You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Do you still play RPGs? - page 2

Re: I try to, I just feel like I

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

well when i say waste of time i don't mean the game itself is a waste of time. i mean i can't help but think of the 100 other things I should be doing besides playing a video game.

TheDophine

Kabukibear said

well when i say waste of time i don't mean the game itself is a waste of time. i mean i can't help but think of the 100 other things I should be doing besides playing a video game.

lol, that's exactly thing I was thinking. Honestly, that's the reason why I decided to pick up guitar, all the hours I used to play games now = guitar time. I can't imagine the number of decent musicians we would have if all those who played guitarhero/rockband actually played their real counterpart.

Though, it's a little discouraging now, since I have a feeling once college starts, I'll have little to no time to practice anymore (Though of course you make your time, but still, a liability will only help you so much.)

MassTheMono

Feast With Me

Dophine,

In college, you'll find that you have a million more hours to spare than you expect to have now. Trust me. ;)

MTM (Brandon)

well as of right now I dont

Vic9mm

The Fingerstyle Mechanic

well as of right now I dont think i could go back and play Final Fantasy IV V or VI not because there a waste of time but to me I just dont have the patience I use to have walking every 5-7 steps and fighting a random battle just gets annoying after you hit a certin age I guess. I love Final Fantasy IV that was my first RPG I beat all the way through but I have developed an even deeper love for Chrono Trigger why that game put such an impact on me i dont really know but I always have a great time playing it. The RPGs of today lack something I watch my cousin playing FFX and FF12 and im just amazed how shitty the games are no sense of direction, no real reason, no imagination and no backbone for support. Its like squaresoft just gave up. At least the music is still great.

----------

Watch me: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vic9mm

Re: well as of right now I dont

MassTheMono

Feast With Me

I can still deal with FF VI, but CT was definitely an upgrade to the genre. I wish there were more games like that. But, on a positive note, you're absolutely right about the music, Vic. Let's hope they don't lose that too.

... maybe I should write a video game. ?... I never really considered it before. Hmm...

MTM (Brandon)

Re: Do you still play RPGs?

Divine Metaphysics

I still remember long hours of frustrations and supreme happiness while playing The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

And just went trough Mass Effect.

I find that I play fewer RPGs

Binarynova

I find that I play fewer RPGs now. I'd like to say it's because my tastes have changed and I've become pickier. But really it's a matter of time. Between work, other hobbies, and yes, online games, I don't have a lot of time to devote to many of the things I was did.

At the same time, I can still go back and play certain RPGs. Like I really want to finish Final Fantasy V, and the random battles and job grinding won't stop me I think. Even Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger, each of which I have played through at least a dozen times, can still call me back to the fold. And certain recent games really grabbed my attention and wouldn't let go. I'm looking at you Lost Odyssey.

What's odd though, is that while I can play those RPGs just fine, I can't for the life of me finish Dragon Quest VIII. Something about the pacing of the random battles, or something. I don't know. But it sits unfinished. And so it shall for a while, since I know it's been so long I'd almost have to start over (I really wasn't too far I think). Same thing with Tales of Vesperia. There it sits, gathering dust. Maybe it's because they are anime-inspired games and I'm growing tired of the same old anime cliches. *shrug* That's a whole other topic.

nah

kartmen

to say "great new rpg" is an oxymoron. There is no such thing. Dragon Quest VII was the last great rpg. I no longer play any video games because I have more important things to do, namely learning the songs from great games. I tried to play FF7 and Zelda again, but I just can't do it. I lose interest way too fast.

I can play Chrono Trigger infinitely, though I just don't from lack of time.

Re: nah

Binarynova

kartmen said

to say "great new rpg" is an oxymoron. There is no such thing.

To each their own. I'm a pretty emotional person. I have no problem admitting that a good book or movie can move me to tears. Sobbing tears. But until recently I had never had that happen to me while playing a video game.

