You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Recommend Me a Laptop

archard

I need a new computer, and I wanna get a laptop since it will make things a lot easier with school and whatnot.

Here are my requirements:

- must have a good CPU and a good amount of RAM. I run a lot of heavy duty programs at the same time
- graphics card doesn't matter, I don't really play games
- hard drive doesn't need to be that big, I'd be more than happy with 80GB or so
- must have wireless internet capabilities
- don't care about screen size
- dvd-rw drive would be nice, but not neccesary

I'm looking to spend around 1,000 USD, though I can be little lenient there.

I'm hoping someone here could recommend me either a specific laptop, or a site with really great deals. I'm shocked at how cheap computers are nowadays. I bought my current PC 3 years ago, which is a desktop, and now I can buy a MUCH better LAPTOP for the same price. It's crazy.

Re: Recommend Me a Laptop

Krimson

Much nerdy love

There are two sites to go to if you're looking for cheap, quality computer parts/computers: newegg.com and tigerdirect.com.

Tiger Direct, so I've heard, has horrible customer service/return policies (if, for instance, you get the product and it doesn't work, it's hell to pay to return it), but Newegg.com is pretty highly renowned in all respects. Tiger Direct is, in my experience, cheaper though, so it's a matter of preference. I've seen some good laptops similar to the one you described priced at about $600 in Tiger Direct's e-mail advertisements, and I imagine Newegg would have some similar laptops at about the same price or maybe a little higher.

Hope this helps!

archard

Thanks, that helps quite a bit.

What do you think are some of the better manufacturers? I've been doing quite a bit of research and it seems Lenovo/IBM, Apple and Dell are the top tier manufacturers. Lenovo and Apple are more on the expensive side, though, especially Apple. In fact Apple is outrageously expensive if you ask me. Dell seems like a good option but they seem a little too "mainstream" to me. Maybe I'm wrong though. Acer laptops seem to have quite good specs for their price, but can be made kinda cheaply. Same with Asus. I think I might go with a Dell.....

----------

DANG

yoshistrings

ヨッシー

For the sorts of things you'd probably use it for, a mac would be well worth the price. I'm definitely going to get a mac when I buy a new computer.

Krimson

Much nerdy love

I worked in IT for a bit (workstudy) back at my last school, and I heard that Acer does have some sucky stuff on the market. I have a personal grudge against Gateway as the past 2 or 3 of their PCs I've used have just been horrible (countless problems). Dell's my recommendation. Never had a problem with Dell in my personal use or working IT for that matter.

I've never really played around with Macs, though everyone I've ever talked to who had one said they loved it.

nozzie

The talkbox guy.

Get a MacBook PRO http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/ you won't be disappointed

----------

Voila! In view humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the “vox populi” now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygon

archard

My friend swears by the Mac but even he admits they're way overpriced. The cheapest Macbook is 1100 dollars, and it's nothing compared to the kind of PC you can get at that price.

I think I'm gonna go with a Lenovo. They're a little more expensive then Dells but I've found some coupons, plus they have a student discount. From talking to a friend who has 2 Dells, he said they're a nightmare to deal with cause of all the bs software that comes preinstalled on it. That's not something I want.

----------

DANG

rancidfetus

Classical Metalhead

It's a shame you can't request laptops with XP anymore.Still, go for the windows laptops. Macbooks are for trendy hipsters.

Krimson

Much nerdy love

I hate the mandatory software that comes with PCs/laptops. I'd rather just build my own :geek:

carman

http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=NBB

Check other sites for good deals I'd suggest building your own, or customizing one I should say.. unless your advanced enough to fucking build your own laptop. But yeah, cool, I dont like laptops so I just tried to throw out some cheapo's (in price not quality, more or less)

blank

glitteringprizes

Apple pff, Personally I hate them, and since you're looking to spend around 1,000 USD, stay away from them. Dell is iffy, I used one of the more primative ones for school and you can get what you're looking for spec wise for under a grand, but they tend to act up in the long run. Acer is more-or less the brand that makes a laptop anyone can afford, so don't expect something magnificent.

Lenovo is good, although you could get the same out of an HP. The Compaq 6820 is the one I currently own and it's loaded with an Intel Celeron M550 (2.0 GHz), 2GB of DDR2, and a 160GB HDD, and look at that! DVD+RW :o lol, I bought it for around $780.00, that's with shipping.
You could find the same thing for around that price on Lenovo but the cheaper they are (especially with Lenovo) the shittier the CPU, but hey...what do I know...I use to work for Best Buy haha.

