You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Is your guitar a male or a female?

Takoon

Section Leader

I'm a female, so my guitar's male. I thought that was natural, but my friends said that it doesn't matter what gender your guitar is.

Re: Is your guitar a male or a female?

Rick

Unusual

I thought cars and guitars were always girls

I don't know about everything else

----------

I opened one box of cereal only to find a totally different bag of cereal inside... such is life

archard

I believe in designating all inanimate objects as female. Boats, cars, guitars.. always female.

----------

DANG

Takoon

Section Leader

"archard" posted:

I believe in designating all inanimate objects as female. Boats, cars, guitars.. always female.

Ah, but is that because you're a male? Or because all inanimate objects are female, regardless of the user's gender?

"Rick" posted:

I thought cars and guitars were always girls

Well, my car's a male too...or rather a masculine form called "The Beast."

----------

"Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and, instead of bleeding, he sings."

Seto

Harmonian Bishop

We always refer to them as 'she' ever since so i guess..

I name my acoustic Era and my classical Sonya. :)

archard

"Takoon" posted:

Ah, but is that because you're a male? Or because all inanimate objects are female, regardless of the user's gender?

All inanimate objects are always female regardless of the user's gender. At least when it's something valuable like an instrument, a car, or particularly a boat. That's how I've been brought up, anyway. Maybe it's a cultural thing.

----------

DANG

Takoon

Section Leader

"archard" posted:

All inanimate objects are always female regardless of the user's gender. At least when it's something valuable like an instrument, a car, or particularly a boat. That's how I've been brought up, anyway. Maybe it's a cultural thing.

You could be right about the cultural thing. No one has ever told me either way what's right, but if you think of your car or guitar as your soulmate or lover, you would want them to be the opposite sex in most cases.

With a boat, I agree that it's female.

----------

"Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and, instead of bleeding, he sings."

DuoDn

I ono I think mines a transvestite

As for my guitar, I've always thought of it as a girl. Her name is lucy! :D
But for my keyboard, I've always thought of it as a guy. And I named him Sycthe.

But yeah, When I see a car or something (that hasen't been named) I always refure to it as a girl. I guess cuz that's what hear people say(normally).

And No, I would not think of my guitar as a soulmate or lover - cuz that's just freaky! :?

Yuki

I haven't really even thought about a gender yet a name for my guitar.
But if i do it will have to be an epic name :P

Takoon

Section Leader

"jessejr13" posted:

But for my keyboard, I've always thought of it as a guy. And I named him Sycthe.

But yeah, When I see a car or something (that hasen't been named) I always refure to it as a girl. I guess cuz that's what hear people say(normally).

And No, I would not think of my guitar as a soulmate or lover - cuz that's just freaky! :?

I didn't mean for it to be weird! :lol: I just mean that your guitar is like a person, and always very close to you. Like a very close friend, or your significant other. Not ACTUALLY your significant other, or thinking of it like that normally. ^ ^;; I'm not making this any better for myself.

Anyway, that's cool that you just happen to think of your guitar as a girl, and your keyboard as a guy.

----------

Rick

Unusual

The only reference I can make to "prove" (I really don't care) inanimate objects are female is cause that one car creator guy made his car's grill look like a vagina

And that was his reasoning

If that's not concrete Idk what is

But all in all, who cares? Make it what you want :p

----------

I opened one box of cereal only to find a totally different bag of cereal inside... such is life

Takoon

Section Leader

"Rick" posted:

The only reference I can make to "prove" (I really don't care) inanimate objects are female is cause that one car creator guy made his car's grill look like a vagina

But all in all, who cares? Make it what you want :p

Oh. Well, isn't that nice. *lol* Maybe you're right. If I see my guitar as a guy, it should be that. It's definitely interesting to think about though.

----------

Emo-frog4

Video Game Addict

I named my acoustic guitar, a female, Carol. Yes, I know there's an inside reference in there. Unfortunately, she is in need of dire surgery, because of some bad string transfers to Xaphod. That's my electric. I named my keyboard Gabriella. :ugeek:

----------

[color=#804000:3owszekh]If a person with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is it considered a hostage situation?[/color:3owszekh]

nivlek

I don't think it really matters, I refer to both my guitars as "it".

"Takoon" posted:

"jessejr13" posted:

I didn't mean for it to be weird! :lol: I just mean that your guitar is like a person, and always very close to you. Like a very close friend, or your significant other. Not ACTUALLY your significant other, or thinking of it like that normally. ^ ^;; I'm not making this any better for myself.

Anyway, that's cool that you just happen to think of your guitar as a girl, and your keyboard as a guy.

Haha, Ok! lol I see were your coming from. It's like a special relationship between you and your guitar, and that's why we name our instruments in the first place! ;)

Java

I am the Passenger

I refer to inanimate objects as female only because females look better, sound better, and are generally more interesting to me.
I named my electric Vera, as a reference to a Pink Floyd song.

