You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest Nr. 63: Halloween Dance

Lloyde_Sorrow

Alright, here it is folks! The next tune contest! The theme is...

HALLOWEEN DANCE!

I know, not very original. But I figured since we didn't do a Halloween Themed Tune Contest last year around this time (correct me if I am wrong), we could do one this year. Besides that, holiday themed contests (if you consider Halloween a holiday...) aren't too bad.

Let me go in depth a bit more about the theme. Instead of having it be just a plain old Halloween theme, which could go in a lot of different places, I decided to have it be a Halloween dance theme. There's still room for deviation, but not that much. Or is there?
Imagine the hero/es are in town for the Halloween festivities and there is a sort of Halloween Ball...dance-thingy. It's a great time for our hero/es to relax and unwind. They mingle about with the other townsfolk laughing and enjoying good scares... and stuff like that :P. Nothing could possibly go wrong on this day, right? 'Specially not while everyone is enjoying themselves! I don't expect the piece to be too dark and despairing, but it can be if that's whatcha want. I'll just say I'm looking for something fun :D. Of course, I'm always happy to find something interesting and unexpected ;).

I've been listening to the music from Disgaea lately...

Anyway, the requirements!

Length: 1 min. or longer (before the loop occurs)
Instrumentation: Any!
Form/Structure: That's up to you!

Due Date: 10/31/2014

Hmm.... I want some Pumpkin Pie :D

Interesting theme. Not sure

hslesperance

Interesting theme. Not sure how to pull off that style, but maybe something will work out.

I'll listen to these for inspiration. Sludge Mansion Witch's Brew

I know I've posted these guys a few times before on the site, but I can't help it, their first album has such awesome chiptunes!

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

Cool, I didn't get to

Avaruussaha

Cool, I didn't get to participate in the previous dance one... er, well, I kinda did anyway, but still, bring out the harpsichords!

Last festival theme was in

BigHeadClan

Last festival theme was in January, bring on the party!

Or is what I would like to say but don't know how busy this month will be for me XD

i'll definitely be in if i

tiger child

i'll definitely be in if i can be stationary long enough to write. it sounds like fun.

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

A Village of Secrets

tiger child

i guess i went a little bit of a different direction on this one. but i decided to record today and this is what came of it. instead of the ball itself, i did a theme for the town you enter hosting the ball. while the activity is rousing and jubilant, the somber music tells a different story. i'll go ahead and post what i described on the track.

Your party enters the village. It is a perpetual dusk. A dreaminess floats around you. Children run by and try to scare each other. There is a costumed dance somewhere in the distance. It is out of earshot still, but you can taste it in the frozen twilit air. The celebration is a bittery-sweet thing. You smile, assuring your companions they are safe, but something feels rotten. There is something in secret hiding from you here - or perhaps waiting.

A Village of Secrets

----------

-brick road

Nice atmosphere and set up

iamHoustonian

You don’t need to see my identification…

Nice atmosphere and set up for your piece, tiger child.
I can picture Jack Skellington waltzing around his tower with his dog Zero flying around, to this song haha :-D

I've got something that I

natenmn

I haven't had a chance to trim my hedges recently. Thanks for visiting anyway...

I've got something that I originally started creating for this contest, but it kind of turned into something else. I'll post it anyways because it still does sound Halloweeny sort of.

However, it's also doubling as a school project. If I can get it finished before the contest is over, I'd rather use that audio file, since it'll be much higher quality. If I can't finish by the 31st, I'll just post what I have.

Hopefully have something

BigHeadClan

Hopefully have something worked out tonight, groceries and Passport documentation can wait :P

Also awesome job Tiger. Really enjoyed 1:23

Hmmm got called into work

BigHeadClan

Hmmm got called into work just as I got into the writing grove, got back and was still in it and got a solid opening idea down..... and then I realize it's a Sasuke's theme from Naruto shippuden XD

Edit:

About 60% done my submission, should have it finished up tomorrow before end of the night.

tiger, brilliant atmosphere

hslesperance

tiger, brilliant atmosphere and storytelling through music.

