want to play that way, I'd find out if there's some way to use them in casual position before ordering.

----------

Auriplane!!

Ah yes, I was wondering if

Maikoi92

Linsey

Ah yes, I was wondering if they could be used in casual position as well.. I don't intend on playing in classical position, thanks for reminding :)

Why not just use a strap?

Arteriorrhexis

Bigot

Why not just use a strap?

Weight causes shoulder pain

Maikoi92

Linsey

Weight causes shoulder pain after a while >.<

Do you have shoulder or back

Arteriorrhexis

Bigot

Do you have shoulder or back problems?

Really? Acoustic guitars are

auriplane

Really? Acoustic guitars are pretty light. If you have good posture, a guitar under 8 lbs shouldn't cause back problems played standing up.

Sitting down is harder on your back. Make sure you have good posture and a firm seat, feet on the ground, and hopefully lower back support. And check the way you hold your guitar with a teacher.

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: Really? Acoustic guitars are

Arteriorrhexis

Bigot

auriplane said

Really? Acoustic guitars are pretty light. If you have good posture, a guitar under 8 lbs shouldn't cause back problems played standing up.

Sitting down is harder on your back. Make sure you have good posture and a firm seat, feet on the ground, and hopefully lower back support. And check the way you hold your guitar with a teacher.

exactly why I asked if there was a shoulder/back problem in this.

Now with my guitar, yeah that causes some pain, but an acoustic? I think not.

Ok now that I actually read

Arteriorrhexis

Bigot

Ok now that I actually read the whole thing I understand why you need one, spine problems suck.

I say go for it, you should be able to return it if you don't like it, right?

Re: Really? Acoustic guitars are

Maikoi92

Linsey

auriplane said

Oh I don't feel pain in my back when standing up, the weight just keeps pressing on my left shoulder and it starts to hurt there pretty soon. My Luna guitar is also quite a bit heavier than my Ibanez.. Playing while standing up also feels very uncomfortable for my left hand ><

Sitting down, I play with my right left elevated by putting my foot on something, or by crossing my legs. I can't with both feet on the ground >_< which is why I want to try such a guitar support, so I don't have to elevate my foot anymore.

The thing is, I lean forward in daily life a LOT, which demands a big deal from my back. I have a really bad posture, when sitting at school, at the computer, at dinner... I sometimes don't even walk straight and my shoulders hunch forward without I even realize it.. I'm trying to take notice of these things when they occur though and then try to correct it. But then I pick up my guitar.. and it starts to hurt around my lower back pretty soon.

The pain in my shoulder probably comes from having a stiff neck.

I probably should've explained it more in the first post.

And yeah, I can return it if I don't like it, but I wanted to get some more info on them beforehand ^^

My posture isn't very good

auriplane

My posture isn't very good either. I mean, walking around, my posture is great. But sitting, I tend to unconsciously lean forward or hunch ^-^; I keep fixing my posture all day, then later finding I've gone back to bad posture. And my chair is probably non-ideal, too.

I actually kind of want one of these Ergoplay things XD I haven't tried one before, but I saw someone using one, and it looked pretty neat.

----------

Auriplane!!

here's the type of guitar

Stamen47

no0bzOrG

here's the type of guitar support I have

http://www.thomann.de/be/gitano_gitarrenstuetze.htm

I got it because using a foot stool made my back start aching, and keeping both my feet on the ground really helps, because it lets me keep my back straight. I mostly rest it on my left leg, but it sounds like you plan on resting it on your right leg (assuming your right handed). It works pretty good for this, the only problem is that its harder to bring your right hand around the guitar comfortably because the guitar body is more in the way. But you can adjust the support pretty well by moving it along the side of the guitar to minimize this. I like that it's very simple, just two suction cups. You can also fold it up so its right against the guitar if you don't want to use it anymore, which is nice. The one down side is that because it is just two suctions cups holding it to the guitar, it has a tendency to come loose. It works pretty good if your guitar is in good condition, you use a little moisture on the suction cups, and press down firmly, but when I tried it on my mom's 45 year old guitar, it wouldn't stay stuck for more than five minutes no matter what I'd do, but on my newer (12 year old) guitar, it stays stuck fine for the most part. I think the difference is just the condition of the wood because of age, so my mom's guitar has more little micro-cracks in the wood to let air seep under the suction cups, but that's just my theory. I think it would be better than one of those cushion guitar supports because they don't seem so adjustable and I've heard that they're kind of slippery, but i've never actually used one. I don't know how mine would compare to the ergoplay tappert model. its at least cheaper. Hope that helps some.

----------

Is this the end of zombie Shakespeare?