Lost Odyssey was amazing. I was emotionally invested in each of the characters like I've never been before. Not even the scene in FFVII moved me to tears. I'd never had an experience like that playing a video game before and I doubt I'll have one like it again soon. Lost Odyssey is, imo, a great RPG.

x fox x

The pokemon addict

Lloyd84 said

of curse i still play RPGs my first RPG was Tales of symphonia and i love that game, i have played some RPGs of tales as well... and i cant wait for the release of tales of symphonia 2

Tales 2 for the Wii? That came out FOREVER ago. I beat it a couple time and to say the truth i like Tales ofVesperia and Tales of Abyss better. Symphonia attracts too many "fanboys" to the tales series.

----------

~Fox...aka the guy who has more free time during the school year than summer vacation >.>

Me and my friend use to play

Black91crx

Me and my friend use to play FFVII for days at a time back in high school. Heck, we skipped school all the time to play games like Final fantasy, Xenogears, Metal Gear Solid, Resident evil, Silent hill...etc. I miss those days SO much. Oh well...

Most of the RPGs you're

uranutan

Most of the RPGs you're mentioning aren't role-playing games, they're interactive storybooks with battles. RPGs actually let you role-play, not just control a pre-defined character with a preset personality who makes all the decisions for you. See Fallout 3.

random_noob

Vic9mm said

well as of right now I dont think i could go back and play Final Fantasy IV V or VI not because there a waste of time but to me I just dont have the patience I use to have walking every 5-7 steps and fighting a random battle just gets annoying after you hit a certin age I guess. I love Final Fantasy IV that was my first RPG I beat all the way through but I have developed an even deeper love for Chrono Trigger why that game put such an impact on me i dont really know but I always have a great time playing it. The RPGs of today lack something I watch my cousin playing FFX and FF12 and im just amazed how shitty the games are no sense of direction, no real reason, no imagination and no backbone for support. Its like squaresoft just gave up. At least the music is still great.

how the fuck can you call FFX (best FF apart from 9) shitty? And say you like 1-6? 1-6 are good if you are a pokemon nerd, but 10 is a real game, you say that on a real forum and you'd get trashed.

Sivart

random_noob said

how the fuck can you call FFX (best FF apart from 9) shitty? And say you like 1-6? 1-6 are good if you are a pokemon nerd, but 10 is a real game, you say that on a real forum and you'd get trashed.

I'd have to disagree on that one, man. I go to a number of forums and I can't think of a single one with a large userbase of people who enjoy Final Fantasy X FOR IT'S STORY. Don't get me wrong, the removal of the ATB system to give us a polished turn-based fighting system is nice, but Tidus was too much of a whiny boy to be taken seriously (and those incredibly awkward scenes mostly between Yuna and Tidus? D:). I could go into a forum praising FFX and get trashed for enjoying the story.

this is a serious discussion

Jacob31593

this is a serious discussion right herrrr

random_noob

The story was so in depth! Tidus was whiny? Yes on occasion but what about when he was the hero fighting? Like when Yuna is at the wedding and he leads the troops from the airship! How wouldyou like it if your whole life just got destroyed by a massive water ball then you get washed up 1000 years later on some random shore?

Sivart

Oh sure, I'd be upset, but I wouldn't spend half my time complaining about my dad. When Tidus wasn't complaining about Spira he was complaining about his dad, and when he wasn't complaining about his dad he was complaining about Seymour, and when he wasn't complaining about Seymour he was complaining about Yuna's pilgrimage, and when he wasn't complaining about her pilgrimage he was complaining about Zanarkand.

I can understand why he's upset but there comes to be a point where it's a bit too much. There's a point in the game where he isn't so intolerable because he accepts his fate in Spira but that is short-lived as he soon finds out Yuna will die.

Look, I love the game, I really do, but after playing through it once I have to skip as many scenes as possible because it's just unpleasant.

SalemJeanette

Save Your Tears.

random_noob said

The story was so in depth!

lol

----------

23:33 Vic9mm said: its ture ida benn gone she took out like 3 kids before had what was that fat ass asian kid gonna do

Little J.

Why are you guys even

TrangOul

Insomaniac

Why are you guys even arguing? Isn't obvious that random_noob is a mere troll? Just look at his username >__>

Yes. In fact, I now play more RPGs than I used to (except pokemon... I used to play that more often)