You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest #55 - Story Telling Through Music

SixStringDealey

the next theme will be "Story Telling Through Music". A good approach would be to picture a scene from a story, movie, video game, etc and to then conceptualize the music that might accompany and portray the emotions, themes and moments of the scene. Diversity and creativity is what I'd like to see in these entries, and of course, the more clearly a piece's "mood/s" can be interpreted, the better!

You can practically write whatever you like, but the song that I feel meets the criteria best will be the winner. It is also important to note that the "story" should be told without the use of words / lyrics as the point of this theme is to emphasize on accomplishing this very thing. We can post after the due date what we had in mind for our own entries and then compare our interpretations, but until then, try not to describe the "scene" of your music at all! xD

The Due date will be Feb 22. If anyone needs more time, it must be requested before then.

Alright, good luck and I look forward to seeing what kinds of stories you all have to tell. :D

I uploaded a little jam I'm

iamHoustonian

You don’t need to see my identification…

I uploaded a little jam I'm working on to soundcloud, like a week ago.
Though I didn't write it for this theme in particular, I do have a "story " that I attribute to the peculiarity of my song haha
It's actually inspired by the opening events of one of my favorite Playstation RPGs :-)

TREECOSYSTEM

Looking forward to hearing any stories this song conjures up in other's minds haha and can anyone miraculously guess the RPG that inspired me?

Re: I uploaded a little jam I'm

tiger child

woo. love the bit at 50 seconds in where it shifts.

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

Nice selection of a theme,

Deaugustino

Nice selection of a theme, SixStringDealey. Also, congratulations for emerging
victorious in the previous tune comp.
I will probably make a tune for entry, but, as of yet...nothing.

Got something done, but I

Avaruussaha

Got something done, but I guess I'll hold onto it for a while longer, theres time.

Re: I uploaded a little jam I'm

iamHoustonian

Grazie, tiger child! (ノ゚▽゚)ノ
'tis a key moment in my song/story.

Re: Got something done, but I

jit

Avaruussaha said

Got something done, but I guess I'll hold onto it for a while longer, theres time.

no reason to hold on to it unless ur thinking of continually improving it

lol nah its cool, just wanted an excuse to hear more pieces

It's a music i just finished

hashel

It's a music i just finished for my game on RPG Maker, it's called "Fight against a friend".

In few words the story is :
In the Edell's Kingdom, magic was banned and kept in cristals (yhea it's so original).
But one day, a bunch of people destroyed it and the magic game back in the world and people started to get magical powers.

For some poeple magic was what's killed so many people in the past times,but for others, magic is salvation.
Dann, Caith and Hashel were 3 friends.

When the cristal broke, Caith got some magical abilities and Dann said that she must learn to control it, Hashel said that she must be "healed" from this malediction.
A civil war started and people chose their sides.

Until Dann and Hashel, each one on an opposite side, faced after many times.
They each try to make the other understand what they feel and to make the other changes his mind while they fight.
This song is the song of the battle and talking between them ^^

(Well the story is was longer and less simple thna that, but i'm lazy :D)

The song

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

hashel, i'd probably omit the

jit

hashel, i'd probably omit the story text out of the post. I think the point of this contest was that we as listeners interpreted first and then after the contest is over, the participants can post what they were actually going for to compare.

Nice piece btw, although I feel that this probably could have worked better in the last contest.

I went quite experimental on

Avaruussaha

I went quite experimental on this one, titled Kalma. Featuring a recorder and me hitting my poor guitar.

really cool stuff so far,

SixStringDealey

really cool stuff so far, guys! ahh hashel. solid piece, but imaginary points deducted for spoiling the story. haha :P

i'm still finishing mine up. just needs some percussion. it's going to be a midi anyway. lol (Anyone happen to know of a freeware means of converting midi to wav or mp3 or.. anything? xD)

Oops i forgot to read

hashel

Oops i forgot to read everything, bad me ~__~
What was the last contest ? Anyway i just finished it and as there is a story for this song (used only twice in the game) i used it ^^

Avaruussaha, i really love your song !!!

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

midi to mp3 conversion...

Deaugustino

SixStringDealey, search for SolMiRe.

Here is my entry titled

Deaugustino

Here is my entry titled expanse.

Re: midi to mp3 conversion...