----------

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

archard

How are HPs in terms of how they come configured with software? One of the reasons I don't wanna get a dell is because I hear about how it comes with so many useless proprietary programs by default, and it's difficult to change the operating system and what not.

----------

DANG

Krimson

Much nerdy love

Oh be careful about what processor it uses too. AMD processors tend to run a little hotter than Intel's (but they're insanely cheaper). An overheating laptop is not a pretty sight...

blank

glitteringprizes

HP's aren't too bad when it comes to pre-installed software. Mine came with the usual shit that takes a few minutes to get rid of. Much better than Dell though, in my opinion. When I worked at Best Buy, I was told that Windows compatible computers that came with XP would have less pre-installed shit on it than one with Vista.

Krimson is right though, AMD's do overheat faster than Intel...but most HP models (The one I'm referring to in particular) is Intel based. Besides, whatever route you choose in terms of Processor, either one would be good for atleast 3 to 4 years (That is, if you take care of it).

----------

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

archard

What would you say is the most friendly laptop to someone who does a lot of programming and whatnot and doesn't want any of the typical software intended for computer noobs. If it was a desktop I'd probably just build it myself, but I don't really know how to do this with a laptop and I don't wanna take any chances. I just want a blank slate basically.

----------

DANG

blank

glitteringprizes

Haha, then deffinetaly stay far away from a Mac :lol:
Have you thought about buying a Laptop without an OS? Yeah it might be a pain-in the ass, but you'll have the bare minimum, check this out when you have a chance. http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/23168/

Too be brutally honest, I don't think you'll be able to find a laptop without atleast one dumbass piece of software. I know some companies allow you to choose what comes on it and what doesn't, but it all depends on where you get your Laptop from. Alienware does that, they allow you to customize everything, but they get pricey...still..cheaper than Apple in my book.

I've sold Acers to people, a few of them had nothing more than just Music Subscription or an Internet provider software. Only thing is....Acer isn't your best choice for high-end programming. I would suggest an HP bro, with XP. You'll get the least amount of crap, better memory performance (because Vista loves to eat that memory Mmmmm), and XP goes hand in hand with programming.

----------

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

archard

Unfortunately it seems like all PCs are coming preinstalled with Vista these days :( I guess I can just reformat it though.

I was gonna go with Lenovo but they are kind of on the pricey side and I've heard some bad things about their customer service and whatnot. I'll look into HP. How are they on hardware customization, do you now? I know some of the Lenovo models are completely fixed and I'm not down with that.

----------

DANG

blank

glitteringprizes

Haha, I've never heard the term "fixed" being applied to a computer. Mmm, Vista is bad...it's like the one guy who always says sorry.

What would you change? The latest models of HPs are quite acceptable on customizing, but nothing farther than HDD, or ram. Since Laptops are going with the crowd too, and becoming more flasy...they sacrifice customization for the "goodies" Pfff, like you really need a remote for your PC -.-". Anyways....mabye you should just look into buying custom instead. Almost every brand that was mentioned has a site that you can view a custom status report on the laptop.

Man...this is why I love my Desktop. :lol:

----------

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

archard

I just don't wanna be stuck with one of those PCs that force you to use all their proprietary junk. I like having the freedom to do whatever the hell I want, even if I don't want to do anything :)

----------

DANG

blank

glitteringprizes

Haha...well I'm sure you'll be fine with whatever you do decide to get (NOT MAC Argggggh). I'm sure you'll know what Laptops will have the most useless crap on it. You can't run from it =/ At times I wish you could...ah well, half of the crap can be removed in 10 minutes anyways.

----------

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

CpxAzn

Lurker

Sager NP2092
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np2092-cus ... figure=yes

No need for me to say anymore.

archard

What do you think is a good clock speed for a laptop? It seems like theres a distinct cut off point in price between 1.83Ghz and 2.0/2.1Ghz. Is there really much of a difference between those two, especially if you have a lot of RAM?

----------

DANG

Krimson

Much nerdy love

I wouldn't think so. I think the difference will only really be seen in the programs that take like 3 hours to compile...hopefully not a solo project on your part :)

Have you considered maybe buying a used laptop in good condition and a blank harddrive and working from there? I guess it'd depend on if you could find a good deal (on both) or not...

carman

Dont get vista its garbage. Windows is trying its hardest to make people use vista so they can pretend to like it. Epic phale

blank

glitteringprizes

All the techy geeks (The bad ones....) will go on and on about how you should go with a 2.0/2.1GHz, rather than a 1.8GHz.

