You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Fingerpicking

Ranulf

I will not join your gametabs.

Is there any sort of exercise or advice someone can give me because i want to be able to play fingerstyle

Re: Fingerpicking

DeathEvil

just try different picking patterns wile changing the chords; there is nothing else to it.

What trouble are you having

BooDoo

People

What trouble are you having now?

Do you have any recordings of you trying to play fingerstyle?

The answer is practice, but if we know what troubles you're having we might be able to offer more useful advice.

Re: What trouble are you having

Ranulf

I just don't know if there's a certain way to do it or if you just develop your own way or what

I don't have any fingerstyle recordings

Most fingerstyle (classical)

BooDoo

People

Most fingerstyle (classical) players will use their thumb for the bottom 3 strings (EAD) and use index on the G, middle on the B and ring on the high E.

Practicing this way enables you to use each finger independently and clearly play multiple voices at once.

I'm a very lazy/not technical player, so I don't adhere to that rule very strictly. You can definitely develop your own style, but it will have limitations.

Salem's recent recordings are a great angle to observe how his fingers are used. Check this Xenogears one he put up earlier this week and watch his hand.

He 'floats' his hand above the strings, whereas I usually anchor on my pinky or thumb. Floating is generally the better technique, but it also requires more work/practice.

If you are having any particular difficulties, make a post and we'll all try to help you out!

Also

Ranulf

Can anyone suggest the simplest fingerstyle tab on here so i can practice it

Re: Also

SalemJeanette

Save Your Tears.

It not the most simple tab but my first fingerstyle piece was Ode to joy.

http://www.guitaretab.com/b/beethoven-ludwig/1380.html.

another good and easy song is stairway to heaven.

----------

23:33 Vic9mm said: its ture ida benn gone she took out like 3 kids before had what was that fat ass asian kid gonna do

Little J.

Some FF songs, classical studies

BooDoo

People

The first one I learned was Ronito's "Theme of Love" from FF IV.

Kabuki's "Descendant of Shinobi" from FF VII is a popular beginner piece, too; though doing the second part (with triplets) takes a little practice.

His Kids Run Through the City Corner from FF VI is pretty simple, too.

I've got a few beginner classical studies tabbed in GP5- see here, here and here. I plan to transcribe more of these from this book in the coming weeks.

this is the first fingerstyle

Kain

What is... Gee-taar?

this is the first fingerstyle piece I ever learned. Good for getting familiar with hitting multiple strings at once.
http://www.gametabs.net/super-nintendo/final-fantasy-iv/into-the-darknes...
this isn't as easy, though it isn't hard, and is good to learn with.
http://www.gametabs.net/gamecube/animal-crossing/title-theme
this isn't a fingerstyle piece, but play it as if it was and it will help your finger dexterity. If you want to, put your guitar in drop d and play the e and a strings as a Chord with the first note of every measure with your thumb. This replaces the open on the d string.
http://www.gametabs.net/playstation/final-fantasy-7/the-nightmares-begin...

----------

One word: Thundercougarfalconbird

Okay i guess my main problem

Ranulf

Okay i guess my main problem is picking speed because its hard for me to use my fingers and i was just wondering if there was anything you can do to fix that or if it's just practice practice practice...

to fix technique practice is

SalemJeanette

Save Your Tears.

to fix technique practice is required.

----------

23:33 Vic9mm said: its ture ida benn gone she took out like 3 kids before had what was that fat ass asian kid gonna do

Little J.

Re: to fix technique practice is

Ranulf

yeah that's what i expected oh well thx anyways

The nightmare's beginning was

Kain

What is... Gee-taar?

The nightmare's beginning was my speed training, I just played it as quickly as possible, ignoring the open on d and just playing the top three strings. I also played the beginning of trangoul's decisive battle, but with the bass notes.
http://www.gametabs.net/super-nintendo/final-fantasy-vi/the-decisive-battle

----------

Practice, that's all there is

pokemaughan

Jack-of-all-Trades

Practice, that's all there is to it.

Re: Practice, that's all there is

auriplane

Unless you practice wrong, in which case you won't get any better and you may get bad habits that take a while to un-learn.

Make sure you're using the right technique before you practice anything, and then practice slowly and deliberately, without distractions. Find a good teacher or do some research, if you aren't confident. Don't practice faster than you can play cleanly--slow down if you can't play it well. And, as always, make sure you're constantly looking for flaws in your technique.

The reason for all of this is, if you play something fast and sloppy, or with poor technique, your body learns that sloppy or poor technique, and you repeat it. You lock in that crappiness. You don't want that. You want your muscle memory to work FOR you, not AGAINST you, so practice it slowly and cleanly, with proper technique, and be patient. Later, you'll find you're able to speed up and rely on the muscle memory you got from practicing slowly.

