You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

i wonder how the other thinking about games music??

usoop

hmmm i just wondering , when people heard music like games music , how do they think?
is it good ? or is it bad?
i mean games music like , FF , the classical one.
??
8D

Re: i wonder how the other thinking about games music??

thiagobpaiva

Thiago

well , the way they think is a good think i think.xD
for me its a good time, i remember when i was kid , and its like a fugue to my mind.

----------

thiago

BooDoo

People

Based on people's looks when I tell them - they don't know what to think.

It usually goes something like this:

(person sees guitar on my back)
"Oh, what do you play?"
Me: "Mostly music from video games, arranged for classical guitar"
(person has blank look) "Oh..."

They expect you to say 'rock' or 'metal' or 'folk'— and 'video game' doesn't translate like those terms do.

Kabukibear's 'DK In Love' is a great example of taking what someone in their 40s+ may associate with the music of a video game, but turning it into a song where they can't tell its source. Then, most Mitsuda/Uematsu compositions don't sound like music a computer would make when played on real instruments.

I think, if you tell someone you do 'soundtrack' or 'mood pieces' they may get a better idea of what you mean. But then, who cares what impression you give others? It sounds good - play it!

surreal

Eric: tank,godlike

usoop said

hmmm i just wondering , when people heard music like games music , how do they think?
is it good ? or is it bad?
i mean games music like , FF , the classical one.
??
8D

wat

usoop

what's wrong surreal?

yeah i think so boodoo , hahaha
if i told them that i play a games song , they will just sound like "ooo"
haha
but who cares 8D , i just want to play the song hahaha

surreal

Eric: tank,godlike

usoop said

what's wrong surreal?

yeah i think so boodoo , hahaha
if i told them that i play a games song , they will just sound like "ooo"
haha
but who cares 8D , i just want to play the song hahaha

wat

DuoDn

When I perform at places now I have stopped saying the name of the song and tell everyone I like announcing song names and info about the song after I play. I feel that thats a better way to do i tbecause when I announce a video game song and talk about the mood its portraying I usually get half the people to tune out before I even play. Where the other way afterwards people are engaged saying things like wow that was amazing what great composer wrote that? Then when you tell them it was written for Final Fantasy they are much more open to the idea. Then I just go on to explain what video game music tries to accomplish and why it is so amazing and just as deserving as any other genre if not more so.

id marry nobuo uematsu if i could =[

Taai

I'm Dutch, but I ain't Cheap!

BooDoo said

I think, if you tell someone you do 'soundtrack' or 'mood pieces' they may get a better idea of what you mean. But then, who cares what impression you give others? It sounds good - play it!

Couldn't agree more ^_^

Music = Music
it doens't matter for what it's used, as long it's a good piece is all that matters.

----------

Creativiteit is de grootste verrijking van de geest.

silverrida

I love this site

Most of my friends don't acknowledge VG music as "real" music. I also tend to play the song before saying what it is, and people seem surprised when it's from a video game. I actually am going to try to get my states college to try an experiment when I'm older. The college has it's own station which plays a decent amount of classical music. I want the station to start playing VG songs, but without saying what they are, and see how people on campus react. I want to see if people have as much of a positive reaction as I do. I think, when open to the idea that it IS REAL music, people will really like it. I hope I can accomplish this and it causes some sort of station only for VG music to form. If this doesn't happen, I believe, sadly, that VG music will drift into memories and no one will remember it like they do things like songs by Zepplin or Ozzy or Maiden etc. Sure new songs will replace the old, but it will cast the old into memory. I personally think that Gerudo Valley from OoT is up there with GREATEST SONGS of all time. Not VG song, or classical song, ALL songs. It makes me angry to think that it may just be forgotten. Anyway, my rants over, and to answer the actual question, my friends respond positively if I don't say what the song is before I play and don't listen if I say the name before I play it.

----------

Get to see Play! soon :).

VizardAnshin

I have a few friends that tell me that they're still waiting on me to actually cover "real" music. If I enjoy playing it...it's real music to me but please, let me know if you guys get sick of my Shin Megami Tensei, Anime and retro vg covers. ^ ^;

auriplane

I like your covers, Mr. Vizard ;-)

----------

Auriplane!!

BooDoo

People

I'm with Auri- no desire for change from you, Viz. I'm always excited to see more SMT recordings show up!

VizardAnshin

Thanks Auri and Boo ^ ^ There's a few SMT songs I'm working on but I'm waiting for this little fella to join me.

Maikoi92

Linsey

VizardAnshin said

I have a few friends that tell me that they're still waiting on me to actually cover "real" music. If I enjoy playing it...it's real music to me but please, let me know if you guys get sick of my Shin Megami Tensei, Anime and retro vg covers. ^ ^;

That's exactly what everyone says who hears me play. I usually don't even tell them the song name, just where it's from if I'm asked.
This is how it usually goes:
"play something......ooh that was nice!..where is it from?"
"It's mostly from games"
"oh.... can't you play known songs?"
".......no, I like this music more"
"ah.."
- end conversation - or , "well play some more!" depends on the person :P

What they fail to understand is that VG music has a lot more emotional value to it, if you've played the game. We've usually heard the music we play in games or in animes, and so each song corresponds with a certain mood, certain emotions. When playing the song after the game or anime that mood will come back to you with all the emotions packed with it, that's what I love the most about playing music.

usoop

hahah yeah i agreed with maikoi ,
when we play game song or anime song or ost , etc. we can feel the emotion , mood when we play the game , watch the movie .
And that's why i like playing music hahaha.
it's like when you play a song from ff7 , you will remember how you play the game . 8D

SalemJake

Bewitched

Maikoi92 said

VizardAnshin said

That's exactly what everyone says who hears me play. I usually don't even tell them the song name, just where it's from if I'm asked.
This is how it usually goes:
"play something......ooh that was nice!..where is it from?"
"It's mostly from games"
"oh.... can't you play known songs?"
".......no, I like this music more"
"ah.."
- end conversation - or , "well play some more!" depends on the person :P

What they fail to understand is that VG music has a lot more emotional value to it, if you've played the game. We've usually heard the music we play in games or in animes, and so each song corresponds with a certain mood, certain emotions. When playing the song after the game or anime that mood will come back to you with all the emotions packed with it, that's what I love the most about playing music.

I play videogame music but also popular stuff like Ozzy, Pantera, AC/DC, Van Halen, Taylor Swift. So people dont tend to critize me when i play videogame stuff.

kimpile

When i was a teen it was difficult to share this passion, i used to import most of the ost from Japan when everyone was listening to Nirvana and Co in music store... Of course i listening to "normal" music too but 70% of my culture is from VG music. Today it's more easier with internet and the "geek" generation to share this kind of music, and now when i play guitar and tell to my friends "it's from a video game" they always surprise :)

----------

- Hardcore gamer since 25 years