You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

UPDATED Tune Contest 62 ~Returning Home~

tiger child

The enemy is defeated. The world is saved (for now). The journey is over (almost). All that is left is for you and your adventuring companions is to return home. Saying goodbye to your travels. The good times and the very very trying. All the strange equipment you found, the trinkets and the weapons you constructed. What will you do with those? Hang them on the wall? Put them in a chest for the next adventure? That's much too far ahead. First return your friends to their villages, or towns, cities or seas. Their families wait anxiously, as the feeling of dread has lifted from the world, the heaviness in their heart has not. Did their child survive to see it through? Are they a hero?

It's time to return home.

This is not an ending theme. It is music that plays between beating the boss and the credits. Where you tie up your last loose ends. Look the final times on your friends who have experienced so much with you. Say goodbye, hoping one day you'll meet again under different circumstances. It is a happy time, but heartrending, also.

45 Second requirement before looping occurs. Longer the better.

3 weeks to find your way. October the 6th.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Katamari in your Heart~

Should you still wish to record for this, please do!

Oh no! The King of the Cosmos is at it again, he has sunk into a deepest of depressions and is crying a river. Please stop swimming in the river, no matter how the summer lingers and the water is warm, and help the Prince roll up as much love as possible to remind his father why life is worth living!

Imagine there is a new entry in the Katamari Damacy series. Known so much for lovely and quirky music. Music to inspire you to roll that katamari as hard as you can and gather up everything from pencil erasers to solar systems to giant squid! Please do create music to accompany an area of katamari rolling. Whether it is a small children's classroom, a town, a yeti-infested woods, or the great wide sea! Be as specific and wonderful as you want! Describe the level would be even better, but not necessary.

I will be happy with tracks that are at least one minute prior to a loop. Longer pieces are excellent, too.

3 weeks, cousins. September the 25th.

Ready, set....NA NAAAA NANANA NA NA NA NA NANA NA NANA NAAAA

katamari, do your best!

Ha, I just read this article

hslesperance

Ha, I just read this article right before seeing this theme http://www.act.uni-bayreuth.de/en/archiv/2011-02/03_Reale_Chaos_in_the_C...

Maybe it'll help to understand the soundtrack it bit more.

But I have too many other unfinished songs to work on! Probably sitting out another contest. :(

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

Interesting... Never played

Avaruussaha

Interesting... Never played or seen Katamari, heard a few songs from the OST I think. We shall research!

i hope this contest doesn't

tiger child

i hope this contest doesn't die by lack of knowledge of the games!

@hslesperance that's a neat article. the game was life changing for me with it's timing and just so many layers of wonderful. i remember the first japanese trailers released for it. my brother and i were beside ourselves (and beside each other). there's so much more to the games than just simply bing a prince or a cousin and rolling up the world into a sticky ball. but at the same time, it is just that simple and inviting.

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

Played Beautiful Katamari

iamHoustonian

You don’t need to see my identification…

Played Beautiful Katamari quite a bit at a friend's house. The music fits that high energy, "time limit" aspect of the game.
Though, as for music that I'd want to make, it might be a bit too upbeat and bubble-ey for me to work with.
So I might have to courteously bow out of this one as well. Good luck guys :-D

Re: Played Beautiful Katamari

tiger child

realistically, it seems like the potential candidates for this is dwindling. the music in all of it isn't always that high energy. there are mellower tracks. and the idea is to create sounds for a new one, inspired by the feeling of the game, or that story. so they dont have to necessarily that kind of high energy pieces. but if it already seems unlikely people will be interested, i can choose another topic. i want to have the best turnout possible.

here's a track i did around 6 months ago that would fit into this contest. just in case people want an example.
twirl me

----------

-brick road

For sure, it's not all super

iamHoustonian

For sure, it's not all super high energy but it's definitely got an upbeat, unique sound. Considering I'm pretty much confound to guitar only songs, I feel it's kind of out of my "realm", for lack of a better word haha :D

That said, I think some interesting stuff could come from the peeps who use VST/midi. I wouldn't bail on it yet, man d(^-^)b

Re: Ha, I just read this article

BigHeadClan

hslesperance said

Ha, I just read this article right before seeing this theme http://www.act.uni-bayreuth.de/en/archiv/2011-02/03_Reale_Chaos_in_the_C...

Maybe it'll help to understand the soundtrack it bit more.

But I have too many other unfinished songs to work on! Probably sitting out another contest. :(

Pretty much this exactly, work is busy and I moved so guitar has not been a priority. But I shall en-devour to make a submission for once.