So don't "just practice" or "play as fast as possible"! Do it right.

----------

Auriplane!!

I didn't mean start off

Kain

What is... Gee-taar?

I didn't mean start off playing as fast as possible at once, I meant I used them to build up speed gradually, ending up with my speed being very fast.

----------

So here's a vid of me

Ranulf

So here's a vid of me fingerpicking and if you don't mind i would like you to tell me if i'm doing it wrong or if there's a way for me to improve, but keep in mind i just started fingerstyle maybe a week ago and i haven't learned this whole tab yet. But if you can't see the video that well then nevermind.

cant watch the video, it says

SalemJeanette

Save Your Tears.

cant watch the video, it says it's private

----------

Little J.

Re: cant watch the video, it says

Ranulf

my bad check it again

i'm pretty sure you can watch it now

You're picking from the joint

auriplane

You're picking from the joint after the knuckle. That's weak. The motion needs to come from the knuckle, or in other words, the whole finger. Your arm is not in the right position to do this; it needs to be higher up so the hand naturally rests at an angle which gives you the right curve to use your whole finger strength. It can't rest flat on the guitar for fingerstyle, even though that's okay for a pick.

Practice using your thumb on the bottom three strings, and keep it in position to play even when you're not using it. Relax. You're tensed up.

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: You're picking from the joint

Ranulf

do you mean my arm needs to hover above the guitar

Not "floating", but it needs

auriplane

Not "floating", but it needs to rest at a different angle, so it's touching at the edge, but not laying flat across the guitar. The hand falls gently down toward the strings. It should be a relaxed position.

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: Not "floating", but it needs

Ranulf

thx alot

Watch this, if you like. She

auriplane

Watch this, if you like. She explains it better than me, and of course, is much better than me. :-)

(And watch parts 2 & 3 & 4 if you're up for it.)

----------

Auriplane!!

I'll try to put a video that

SalemJeanette

Save Your Tears.

I'll try to put a video that shows how my picking hand works in that angle boodoo mentioned.

----------

Little J.

Re: Watch this, if you like. She

xuwawa

god of empty NES

thank you for that video, auri.
even though i play bass and not guit, i went from bored and looking at random threads to knowing why my index finger bothers me on my right hand.
why not the others too, you may wonder? 2 words, mouse wheel - i always do it by curling up that finger and drawing back with it. now i know that ain't good for either.

not to mention the other things i learned from that video, like the fact that i need to quit practicing in my recliner... at least i haven't been at it for long...

now i have a new playing method AND mousing method to practice.
now that's what i call an overload!
er, if it's a tiny wheelbarrow...

----------

Re: Watch this, if you like. She

auriplane

Oh yeah, I mainly play bass myself, and I find a great deal of that applies to bass too :-) I keep thinking I should have learned this stuff sooner.

Funny thing: the worst thing I do to my hands is play video games. I just tense up way too much!

----------

Auriplane!!

thx for the video it gave a

Ranulf

thx for the video it gave a better look at the right position

Check it

Ranulf

Alright i think i have the position right, but i've been having trouble using my ring finger to play i guess its not strong enough yet

It still looks like you're

auriplane

It still looks like you're plucking from joint past the knuckle, and not the knuckle. The hand should be hanging down over the strings, so the knuckle of the plucking finger is (roughly) over the string it plays.

Relax. Your pinky and thumb are tensed up. I can't tell from looking about the other fingers, but usually things tense up together.

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: It still looks like you're

Ranulf

i moved my arm higher up and i'm not relaxing on the guitar anymore although you probably cant tell from that angle

but i can't pluck with my full finger i dont know why

To pluck with your full

auriplane

To pluck with your full finger, you need the right position / angle.

----------

Auriplane!!

SalemJeanette

Save Your Tears.

----------

Little J.

BooDoo

People

For some reason that YouTube embed isn't showing up in your post.

The link is here, Ranulf.

Try to put your wrist

Nezon

immoralmelody

Try to put your wrist perpendicular to the strings. And as stated before, use your whole finger rather than just the part after the knuckle. Umm, i think that's pretty good for 1 week, try practicing alternative picking, eg, don't use the same finger twice. It's a good habit, but for some guitarist it can be difficult. I occasionally do it at times.

I'm a not a professional guitarist, but that are the tips that were given to me a long time ago :)

Good luck !

lear mr. sandman by chet

vikingskater

lear mr. sandman by chet atkins and it will give you all the knowledge of finger picking you will ever need.