You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Classical guitar nails

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

ok my job is very demanding on my hands so I tend to brake nails alot anybody have luck with any nail products rather it be fake nails, silk, polish , hardenr, finger picks, your secrets to healthy nails...etc anything will help.

Re: Classical guitar nails

yoshistrings

ヨッシー

Maybe cutting your fingernails? I've never heard of anyone breaking their nails picking before.

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

i brake nails at work im a Diesel Mechanic not playing my guitar.

----------

Watch me: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vic9mm

yoshistrings

ヨッシー

oh lol :P In that case, I can't offer much advice.

mokshaingive

You could try out Dunlop finger and thumb picks. They are very durable however I think they are a little too long so I file the ends down a bit. Hope this helps!

----------

- Michael

Stamen47

no0bzOrG

I have a couple of suggestions that might help. First of all, try putting hand lotion on your nails and working it into the cuticles around your nail. If you do this regularly, your nails should get a nice healthy glow! Also, avoid saturating your nails with household cleaning products.

Second, the shape of the nail can make it more likely to break. If its longer, it's more likely to break. Also, if the tip of your nail has a corner, it's more likely to bend and break than if its rounded.

I tried a nail hardening solution once (I think it was Diamond Nails or something). I couldn't quite tell if it helped, but it made my nails really shiny like I'd had a manicure or put clear nail polish on it. Needless to say, I immediately stopped using it. You can try something like that out if you want, but I don't have any useful advice in that area.

----------

Is this the end of zombie Shakespeare?

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

so I took the plunge and boutght this companys http://www.guitarplayernails.com/ nail kit looks promiseing when I get them Ill let everyone know how they work.

----------

auriplane

I found finger picks online but they're I think maybe they're too large for my fingers? ;-( I can't really get them to stay on.

----------

Auriplane!!

surreal

Eric: tank,godlike

I'm unsure whether it's entirely healthy to develop a habit placing the potential well being of your nails at a priority before engaging in any activities.

Needless to say I've developed just that.

In any case, if you're a diesel technician I can imagine the main concerns would be potential exposure to damaging chemicals and general dangers of breaking your nails.

Try what was stated by stamen47, use vasoline lotion to help them retain their health. Taking specific vitamins can also improve the durability of your nails. Biotin or silica gel capsules usually work.

If you get grime under them from the job avoid leaving it under there for a long period of time. Like our skin, nails need oxygen to retain their durability and health.

Best of luck with that kit you bought.

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

surreal said

I'm unsure whether it's entirely healthy to develop a habit placing the potential well being of your nails at a priority before engaging in any activities.

Needless to say I've developed just that.

In any case, if you're a diesel technician I can imagine the main concerns would be potential exposure to damaging chemicals and general dangers of breaking your nails.

Try what was stated by stamen47, use vasoline lotion to help them retain their health. Taking specific vitamins can also improve the durability of your nails. Biotin or silica gel capsules usually work.

If you get grime under them from the job avoid leaving it under there for a long period of time. Like our skin, nails need oxygen to retain their durability and health.

Best of luck with that kit you bought.

yeah its ruff right now if my nails keep breaking I cant play the guitar but I sure stamen was right just try to keep them healthy and strong. But it gets fustrating sometimes will see what happens with the new kit I get. Thanks for you your help guys/ladies I really appreciate it

P.S. Sureal thats a damn fine Ovation you got there love the way those look.

----------

surreal

Vic9mm said

yeah its ruff right now if my nails keep breaking I cant play the guitar but I sure stamen was right just try to keep them healthy and strong. But it gets fustrating sometimes will see what happens with the new kit I get. Thanks for you your help guys/ladies I really appreciate it

Thank you, it's one of the Elite series models. The balance between highs and lows is eerily perfect on it and the OP-20pro preamp makes it sound excellent on the cheapest PA sets. The look alone sets it apart from a lot of guitars.