SixStringDealey

thanks for the tip. i don't like the idea of doing it online, though. :/ maybe i'm a bit protective, haha, but the stuff i'm writing will hopefully end up in a game i'm slowly working on someday, so i don't want it on those kinds of sites. :P

another interesting submission. nice! :P

i'm not sure i want to call mine "done" just yet. i feel like some of the percussion could be better, but for now i don't have any immediate ideas. it's not like i'm going to choose myself though, so here it is anyway. xD
(Down.Mid)

i won't give away any of the story ideas behind it just yet, but it's interesting to note that the "sitar" sounding leads are actually imitating the vocal melodies i had written for this song when it was strictly a 1 acoustic + vocals kind of song. it's a bit long because of the repeat. I dig it, though. :P

been a bit busy lately.

SixStringDealey

been a bit busy lately. hopefully everyone's cool if i get to this in proper detail tomorrow! (entries are still cool for ~16 hours or so.)

Whaaaa!? :O

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Holy shit xD I thought the deadline was the 28th for some reason. I'm nowhere near finished :/ Well, I could shorten my composition drastically. It'd take me quite a while to finish it with the current vision I have for it, I think, so I suppose I shall have to shorten it. No worries, it will still be good! I'll try to have it uploaded tomorrow (or today if I can)!

----------

"You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you."

hmmm. i got a notification

SixStringDealey

hmmm. i got a notification saying that danteuruzu had made a post on the thread, but unfortunately i don't see anything since my last post. i meant to pick a winner today, but i hope the post wasn't a submission. O_o

i'd really like to go into detail about interpreting everyone's submission, but the last few days have been surprisingly busy for me. i still encourage anyone else to share their thoughts on any of the submissions! feel free to reveal your own, as well. each of these tunes have been very interesting and original. i've listened to them all several times. :D

long story short (bad pun), i've got to pick Avaruussaha's Kalma. the selection of instruments and style all just came together in a great way. you should all be proud of these pieces, though. it was a tough choice! some great moods came together to create all of these and you can bet i'll be listening to your submissions in the future. :D

i'm not going to explain mine in detail, but i will post the song's original lyrics for anyone who's interested.:

there is no light
no day or night

she lead me through the fields of white,
her visions of the endless light
gave way, they did, to the great decline
and while we're down, still, she shines

so tell me how you wanna (lose yourself)
do this if we're gonna (prove yourself)
protrude the sacred waters crawl back inside
even if you see it (lose yourself)
time will make it secret (prove yourself)
tell me how to leave it you can find me

down, down, down, down

and when we're through this thing, at last
we'll share with those who fear the past
and if we choose...

there is no light
no day or night

we tread through wrecks of withered vine
in search of those un-phased by time
and once we met the true divine
her words were that the will was mine

so tell me how you wanna (lose yourself)
do this if we're gonna (prove yourself)
protrude the sacred waters crawl back inside
even if you see it (lose yourself)
time will make it secret (prove yourself)
tell me how to leave it you can find me

down, down, down, down

and when we're through this thing, at last
we'll share with those who fear the past
and if we choose to...

appeal the false line of sight
see the force take life
heed the course of her eyes
reveal the great decline
down, down, down, down

iamhoustonian: your "See You On The Other Side" happened to auto play as i wrote all of this and i must say that it's pretty chill. :P

once again, great work, people. and congrats avaruussaha!

I really cant judge three in

Avaruussaha

I really cant judge three in a row though, so I'd like to pass the judging baton if thats acceptable...

haha sure, man. that's fine.

SixStringDealey

haha sure, man. that's fine.

The site hates you for some

hslesperance

The site hates you for some reason Dante, I published your comment.

Interesting lyrics SixString

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

Nice. I like that "Kalma"

iamHoustonian

Nice. I like that "Kalma" song. It made me think of a little kid escaping a tragedy befalling his/her village. Then at the end was a confrontation with whatever caused the destruction.

As for my song's story, it's inspired by the opening events of Star Ocean: The Second Story if you play Claude's path. Basically, the beginning is an interaction with some type of portal or warp. Then, suddenly you awaken in an immense forest and start to explore where you are and what happened :-)

Edit: Pass the baton? C'mon haha w/e Maybe if someone wants to do it.

My, my

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

It does indeed seem to hate me, hsl xD Thanks for publishing my comment :)

Ah, darn it! I was too late xD I suppose I'd better pay close attention to the date next time xD

Congratz, Avaruussaha! :-) And great job everyone! As always, very nice entries :D

----------

smooth. :P

SixStringDealey

i was playin' star ocean: the last hope not long ago. beautiful game story-wise, visually and of course the music is great. i imagine the case is the same with the other ones. some pretty interesting sounds you got out of your guitar for that piece for sure.

