You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Your favorite video game boss? - page 2

Re: Your favorite video game boss?

Luminaire271

My favorite boss would be Giygas from Earthbound. Rockin' music to start the battle, then it turns creepy along with Giygas form and dialogue... the designer for the game based Giygas' dialogue on a rape scene he saw in a film that traumatized him as a child.

chewy7719

Gamer/Metalhead

I liked King Dodongo from Ocarina of Time. Easy, but throwing bombs in his mouth is so fun.

Some of the N64 rareware bosses were great ones. The last bosses of DK64 (Boxing King K.Rool) and Grunty in the first two Banjo Kazooie games were my favorites as far as final battles go. Oh, and anybody remember Jack in the Box from DK64? Lots of fun, but pretty tough once he turns invisible.

samuel_kim_1

GANONDORF!
its nice to know that he's always waiting for you at the end

yoshifan3745

wow..theres so many......i personally like the Xaldin battle in Kingdom Hearts 2. It takes some time..but its a lot of fun

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

GlaDos the killer computer from Portal was pretty funny. When you fight her she starts releasing neurotoxins into the room to kill you and says

"Neurotoxin. (coughs) So deadly... (coughing) Choking... (laughter) I'm kidding! When I said 'deadly' neurotoxin, the 'deadly' was in massive sarcasm quotes. I could take a bath in this stuff. Put it on cereal. Rub it right into my eyes. Honestly, it's not deadly at all. To me. You, on the other hand, are going to find its deadliness a lot less funny."

another great quote when you do a little damage to her

"That thing you burned up isn't important to me. It's the fluid catalytic cracking unit. It made shoes for orphans. Nice job breaking it, hero."

Great boss for a great game.

monkeymen987

Kabuki stole my favorite boss. :[

Great Game. GOood boss, very funny.

im GLaD i got the game

----------

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z161/uion689/mizore-1.png[/img]

zeldafan

master hand from the original super smash bros. and bowser and gannondorf......so many good bosses :D

ZystraL

Crazy. Don't listen.

MetaRidley. End of. Any giant mechanized flying dragon robot that spits fire, claws at you and attacks the level rather than you, can rawr and has to be fought with a time limit is pure ORSM.

----------

[url=http://www.awkwardzombie.com/comic1-061608.php:3o127zqw]Ike's history lesson[/url:3o127zqw]

Equipment:
Ibanez RG2550Z Prestige
Jackson RR-3 Select
Peavey Valveking 112 + Boss MT-2/TU-2
Nintendo DS Red and Black special edition

Less_Than_Professional

I have 3 really, but all from the same game, (none of which no one mentioned). Allen O'neil, the Mars People, and General Morden from the Metal Slug series. Allen O'neil is freakishly hard, and he won't stay dead! , the Mars People are cute, (in a freaky-gun-shooting-squid-thingy-like way), and I can't help but laugh watching over, over, and over as General Morden gets two-timed...yet again! and making that hilarious THWACK! sound when he gets knocked over.

*sigh*...How I love thee, my freaky-gun-shooting-squid-thingies.

yamsa

Grand King of the Moon

Hard to deicide. Even so, I really enjoyed the Sephiroth battle from both KH and KH2

----------

*Ba- dom- tish*

auriplane

Wait. After this entire thread so far, not one person said Lavos??? Wow. That's definitely the first that came to mind for me!

As a rule, I rarely pick just one favorite for anything, because a lot of categories (like "favorite boss") I have different reasons for each favorite, so I can't really put them in order. I decided having multiple favorites was the best solution a long time ago :-)

Besides Lavos, I can think of a few. I really love the frog boss(es) in the American version of Blaster Master, because the much cooler plot made it your pet frog. So, the first time you realize you chased him all the way down the rabbit hole, just to be forced to fight him . . . it was an excellent moment in early video games. Plus you can hear him croak in the level 4 song, and he's really fun to fight!

Square had a lot of really cool bosses, too. Black Rabite from Seiken Densetsu 3, Siegfried from FF6, and Jabotender from FF8 were all excellent. A few Square bosses were unforgettable mainly because of the music, but otherwise wouldn't be favorites for me: Grandleon from Chrono Trigger (called Masamune in the translation), Ultima Weapon from FF6, Gilgamesh from FF5, and Seymour from FF10 are all in that category for me.

And finally . . . MaxX Unlimited double extra stage. Those of you who know what I'm talking about know how intense that feeling is ^-^

----------

Auriplane!!