I never played the game nor

jit

I never played the game nor heard of it until I youtubed it, so I don't have an attachment or desire to write anything based off a portion of some random OST I've listened to once. Personally, I think the theme is too specific, considering this is the first one where the theme is based of an actual game, rather than something more simple such as a season or adjectives.

Not like I've been an active participant anyway, but I'm out for this one. Good luck to anyone that participates.

aww man, it's a bummer that

iamHoustonian

aww man, it's a bummer that you're Katamari theme isn't really psyching anyone up for it D: I feel like it could influence some interesting tunes, for sure.
Buuuuut I diiiiiid just record a song that could probably fit another theme, if you still wanted to switch it up :-D

Okay. I'll have a new theme

tiger child

Okay. I'll have a new theme up tonight or tomorrow. It was my mistake think people were more familiar with the series. No problemo, though. Moving on.

That being said I hope some of you that haven't heard of it or know much about it give it a look. It's a special series of games.

----------

-brick road

Too bad, if you want people

hslesperance

Too bad, if you want people to make songs that fit a particular game it has to be open to any game of their choosing, like when we had the Game Item contest.

----------

whoa, Hsl! any game of our

iamHoustonian

whoa, Hsl! any game of our choosing? that's a huge "thing" to live up to haha it's almost like asking "be your favorite game composer" ... Hiroki Kikuta, Nubou Uematsu, Yasunori Mitsuda, Motoi Sakuraba etc... I can't even start to measure up to those guys haha
just foolin' I feel ya man ;D

Re: Too bad, if you want people

tiger child

i think the only real mistake here was my presumption that more people were familiar with a certain game. if i were to make a contest that was a new or retro entry to the final fantasy series, people would (more than likely) have an idea of what that means and be able to run with it.
the thing about the katamari damacy games is that there is genuinely no precise format for the music. the music is always very interesting and goes all over the place. i wonder what kind of response there would be had i never mentioned the game, but only the premise of it. it is about simply creating an atmosphere to that premise.
i thought it would be neat to have people making music for a game rather than just a genre or vague idea. like composers have to do. i thought it had the potential to be a cool exercise.

anyway, like i said. it's no problem. hopefully i'll have a new theme up in the morning before i check out of this motel.

----------

-brick road

You should do a duel-themed

BigHeadClan

You should do a duel-themed contest, keep the Katamari and then choose something else as an optional entry.
Nothing wrong with trying to expose people to new music :D

'Winning' conditions would be

Avaruussaha

'Winning' conditions would be quite strange with two themes though. Stick with one for clarity I'd say, although if I get the inspiration, nothing is stopping me from doing something extra...

Well I have no problem with

tiger child

Well I have no problem with anyone inspired to give a go to a katamari track still!

Sorry for the delay on a new contest. I'm living in my car on the road right now. I think I'm in Louisiana right now. Unless the signs lied to me last night I'm near Shreveport.

----------

-brick road

new theme up. should be

tiger child

new theme up. should be ridiculously more accessible. get to work!

----------

-brick road

Nice theme. 'Tis the point in

iamHoustonian

Nice theme. 'Tis the point in a game right before the grief of finishing sets in T_T haha

I think the song I recently recorded can relate to this one :D
Here we go: REGENERATE

Re: Nice theme. 'Tis the point in

tiger child

very cool! i can certainly feel it. such a somber sequence.

----------

-brick road

Alrighty, got a nice idea

Avaruussaha

Alrighty, got a nice idea going quite fast, definitely onto this.

Ohh I like the updated tune,

BigHeadClan

Ohh I like the updated tune, time to put my writing pants back on!

glad people seem to be on

tiger child

glad people seem to be on board. admittedly though, it's a pretty ace theme.

----------

-brick road

My Submission!

Lloyde_Sorrow

Well, here we are. I can't say I'm happy with the mixing... I've still got a lot to learn there. But I guess that doesn't matter too much now.

Re: My Submission!

tiger child

i'd need to listen to it again with headphones to get a better sense of the mix. but the music itself is great.

----------

-brick road

Nicely done Lyode, makes me

BigHeadClan

Nicely done Lyode, makes me want to try adding some orchestration to my submission.

Thanks

Lloyde_Sorrow

Thanks! It's nice to know you are going to submit something :P I look forward to your entry ^^

Shit kinda hit the fan irl,

Avaruussaha

Shit kinda hit the fan irl, expecting stuff to calm down around monday. Might or might not be able to record before that.

edit: found the time to record afterall, so I'm pretty far into it now.
edit2: and I'm done, whew. Unwind, the hard journey is over, it's time to enjoy the way back home. This one is definitely from the same imaginary title as my "Overworld" tune.