would still like to hear your piece anyway as well, dante! sorry about the confusion. xD

thanks hsl. guess i can divulge a little now that i'm not in a rush. it's all a concept piece about a group of people traveling through a post-apocalyptic world. the fields of white are a desert composed of the ashes of the civilization that existed until some kind of nuclear fall-out or something of the sort destroyed the land. technology was lost in the process, but some still remains in areas well out of sight. the group (led by a woman with some type of visionary ability) are on a quest to find a reliable water / plant-life source which lies deep beneath the rubble of a toppled city where a projected artificial intelligence remains somewhat functional. through the AI, they discover that humanity's downfall was of it's own making, something that has been suppressed from the public by those in power. they do find some surviving plant life in a damp underground level where just enough electricity remains to fuel a single light bulb, providing just enough energy for some very fragile plant-life to survive. (though that little bit isn't really established lyrically.) something like that. haha

AVUUUU's killin' it. Good job

jit

AVUUUU's killin' it. Good job man.

Who got second place, I guess that person can judge?

Anyone Else?

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Does anyone else get "Your comment has been queued for moderation by site administrators and will be published after approval" whenever you post a comment on a post?

----------

Nice Ava, three in a row

Brody

Nice Ava, three in a row :)
@Dante: No my posts appear after I saved them.
@all: nice entries again ;)

Re: smooth. :P

BigHeadClan

If you haven't played Star Ocean 3 - till the end of times, you should give that a go. Everything that was great about Last hope just kicked up 2-3 notches, graphics are the only downside but they still look pretty good.

@Think I may finally have some time for some contests coming up, swapping positions in my company soon so I should have more free time.

Re: smooth. :P

SixStringDealey

aww i would play it in an instant, but i only have a ps1 haha. no 360 version :(

waitin' on ava to pick his choice for next host, but if time is an issue, i'd suggest houstonian for his track. :P

Haha well here are some solid

BigHeadClan

Haha well here are some solid tunes from the game, music was awesome in it was pretty awesome.

Acoustic bit, Kabukibear did a tab for it awhile back.
Rust Color - Star Ocean 3

One of the heavier songs - trying to finish an arrangement for it.
Divine Spirt Of Language - Star Ocean 3

I have Star Ocean 3 for PS2

iamHoustonian

I have Star Ocean 3 for PS2 but I never finished it. I just got Albel and the disintegration hammer, then other things swept me up. Never touched it since. Pretty sick game though.
Star Ocean: The Second Story is far better IMO and it's on PS1 sixstring! :-)

As for hosting the next contest though, I have to humbly bow out.
I'm not itching to host one of these but if I won one legit I would gladly oblige :)

Thought it was obvious for

Avaruussaha

Thought it was obvious for SixString to pick someone.

Oh well, if there is no takers by late Sunday I'll go through with it myself.

Re: I really cant judge three in

iamHoustonian

Avaruussaha said

I really cant judge three in a row though, so I'd like to pass the judging baton if thats acceptable...

Obvious? Maybe he thought you wanted to pass the judging baton personally... I did haha

Edit: If you don't want to deal with it I have a suggestion. Either you or SixString can ask who wants to host, throw the names in a hat and pick one :-)

I'm open for that. Speak up,

Avaruussaha

I'm open for that. Speak up, brave souls, if you have ideas for the next tune (and will to host it), its up for grabs until the end of the weekend.

And right you are, it wasnt so obvious indeed.

daaamn. that guitar's

SixStringDealey

daaamn. that guitar's soundin' legitt! maybe i'll see it in a pawnshop someday and hook the old ps back up haha.

fine by me, ava. :P

If no steps up in regards to

BigHeadClan

If no steps up in regards to hosting a contest feel free to toss my name down, I should be able to
figure something out.

Re: If no steps up in regards to

jit

BigHeadClan said

If no steps up in regards to hosting a contest feel free to toss my name down, I should be able to
figure something out.

Ava is basically throwing it out there first come first serve. I think it would be fine if you're willing to be the host.

Well I'll see what my brain

BigHeadClan

Well I'll see what my brain comes up with in the next few days then, if anything is good I'll
host the next.

Good going everyone! but

Deaugustino

Good going everyone! but congrats to Avaruussaha! Too bad you can't judge though. anyway, wherever the torch goes...

:-)

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Hehehe Deaugustino xD Don't let that torch burn out, BigHead :P

----------

BigHeadClan, are you still up

Avaruussaha

BigHeadClan, are you still up for doing it?

Yeah should still be able to

BigHeadClan

Yeah should still be able to do it, I will brain storm a topic and hopefully have something concrete by tomorrow night at latest.

Work has been busy XD

Well I suppose I've finally

BigHeadClan

Well I suppose I've finally picked a topic for the next contest, it's not as unique or inspiring as some but it fits with the month.

Next topic will be "Video Game Opening" I will be posting the next contest today.