TrangOul

Insomaniac

I'm also missing King K. Rool. His appearences in Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 were simply epic and the final fight against him certainly was the best thing about Donkey Kong 64!

snester94

P.S. I'm not actually a Nu

wow, thats a hard decision, either Lavos, Magus, Criosphinx, Ganondorf,LeChuck, Son of Sun, or Time Devourer dragon form.

----------

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now...

auriplane

Good choices, especially Magus and LeChuck :-)

The black wind begins to blow . . .

----------

Auriplane!!

Hypoxia

This is a really great question, because it gives the opportunity to hear about games that some people haven't heard of in the past, and see other people's opinions.

As far as villains, Kefka absolutely comes in first. It's not that I jumped on the band wagon, he's just so evil. He had no reason to really do any of the things he did, except that he just felt like it. He's almost like the Joker, come to think of it (Or rather, the Joker's almost like Kefka). His dialogue and intent was both funny and at times devastating, for both you, the player, and the entire game's world. Also, knowing that Kefka was the pretty much one of the only villains who started out as an "underling" and ended up *actually* taking over the world is something to be considered as well.

As far as boss battles, that's a very tough one. I really enjoy fighting The End in Metal Gear Solid 3. It's something that seems almost unreal, for the most part, in the video game world. Three huge areas, the perfect place for the world's most epic sniper battle. Also, Psycho Mantis and Liquid Snake (At the end of the game, the fistfight, I mean) from Metal Gear Solid were memorable as well. Other than them, though, I'd have to say some other really great, memorable boss fights would have to be any of the Four Elemental Archifiends of Golbez in Final Fantasy IV, Id from Xenogears (All the battles had with him). I'm not a big fan of Sonic the Hedgehog, but fighting Perfect Chaos in Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast as Super Sonic is always something that's memorable. Oh! The Gigas battles of Skies of Arcadia are definitely some to be remembered as well. Terrifying things that usually took more than one try to get right. Thank God for allowing us to just restart the battle instead of from the last save point.

As much as I love Kefka, the final boss battle of FFVI, though memorable, isn't my favourite, because it's not something I enjoy all that much. I'm in awe the whole way up the boss, but it doesn't mean that I love it.

With all that said, there're tons of boss battles out there that I've fought, and I'm sure I enjoyed playing through many more than I mentioned, just that at this moment, those are some of the ones that come to mind.

----------

Life...Dreams...Hope...Where'd they come from? And where are they headed...? These things...I'm going to destroy!

smiley

shadock number zo zo bu zo meu ga

I'd have to say...Ganon from OoT.
Come on- that fight was simply epic.

Megaman.EXE

Acoustic Player

Easily Wolf O'Donnell. I mean, he's a Wolf, and he's set on wanting to destroy Fox.... What's not to like?

Destin

Im ganna have to say Gannon on this one, there is nothing more fulfilling then betting him at the end of a zelda game.
Or maybe Sephiroth he dose have his own theme music and it's epic as hell, and using omni-slash made me pee a little.

and Archard plz if u can make this a poll on the home page so we can vote and see what
everyone on the site thinks that would be great!

but first we would have to get this down to like a top 10

archard

Alright, I can make a poll if you guys want. What should the choices be?

----------

DANG

TrangOul

Insomaniac

So far I'd say something like this:

• Bowser
  • Ganon
  • Bongo Bongo
  • Sephiroth
  • Kefka
  • Magus
  • King K. Rool
  • Psycho Mantis

Those 8 were most-named in this thread, however, they are unsorted here. For the last 2 slots I suggest

• all of the Colussi from SotC (in case this choice will win, we can make a following poll to determine the most-favoured colossus)
  • Vaati

archard

Thanks for the list TrangOul. I agree with your idea of putting all the Colossi from SotC in, but instead of Vaati I decided to put in King Dedede because I personally think he's an awesome boss, and I forgot to mention him in this thread.

The poll is now on the main page.

----------

DANG

Taai

I'm Dutch, but I ain't Cheap!

Much bowser and zelda fans here ^_^

but my favorite defentily is:
2nd form of Agranarok (did I spell it right? XD) from zelda TP. (he's the most funniest boss ever XD)

Most epic boss ever is:
not tabuu, didn't like him at all. It is... Kratos (1 vs 1 duel) from tales of symphonia!

