You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Multi-track Recording/Mixing Software - What do you use?

BooDoo

People

A question for everyone who has submitted one-performer, multi-track recordings for the site: What did you use to mix/arrange your multiple tracks?

Do you use that software for multiple takes on a single track as well, or just muxing together a straight take on each track?

I want to start some recording, but I don't want to blow a ton of money (or at least bandwidth) looking at every program out there for the purpose. I'm on Windows, FWIW.

I'm trying out Ableton Live 7 right now. It seems to lean towards electronic/virtual instrument production, but it looks to have all the functionality I should need for guitar recording.

Just a roll-call on apps used would be helpful, but any feedback or critiques of your solution would be more than welcome. Thanks in advance for any information!

My input setup right now is (for classical/acoustic):
2x Behringer C2 (Stereo setup) ==via mic cables==> [Behringer Xenyx 802] ===(2x Mono (1/4") into 1x Stereo (1/8")===> SB Live! 24 External 'Line In' input

Re: Multi-track Recording/Mixing Software - What do you use?

Juja

I probably don't have any really useful advice or anything, but let's see here. I use FL Studio to program drum tracks and then I do the actual recording and mixing in Adobe Audition. My main method of input now is plugging my guitar or bass into my foot pedal, and then my foot pedal actually has a USB out port that I can plug directly into my computer, so that's pretty cool. I used to record stuff by just sticking my computer mic up to my amp (I still have to use the computer mic for my acoustic guitar).

Anyway, I'm still learning how to record and mix songs. My stuff now certainly doesn't sound professional or anything, but if you listen to some of my older submissions and some newer ones, there's been definite improvement.

x fox x

The pokemon addict

Juja said

I probably don't have any really useful advice or anything, but let's see here. I use FL Studio to program drum tracks and then I do the actual recording and mixing in Adobe Audition. My main method of input now is plugging my guitar or bass into my foot pedal, and then my foot pedal actually has a USB out port that I can plug directly into my computer, so that's pretty cool. I used to record stuff by just sticking my computer mic up to my amp (I still have to use the computer mic for my acoustic guitar).

Anyway, I'm still learning how to record and mix songs. My stuff now certainly doesn't sound professional or anything, but if you listen to some of my older submissions and some newer ones, there's been definite improvement.

What foot pedal do you use? Thanks.

----------

~Fox...aka the guy who has more free time during the school year than summer vacation >.>

Juja

It's a brand I had never heard of before. It's a 'Zoom' foot pedal, and I guess the model number would be 'G2.1u' Anyway, I just bought what ever was available at the store that could plug directly into the computer. Luckily, it's worked out pretty well so far.

Destin

i have been looking at the pedal on this link its a looping pedal but do u think because of the memory card you could do recordings and move them to a computer

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-JamMan-Looper-Pedal?...

Juja

Yeah, that pedal looks pretty schweet to me. It even has a USB output port, so you could plug directly into the computer.

I'm surprised Auriplane hasn't commented in this section yet. She knows quite a bit about this stuff.

Destin

Auriplane is a girl?
MARRY ME!!!

auriplane

Hehe um.

Juja, I wasn't going to comment because BooDoo said he was on Windows, and I'm on a Mac, so I didn't think it would be really useful. I guess I can do the roll call thing though since you keep bugging me to do it ;-)

I record my guitar and bass through a Tonebone tube preamp, through my Bass Podxt, through a crappy Behringer 16-channel mixer, to my Edirol USB audio-midi interface, which is connected to my Mac. I use Logic Pro 7 to record and mix. I really like Logic!! But there are many excellent programs, most of which don't require a mac. So, I'm not about to say "go out and get a mac" if you don't want to spend the money on it.

