You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

The Tune Contest

Lloyde_Sorrow

Greetings to you all! We've been getting some new members here from the cover contests/challenges and albums which is pretty nice. I wanted to bring up the Tune Contest because there have been a ton of cover albums and challenges going on and taking up the "Latest Forum Posts" space and it seems like interest in the Tune Contest has been diminishing in favor of doing covers :P That and the new people probably don't really know about the Tune Contest due to it being overshadowed :P. So, I thought I'd take this time to tell them (the new members) about it and revitalize the tune contest a bit!

The Tune Contest is a contest in which the participants compose an original piece of music to a specific theme. The theme is chosen by the host of the contest who was chosen as the winner of the previous Tune Contest. Sometimes there will be a description provided with the theme. The deadlines are usually about 2-3 weeks, although lately they have unofficially been longer. The instrumentation and other rules are also chosen by the contest host. The winner of the tune contests gets to choose the theme for the next Tune Contest, as you already know. There aren't really any prizes besides that. Don't let that discourage you though! One of these days we might have prizes. ;)

The Tune Contests are great for boosting creativity and improving one's composition skills. They are a fun way to further interact with the community and get everyone together. A bit of rivalry can be a good thing. It's also a good way to see how other people musically interpret different themes and moods. There's generally always a lot of variety in Tune Contests no matter how many people participate. Of course, the more the merrier!

Quality isn't of utmost importance, so don't worry too much about that. You can compose a good song using General MIDI or soundfonts and it'll be fine. Hell, composers of the old days did! And let us not forget about 8-bit music! That inspired the composers of old to be even more creative with their melodies! So again, quality isn't of utmost importance. That being said, don't settle for less when you know you can do more!

Also, I have an idea. Since the cover stuff has been posted to youtube and the gametabs facebook page and has been gathering new members, for past Tune Contests and future ones, let's compile all the entries for the specific contest (ex. Tune Contest No. 68 and all the entries, Tune contest No. 56 and all of the entries, etc.) and make them into a video and post it to the gametabs youtube channel and to the facebook page.

Anyway, that's that. If I missed anything or gave some inaccurate information, please feel free to chime in. Actually, chime in even if everything is accurate and nothing is missing!

P.S. There's a current Tune Contest going on (No. 68 ~ Adrift in the Bleak/Strength in Numbers) that will soon be over (~ 3-5 days?). It's not too, too late to join!

Hello, doing this topic is a

hashel

Hello, doing this topic is a great idea to let new members knows about those Tune Contests =)
Just, please, stop saying the tune contests has less entries because of all the covers activities.
I haven't seen people like you, Tiger-Child, Hslesperance, Basisti94, Avaruussaha, Soundsandstuff, Jacob31593 or IamHoustonian doing much covers lately.
I didn't entered this one cause the theme doesn't speaks to me, i have no inspiration but i'll keep on entering the tune contests each time the theme inspires me.
Plus i know there are here some REALLY talented composer and sometimes to challenge yourselves you like to make more elaborate themes with changes of moods in it or whatever. This of course can be really interesting but can scare beginners.
Maybe, for some time, try to go back to more basic themes like, town, characters, bad guys, battle, forests etc. It may help people to enter.
About a reward of course i'll talk about the winner's entry on the facebook page. About your idea, it's a good one !
But i don't really wanna take care of the gametabs youtube channel anymore, but i'll send you a MP with an idea.
Btw, here is something i did a while ago but almost nobody cared about so i stopped:
Tune contest compilation
01-10: http://www.mediafire.com/download/m3qhjmcgt59dfx3/1-10.rar
11-20: http://www.mediafire.com/download/jt4e8x8avwa4o3p/11-20.rar
21-30: http://www.mediafire.com/download/jj7otkvwebxxzys/21-30.rar
31-40: http://www.mediafire.com/download/799b24gik3ca6cu/31-40.rar
41-50: http://www.mediafire.com/download/608tcbcskhhrm9d/41-50.rar
51-60: http://www.mediafire.com/download/87mm0jg7b97n68d/51-60.rar

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

Oooh... This seems pretty

Thecoolestnerdguy

Oooh... This seems pretty interesting! I saw some replies to the tune contest thread and started wondering what was that...