Seto

Harmonian Bishop

"nivlek" posted:

I don't think it really matters, I refer to both my guitars as "it".

You must be really sad.. *sniff*

*lol*

atukomanga

Shiny/Glowy object collector

I just recently got a new Fender American Stratocaster...and I haven't thought of a name for it. I've always considered my guitars, cars, video game consoles, computers (I name a lot of things) girls, but I'm having a hard time naming this one. It's red starburst design, and I play mostly metal and classic rock, with occasional alt and punk, depending on my mood. Anyone got something original? I've had guitars in the past named Eva, Joan, Samantha, Josephine, Kariana, Katie, and (because the day I bought it came on the same day I bought the game) Yuffie.

----------

ウイル ワツク フォオ アニメ クラツプ
Will Work for Anime Crap

Waladuz

Der Kritiker

I really can't decide it's gender...
I sometimes refer to my guitar as "Die Verstimmte", which is in German grammer a female, but in the other hand I sometimes say "Pass him (the guitar) over".

----------

"Yo, buddy...still alive?" - Larry "Pixy" Foulke

Takoon

Section Leader

"jessejr13" posted:

Haha, Ok! lol I see were your coming from. It's like a special relationship between you and your guitar, and that's why we name our instruments in the first place! ;)

Yeah, exactly! I'm glad you understand me.

"atukomanga" posted:

I just recently got a new Fender American Stratocaster...and I haven't thought of a name for it. I've always considered my guitars, cars, video game consoles, computers (I name a lot of things) girls, but I'm having a hard time naming this one. It's red starburst design, and I play mostly metal and classic rock, with occasional alt and punk, depending on my mood. Anyone got something original? I've had guitars in the past named Eva, Joan, Samantha, Josephine, Kariana, Katie, and (because the day I bought it came on the same day I bought the game) Yuffie.

Wow. That's impressive that you name so many kinds of things! I usually just refer to my computers as either "Compy" or "Lappy" (obviously depending on which one I'm using). As far as your guitar, you should name it something a little more epic (considering its epic picture in my mind). Juliette?

"Waladuz" posted:

I really can't decide it's gender...
I sometimes refer to my guitar as "Die Verstimmte", which is in German grammer a female, but in the other hand I sometimes say "Pass him (the guitar) over".

*lol* That's awesome. "The Female."

----------

La guitarra: female.

Case closed.

Devandra

Dark Jesus

I think my guitar is transexual. His name is "Winter".
A groovy female body and a long powerful stick. ;)

atukomanga

Shiny/Glowy object collector

"atukomanga" posted:

"Takoon" posted:

Wow. That's impressive that you name so many kinds of things! I usually just refer to my computers as either "Compy" or "Lappy" (obviously depending on which one I'm using). As far as your guitar, you should name it something a little more epic (considering its epic picture in my mind). Juliette?

Juliette huh? ...maybe. I'm not really feeling it though. sounds a bit too girly for the riffs I've been playing on it. It's a good name, just not for this guitar.

"Devandra" posted:

I think my guitar is transexual. His name is "Winter".
A groovy female body and a long powerful stick. ;)

That's....disturbing.

----------

ウイル ワツク フォオ アニメ クラツプ
Will Work for Anime Crap

mlw08

zidzy

Mine is a female... 8-)

wako-kun

MM tabber

My electric guitars, are female but my acoustic is a guy... (His name is henry)
It's really obvious when you see him. A real man!

"atukomanga" posted:

I'm having a hard time naming this one. It's red starburst design, and I play mostly metal and classic rock, with occasional alt and punk, depending on my mood. Anyone got something original?

Well I bet there's plenty of good names BUT...
I prefer naming my own things to give it a personal touch... I think it feels better later.
But It's just a tip, I'd name it Paffy i think....

----------

I'm 'alternative' because everyone else is...

Cafitz

i'm a guy, and my guitars have always been dudes. My old Tele was Prof.Nuttincakes (which i guess could be female) and my American Deluxe HSS Stratocaster is named Trevor. But, i think it could be either.

isafos

Nice knobs, but I'm pretty sure it's an it. :mrgreen:

PLZKLLME0080

The WhtDrgn

Mine is a girl. I named her Motifa. I now declare that a girl's name!

Link to the pic of her: http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w40/PLZKLLME0080/SCH-006DLXVRS.jpg

----------

[img:opuucuqz]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w40/PLZKLLME0080/Sigs/KingdomHearts2EMsig222.png[/img:opuucuqz]

codemaster57

Female... She's a fender Stratocaster that I named Rei, she has two stickers on her, one a backwards F and the other a Texas A&M University Sticker...

----------

[img:1qrflwh5]http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/7453/taleofsoulsmq1.png[/img:1qrflwh5]