As far as other stuff, lately I mainly use my Nord Lead 3 for synth sounds, and my Nord Electro 2 for pianos and organs. For drums I use Natural Drum Kit with Halion Player, and for strings/harps I use Garritan Personal Orchestra in Kontakt. Everything going in through the mixer also has stereo returns through my multi-effects rack, and I also have a pair of condenser mics (though only one is hooked up). NDK and GPO are highly recommended, especially NDK!! NDK is probably THE best value-to-dollar ratio I've ever spent on ANYTHING soundwise. It's a 20GB drum sample library, and people keep asking me if my drums are real whenever I use it.

So that's about it. I also have a Fizmo, Sidstation, Ms2000, 909, a PC88MX, QS6, and 303, an electric kazoo, and an electric viola. All of those go through the mixer. The PC88MX is my MIDI controller, and it goes in through the Edirol interface, so I can record all the MIDI notes I play, then it goes back out through a MIDI splitter to the rest of my synths (so there isn't latency from daisy chaining). As far as VST/AU plugins on my computer, besides NDK and Garritan I also use Quadrasid (highly recommended) for C64 sounds and Magical 8-bit plug for NES sounds (this one is free!! Download it!!). I have Plasticz which is okay, and some drum+bass pack that sucks I wish I hadn't spent money on, too. For monitoring I use MDR-V6 headphones, and a pair of Event1 PS6 studio monitors.

For my acoustic-electric I'm recording with the condenser mic panned slightly right, and the pickup slightly left; for everything else I use the setup I described above. I'm new to recording the acoustic-electric though :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

*Auriplane is a girl?
MARRY ME!!!*

Yeah I just found that out today too, lol.

I get by with an old cheap copy of acid music studio. I'm not doing any high end heavy mixing though, so I don't need anything too involved.

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

im new to recording also I have looked around for some cams. I have a question for webcam users can you change audio inputs when using a webcam? I have a light snake which plugs into my guitar then into the USB port it acts like a sound card and I can record what I play like that Im wondering would it work for a webcam?

----------

Watch me: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vic9mm

auriplane

I haven't tried using my camera for that yet (though I should get around to it . .) but as long as you can record audio at the same time you use the camera, you should be able to match them up later in a program like Windows Movie Maker.

----------

Auriplane!!

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

auriplane said

I haven't tried using my camera for that yet (though I should get around to it . .) but as long as you can record audio at the same time you use the camera, you should be able to match them up later in a program like Windows Movie Maker.

so there is no way to record video and audio without syncing?

----------

auriplane

Sorry, I didn't mean that. I'm sure there is. But I don't know anything about it so I refrained from commenting on doing it that way. Hehee

----------

Auriplane!!

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

you could always just try it out and see. try windows movie maker and see if it'll record what's running through your speakers as well as the video.

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

auriplane said

Sorry, I didn't mean that. I'm sure there is. But I don't know anything about it so I refrained from commenting on doing it that way. Hehee

nah its cool thank you for the help your input is greatly appreachiated but I read that probably the best way to go. I just want to upload my video into youtube in the next coming weeks so that why im asking.

----------

auriplane

I'm interested too. I've only used my camera for one thing so far (making a really crappy gameplay video). I don't see a mic jack on my camera . . . if that's the best way to do it, I should try to find out about that.

----------

Auriplane!!

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

auriplane said

I'm interested too. I've only used my camera for one thing so far (making a really crappy gameplay video). I don't see a mic jack on my camera . . . if that's the best way to do it, I should try to find out about that.

that is the best way getting a camra with a mic out jack and record.

----------

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

well in windows movie maker if you click capture video it'll give you some options as far as the audio input source. Mine has "microphone, cd player, aux, line in, and wave out mix."

Maybe experiment and see if any of those work for you?

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

Kabukibear said

well in windows movie maker if you click capture video it'll give you some options as far as the audio input source. Mine has "microphone, cd player, aux, line in, and wave out mix."

hmmm I didnt see that I guess I better look again thanks kabuki thats what i was looking for but couldnt find it.

----------

BooDoo

People

auriplane said:

Magical 8-Bit, NDK, HALion, et c.