Don't know if I'll be able to finish it by the deadline tho...

----------

" If every porkchop were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs! " - UNIVERSE, Greg

youtube.com/thecoolestnerdguy

I've sat down a few times and

ltdanslegs

I've sat down a few times and tried to do something for the current tune contest, but I just haven't felt any inspiration from the description.. I've been waiting to see if a new one strikes up so that I can hopefully draw some inspiration from it.

Read this later, to much text

BigHeadClan

Read this later, to much text and I gotta finish up @ work. XD

uh oh. the battle between tune contests and cover albums begins.

tiger child

not much of a battle really. more of a slaughter.

i think the concern that we had at the beginning is sort of being realized. where there are 4 or 5 cover album/competition topics running at any given time sort of overwhelming anything else going on. it's really easy for something less publicized or discussed to get lost. and that is how it has seemed. i can't recall a tune contest that went months without an entry, but somehow mysteriously that happened with the beginning of the whole cover onslaught? this is a website for tablature for video game music, and the videos posted have always been covers, but part of what drew me to the site was that the community wasn't fixated only on covers.

i actually don't mind that people are more enthusiastic about covers. that's okay. it's more glamorous or accessible than creating your own music.

and i can only speak for myself, but i'm not super big on doing covers. i think they are good tools for growth and learning about arrangements and how songs are put together, but that's just not what drives me with music. i like sitting back on a breezy summer day with my guitar and allowing my gaze to drift outside while playing some soul blazer song peacefully, sure. but that's not where i want to spend my time recording, in general. and anyway, i have done tracks for two of the albums, and said i'll do one for the FFVIII one - even in spite of how much i didn't want it to be a FFVIII album! ;) but when there are so many topics that are all cover albums or competitions, it can feel a bit alienating for some of us.

i know composing can be daunting, but i would love to see more encouragement of people doing covers to try writing their own music. everyone is super-welcome to join. my first entries were rushed and (while some contained cool ideas or moments) they were mostly terrible, and i'd honestly never used vsts or soundfonts or anything at the time. i'd only ever played real instruments. so it's a matter of excuses to push yourself and grow as a musician/composer. learn new skills or put concepts or ideas you have fluttering around inside of you to the test. and of course, any form of musicianship is allowed generally. the more variety the better the results. not to mention, growing as a composer can also help you see pieces of music you want to cover differently and find new wonderful ways to interpret those melodies to really make them your own.

as to the matter of not being inspired by a particular theme. i think that's part of what makes the contest great practice. as a composer, you can't pick and choose the tracks on a soundtrack you want to do or not. i dont think it matters if it's vague or incredibly detailed in a description. i mean, i won the "Spring" theme and i had zero inspiration for that and definitely wasn't feeling it. when i choose a theme, i try to paint a picture of a specific moment or scene, because that's what you'd be looking at and told "this moment needs music". and i think that's a wonderful challenge. but then when someone else just wants a one word theme, that's okay, too. just like the entries will all be varied and indicative of the person creating it, so will the themes.

in the end it's just about what we all are interested in. and some of us don't care so much about covers just as some of us have no desire whatsoever to create our own melodies. i just want a way for both to have equal footing somehow, and for both to be enjoyed and participated in. obviously covers are the colossi that always can and will usurp the majority's attention - people itching to play their favorite songs or people wanting to listen to something familiar - but it would be great to not have the other interests get swallowed up in that shadow. which, in a small way, having 5 running cover album topics constantly being updated on the front page, kind of does exactly that (sort of how no one liked it when someone would post 5 videos all at once, knocking everyone else's off the front page). i'd like to think there is some way to reign it all in a bit.

and please anyone considering trying your hand at the tune contest, just say you want in. lloyd's desire for a deadline is totally reasonable, but as people seem to finally be making some songs, there's no rush to end it yet if we can get a few more participants. ~i have to say it makes me a little confused as people swarm to do final fantasy covers - a series swamped with airships - but no one is inspired by a theme about a group of adventurers on an airship. ah well.

so in summation, after you're done wandering around a desirable popular locale, eating your magic cake and expertly tanning the palms of your hands, and pondering the meaning of life while sipping on overpriced water looking at a rock on stage - head over the the ship captain and take a journey across the sea. if you survive the battle and your stomach survives the tumbling waters, come to the market where people sell their handcrafted knick-knacks. you might just find a piggy nose, then it's truffles 4 life. maybe.

