You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Classical Guitar x Electric Guitar

Brave Toaster

Hey, people. Everything alright?

Actually, I came up with this doubt a long time ago, but never really gave it much attention...

I have a Classical Guitar. It is a classical-nylon-spanish-classical-ish Di Giorgio, from 1985. A little old, very scrached, but it has a beautiful song and it feels great to play it.

I also have an Electric Guitar. It's also pretty old, I think it has 15 or 20 years. It has some sound defects it got from a bad luthier, but it is still a warrior.

And here's the question! Is it actually possible to play both of these instruments properly? Altough they have the same roots, they are very, very different.

I have always been more of a classical fan. I like the classical guitar's humbleness, it's simple yet beautiful sound, and the feel of the thick strigs. But reccently I've gotten myself that USB thing that comes along with the Guitar Rig program (This thing), and playing the electric guitar with that powerful sound has turned out to be a lot of fun, and I'm thinking of spending a little more time on it.

Is it ok for the classical guitar playing? I'm afraid that the tecniques maybe get a Tick-wick, or developing one-sided tecniques.
Anyone here plays both of them? Feel free to give your opinion, I would be happy to hear.

personally I just play

StrangeJam

Da Manliness

personally I just play Electric, but a lot of my friends play both and they're very skilled at both.

Don't expect skills to translate from one instrument to the other, but also don't worry about losing skills with one due to getting better with the other.

You can adapt classical style

BooDoo

People

You can adapt classical style finger (right-hand) technique to electric guitar- this generally works better with single-coil pickups (Stratocaster, Telecaster) in my experience.

Many great electric players also use 'hybrid-picking' (pick in thumb+index, use ring+middle for treble notes) to do runs and accompaniments that are beyond what a typical flat-pick technique could do comfortably. Another great way to combine both.

That said, they are played differently and skills on one do not directly translate to the other.

I love guitar effects (mostly analog pedals, but software like GuitarRig is good too!) and have recently started running an effects loop on my classical (recorded by condenser mics.) Don't let tradition limit your fun- throw some flange, delay or even overdrive on your classical style and see how it sounds!

Re: Classical Guitar x Electric Guitar

SalemJeanette

Save Your Tears.

I play both of them properly or at least thats what i like to think :), but if you're starting go to the classical side, you will improve 10 times faster than playing a electric.

----------

23:33 Vic9mm said: its ture ida benn gone she took out like 3 kids before had what was that fat ass asian kid gonna do

Little J.

People here don't seem

Brave Toaster

People here don't seem Electric-phobic as I thought they would be.

I'm happy to know that there's no problem. I've been playing the classical for about 8 months know, I think... And never really payed much attention to the electric. But I think it would be of great training help to manage to pull of fast solos, build speed and stuff. I think the classical guitar is the best when it comes to building resistence and stronghening the fingers, but people who play electric guitar are much faster, for what I have seen.

Re: People here don't seem

SalemJeanette

Save Your Tears.

faster than this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgIC6KOFySk

----------

23:33 Vic9mm said: its ture ida benn gone she took out like 3 kids before had what was that fat ass asian kid gonna do

Little J.

From the 'related videos',

BooDoo

People

From the 'related videos', Salem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BynUZOJc8QI (Flight of the Bumblebee up to 320BPM)

vvvv Auri has no love for the blind.

That electric guy's playing

auriplane

That electric guy's playing is WAY cleaner than the other guy's. Though it only sounds good up to 230, at 260 it sounds like crap.

----------

Auriplane!!

Electric and Acoustic can be

StrangeJam

Da Manliness

Electric and Acoustic can be equally fast.
Just listen to Al dimeola and Paco de Lucia for acoustic, or Angelo batio and Yngwie malmsteen for electric.
having said that never go into the world of playing fast for the sake of playing fast, do it when it actually adds to the song imo, shred done right is beautiful, shred done for the sake shredding sounds out of place :/

OUCH. I was totally crushed

Brave Toaster

OUCH. I was totally crushed by these videos. I shoudn't have generalized it that way. And since we are in the mood, I am going to collaborate with a video of a guy who can mix speed with virtuousity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU59ueizlKM <

And, sir StrangeJam, you are totally right. I never intended to improve speed just because of FAST LOL DRAGONFORCE. In my opinion, velocity is a consequence of your control of the flow of the music. Just happens to be when you practice a lot.

(Psst. Velocity has a

auriplane

(Psst. Velocity has a different meaning in music :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

I was just testing you guys,

Brave Toaster

I was just testing you guys, you know.