You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Video Game Music

JBryant

Level 14 Geek

What video game songs do you think are the most well written. Not just because you just like the songs, you may even hate them, but because they were just so well written and sound like they had so much effort in there.
Admit it, Mario Bros won't make any list.

Mine Are
1.Katamari of Love - Katamari
2.Open Your Eyes - Dark Cloud (Might be a slight bit biased there)
3.Rocky Mountain - Amagon

Re: Video Game Music

TrangOul

Insomaniac

Interesting topic, since games like Zelda and Final Fantasy can't compete in this category.

Alundra - The Village of Inoa
StarCraft - Terran Theme (any)
Grandia 2 - Fight!
and (no kidding): almost every single Ragnarok Online song (which are about 130)

yoshistrings

ヨッシー

mario bros or the mario series? there's a lot of stuff in galaxy.

In any case, most of the best songs, I think, are the simple ones.

hslesperance

I agree with yoshistrings, simple songs are usually nice to listen to. But if we're talking about well written music then just about anything from Shadow of the Colossus is an amazing composition even if the songs are kind of short.

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

TrangOul

Insomaniac

yoshistrings said

I strongly disagree with that. Once I started playing guitar, music became something like science to me. When I listen to music today, I'm not just listening, I'm analyzing it. Sometimes I listen to the same song in infinite loop and each time I focus on another aspect of the composition.
Though, I can't do that with simple songs, there's nothing to discover. So that's why they usually annoy me...

JBryant

Level 14 Geek

TrangOul said

yoshistrings said

I strongly disagree with that. Once I started playing guitar, music became something like science to me. When I listen to music today, I'm not just listening, I'm analyzing it. Sometimes I listen to the same song in infinite loop and each time I focus on another aspect of the composition.
Though, I can't do that with simple songs, there's nothing to discover. So that's why they usually annoy me...

You too? Ever since I took up the horn, I can't help but check every little part of music, every lick, run, and riff. The more eratic the better, the more parts the better, the more long the better. If anything is even the slightest out of tune or key, a thing in my brain wants to explode so bad!

Also, the topic wasn't about what songs you liked,but what were the best written, most thought out type thing. Simple songs don't fit this catagory.

----------

The Price is wrong, bob.

TrangOul

Insomaniac

Haha, nice to meet another guy of my kind. ^^
In that case, I can only recommend you to give the Ragnarok Online OST a shot.

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

Chrono Trigger
Game Intro
Schala
Corridors of Time
Magus Theme
Ocean Palace
To faraway times (whole ending music)

Chrono Cross (Havent heard them all)
Near the shore of another world (or something to that effect)
Game Intro
Radical Dreamers

Tales of Phantasia
The Sylphs Mountain

Mario Kart 64
Ending Credits

Secret of Evermore
Just about all them but mostly the

Credit Music

Xenosaga

Kabukibears take on this is FUCKIN EPIC!!! He damn near composed the entire last half of this song
if you havent seen it on youtube check it out. Misuda got owned by kabuki on this one..

Shion - Memories of the past Kabuki's Version

Hell the list could go on if I had all night...

----------

Watch me: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vic9mm

yoshistrings

ヨッシー

TrangOul said

yoshistrings said

I guess I'm kind of an in between guy. The really simple songs are boring but a more complex song can sometimes be really good. Thing about the really simple ones for me is that they leave the door open to tons and tons of arrangements. Like the mario theme for instance. It's original form is pretty dull and boring, but I look at it as a template for vastly different arrangements.

JBryant

Level 14 Geek

I don't mean to be rude, I absolutley do not, but the topic again wasn't what you liked, or what had the most potential, but, quoting myself:

What video game songs do you think are the most well written. Not just because you just like the songs, you may even hate them, but because they were just so well written and sound like they had so much effort in there.

As in epic, professional, type music. Wagner, Verdi, Mahler-like stuff, though not nescisarily being classical.

----------

The Price is wrong, bob.

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

JBryant said

I don't mean to be rude, I absolutley do not, but the topic again wasn't what you liked, or what had the most potential, but, quoting myself:

As in epic, professional, type music. Wagner, Verdi, Mahler-like stuff, though not nescisarily being classical.

I had a feeling you were going to say that...Then I guess my opinion doesnt matter here because I wouldn't know a good written piece of music from a bad one.