Waited till the last day to start working again, but finished before the deadline this time!

Graveyard Masquerade

Wanted to use a theramin, the bowed glass is close enough.

----------

Re: tiger, brilliant atmosphere

tiger child

thanks! that's really awesome of you to say.

i like your entry! the feeling is great. the bowed glass works well, although yeah a theremin would have been poppin. i can see some ghastly dancing going on.

----------

-brick road

Hmm..

BigHeadClan

Well I didn't read the original post to closely and was doing a metal entry for the last 3 days XD
So this is all I managed to slapped together in the last hour. lol

Nice submission hslesperance, pretty much matched the theme exactly as described.

A Halloweens Balad

I really like all of the

natenmn

I haven't had a chance to trim my hedges recently. Thanks for visiting anyway...

I really like all of the submissions in here. They all capture that Halloween vibe really well.

Hope it's not too late, but mine is entitled "Faun" because it makes me think of those prankster fauns (similar to satyrs for those not familiar). It's more like a character piece. Faun's aren't really Halloween monsters, but I think it kind of fits still. Unfortunately, it's just the piano part, as I was unable to complete it fully.

Faun

Results Soon to Come!!

Lloyde_Sorrow

I'll post the results later on tonight just in case we get a couple more submissions!

Results

Lloyde_Sorrow

I'm a bit late, so please forgive me!

Results
=============
tiger_child's A Village of Secrets: Your description fits the track perfectly. A very lovely piece you've composed. I definitely love when the dark part comes in around 30s. It's a pleasant surprise! And that electric guitar is badass! The overall tone of the piece is just beautiful, I'd say!

hslesperance's Graveyard Masquerade: Ah, this is nice. Dancing out under the full lit moon... in the graveyard! Really has that fun Halloween Dance feel to it!

BigHeadClan's A Halloween Ballad: Glad to see a submission from you! Your piece has a dark and chilling sound to it, like a haunted place or something of that sort. I'm curious as to what your metal entry sounds like... maybe we'll hear it in a future contest! Gotta read thoroughly next time :P

natenmn's Faun: Very nice piece here, natenmn. Some parts remind me of "Jinn, the Fire" from Final Fantasy III.
On a side note, I watched Pan's Labyrinth a few months ago and when I think of Fauns now, I think of the Faun from that movie. Dude looks creepy as hell. And he seemed kind of evil haha.

As usual judging is tough. They are nice pieces but we can't just choose what sounds nice. We must also keep the theme of the contest in mind and choose a winner based on that! Who comes closest or nails the theme on the head? I'm stuck on deciding between hsl and nate. As I sit here typing this, I am still having trouble deciding xD. Let's have another listen. [some minutes later...] Alright, I've got my head together. Oh, and a winner as well. The winner of Gametab.net's Tune Contest Nr. 63 is... [drum roll]... hslesperance! A job well done! Alright folks, release all that tension from your butt! And breath in... now out. Relax. Relax. Relax. There you go. :) Great job everyone!

excellent! hslesperance's

tiger child

excellent! hslesperance's track was very fitting and great. harpsichord and bowed glass, a ghastly combination.

----------

-brick road

Congratulations, Hsl! You

natenmn

Congratulations, Hsl! You were able to capture that Halloween spirit very well!

Thanks! I thought

hslesperance

Thanks! I thought tiger_child's was better, but suppose it wasn't dancey enough to fit the theme. And I also would like to hear that metal song BigHeadClan if you finish it; feel free to bump this thread with it.

Now to think of a new theme...

----------

Re: Thanks! I thought

tiger child

thank you! mine was anti-dancey so i pretty much blew it. and seconded on that BigHeadClan track. look forward to new theme contest.

----------

-brick road

Heh I'll try and put the

BigHeadClan

Heh I'll try and put the finishing touches on it this week, have lots going on but I think I can manage.