----------

Creativiteit is de grootste verrijking van de geest.

x fox x

The pokemon addict

Gary Oak = Ultimate Boss
When you pick Squirtle as a starter guess who pick a Bulbasaur just to mess with you? Who other than: Gary Oak. When you're crawling out of a cave, all your Pokemon with 1HP just struggling to breathe, guess who would come by in a convertible surrounded by girls? **** yeah, Gary Oak. When you just beat all 8 gym leaders and you're making your way to the indigo league guess who would drop by with 12 badges? Gary Oak. When you've think you've won. Beaten the Elite Four and your Pokemon are in desperate need of medical attention guess who beat to the champion spot and is ready to challenge you? **** yes Gary Oak.

----------

~Fox...aka the guy who has more free time during the school year than summer vacation >.>

Hypoxia

Oh my God, fox, you're completely right. I second Gary Oak, even though I already posted my favourites.

Wow..I knew he was a dick, but..Man, when you look at it in its full context...What a dick.

----------

Life...Dreams...Hope...Where'd they come from? And where are they headed...? These things...I'm going to destroy!

x fox x

The pokemon addict

All I'm saying is that Gary is epic. The guy from silver/gold/crystal is a thief, the guy from emerald/ruby/sapphire a panzi and the "rival" from diamond/pearl/platinum is your best friend...wtf? The new guys just don't live up to Gary's name. So yes Gary Oak is my favorite boss.

----------

~Fox...aka the guy who has more free time during the school year than summer vacation >.>

Shurien

Certaily Lavos was a great boss and Black Rabite was such an ass to deal with.
I really liked Ares from GoW as well.....it was almost impossible to beat in God level....

Wujong5

I'd have to say that Sepheroth from kingdom hearts 2 is my fav, 'cause hes so hard! iv'e beaten xemnas so much i cant even remember how many times...... i cant even kill sephoroth's 1st bar of life.............

Diz

Why hasn't anyone said Sigma yet!? lol From the Megaman X series? AM i the only one that played those? He was like Ganondorf's robotic counterpart. You always faced him at the end. He was pure evil and he just wouldn't die! haha. I love Ganondorf for the same reason. Just pure Evil. As well as Galcian from Skies of Arcadia:Legends which is my favorite game. Not too popular sadly. :'(

I also love Liquid Snake just because the epicness of the lackluster final boss fight with him in Twin Snakes. And sadly I never played FFVII as cool as Sephiroth is I can't fairly judge him. So those are my top 5. The more evil the better.

galcian.jpgganondorf_2.jpgBig_Sigma.jpgLiquid_Snake.jpgSephiroth.png

quinnpm

GOD OF ALL GAMES

thats a tough one but i must say either ganondorf from Oot when u hit the ball back and forth
or andrew ryan from bioshock not much of battle but his speeches are amazing. did i break the nintendo chain oh darn. -edit-oh wait i saw a GoW darn-
"so the assassin overcomes my final defense, in the end what separates a man from a slave,money, power, no a man chooses a slave obeys. one can just drift through life not knowing until their kindly master says the one phrase. come in. stop, would u kindly, would u kindly, powerful phrase , familiar phrase? run, would you kindly, stop, turn. a man chooses a slave obeys, kill. a man chooses! a slave obeys! OBEY!" epic
go here to see it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDcY-z2bi-8
also one from beginning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J47ENHSomc8

----------

you think you can beat me
as in in your dreams

surreal

Eric: tank,godlike

I did love the Lavos Core battle at the end of chrono trigger.

It's very epic when the battle theater is uncontrollably rifting through random periods in time.

The 1 on 1 Frog vs. Magus battle also had an exceptionally powerful theme.

I also loved the Ganon fight at the end of Ocarina of Time. The background music mixed with battling a giant monster amidst a ring of fire. Nice.

Hmm....I would have to say at

snckpack

Fat Bob

Hmm....I would have to say at a young age i thought Sephiroth was the most badass villain out there but ive come to realize looks arnt eveything. And certainly Kefka was most evil out of any game ive ever played hands down. But i would have to say the hardest boss ive ever beaten was Deuce from Xenogears. First you had to kill Ramsus (AGAIN!!) Then you have to beat 4 of Deuce's...extremities they could be called, Sundel who heals, Marlute which drains your gears' fuel, Harlute who uses Heaven's Annointment (a devestating attack) and Metatron which uses Earthly Annointment (another devestating attack. Once you finish these 4 off then you have to fight Deuce with your remaining fuel and HP that your gears have.It was just so damn hard to kill him it took me at least 10 tries. Oh ya Grahf from Xenogears is another good villain if you play the game youll find out why. And for another hard battle the Mana Beast comes to mind for me as well with the epic music in the background plus your fightin your damn pet dragon. FLAMMIE!!!!!!!!!!!