In all honesty, a 1.8GHz with atleast 2GB of RAM would be just as efficient. I remember when 1.7GHz in desktops were the standard...but it seems with the release of this ridiculous Core 2 Duo shit, and even Quad...the new standard is 2.0GHz. Vista is bad, yes......but it's not that bad. It reminds me of the OS for Mac....just super friendly and made for people who can't navigate a pooper GUI, yes...pooper.

I used a 1.8GHz when I was writing scripts in C for an online game, not to mention that I had to compile it in an .AMX format. It was fine, it had 2GB of RAM, so It made up for itself in performance. It's alot cheaper to go with 1.8GHz, but if it's high-end programming you're after...go with 2.0GHz. By the by....what do you program?

----------

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

blank

glitteringprizes

Opps, forget to mention:

When I was using that PC with 1.8GHz, I would overclock it when I needed the extra Ompf. So in reality...I had the ability to make it run like a 2.0GHz or better (Never better....I don't push it haha).

----------

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

archard

So I went to look at some laptops in person today, and I have to say that the track pad on HP laptops sucks so bad that I don't even want to get one. It's sooo bad. It feels like someone spilled some soda on it or something. I can't even stand it.

I'm thinking about getting an Acer now. The track pad on those is awesome, and the only bad thing I've heard about them is that their build quality is kind of poor, but they come at a really good price.

----------

DANG

blank

glitteringprizes

Haha, aw man....That sucks, Dunno what it is about my HP, but it's all smooth. Oh well, good thing you went in person and checked it out.

----------

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Krimson

Much nerdy love

You probably know this but be sure to check the warranty information on whatever you decide to buy. I had 3 PC parts burn out on me a couple months back (thankfully all under warranty)...so nightmares do happen.

archard

"blank" posted:

Haha, aw man....That sucks, Dunno what it is about my HP, but it's all smooth. Oh well, good thing you went in person and checked it out.

Have you ever compared it to say an Acer, or a Mac? The HPs are like ruberized. It's so hard to use. I don't think it was just the models they had there either.

What model of HP do you have anyway? Do you like it?

----------

DANG

blank

glitteringprizes

I don't do Macs....period. I've used them...I just don't like them.
I have nothing against Acer at all, but in comparison, of an Acer to my HP (btw, it's a Compaq 6820) I think my HP is far better. Then again that's just in my taste, if I had the money I'd buy an Alienware haha.

Yes, It may feel...stiff, but after a few days I liked it...that almost rugged feel to it. Aside from "feel", The specs are great, they can get the job done and then some...I listed the specs on this particular model on page 2, I think (of this thread). I really can't complain about this Laptop, it by far beats any other one I have owned. Although if you don't like something about it, don't buy it! Lol, that's alot of money that is going to be spent on a machine, so I understand the need for comfort and performance.

If you are intrested in Acer though, try checking out the Aspire 5920. I remember selling one of those...it was rather beefy too. The one in particular I sold was:
Core 2 Duo T5550 (1.8GHz), 3GB of DDR2, and the stock HDD was 250GB. There were a bunch of other little features...I can't remember them all, but it did have 802.11agb wireless and built in microphone and webcam. The price it was listed at was like...8-hundo. Not too shabby...Like I said, I personally have nothing against Acer, I would get one if I didn't have a laptop atm because they are so cheap. Only reason I bought this HP is because I got it at a discount price :lol:

----------

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

My current "laptop" is a six year old Dell that I had gotten for free due to the monitor being cracked; it used to run deathly slow (although partially due to all the shovelware and spyware my sister had on there) due to its 512 MB RAM so I just chucked another GB in there and it runs perfectly now. CPU clocks at 1.4 GHz, graphics card is non-existent (integrated graffix controller), yet I was still able to have up Firefox, Chatzilla, Mumble, and Quake III simultaneously with no slowdown on Ubuntu 8.04.

With a laptop, building one is out of the question. It's much more difficult to do and much more expensive. Overclocking is pretty much impossible too. I'd advice staying clear of a Mac for many reasons, notably the jacked-up prices and lack of customization.

