You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Quick question for classical guitarists

Orusaka

So, I'm not clasically trained, but I've been arranging some tunes for classical guitar and or acoustic as of late, and I had some problems making a paticularly hard stretch I wrote in, however, it might just be me whos not very good and/or trained properly on a classical guitar. How difficult would you say doing an F-barre, first fret, with your pinky extended to the first string, fifth fret? Maybe it's just me, but I have problems getting a clear note out of the B-string, but maybe it's just me. I have worked out a simpler solution that sounds almost as good, but I reckon I'd better check before I toss out the better sounding option in case I'm the only one who has problems doing that.

Re: Quick question for classical guitarists

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

Orusaka said

So, I'm not clasically trained, but I've been arranging some tunes for classical guitar and or acoustic as of late, and I had some problems making a paticularly hard stretch I wrote in, however, it might just be me whos not very good and/or trained properly on a classical guitar. How difficult would you say doing an F-barre, first fret, with your pinky extended to the first string, fifth fret? Maybe it's just me, but I have problems getting a clear note out of the B-string, but maybe it's just me. I have worked out a simpler solution that sounds almost as good, but I reckon I'd better check before I toss out the better sounding option in case I'm the only one who has problems doing that.

its not too too bad for me to handle but I got some big hands would be little more easy on a steel string guitar because the frets are a little bit closer but you would need some strong fingers. I say leave it. Photobucket

----------

Watch me: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vic9mm

Orusaka

edit: scratch what I originally said, that was moronic, and me not thinking at all. Yes, I think I will go with my alternative, probably.

Bossman

I've also encountered this very same problem, and came up short of an answer.

----------

-Bossman

auriplane

I don't think the frets are actually closer, just the strings are closer. My steel string has the same scale as a classical.

----------

Auriplane!!

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

Scale maybe but what about number of frets? My classical only goes up to 19 frets.

surreal

Eric: tank,godlike

Classicals usually only go up to about 20 at the most.

Steels can be anywhere from 20 to 22 frets. Some custom ones even to 24.

auriplane

Number of frets is irrelevant to fret spacing.

----------

Auriplane!!

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

true, but the wider necks make barring and a combination of barring and stretches more demanding.

It's not just you. There are

musenji

It's not just you. There are actually smaller scale guitars made for people with smaller hands. "Normal" classicals have 65cm string lengths, but 64's and 63's are floating around.

You definitely want to work up to chords such as the one you describe, SLOWLY. However, as has been demonstrated, what you describe is not an unreasonable classical position, assuming you build up to it abilitywise, and it doesn't last for a terribly long time (some difficult stretches are fine when only lasting a couple seconds).

Classical music has some incredibly wicked action.

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.