----------

Rockin the Wallmart Special

Have to get something off my

1219sean

Jobless on weekdays, King on weekends, Loser every day of the week.

Have to get something off my back here, first:

Sephiroth = The most overrated villain from one of the most overrated games. Don't even bother arguing 'cause YOU know it...although I will admit the game was GOOD it just wasn't as GREAT as everyone else is making it out to be.

Now for my favourites...

1= Gilgamesh [Final Fantasy 5]--> This guy right here doesn't even pose any threat. I mean come on, he's so freaking slow! HOWEVER, I love 'im because of his character. He provides some humorous commentary in-battle and has some nice steals ;)...which eventually become useless but are useFUL at the time, nonetheless.

2= *spoilers I guess* Kratos [Tales of Symphonia]--> I will admit this guy is a fanboy/girl magnet, which I know you know I hate...it was just how this character was layed out and portrayed throughout the course of the game. This dude is just full of twists and unexpected-ness that you constantly question his motives. He kicks your ass big time the first time you fight which makes the next few times incredibly satisfying (if you beat him, of course!) Also he has my favourite "in-battle Tech quotes": Lightning Blay-Super Lightning Blah-Victory Light Spear!!!

3= Almost every boss [LoZ: Ocarina of Time]--> Need I say more?

4= Albert Wesker [Resident Evil 5]--> Okay, so maybe he's a total pansy while you fight him. He's super freakin' easy. But it's Wesker man...Wesker!!! How can you not fall in love with his indoor sunglass wearing-monotone voice-super evil...-ness!! He's basically the evilest(?) guy you can ever meet.

5= Damon Gant [Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney]--> Fun game. Fun chapter. Evil-ass dude. He's exclusive to the DS remake of the original GBA title so it's a good thing I've got an R4, heh. Anyways, this guy right here is one weird old guy. I haven't played the game in almost a year (broken DS) but...I just know he's evil and awesome, okay?!?

6= Matt Engarde [Phoenix Wright: Justice For All]--> This manipulative bastard knows how to create a FOOLPROOF/safe way of killing someone. Hiding evidence, blackmailing people...it's all in a day's work for this guy. Oh wait...you foil his plans, though. Again, this character only appears in the last chapter of the game, but you really learn to hate this SOB. Also, he's self-obssessed. <-Evil.

7= Dahlia Hawthorne [Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations]--> She's a ghost/spirit. Oh, and she's evil and fucking creepy as fuck.

8= Kristoph Gavin [Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney]--> This guy is freakin' E-V-I-L. He wears glasses (holy crap that's fuckin' evil!) and managed to kill and poison someone. Oh but here's the good part: he was stuck in jail. He couldn't even leave his prison cell (practically)!!! What makes it even scarier is that he killed a dude using a poisoned stamp, that said victim (obviously) licked. This stamp was essentially a "time bomb" which took [insert big number] of years to go off. He poisoned said dude's daughter, Vera, by giving her poisoned nail polish because he noticed she would bite her nails anytime she got nervous. His brother also rocks a guitar...which is pretty bad-ass, right guys?

Yeah, so I kind of sounded like a broken record for the last few. But honestly, if you have a DS and haven't played any of the Ace Attorney games...put it to use and either play it or give the DS to me. The game has so many lovable characters and the cases are SO intense that the "bosses" are...just so epic. Woops, this is turning into a review!

:) So there's my list folks.

mgs4

Redias

The Final fight with liquid in metal gear solid 4 is one on the top of my list and also the last boss in Chrono Cross ONLY IF YOU GO FOR THE BEST ENDING!!!!!

The most epic boss ever is

A-Clockwork-Apple

The most epic boss ever is The Boss. (Not trolling- MGS3 Final Boss)
Either her or The End, who is the best single-player sniper battle ever.

Re: Have to get something off my

snckpack

Fat Bob

1219sean said

Have to get something off my back here, first:

Sephiroth = The most overrated villain from one of the most overrated games. Don't even bother arguing 'cause YOU know it...although I will admit the game was GOOD it just wasn't as GREAT as everyone else is making it out to be.