Although, you can customize a Mac Pro on the Apple Store; I did it and the max cost was $29,000.

archard

Just picked up this beast :)

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acer-AS6 ... tDetail.do

----------

DANG

archard

And now Im posting from that beast. Man I can't wait to get rid of Vista.

----------

DANG

archard

Wow, just found out Acer doesn't supply any XP drivers........ it means I have to basically hunt down individual drivers for all the components of the computer and hope they work. Wow. That blows. Does anyone know of any sites or anything that can help me out?

----------

DANG

atukomanga

Shiny/Glowy object collector

What you need to do is scrap windows altogether and run Linux with windows mods. This way you can run an OS that doesn't suck, but you can have all the fun programs. I've used one ever since the 4th destruction of XP in a 5 month period, and have never looked back. I also have a mac, but I use that solely for iTunes and Maya.

----------

ウイル ワツク フォオ アニメ クラツプ
Will Work for Anime Crap

archard

"atukomanga" posted:

What you need to do is scrap windows altogether and run Linux with windows mods. This way you can run an OS that doesn't suck, but you can have all the fun programs. I've used one ever since the 4th destruction of XP in a 5 month period, and have never looked back. I also have a mac, but I use that solely for iTunes and Maya.

Can you tell me more about the whole linux thing? I've always been curious about it but never really knew what to do.

----------

DANG

archard

Wow.... all that stuff I said about having a computer that doesn't come with a lot of crap preinstalled and is customizeable.... this Acer is like the EXACT opposite of that. I have never seen or heard of more crap come preinstalled on anything before. There is so much useless, resource hogging bs on this laptop I just can't believe it. A lot of it you can't get rid of too.

To top it off, the only way I can use XP is if I jump through a bunch of hoops and do a bunch of shit to the PC that I'm not comfortable doing. And even then, a lot of the things that came with it I won't be able to use (webcam, fingerprint scanner, microphone, cool ass entertainment touchpad console, etc). This blows. I'm returning it tomorrow. Fuck Acer. They make good cheap laptops but they screw you with how they proprietize it.

----------

DANG

Krimson

Much nerdy love

Arhcard! Think I found a site you might like. Click "expert" customization down at the bottom and you can choose everything from the operating system to the color of the shell (for an extra $195.00...wtf...).

http://laptops.overam.com/overam-mirage ... aptops.php

I put in the specs you mentioned you were looking for at the beginning of this thread, and it came out to about $1220. Seems like a pretty good deal to me (if you keep the optional stuff to a minimum), but I don't know anything about the manufacturer. Anyone ever dealt with Mirages before?

CpxAzn

Lurker

Aww, you shoulda got the Sager NP2092 that I recommended before

Here's the link if you forgot

For about $100 more, you could have gotten a way better LCD with better viewing angles and higher resolution, a 2.1ghz Penryn processor which is 45nm (produces less heat, newer technology), and a nvidia 8600GT vga card that blows your acer's integrated graphics away. But you do get less hard drive space unless you chip in more.

Anyways, I think you should keep vista on your laptop, since it's already 64bit to support your 4gb of ram. You don't want XP 64bit because it sucks. Vista isn't bad if you tweak it right and get rid of all of the Mac wannabe interfaces. I didn't like vista at first but it isn't all that bad once you get use to it.

Also, you mentioned some stuff that you can't get rid of on your comp, tell me what that is and I might be able to help you get rid of it.

archard

"CpxAzn" posted:

Aww, you shoulda got the Sager NP2092 that I recommended before

Here's the link if you forgot

For about $100 more, you could have gotten a way better LCD with better viewing angles and higher resolution, a 2.1ghz Penryn processor which is 45nm (produces less heat, newer technology), and a nvidia 8600GT vga card that blows your acer's integrated graphics away. But you do get less hard drive space unless you chip in more.

Anyways, I think you should keep vista on your laptop, since it's already 64bit to support your 4gb of ram. You don't want XP 64bit because it sucks. Vista isn't bad if you tweak it right and get rid of all of the Mac wannabe interfaces. I didn't like vista at first but it isn't all that bad once you get use to it.

Also, you mentioned some stuff that you can't get rid of on your comp, tell me what that is and I might be able to help you get rid of it.

