You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest 58 - Dance#2

Avaruussaha

The first Dance theme was over 2 years ago, and I've been into waltzy improvisation lately, so Dance it shall be.

http://www.gametabs.net/forum/topic/15020 was the old thread.

Compose something for the purpose of dancing, with the specific scene in mind.

Style and instruments free, until 17th of May.

Ok this time I will have a

BigHeadClan

Ok this time I will have a submission for realizies! Had something started a while ago that I stopped, time to finish it!

dance, hm? i think i might be

tiger child

dance, hm? i think i might be into that.

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

ugh, i used to be so bad

Jacob31593

ugh, i used to be so bad

Re: ugh, i used to be so bad

Avaruussaha

Nail this one and you'll be the dance king... forever!

I've got two waltzy

natenmn

I haven't had a chance to trim my hedges recently. Thanks for visiting anyway...

I've got two waltzy compositions for piano that I recently finished. I've got horrible quality midi files, but I might be able to get my piano instructor to record them. She'll be playing them tomorrow at my school composition recital. Would they be eligible for this contest?

classic nate, trying to cheat

Jacob31593

classic nate, trying to cheat at tune contests by submitting more than one tune!

Re: I've got two waltzy

BigHeadClan

natenmn said

I've got two waltzy compositions for piano that I recently finished. I've got horrible quality midi files, but I might be able to get my piano instructor to record them. She'll be playing them tomorrow at my school composition recital. Would they be eligible for this contest?

If you send me the midi's I have a program that can render most orchestra instruments and you can see how it turns out if you can't get your instructor to record it.

Avaruussaha

Sure, completely fine.

As long as you pick one to represent, one entry to rule them all!

natenmn

I haven't had a chance to trim my hedges recently. Thanks for visiting anyway...

Jacob31593 said

classic nate, trying to cheat at tune contests by submitting more than one tune!

Busted.

Nah, I was gonna enter only one, but post them both just for feedback/fun. Thought I'd seen that in the past in other contest threads, but it's been awhile since I've been around.

Anyways, I had that recital tonight and my piano instructor played them beautifully. Incidentally, a guy from the audio production side of things came over and recorded the whole recital with high quality equipment so that he could gain more experience. I'm not sure when I can get a hold of those recordings, though, so I might just post the midis/mp3s/whatevers.

BigHeadClan said

If you send me the midi's I have a program that can render most orchestra instruments and you can see how it turns out if you can't get your instructor to record it.

Thanks! I really appreciate it and might take you up on that! However, I think it's actually (semi) decent quality mp3 sounds. It's just that it's fake piano, so it lacks the human element which can be very nice with interpretation, dynamics, tempos, etc. I'm not sure. I made it with Sibelius (I have its "high quality" sound pack installed) if anyone is familiar with that program and knows more about this sort of thing.

Ok, I uploaded the crappy

natenmn

Ok, I uploaded the crappy quality ones to Soundcloud since I haven't gotten the recordings yet. I might post them when I get them if anyone is interested.

For fun:

Waltz for Piano

This is my first composition which I finished in late April. Considering that it was my first ever, I'm very happy with it. It was a great learning experience. I'm not sure that the name is as fitting as I would have liked since I usually associate waltzes with the boom-chick-chick rather than Alberti bass, which makes up the majority of this.

It's tonal (though sometimes ambiguous) and focuses on the Neapolitan, as well as a VI-V relationship. I threw in some interesting chords for harmonic flavor, such as a III+, bVI, bIV, augmented 6th chords, and implied secondary dominants. It's primarily in d minor, and modulates to a minor, D Major, and A Major, sometimes focusing on the dominant of the respective keys.

Its form is

• A (consisting of a, b, a, c, a)
  • codetta
  • B (d , e , d)
  • transition
  • A (a, b, a)
  • codetta
  • C (f)
  • transition
  • A (c, a)
  • codetta

So, in a weird way, it's sort of a rondo that gets smaller with every new section.

My submission:

Deprimita Klauno

This is my second composition, and I finished it earlier this month (May).

I used some set theory to help create the scales, chords, and progressions. The scale is an 8 note scale and I modulate to a transposition of it using a common chord modulation. Most of the chords are some wacky inversion of 7th chords, but they don't function as 7th chords. It was really fun to create this one and it was very educational in applying set theory.

