You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Need tips on how to learn sweep picking. PLZ.

sadnub

Anime Freak!

I have been playing guitar for about 4 years and have been putting off learning how to sweep pick for quite a while not. But I really want to learn how to play the battle with gilgamesh theme from final fantasy V(a little out of my league =P) But if you guys have any suggestions on some pick holding techniques or some excersizes I should practice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Need tips on how to learn sweep picking. PLZ.

shredder101420

first off u have to be asian so start eating botan rice. lol. jk. those arpeggio patterns are tough to sweep it my opinion. the trick is pratice it very slow for a week. the first 2 notes can be barred but make shure not at the same time. u kind of want to roll with it. the next 3 notes all use your ring finger, hit 11th fret with tip of finger and roll it down so now you have an area just under your tip of ring finger on the D string, roll down one more so that the middle of your finger is fretting the G. the do the same on the B and E with your pointer finger. i tap the third note on the E with my pick hand. its very hard to explain. but practice practice practice slow and make sure your pick hand is in sync with fret hand. the neck pickup is the best sounding. learn theory too if you dont know it already

sadnub

Anime Freak!

Thanks alot man, I know a little theory, and how to read music and all the stuff. But thanks for the pattern. Ive been trying to do the c-shaped pattern up by the 12th fret or so, but it seems like ive been in the same spot for ever, and I havent been progressing much. But I guess its a long process. Ill eat some rice to see if that helps. lol.

----------

OMJ!!!!

auriplane

You need to practice it without tensing up, slowly. When you start to do it faster, slow down as soon as you find yourself tensing up. Don't try it slowly then try it at full tempo right away afterwards. Work your way up :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

Agahnim

Nostalgic Gamer

i'll second that, it's all in muscle memory xD

----------

20 years of gaming
4 years of electric guitar, 5 years of classical
This site feels like home!

sadnubs

Anime Freak

Thanks alot guys. My other profile will not log in for some reason so i had to make a new one, but Ive been practicing the techniques and stuff and actually see an improvment, so thanks again and anything else anyone wants to suggest ill appreciate it. =)

----------

OMJ!!!!

archard

sadnubs said

Thanks alot guys. My other profile will not log in for some reason so i had to make a new one, but Ive been practicing the techniques and stuff and actually see an improvment, so thanks again and anything else anyone wants to suggest ill appreciate it. =)

What's wrong with your other profile? Did you request a new password?

----------

DANG

sadnubs

Anime Freak

umm... I didnt change my password the first time i made an account but this one i did So hopefully it works now =)

----------

OMJ!!!!

sadnubs

Anime Freak

well I got the right hand technique down kind of. But the left hand his lagging behind a litle bit. Should i hold the pick perpendicular to the strings or should i put a slight angle on the pick when i perform the arpeggios. Like when I sweep down is it good so the tip of the pick is pointed upward and when i sweep up should i tilt the downward. And also how firm of a grip should i put on the pick. Like loosely hold the pick or extremely tight. Anything that would help i guess. =) Thanks!

----------

OMJ!!!!

archard

sadnubs said

umm... I didnt change my password the first time i made an account but this one i did So hopefully it works now =)

I can manually set your password to your old account if you want. Or you can just keep this one. Whatever you want.

----------

DANG

sadnubs

Anime Freak

oh that would be awesome, do you need an information or anything? The account sadnub had this account's email.

----------

OMJ!!!!

archard

Check your PMs

----------

DANG