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

my gosh that's a long post.

tiger child

my gosh that's a long post.

----------

-brick road

I remember contests which

hashel

I remember contests which were cancelled because of no entry at all.
You can publish on the contest topic to remember people to participate.
If people like you, Lloyde_Sorrow, Hslesperance, Basisti94, Avaruussaha, Soundsandstuff, Jacob31593 or IamHoustonian do not enter to the tune contest, it has nothing to do with cover stuffs cause they do no or just really few covers.
I know you like to make people work on their creativity but sometimes it feels like "too much", keep things simple to grab new people, then make things more complex.
I know you are a really poetic man, but called your contest "Airship Theme" would have bring you more people xD

----------

Also gametabs server problems

hashel

Also gametabs server problems do not help to get more people involved in the community's life.

----------

i wouldn't call my contest

tiger child

i wouldn't call my contest "airship theme" because it isn't technically an airship theme. it would be music that plays specifically one time for a moment in the game, instead of the standard airship theme. and i've done detailed themes that had plenty of entrants.

anyway, i didn't want anything to sound combative - i wanted it to be hopeful and encouraging. i think lloyd was just wanting to rally people to participate and remind people that it's a thing and it's a cool thing, no less. while also voicing some concerns about the focus of the community. the tune contest is the only forum competition still standing of all the old ones, it seems. it would be a shame for it to go under. finding a balance for the community and trying to sow the seeds of imagination and melodic inspiration! there are lots of talented people participating in things on this site, we just want them to know there are other paths they can take, because this dungeon has multiple bosses...i mean, hidden chests!

----------

-brick road

Hah an interesting

BigHeadClan

Hah an interesting discussion, both you have valid points and it really comes down to the individuals preference. Maybe we should poke a mod to create Article/New's section for Albums and Tune contests to help prevent them from being buried in all the other happenings.

I personally forgot that the tune contest was going on until a few days back, so I can see where Tiger is coming from in that regard.

I'll have to remember to poke you to post reminders like that on the facebook page Hashel :D
We can also add tune contest winners to the Youtube page and such to help add a sense of achievement.

What do you gents think?

I use to make a little post

hashel

I use to make a little post on the FB page about the tune contests, but i checked and i did it the last time to show the entries of the spring one, so yeah haven't talked about this one, sorry :X
About the youtube channel i sent a PM to Lloyde explaining that i'm not taking care of it but i can give access to him or to anybody who is motivated to work on it =)
And yeah a little video compilation of the entries is a good idea !
I've PM Ash about doing a section for albums but he never replied, but yeah a "events & contests" section would be great !

----------

Hmm it shouldn't be to

BigHeadClan

Hmm it shouldn't be to difficult to add such a section, but Ash is pretty tricky to get a hold of and I suspect hes planning to push some updates to the site soon just a gut feeling on my part though.

PM me the Youtube info though Hashel, I don't mind taking care of the Tune-contest bit and uploading videos that have been posted in my spare time.

I think it all just comes

Thecoolestnerdguy

I think it all just comes down to the fact that composing takes a lot more effort than making a cover in general, especially if you're not used to it.
In the time it takes you to compose one song, you could have made, like, three covers.

----------

Hum not sure it's really a

hashel

Hum not sure it's really a question of time, it's more a question of inspiration.
I haven't spend much time to make my favorite original songs but a but which no inspires you can take weeks.

----------

Boku wa Kuma

Lloyde_Sorrow

I must say that my thinking is on the line with Tiger Child's. That being said, my intention wasn't/isn't to rile anyone up. Well, it is but only in regards to getting them excited and informed about the Tune Contests!