Wow- thanks for the detailed breakdown! I think your production is great, so I really appreciate the insight into your setup.

I finally got my Axiom 61 working as a control surface, so I'm just starting on some MIDI stuff now. I do have Magical 8-Bit, and I'd recommend it to anyone else who is reading this.

I'll probably cave and pay for NDK - I missed my chance to get it free as ns_kit 7, I guess. Ableton has a built-in 'Impulse' drum instrument, but everyone who uses ns_k/NDK seems to love it, and I sure don't have room for a real kit.

Hopefully I'll put together something I'm happy with that I can share in the Recordings section soon

auriplane

Well, I have the classic problem of too much gear, too little skill. But I am learning, thanks for the compliment!

In fact I really feel like I've been learning a lot--each mix is better than the last, I think. But I still feel kind of like amateur hour. Hopefully in a year I can look back and think "Gee, I had no idea what I was doing back then!" All it seems to take is careful listening and doing as many songs as possible.

I also try to solicit constructive criticism from everyone. Hint. :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

Kabukibear said

hey bro WMM worked badass the video is a little on the crappy side but the audio is like your videos i recommand anyone getting a light snake for your acustic eletric or classical eletric guitar and eletric

here is a link http://emusician.com/aux_hardware/emusic_soundtech_light_snake/

----------

el gringo

I use FL Studio if I ever record, the problem is I can never really use FL Studio if I'm doing a webcam recording because I'd have to do both separately.

smiley

shadock number zo zo bu zo meu ga

I believe I have the same pedal, sir

x fox x

The pokemon addict

Destin said

Auriplane is a girl?
MARRY ME!!!

!

----------

~Fox...aka the guy who has more free time during the school year than summer vacation >.>

Juja

x fox x said

Destin said

Auriplane is a girl?
MARRY ME!!!

!

Heh, maybe you guys should have some sort of "Win an E-date with Auriplane" contest." You guys could like, watch a movie on tv-links at the same time and then look at pictures of food or play that Diner Dash game or something.

auriplane

*kicks Juja*

----------

Auriplane!!

smiley

Hahaha, Auriplane- your getting quite famous, tsk tsk tsk

smiley

And oh yeah, I get by with a shitty program called Krystal- its free and has problems
with saving. I want to get Cubase though...

Juja

smiley said

And oh yeah, I get by with a shitty program called Krystal- its free and has problems
with saving. I want to get Cubase though...

Hmm, I actually have Cubase but I haven't tried it out. I got it free with my foot pedal. I've just stuck with Adobe Audition because I'm already pretty familiar with it.

surreal

Eric: tank,godlike

I use cutting edge technology made possible by a rock band usb microphone and audacity.

. . . I need a mac with garageband and/or a decent webcam and/or a direct line into my laptop and/or and expensive freshly torrented third party recording program.

Until then I shall continue to have glorious white noise on all my non-video recordings.

auriplane

I highly recommend Logic, on a mac. ^-^

----------

Auriplane!!

surreal

Eric: tank,godlike

Thanks, I'll look into Logic once I get to acquiring a mac sometime down the road.

Any recommendations for PC compatible recording programs?

Heliographos

Matt Keith

Audacity, absolutely. It's simple, and it's incredibly well made. Almost EVERYONE I know (And both of my bands) use it.

----------

"It's not rape unless you yell 'Surprise!' first."

My AIM is fatman75427

My thought

bulldozer

For some reason I still can't fix my gmail. Still! What is the matter with me, I don't really know. Can anybody help me understand why my browser can't see it? Is anything the matter with the software I use?

It is very hard to say why

PrincesCharlesVIII

It is very hard to say why Chrome cannot see your Gmail. Maybe you need to temporarily use another browser or you can check out https://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/fix-gmail-not-loading-in-chrome/ to reach for a shortcut to solving your problem. This article was given to me by my mother-in-law who is very progressive, despite her age.