I named it Deprimita Klauno, which means depressed clown in Esperanto. Esperanto is a planned auxiliary language, and I felt that it fits with my planned musical system. The grace notes sound kind of like a clown's nose honking.

It is an arch form:

• A (intro)
  • B
  • C
  • B
  • A (outro)

The outro is a reverse progression of the intro and ends by outlining the same chord that it began with.

*Also, if anyone is interested, both of these are easily playable on piano, and I have the sheet music available.*

Totally forgot about this

BigHeadClan

Totally forgot about this contest lol. Will work on it this week should be in by Monday!

Nice, I like how you break

Avaruussaha

Nice, I like how you break them down (I understand some of those words! :P). Commenting on the tracks will have to wait until later.

I actually tried to research a bit about the structure of waltz, but pretty much gave up and went straight to playing something instead. Trying out some Soundfonts mentioned in earlier posts in different topics by tiger child and danteuruzu (I think) was the main goal I guess, but this is where I got the idea for TC58.

Green, green for summer and green for being a newbie.

Hope we'll get some more submissions, extending the deadline for now.

That's really awesome, Ava,

natenmn

That's really awesome, Ava, and very beautiful. I liked some of the more dissonant parts and the contrast it created with the rest.

What program did you use to create it? Are those extra soundfonts kinda like sound packs for the program you're using or something?

I've been using Sibelius for my sheet music, which it is great for, but only the piano sounds will install correctly (and they're not very good lol.) I've been wanting to create something with multiple instruments, like strings, but the sounds don't work for them. Any ideas on different programs that might have more suitable sounds would be much appreciated.

oh shit. i started a track

tiger child

oh shit. i started a track the day you posted the contest and then forgot all about it. it's really mid may already. what the fuck. alright, lemme see what i can do.

----------

-brick road

I use Reaper as my DAW (60

Avaruussaha

I use Reaper as my DAW (60 days 'trial' that never ends. Definetly gonna pay for it when I can, it's very affordable). I search hard for free plugins for all of my sounds (Virtual instruments, effects, Soundfonts and samples other people have recorded). Its been quite a long process.

Exploring Reaper+free plugins would be a good thing to start with I'd say? Nothing to lose.

Ok, cool. I'll look into,

natenmn

Ok, cool. I'll look into, Ava. Thanks for the advice!

I just use midi for all my

hslesperance

I just use midi for all my songs and don't even really know what a DAW is!

But Dante posted this a while back http://www.gametabs.net/forum/topic/20369

That program might be worth checking out. Here are some recommendations by zircon

http://zirconmusic.com/articles/the-best-free-music-software/

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42698

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

Nice submissions Natenmn

BigHeadClan

Nice submissions Natenmn really enjoyed your first submission, I reccommend Dante's post for SFX as well that hsles mentioned. I'll toss a link below with a before & after with SFX.

@Avaruussaha Awesome submission as well sir, did everyone kind of think of Waltz for this topic cause it's also what I
was doing. lol

Thanks to TheDoomOfAllFires for tabbing out the track and making a midi for it.

PS. The track is made from a solo guitar I've made no changes for the rest of the instruments,
I just picked the ones I liked for the song.

One Winged Angel (SFX) -new verison was released you may hear a few differences.
One Wingled Angel (Midi)

Aye the thing hslesperance

Avaruussaha

Aye the thing hslesperance linked is exactly what I was testing (all except the piano sound).

@BigHead well I guess the word waltz did appear in the OP :P Its certainly not a requirement though.

@Avaruussaha hah I guess it

BigHeadClan

@Avaruussaha hah I guess it did, never really picked up on it in the initial read I just had a waltz piece sitting around. lol

I've been playing around with SFX for last 2 weeks, it's fun and sounds great such a small library though. ><

Extension

Lloyde_Sorrow

Greetings good fellows, I plan on entering in the contest and was wondering if I could get a 1-2 day extension? I would be ever so grateful! :)

Yes, we are in waiting mode,

Avaruussaha

Yes, we are in waiting mode, no set deadline for now.

entry entry.

tiger child

1 , 2 , 3 , Beep , Boop , Bleep ~The Grand Robot Ball~

i started this the night you posted the contest. then everyone did waltzes. i thought about swallowing this track, but then what would the androids dance to?