I know FF7 is really overated and so is Sephiroth but cmon man i was like 8 when i played that game and to me Sephiroth was the embodiment of all things evil. FF7 is still a great game with the music and the story line, its not that i agree with people saying its the greatest game in all of existence or anything like that, after all Xenogears is my favorite game. But anyways like someone said already in here that a lot of people jump on the bandwagon about things and FF7 and Sephiroth happen to be a few of em. Im not trying to crush your opinion or anything of the sorts but im just sayin it was a pretty good game. Sorry if i offended you.

----------

Re: Have to get something off my

1219sean

Jobless on weekdays, King on weekends, Loser every day of the week.

No offense taken. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, right?

I'll admit I wasn't 100% thinking straight when I wrote that (lack of sleep). The game was pretty good (how could a Final Fantasy game not be good?), but I don't think it should be getting so much attention. In my opinion there are way too many other games that deserve that kind of recognition, but aren't.

I totally agree with you on

snckpack

Fat Bob

I totally agree with you on that other titles need more attention but when FF7 came out it was one of the new consols at the time so of course thats one of the reasons it gets a crapload of attention. That and it was the first FF game in 3D so that contributes to the hype on it as well. A few games i would like to see people recognizing are Zone of the Enders, Wild Arms 1 and 2, Alundra 1 and 2, Shadow Madness, Gungrave (thats a fun ass game right there 1 or 2)And so many others that im too lazy to go over to my shelf and look at. Oh ya i also thought that some of the Spyro games were fun a bit just not on the scale of FF or anything

----------

Mainstream, eh? How about a

Binarynova

Mainstream, eh? How about a tie for Emperor Draygon's four henchmen in Crystalis? Although, of the four, Kelbesque causes me the most nightmares, so he's probably my favorite. Climbing Mt. Sabre was a huge pain (many difficult enemies), and then when you get to the top you are rewarded with a really tough fight. Ha! :)

Draygon's four henchmen:
The general, Kelbesque
The witch, Sabera
The swordsman, Mado
The wizard, Karmine

As I recall they gave me a hell of a time during my first several runthroughs. I don't have as much trouble with them now, but they are a lot of fun. Actually have a small amount of monologue and character too. :)

My top 5 Boss - Kefka from

kimpile

My top 5 Boss

- Kefka from FF6
- Dark force from Phantasy Star 2
- Dio from World Heroes 2
- M.Bison from Street fighter 2
- Luther from Star Ocean 3

----------

- Hardcore gamer since 25 years

Since this thread is still going...

MassTheMono

Feast With Me

Someone already mentioned this, but...Gabrie Celesta from Star Ocean: the Second Story. Absolutely the hardest boss I've ever faced. An awesome game, too.

On a side note, my first thoughts were of Ganondorf and Kefka. Don't harass me for being too cliche. =P

MTM (Brandon)

Gannon in all shapes and

Tanimax

Gannon in all shapes and forms. Zelda is probably my fave series... loads of zldla bosses stand out to me. Barinade, the armos statues, moldoworm, volvagia, the eye from the swamp dungeon, bongo bongo, blain (sp?) from awakening, that fscking annoying bird also from awakening, veran, onyx, that thwomp with the faces :S, odawola (sp), gyorg (ARGRRHH >_<)... yeah I could go on.... But I won't.... no I will really. The second incantation of majoras mask... I died becuase I couldn't stop laughing XD

Metroid Prime from... metroid prime. That guy was an epic fight... and the spider one from fusion gba, he buttraped my character so many times O_O

Dracula - Dragon Form from Castelvania 64 (why do so many peope ehate on Carrie? And the Game?). When I first saw him... "OMG! AAAAAAH! O_O"

Andross anyone?

I can't pick a favourite out of all I'm saying... :P

Black91crx

atukomanga said

I see so many people picking some of the most cliche names in all of video game history (though Sephiroth is mysteriously missing in this list), like Kefka, Bowser, Ganon, etc...but doesn't anyone remember Ghaleon from Lunar: The Silver Star? One of the most composed villians ever, and his laugh sent shivers down your spine. He tortured dragons, stole girlfriends, and just when you thought he was dead, he comes back in Lunar 2!

Lunar SSS was a great game!

Luca blight from suikoden 2!

captainphenom

Luca blight from suikoden 2! epic-nasty

f*** you SEPHIROTH!

perpetiel01

Nv.Cherry.AicelleAnne

f*** you SEPHIROTH!

----------

hohoemashii.tenshii.bercede

Donkey Kong, from Donkey Kong. He's one of the earliest video game bosses who I remember, and in the Gameboy version he's a real bad ass.

That's why I love him in Brawl so much. I always wanted to play as the big, mean ape and beat up Mario ^^