Actually the screen on this Acer is REALLY nice and I like it a lot. It's super bright and crystal clear and just looks great. Also the sound is amazing. I rarely ever play games though, so I don't really care much for a nice graphics card. I actually do like Vista's interface a lot. There's quite a few good things about it, but it's so frustrating that so many things don't work properly on it. For example, the program I use to work on this site, Xampp, simply does not work in Vista. All of Vista's stupid access control mechanisms just won't allow the program to do what it needs to do and there isn't a clear way to fix the problem. I hate bs like that. I think I might have been a little hard on Acer though. The laptop itself is really nice, but all the Vista nonsense just ticks me off.

I managed to get a dual boot of Vista and XP going, which was easier than I thought because my hard drive came pre-partitioned and all I had to do was install XP on the blank partition. I had to use nLite to slip stream some drivers into my XP installation disc though cause the setup wouldnt recognize my SATA hard drive. I think I'm okay with this laptop as long as I can have Vista and XP installed at the same time. That way I get the best of both worlds.

I still might return it though, cause there's a few things about this laptop I don't like. For example the CPU (or maybe it's the hard drive) constantly makes like ticky noises even when it's not doing anything resource intensive. Even if I check the CPU usage it never goes above 5%. But still it sounds like the CPU is working hard for no particular reason, and the blue LED light that indicates the hard drive is being used usually comes on when it does that. Makes me think something is wrong with it.

What sucks though is that I just read that Circuit City charges you a 15% restocking fee for returned items. That means I'll have to pay like 150 bucks just to return it. I really don't wanna do that. Otherwise I might buy that Sager you posted.

----------

DANG

CpxAzn

Lurker

If your hard drive is working hard, its probably one of the services running, and I think it's superfetch, which I turned turned off on my laptop.

I'll give you a list of services that I disabled in services.msc
-Bluetooth Support Service (I don't use bluetooth)
-Desktop Window Manager Session Manager
-IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules
-Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
-IPsec Policy Agent
-KtmRm for Distributed Transaction Coordinator
-Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service
-Offline Files
-Parental Controls
-Ready Boost
-Remote Registry
-Routing and Remote Access
-Secondary Logon (Only if you only have 1 User)
-Security Center
-Super Fetch
-Tablet PC Input Service
-Terminal Services
-Windows Defender
-Windows Error Reporting Service
-Windows Firewall
-Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
-Windows Media Center Extender Service
-Windows Media Center Receiver Service
-Windows Media Center Scheduler Launcher
-Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
-Windows Search (I never use search)
Of course you don't want to disable everything I did, read the description first before you do.

Xampp is a website editor? I thought it was a website hosting program. Do you have any idea what part of it isn't working?

archard

Xampp is a web hosting program. I use it to run all the things I have on my server like Apache, PHP and MySQL on my own machine so I can test things in a controlled environment. I don't know how I ever lived without it.

Thanks for that list, I'll be using it for sure.

----------

DANG

CpxAzn

Lurker

So can you even get apache running or do you get an error message? Not sure how xampp works but I used to use easyphp.

archard

It runs, but it doesn't work. Vista thinks it's malicious software or something. Disabling all the useless security tools doesn't help either. I looked all over the Xampp forums and whatnot and everyone's reporting the same things basically.

----------

DANG

CpxAzn

Lurker

Weird, I had no problem getting it to work. Can you be more specific about what problem you're having?

archard

Now try running an actual web application like Drupal or phpBB. All went well for me until I tried doing something with a real application. It always redirects you to Xampp's front page because it doesn't like whatever Apache/Filezilla is doing.

----------

DANG

CpxAzn

Lurker

Lol, I duno, I had no problems getting that to work either. I'll get a screenshot up in a sec.

archard

Does it work if you use localhost instead of 127.0.0.1? That's what I was doing... so maybe that's why. If not, can you tell me what kind of security features you have set up? I think it was something from Vista blocking it.

----------

DANG

CpxAzn

Lurker

Yeah, localhost works. I really don't have any security features on. I turned everything off in Security Center and disabled Security Center itself. Do you still have User Account Control on? To turn that off, do start->run->cmd->msconfig and go to the tools tab. Search for Disable UAC and click launch and restart your laptop. Also make you are administrator. You can also try to disable firewall and some other stuff that I listed in my other post in your services.

archard

Well I finally got a working dual boot of XP and Vista going. I tried installing Xampp on XP and surprisingly I was getting some of the same bs I got on Vista. It was wierd. But I did get it to work, and I think I know what I was doing wrong in Vista. Maybe I should just give Vista a chance, lol.

----------

DANG