----------

yoshistrings

ヨッシー

Vic9mm said
I wouldn't know a good written piece of music from a bad one.

Me neither. A well written song would be a good song, right? Which ultimately would mean you like it?... I'm confused *_*

JBryant

Level 14 Geek

Now that I think about it, I can't come up with a right way to describe it...my orignal description is very open for interperitation...hmm...

----------

The Price is wrong, bob.

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

yoshistrings said

Me neither. A well written song would be a good song, right? Which ultimately would mean you like it?... I'm confused *_*

yup...unless he mean a song thats good but hard to play? Hell I dont know?!?!?

----------

TrangOul

Insomaniac

Looks like I gotta help JByrant here.
This thread is about well-composed songs. One doesn't have to like those, because that's a matter of taste. It's like with pictures: Even if I don't like the picture, I should be able to tell how much effort the painter put into it.

Lemme give you an example for a well-composed song: Brassy Road
Pay attention to

• percussion
  • variance of instruments
  • rhythm
  • special effects (animal sounds, etc.)

There's probably alot more to discover.

yoshistrings

ヨッシー

I see I see...

Taai

I'm Dutch, but I ain't Cheap!

Final fantasy Crystal Chronicles (game cube) has some nice music in it too:

Kaze No Ne (tabbed on this site)
Depature (tabbed on this site)
Fusion (I tougth it was called, it has a beautifull flute)

----------

Creativiteit is de grootste verrijking van de geest.

quinnpm

GOD OF ALL GAMES

TrangOul said

Looks like I gotta help JByrant here.
This thread is about well-composed songs. One doesn't have to like those, because that's a matter of taste. It's like with pictures: Even if I don't like the picture, I should be able to tell how much effort the painter put into it.

Lemme give you an example for a well-composed song: Brassy Road
Pay attention to

• percussion
  • variance of instruments
  • rhythm
  • special effects (animal sounds, etc.)

There's probably alot more to discover.

based on this i have to say the intro theme to call of duty 3 the unisin of the instruments and crescendo CRESCENDO

----------

you think you can beat me
as in in your dreams

i think

Rafaga

^(o.o)^ that's a moogle

a well composed song for me is...
Death Volcano - Chrono Cross
Why: Gotta admit gives you the impression of a death volcano, and it's gonna explode someday.
Hydra's Swamp - Chrono Cross
Why: It's ritmic and glue-like, even without playing the game and not reading the title you can tell this is from a swamp, the scales the surprisve accents...
Death sea ~Tower of Destruction~ - Chrono cross
Why: It's nostalgic and good use of an improvissed scale (combinning both # and b), it's melody could wake the death, you can feel it... but i don't personally this song.
Max Heat - Megaman Zero
Why: Battle like music, insentiving and adrenaline.giving, this song is like the what-to-have in a battle song, analyzing it you could sense the things this songs is trying to say, eveyr battle is an adventure.

I think a well composed song is the one that, without words, says something and exaplins something.

----------

And that's how it is, dude.

My favorite

cosmicz

Soul refrain

The best song ever written for any video game is "Corridors of Time" written by Yasunori Mitsuda for Chrono Trigger. I'm listening to it right now lmao.

This is a youtube link for a remake of "Corridors of Time" that was suppose to be in Chrono Trigger Resurrection until they dumped the game entirely.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM9OfRWbgJo&feature=PlayList&p=31BFF65281...
For those who haven't heard it yet. Its pretty sweet.

"Decisive Battle" written by the great Nobuo Uematsu for Final Fantasy 6 is pretty bad ass to. Probably my second favorite song.
Heres a link to the remix of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9cFAdAp010
I'm sure 99% of you have already heard the remix before but for those who haven't check it out.

----------

Life...Dreams...Hope...Where'd they come from? And where are they headed...? These things...I'm going to destroy!!

the GOODNIGHT song from

perpetiel01

Nv.Cherry.AicelleAnne

the GOODNIGHT song from CHRONO TRIGGER.
PEACE OF THE WORLD from DARK CLOUD 2
SHANA'S THEME from LEGEND OF DRAGOONS
MAIN THEME of SUIKODEN

----------

hohoemashii.tenshii.bercede

Is it just too cliche to say

Shade

Yay, Hero!