I love it quite a bit. My other acoustic steel string is one of the Carvin Cobalt basic dreadnought models. It was my first and is an incredible guitar that plays far better than any other 500-700 dollar guitar on the market, not to mention they sell for $300 at that.

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

surreal said

Vic9mm said

Thank you, it's one of the Elite series models. The balance between highs and lows is eerily perfect on it and the OP-20pro preamp makes it sound excellent on the cheapest PA sets. The look alone sets it apart from a lot of guitars.

I love it quite a bit. My other acoustic steel string is one of the Carvin Cobalt basic dreadnought models. It was my first and is an incredible guitar that plays far better than any other 500-700 dollar guitar on the market, not to mention they sell for $300 at that.

yeah man I was at my local guitar center and they had an elite classical one like your there just without the leaf had a soundhole they wanted 2200 for it I sware dude I told them Ill take it and filled out a line of credit app I was denyed i was heart broken. Same exact color as your it was beautiful http://www.oklahomavintageguitar.com/ov17nynewusa.html but it was blackish/red just absalutly stunning but I bought a 740 dollar Godin La Patrie sounds really good. Has a built in mic right inside the soundhole and an under ther saddle pickup.

----------

surreal

I've been meaning to buy a good classical guitar sometime for some flamenco and Spanish style.

I'm more drawn to a 7 or 8-string classical though. I'd love that large addition of musical dynamic in a guitar.

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

surreal said

I've been meaning to buy a good classical guitar sometime for some flamenco and Spanish style.

I'm more drawn to a 7 or 8-string classical though. I'd love that large addition of musical dynamic in a guitar.

that would be neat 8 string classical only bad thing is you have to hold it like a chelo from what i have seen anyway

----------

auriplane

Just pretend you're playing a really little upright bass. ;-)

----------

Auriplane!!

surreal

Heh, holding it isn't so much what I'm worried about.

My finger length is just a tad below average length so I can imagine I'd have a great time fretting the lower 2 strings with any chords.

Upright basses make excellent sleds.

auriplane

I'm a girl but I play six-string bass. My hands aren't especially large, so my entire hand including thumb often goes over the neck to do so. It's not so bad, as long as you've got the bass anchored with your right arm and body. I am almost certain you could do the same. ^-^ Have you tried?

----------

Auriplane!!

surreal

auriplane said

I'm a girl but I play six-string bass. My hands aren't especially large, so my entire hand including thumb often goes over the neck to do so. It's not so bad, as long as you've got the bass anchored with your right arm and body. I am almost certain you could do the same. ^-^ Have you tried?

I use a similar technique when I want to apply a heavy vibrato or an excessive bend on a string. I'm sure I could adjust, it'll just be awkward fretting chords that involve the 8th and 1st string.

What model is your 6 string bass, by the way?

auriplane

It's an Ibanez SR-506. I have five basses, but most aren't very high end, like I got the cheapest fretless I could find, just to have a fretless. I have two Fender jazz basses, a four string passive mia, and a five string active mim, and I think they sound the best. But I go for the Ibanez whenever I want a bright sound to play slap bass, or when I play anything from Secret of Mana. For some reason SoM songs just feel right with six.

(And it tears up my fingers, 'cause I put flatwounds on all the others, so my fingers aren't so used to it anymore! Ow. But I play it anyway because I love slap bass, and not being able to feel your fingers is a small price to pay. Hehee.)

EDIT: I should add, the reason I got the Ibanez in the first place is because it has a super-thin neck. When I was first trying it out, that helped my reach a lot, but I still couldn't reach half the frets. So nowadays I just reach over like I said, and I think the rounded C-shape neck is more comfortable, like on the Fenders.

----------

Auriplane!!

surreal

I like the shape of the Ibanez jazz basses. The brightness they have sound pretty great with a chorus effect. I don't have a lot of playing experience on basses though, being as I don't own one currently to play with.

