You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

VG Music Remixes

Sage

Sage

Hey guys! I finally got back into doing Music remixes and such and have been working hard on some that I haven't posted to my soundcloud yet. I did post a Re-Orchestration of the Farewell Hyrule King theme from The Legend of Zelda Windwaker. I would love some support from you guys if you wouldn't mind clicking on my soundcloud link down below. If you listen to any of the songs that I don't have available for download and you are interested in downloading them, just comment the name of whichever one you want to download. Thanks Guys :D
www.soundcloud.com/sage98

I think you forgot the link

Shrinx

I think you forgot the link dude. But it sounds great that we have a remixer here. I'd love to check them out!

Re: I think you forgot the link

Sage

Sage

I did forget the link, thanks for letting me know. It's there now. And Thanks for showing interest in it Shrinx!

Went ahead and made everything downloadable

Sage

Sage

Everything on my soundcloud is now available for free download. I'd love to have some support, so if you could please like my music/download it/repost it with appropriate credit, it'd be much appreciated.

Pretty good. But I'd like to

hslesperance

Pretty good. But I'd like to see you add more of your own ideas to enhance the songs. Most of these sound like direct transcriptions of the original song without anything new. Actually some have less than the original song since you left out the percussion on most songs. These aren't exactly remixes if they sound exactly like the original song.

The only songs that seems like your own original take is Lost Woods. The bass is cool and different from the original song. MegamanX5 Intro also has a bit of originality with that long bass sound that rises up and falls down. The production is pretty nice on MegamanX5 and it has a better structure than your other songs, which might sound strange since it's just that same 15 second pattern looped a few times. But the addition and subtraction of instruments and changing dynamics make each time feel a bit different and interesting.

Sorry for sounding a bit harsh, but if you want to make remixes you really have to add more of your own ideas on top of the original song. Try more stuff like those two tracks and keep at it!

You might even want to join ocremix. There are plenty of people on the forums willing to help with constructive feedback and guidelines on how to remix. Here's a decent place to start http://ocremix.org/info/THE_%27ART%27_OF_ReMixing_by_Joel_%27Jivemaster%...

I'd like to point out the Introduction section in particular as it relates to what I meant by changing the original song to your own personalized remix.

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

Re: Pretty good. But I'd like to

Sage

Sage

nonono you're fine hslesperance! I don't think you're being harsh at all, I am greatful for the advice. And I understand what you mean, the songs on there are some that a did a little while ago when I wasn't super great with remixing, but I am currently working on some and trying to improve! And I actually had plans of joining OC Remix real soon. I appreciate your input and would love to hear more of it in the future!

Check this out

Sage

Sage

I just upload a remix of the Final Fantasy 7 Victory Fanfare. I think this sounds more along the lines of what you suggest that I do. Check it out and tell me if you like it, I'd love to hear some feedback. https://soundcloud.com/sage98/final-fantasy-vii-victory-fanfare

@ Hsl - I thought the same

iamHoustonian

You don’t need to see my identification…

@ Hsl - I thought the same thing. I even almost said something about them all sounding like a midi uploaded into a music program with just a little instrument tweakage haha but I thought I'd be sounding harsh as well xD in the end it's just constructive criticism tho.

@ Sage - Like Hsl said, I think you have to incorporate more originality in the song for it to be a remix. Not trying to burst your bubble, man, but if you stick with it I'm sure you can produce something that's a solid remix.

Re: @ Hsl - I thought the same

Sage

Sage

Thanks for the input man! I can take criticism like this because it only helps me improve! I don't know if you listened to my FF7 remix i posted today or not but I think that one is better than my other one. I'm trying to improve as much as I can and your advice really helps me out, so I'd love to hear more of it

The drums you added sound

hslesperance

The drums you added sound good. But other than that you're still staying too close to the original song. Phaser effects are cool, but it shouldn't be the only change.

Are the instruments panned in this? They all sound too close, like they are all sitting in the middle. And the timbre of the instruments sound too similar. In the original song, the melody synth has a sharper tone than the accompaniment synth to make it stand out. Not to say you should copy the original, but keep in mind what instruments you choose to put together. Actually, your other songs use a lot of synth; maybe consider using more traditional instruments for a wider tone palette.

I've never remixed anything before so I don't have any specific ideas on the process. But maybe try listening to a song a couple times. Then take the basic idea of the melody and try to pretend that you are composing a song. Rather than transcribing directly from the source, think of how you would make the song from the ground up if the original didn't exist. Take the melody in new directions; even just little flourishes and embellishments that deviate a bit from the original to take the listener by surprise. Change the chord progression. Add a completely new section that still fits the tone of the other parts.

I'll be looking forward to more!

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

Re: The drums you added sound

Sage

Sage

I really like how you put! I think it's a great way to view it and for my next remix I am definitely going to think of that as I put it together. I really love all this input and it is helping a lot as I absorb it all into my mind. I appreciate all the input and hope the next song is something even closer to what you think would be an ideal remix. I can't way to share my next track and receive further input from you. I don't think I could say thank you enough for it!