You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest #66 - Dreams

hslesperance

The theme is Dreams. I like to make themes that can fit plenty of different moods. There are a few different directions you can go with this one, so be creative and interpret it however you want. The song should be about night/sleeping dreams, not aspiration dreams.

Original song for this contest
At least one minute
Any style or instruments

Due February 20

Entry

Lloyde_Sorrow

Alright, here we go: Lloyde Sorrow - Dreamer. I decided to do something different than what I usually do :). I've actually got another song in the works based on this contest and will probably end up making 1 or 2 more xD. I finished this song faster than I expected and figured I'd make some others for the hell of it xD.

Do you mean dreams as in

Basisti94

Do you mean dreams as in dreams that you dream at night or as in things you want to do in future for example?
Anyway, I'll probably try to take part if I can muster enough time.

i'll do something soon, i

tiger child

i'll do something soon, i imagine. no idea yet.

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

Re: Do you mean dreams as in

hslesperance

Basisti94 said

Do you mean dreams as in dreams that you dream at night or as in things you want to do in future for example?

At first I was thinking either would work to allow for more flexibility with the idea, but I guess that would lead to two completely different sets of song styles. Let's just go with night dreams, rather than aspirations.

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

Change!

Lloyde_Sorrow

Well, that most certainly changes things.

Yes, sorry! Was the first

hslesperance

Yes, sorry! Was the first song you made for night dreaming?

----------

Re: Do you mean dreams as in

Basisti94

What about daydreaming? That's kinda like a dream you see during a night, except that you are sleeping during the day. This is complicated :P

Re: Yes, sorry! Was the first

Lloyde_Sorrow

It's more of a dream level. I guess the level could be an actual dream.

the thing about dreams is

tiger child

the thing about dreams is that you can literally dream about anything. so couldn't theoretically your night dream be about your aspirations?

----------

-brick road

You guys might be

hslesperance

You guys might be overthinking this, or am I underthinking it? XD

Daydreaming would be fantasies you imagine while awake, but the song should be about a person sleeping, having either pleasant dreams or nightmares.

----------

Back To The...

Lloyde_Sorrow

Back to the drawing board!

Re: Back To The...

tiger child

cheat!

----------

-brick road

Preposterous!

Lloyde_Sorrow

*gasp* I would NEVER! haha I honestly don't know whether to stick with the song I already submitted or go for something else. My mind isn't function that well right now xD

Edit: Gonna stick with the song I submitted first!

Learning to play what I came

Avaruussaha

Learning to play what I came up with, just a matter of time! Maybe lots of it, I've been too lazy and my picking is sloppier than ever...

I might have trouble tracking

Avaruussaha

I might have trouble tracking my thing before next monday. Hows everyone else?

I'm working on a track but

Basisti94

I'm working on a track but I'm missing an ending for it and I've been fairly busy lately so I don't think I can finish it and get a fairly acceptable sound from cheap MIDI stuff until after the weekend.

i started a track ages ago

tiger child

i started a track ages ago and havent looked at it since. i'll try to finish it up.

----------

-brick road

okay.

tiger child

i had an entire second section to this song that may never see the light of day because my midi controller apparently is broken. anyway, whatever the case, here is the my entry for this competition.

Children Dream in the Forest

----------

-brick road

We can extend the deadline to

hslesperance

We can extend the deadline to Monday if you guys don't have the time. tiger, you can take a few extra days to include that second part if you feel like it.

As usual I came up with the first measure a couple weeks ago and waited till the last day to seriously start writing. But as the host, I guess it doesn't matter if mine is finished, heh

----------

Re: We can extend the deadline to

tiger child

oh it wont happen. midi controller definitely broken. so finishing would be exceptionally unlikely, deadline or no deadline. unless magically i could afford a new one.

and regardless whether yours "counts" or not, i'd still like to hear it.

----------

-brick road

Here's my entry. The setting

Basisti94

Here's my entry. The setting here is that it's a beautiful summer day and you fell asleep in a hammock or a field or somewhere and had a good dream.
https://soundcloud.com/miro-laaksonen/summer-day-dream

MIDI doesn't sound too good though. I recently switched from Sibelius 6 to 7 and it's pretty much worse in every possible way. The sound pack that came with it was worse too, in my opinion.

Ah, I've seen a few people

Lloyde_Sorrow

Ah, I've seen a few people say they think 7 is worse than 6. I personally like 7, but I didn't really use 6 much. I came over from Finale and a couple of months later 7 was released.

Re: Ah, I've seen a few people

Basisti94

It's mostly the UI that is bad. Mixer takes far too much space and many important features are behind different sub menus or even hidden by default in 7.

A Rest From Reality

Avaruussaha

A Rest From Reality

A bit impatient with this one, but I really had to get this done and over with before I go crazy.

nice Ava (: your song is

iamHoustonian

You don’t need to see my identification…

nice Ava (: your song is super chill. When you came in at the end with the guitar percussion, very nice. After that I really wanted to hear a repeat of the middle part with some percussion haha I literally played the middle part over and played drums on my legs haha great job dude :-)

Yup... :P

Lloyde_Sorrow

Supposed to be an image of some tumbleweed, but it's not showing up... :P

soooo can we kill this topic

tiger child

soooo can we kill this topic yet??

----------

-brick road

Sorry for the late reply.

hslesperance

Sorry for the late reply. Haven't had time to listen since the site came back online.

Here's my tune Dreaming. Another song of mine already had a similar sound to what I wanted for this theme. I enjoyed that style and decided to reuse the same instrument setup. I think Floating does a better job with the dream atmosphere, this new track was a bit difficult to write, tried doing some 11/4 and 7/8 time.

On to the entries...

Lloyde_Sorrow - Definitely a game level, this is too hectic to sleep to! Cool bassline.

tiger child - The master storyteller at it again. Really digging the 'slightly dark folktale' setting (from my perspective) of your recent submissions.

Basisti94 - Very relaxing. Getting a bit of a Tenmon vibe.

Avaruussaha - Interesting angle. Sounds like somebody who is trying to take a break from all the problems in their life, somewhat calm but still having trouble putting all the emotional stuff out of their mind.

I guess I'll pick the winner based on which one put me to sleep (in a good way). That would definitely have to be Summer Day Dream by Basisti. Those chords at 1:27 are practically designed to put someone to sleep!

----------

woo! good job basisti!and i

tiger child

woo! good job basisti!

and i suppose there is a bit of slightly dark folktale going on there. i didn't see the topic so much as a track to put someone to sleep, so much as to accompany the happenings of a dream itself. which obviously can go so many places.

oh and ps. i like your track. it definitely fits with the floating track. and can just sort of see yourself drifting in the air, slowly spinning over the world below.

----------

-brick road

Re: woo! good job basisti!and i

hslesperance

tiger child said

i didn't see the topic so much as a track to put someone to sleep, so much as to accompany the happenings of a dream itself. which obviously can go so many places.

Yeah, that was my intent, but guess I forgot when picking the winner. Oh well, I did enjoy Basisti's the most anyway.

----------

Re: woo! good job basisti!and i

tiger child

oh definitely! his was lovely. no qualms with that. was just talking about where mine was coming :)

----------

-brick road

Thank you hslesperance! That

Basisti94

Thank you hslesperance! That was a surprise. I was sure I was going to lose this one as other entries were really really good. Especially yours tiger child, I really liked that one!
I guess I'm not too surprised about possible Tenmon vibes. I am quite a huge fan of his :P

I'll try to come up with the theme for the next contest by the end of this week.