----------

-brick road

I just found some nice

hashel

I just found some nice chords, i'll try to make something quick !
EDIT
Ok i felt some motivation, here it is : The Ancient Dance

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

Some nice submissions

BigHeadClan

Some nice submissions Hashel's reminded me of something from Monster hunter. lol

Yup

Lloyde_Sorrow

Yup, well here it goes. GT's Tune Contest No. 58 - Waltz With Daiman. It's not my best work, but hey! We all have those moments ;)

Touche Lloyde haunting and

BigHeadClan

Touche Lloyde haunting and elegant and the same time, I tip my hat to you.

Update: Well here it is A Midnight Swara rendering and mixing turned into a painful processes, apparently Guitar Pro exports Midi's in a odd way that SFX/Reaper doesn't like. Seems I'm getting worse at writting as time goes on XD

I've noticed that guitar pro

Avaruussaha

I've noticed that guitar pro exported midi includes a bunch of 'midi events' or whatever they are called, which end up resetting some vst/plugin settings when they loop, or something of the sort.

I usually delete all but the actual note 'events' from GP imported stuff (open the midi item, View > Mode: Event list). I suppose it gets a bit harder with bends and whatnots, but theres definetly some weird stuff at the beginning of the event list that can drive one mad.

Since BigHeadClan is the last one who promised to submit stuff, I'll be closing this on Wednesday.

Didn't make it on Wednesday.

Avaruussaha

Didn't make it on Wednesday. Or Thursday either, but here's what I think:

When I think of a dance piece, I'm thinking of rhythm and flow, along with fitting tempo. Two of the submissions really hit the spot for me this time, painting a somewhat vivid scene in my mind.

First, in order of appearance:

natenmn - Deprimita Klauno

It seems like the clown in my mind is too depressed to dance, just barely finding enough motivation to write a few depressing poems. Awesome composition, if you get your hands on those live recordings I'd be really interested in hearing them played.

tiger child - 1 , 2 , 3 , Beep , Boop , Bleep ~The Grand Robot Ball~

Grand buildup and the part past 0:47 is really pretty. Besides imagining a robot ball, I can also bring up an image of an assembly factory machinery springing to life when the personnel leave the site... uhh, yea.

Hashel - The Ancient Dance

Like witnessing someone performing a ritual dance in a hidden forest sanctuary, working his/her magic with rising intensity.

Lloyde_Sorrow - Waltz With Daiman

Quite classy court background music, maybe? A bit stiff, the people with funny wigs are too serious.

BigHeadClan - A Midnight Swara

Slow and relaxing, I'd rather place this between dances to encourage orderly queuing at the punch bowl line.

Conclusion:
Hashel and tiger child struck the 'dance' part the best this time, and I'm picking Hashel to win it all with the magical Pocahontas ritual dance. If you wrote it 'playable', I'd be interested in checking the tab out (if gp6 can export gp5 format) for fun.

Thanks to everyone for participating, great stuff!

cool cool cool, well done

tiger child

cool cool cool, well done everyone!

----------

-brick road

Awesome my song is punch bowl

BigHeadClan

Awesome my song is punch bowl worthy!

Oh and great submissions all.

Wow, that was unexpected

hashel

Wow thanks, that was unexpected o_O
Tiger Child's Grand Robot Ball was my personnal favorite ! It's a really creative song, complete, complexe and with an amazing sound quality.

Mine is like... really repetitive X)
Just a little chord progression with a tempo variation at 1/4 of the song and then a scale change at the 2/3 of the song.

I guess you liked the "tribal" side of the song? ^^ I'm happy cause that was the point, i was picturing a bunch of people dancing in circle around a great fire :)

I'll chose a new theme for the 59th contest a bit late rin the day !
Great job everyone :)

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

Re: Wow, that was unexpected

tiger child

haha! wow, thanks hashel! that's really nice. your track was really pleasing to listen to!

----------

-brick road

Good!

Lloyde_Sorrow

A job well done everyone! And congratulations to hashel!