You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

SalemJake

Bewitched

I suppose everyone have been in a moment when your playing gets stuck and no matter how you practice what you play you dont seem to improve. What have you done in this situation. I'm currently stuck.

Re: Stuck

Jacob31593

play it slower, then gradually increase the speed until you get it, thats what i do when i get stuck

SalemJake

Bewitched

But i start building the speed and i get stuck before the real tempo, and i cant get it right no matter how much i practice it.

EeinX

I get like that sometimes.

Just take a break and come back to it.

Also, the best way to practice is with a metronome. You will improve 1000% once you get in that habit.

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

SalemJake said

I suppose everyone have been in a moment when your playing gets stuck and no matter how you practice what you play you dont seem to improve. What have you done in this situation. I'm currently stuck.

Try not to over think when you play thinking about it too much throws off everything.

----------

Watch me: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vic9mm

Jacob31593

Vic9mm said

SalemJake said

Try not to over think when you play thinking about it too much throws off everything.

this is true, i find that when im not paying attention is when i play the best for some reason

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

I think the reason for that is your brain is so focused on trying to play it perfectly you end up hurting your preformance more then helping it, just let it flow. I mean dont get wrong the music isnt going to play itself by anymeans but study the piece and play it without the trying to be perfect thats what kills you "trying to be perfect" at it and besides perfection comes with time.

----------

Watch me: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vic9mm

c4ndym4n

♫ the c4ndym4n can ♫

EeinX said

I get like that sometimes.

Just take a break and come back to it.

Also, the best way to practice is with a metronome. You will improve 1000% once you get in that habit.

Using a metronome sounds like a sick idea! I've never really paid too much attention to timing, but I've found that an improvement in one area often translates to improvements in others areas as well.

That's why whenever I get stuck I just practice other pieces. It doesn't really matter what you practice as whatever it may be, you are continually refining your guitar technique. Also sometimes you just get too stiff, or too stressed over the same fingering sequences.

Try playing a different piece fo 10 mins or so and then returning to the one you were having trouble with.

Tanimax

What happens if you use a metronome, then play without one? I've heard so many stories of people who CAN NOT play without a metronome. It's simply impossible for them to time anything, even the simplest pieces.

I imagine those are the worst cases, but do you normally have to relearn preforming without one?

auriplane

If you can't play without a metronome, it means you need more practice with one ;-)

----------

Auriplane!!

Tanimax

No, I can play with a metronome, easily. My freinds freind (hence me trying to verify this) used to be able to play without a metornome. 4 months after using it, he can no longer play unless he has a metronome.