@Avaruussaha I can take a

BigHeadClan

@Avaruussaha I can take a snooze under a tree listening to this, could have used a little a more time in mixer but still great tune!

Re: @Avaruussaha I can take a

Avaruussaha

Oh yea I can hear it now, I'm pretty sure I numbed my ears by working on tracking it for too long in one sitting. Will most likely fine tune it when I have time.

Will have mine posted

BigHeadClan

Will have mine posted tomorrow, just needs a quick mixing before I post.

Edit:
Here is my submission intended to add more but never got around to it, will perhaps add more at a later date.
Silent Goodbye

If anyone needs a few more

tiger child

If anyone needs a few more days, it's cool. I'm living in my car so it's not super convenient for me to judge the contest from my phone. Hopefully I'll be somewhere I can sit with my laptop very soon.

----------

-brick road

Contest closed!

tiger child

Well it looks as though I'll be camping possibly until December. So no reason to hold this up. Have to do it from my phone after all. Not sure how I have signal, even. 7000 feet up, middle of nowhere, rain trickling down and heavy mist unrolling over the peaks nearby.

So let's go.

iamHoustonian - REGENERATE - I really like this. Such a melancholy sweetness to it. But also a foreboding feeling. Tough to describe. Makes me want to shut my eyes then go climb the mountains. Like I can breathe for a moment, but soon there will be more to do.

Lloyd Sorrow - Returning Home - Splendid. What a grand return! I can definitely hear this. Marching home. The adventure is so close to being at it's end.

Avaruussaha - Unwind - Like was said before, totally could nap under a tree to this. As a composer there are moments I wanted to hear it go somewhere else, but just as a listener I really liked your choices. Probably because they were very different than what I'd have done, but were lovely. I can see the people returning, with heavy hearts and their spirits lifted for the time.

BigHeadClan - Silent Goodbye - this is a really ominous track, but also very genuine. I like. I really would have liked to hear where you would have gone with it given more attention. There was certainly a calm feeling. But so much more.

I like how super varied the entries were. Thank you! Having said that, and wanting to not let my phone die before I finish, I feel like Lloyd took this one. It's actually the farthest from what I had in mind (Ava was closest), however the arrangements and feeling really were excellent and it compels me to hand it the crown. Which proves that in music, as in life, we never can be sure exactly what we are looking for until we feel it. So the torch is passed, do not set your self on fire. Fire is a necessary commodity but also dangerous. Good day!

----------

-brick road

Good job Lloyd! Really like

hslesperance

Good job Lloyd! Really like the triumphant part starting from 0:43

A few hours late, but here's my song So Long for Now

One of my least favorite that I've written in a while. The melodies aren't too great, the transistions are clumsy and I don't know if the characters are represented well.

I pretended 3 character themes from the game were used within this song. It starts with the returning home melody on violin. 0:49 is the heroic and loyal sidekick; a lowly knight who after proving himself has become a commander. 1:20 is the protagonist's lover, waiting patiently for you to come home safe; it starts a bit sad, but at 1:28 they finally see you are unharmed. 1:45 plays the returning home melody from before, now mixed with the protagonist's theme on pizzicato strings, which is meant to sound adventurous (not sure if that was conveyed well), humble and kindhearted. The beginning of the lover's theme is also present before falling out, indicating that the protagonist will soon be leaving for new adventures.

----------

Beep Boop Bop!

Lloyde_Sorrow

I wasn't expecting to win haha. I was thinking it would be Ava :). Some pretty nice entries! As tiger said, they were quite varied. It was interesting to hear everyone's take on the theme. And hsl gets detention for coming in a wee bit late :P.

Thanks! I'll try to coming up with something interesting in a day or so!

Cheers!

Well great hslesperance. You

tiger child

Well great hslesperance. You show up late with a nice track. I love the voices you chose and how very clearly an era of games it represents. The feeling is excellent. I think there's a ton of potential there. So very cool. I just figured I was so late to judge no one would have possibly been left. Anyway good work!

----------

-brick road

Nice choice, tiger child. I

iamHoustonian

Nice choice, tiger child. I was thinking Lloyde had the definitive video game song of the bunch. Like you said, it had that marching home feel to it :-)

I was aiming for that sort of feeling with my song :D Like, the build in the beginning is like a Regen spell and by the time everything meshes together for a bit, you've been Regenerated.