I'll probably end up buying a low end bass for the sake of having one like you did to have a fretless.

Although I play keyboard and percussion, I only own a Cobalt dreadnought acoustic, an ibanez ART-100, and an ovation elite contour body. I've been meaning to save up for a viola or cello as well.

Have you had any experience with using the hybrid halfwound strings? I've been meaning to try them out.

auriplane

No, I fell in love with the D'Addario Chromes and decided to put them on everything. I'm afraid I haven't tried too many other kinds of strings! I even put them on my Epi LP when I found out they made guitar flats :-) I got the ones called "jazz lights", which are flat 11s. I think I put D'Addario rounds on my Ibanez six last time, too, but that was a little while ago so I'm not sure. I just really like the mellow sound and feel, and zero string noise.

If you get a bass, but you only play with a pick (just guessing since you say you don't play bass much), make sure you see how it sounds finger-style too, in case you decide you want to learn finger-style later on. That's pretty much my only advice, hehe.

Do you play viola or cello? I took ten years of viola lessons. I should play more . . .

Since this is the listing stuff thread, I guess I can list my axen too. On the guitar side, I have an Epi LP Studio which I got in August, and an Ibanez AEL acoustic-electric (I love this!! I just got it). I haven't been willing to spend too much money on guitar yet, because I haven't even been at it for a year yet--though I did take a few years of lessons when I was little--and I want to make sure I'll stick with it for more than a year or two at least. On the bass side, I already said what most of them are, but I didn't mention the Roland G-77 MIDI bass, which is pretty neat. Sounds like Depeche Mode.

EDIT: Oh wait, that was the other thread. I got confused. :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

surreal

I tend to go into periods of experimentation where I try several kinds of strings to find something better than my default set I buy.

It's the complete opposite for me, I play fingerstyle exclusively on my steel string acoustics, and only opt for a flat pick when I'm playing specific songs on my electric guitar.

I love playing fingerstyle in general and the times I have played bass it has been in the usual fingerstyle palm resting position. It just seems to make the melody flow more. Not to mention I love when it's used as a solo performing instrument. Thanks to guys like Jaco Pastorious I find certain sound characteristics of bass to sound much more serene and melodic than on a regular guitar; bass harmonics strike it big for me.

I've played some viola and cello, but I really never can get too far with any instrument if I don't own one myself.

That MIDI bass sounds pretty interesting too. Pretty 80's era friendly.

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

these nails were a waste of money.

----------

surreal

That's unfortunate. I've always shied away form most forms of artificial nails. The only one I'd probably ever think about putting on my fingers are the small pieces of ping pong ball. Only in an emergency at that.

auriplane

Funny coincidence, Juja linked me to a video by a guy with the same six-string bass as me. Ibanez SR-506. Check it out, he plays it better than I do ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbZNJtLjjN8&feature=channel_page

(He starts playing around 52 seconds in.)

Anyway that's what I meant by the bright / slap sound, so you can see why I keep roundwounds on taht one.

----------

Auriplane!!

auriplane

I should point out too the other thing I thought was really cool when I got the Ibanez, and I still appreciate it: The strings are a *lot* further apart at the bridge than at the nut. The distance between the strings at the first fret is about the same as the distance between only four of the six strings at the other end. So, I guess it's about a 3:2 ratio. Anyway, it makes both fretting and plucking super easy, in terms of hand position. It especially helps for slap bass ^-^

----------

Auriplane!!

surreal

My ovation has a pretty string width overall so I have to be extra precise with all my chord shaping and other stuff.

Whenever I get a steel string with a wider fretboard, it'll be magical.

Heliographos

Matt Keith

Wow, the whole time this topic was on the "new" board, I thought it was about the bridge nails. XDDD

There's some green tea stuff you can buy for it. Also, cut ya nails, man! And I'd recommend drinking 2 glasses of milk with each meal for 3 days. You need more calcium and more vitamin B12. Milk for the calcium, and Gatorade has a lot of B12 in it. It'll make your hair and nails grow faster.