Thecoolestnerdguy (what can I call you for short haha xD) and ltdanslegs, if you two are interested, you can still try to submit something. The contest doesn't have to end in 3-5 days like I was assuming. It's great that you two have taken an interest and the more people that enter, the merrier! Besides that, Tiger Child will be the one who decides when it will end, not I. I got a little anxious :3 I'm really looking forward to what you guys come up with if you decide to enter!

Hmmm... yup. I think I'll leave it at that. :)

well it's unavoidable that

tiger child

well it's unavoidable that some feathers are going to get a little ruffled in talking about things like this. the important thing is that none of it is personal. we just want all aspects of this site to grow and flourish.

and with the tune contest, i'm rarely ever *inspired* especially. i use it as an exercise to write and record something regardless of how i feel.

this site is dedicated to video game music, which is not simply nostalgia or in the past, there is also a future. a future with hopefully new iconic songs and heartrending melodies. a few people here want to, and actually might end up making music that kids make tabs of and post here someday. i think encouraging that side of the site - and originality in general - is just incredibly important.

----------

-brick road

Awesome! I'll try to do

Thecoolestnerdguy

Awesome! I'll try to do something on Sunday.

Yeah, there isn't a single factor to blame, really. But I think we can all agree that composing is generally harder than doing covers. And, yeah, I agree with Tiger. It would be really awesome if we could involve even a small part of all the talented people on this community with VGM composition.

Oh, BTW, people on other online forums call me TCNG, but I'm also fine with Josh or Josué (my actual name).

----------

ello ello ello

sharprainmusic

I originally started my musicianship by creating original music, which I tried to package as Video game music. Being inspired by the great VGM of old, all I wanted to do was to write my own themes etc...However finding an audience or indeed anyone that would be interested was increasingly hard, so I hit the covers to pay homage and it has worked for me.

I am a firm believer in original music because it does push yourself to new territories and can really bring out the best in people, but I also see the opposite that it can become stale when feedback is not received or it is going nowhere.

I will happily offer my services to help with the Tune contests (or indeed it the name needs an overhaul) not to pick sides or draw lines but because variety will make this site better. At the end of the day we all love music and love creating music, lets just keep doing that, cover or not!

If we get entries I would happily post the free download Bandcamp download album, so it has that option also.

Viva La Creativity!

Also an idea (came when I was

sharprainmusic

Also an idea (came when I was writing the previous statement!) Maybe we could have a contest where we could ask people to re-imagine famous VGM Themes? (combining both worlds)

For example, If you had the chance to compose the music for Sonic the hedgehog, how would you do it? or what would it sound like?

Been away for over a month I

Avaruussaha

Been away for over a month I think, moved to another country, and have had lots of problems with my computer before and during the process. And my poor guitar... I finally got some money so I can fix it.

But ignoring the recent problems with equipment, my biggest problem with tune contests has been the self conjured stress/worry about *having* to take part each and every time just to keep the amount of submissions up. I kinda went from zero to 100% since I began, what, a year and half ago? I really want to keep the TC alive, and still enjoy them.

That being said, I'm working on getting my stuff together, it is really frustrating to work with broken/bad equipment (after being used to smooth rolling), but hopefully that will be in the past soon.

I also have no clue what 'video game music' means anymore, if that wasn't already obvious from most of my submissions 8)))))

Well glad to have you back

BigHeadClan

Well glad to have you back Avaruu and to be fair what is defined a videogame music has kind of gotten vague, the days of old with bleeps and bloops are gone and now we have fully orchestrated tracks. lol

Re: Been away for over a month I

tiger child

agh. i feel you on the guitar. two of my guitars did not survive the last 2 years with any sort of grace. i just had to basically rebuild one of my classical guitars. and my martin is not at a year of unplayable-ness because the shifts in temperature/moisture where i lived caused the soundboard to crack.

and video game music is a strange topic now. but that's a massive conversation for another time.

regardless, i'm glad you're at least in one piece and safe. just participate when you feel like you're able to do so. no pressure at all.

----------

-brick road

I work tomorrow, but I'll

ltdanslegs

I work tomorrow, but I'll come up with something before the weekend is up. I'll just buckle down.