----------

"It's not rape unless you yell 'Surprise!' first."

My AIM is fatman75427

Classical players generally

musenji

Classical players generally file their nails at least every 2/3 days. I've found that if I keep my nails at a reasonable length, they just plain don't break. It's only when I don't file for a week or two that they'll catch on something. I can't speak for your line of work though.

I stay away from fake nails, but I do use nail glue if I have a small crack, to keep it from getting bigger.

Good luck!

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

I don't suppose any of you

HarkenCaradine

I don't suppose any of you would know any good ways to stop nail biting? It kinda sucks when you can't play guitar for a few days because you got extremely bored during Physics.

Stamen's post pretty much

natenmn

I haven't had a chance to trim my hedges recently. Thanks for visiting anyway...

Stamen's post pretty much sums up most points about length, corners, etc. affecting nails.

However, I'd like to reiterate the best key advice in this thread concerning nails:

- Keep your nails moistened

They are MUCH more prone to breaking when brittle. Lotion goes a long way as has been said. Vaseline is kinda gross, but I guess I could see it working lol. Drinking milk is an interesting idea... I'm a complete milk addict, so that may possibly factor into my success.

Anyways, I have not broken a nail once since I have started using a particular nail hydrating product called "Nail Tek Hydration Therapy IV". Keep in mind that I regularly do VERY hard rasgueado strumming patterns. This stuff is great because it also helps protect the back of the nails when doing those rasgueado patterns... without protection, your nail has a high risk to deteriorate and become more and more thin over time.

The way I use it is I apply four generous coats once a week which is when I do my nails (though I often get lazy and go two or so weeks without doing my nails). Apply after shaping, but before smoothing the tips of the nails. Remove with nail polish remover before applying more. Make sure to wash and clean your hands before applying. I often put copious amounts of lotion on before applying (though make sure it's dry), as it seems to seal the lotion in... which is a great plus. It does not take too long to dry, but if you strum or play rasgueo I'd wait at least an hour before playing as it will still be semi-soft.

I can't guarantee that it would work immediately (it did for me), but spending 10-15 bucks on a bottle of it should at least entice anyone to use it for a few weeks to a month, at which point they should notice a huge difference. Also, using more than 4 coats won't harm your nails (might even be more beneficial lol)... but I have noticed putting too much on may make them kinda mushy feeling for strumming, and they also develop a weird texture instead of being smooth and shiny... it becomes almost like too much liquid with something making an imprint in it... it's weird, feels weird, and looks dull (though the dull might be good if you don't want to feel like a girl XD).

I found that if you use

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

I found that if you use vegetable oil lightly brushed on your fingernails for 15 mins a day by the 2nd week your nails will be 3X stronger. That said I take precautions at work like using really strong latex glove which they do have btw. Also Vitamin E hand lotion goes a long way (no pun intended) on keeping your nails really moisturized. I have also come to find that long nails aren't necessary at all I prefer them shorter with a nice fine grit file makes for a faster sweeping of the string.

----------

There are these finger picks

po_po

There are these finger picks called alaska piks. I'm not sure if they're useful (I've never used them. :D) but if you're having troubles with your nails you could try them. heres the link: http://www.alaskapik.com/

----------

OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM~

Re: There are these finger picks

SalemJeanette

Save Your Tears.

po_po said

There are these finger picks called alaska piks. I'm not sure if they're useful (I've never used them. :D) but if you're having troubles with your nails you could try them. heres the link: http://www.alaskapik.com/

Those purple fingers scare me

----------

23:33 Vic9mm said: its ture ida benn gone she took out like 3 kids before had what was that fat ass asian kid gonna do

Little J.

Re: There are these finger picks

po_po

SalemJeanette said

Those purple fingers scare me

O.o come to think of it.. they are really scary x.x

----------

OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM~