You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

What was your first console?

KitsuneFox59

Remember that day so many years ago when you first unwrapped/bought/stole that shiny new console? What was it? How did you get it? What games did you play on it first?

My first console was a Sega Genesis. One morning at Christmas, my sister and I saw a huge box under the tree for both of us from Grandma. When we sat down to open the presents my sister and I both went for it first, but Grandma wouldn't let us. "Open these smaller ones first," she said, "save the biggest one for last, okay?". In a hurry, we opened the smaller ones. I got The Lion King game and my sis got Sonic Classics (Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine) both for the Genesis. I loooked at my grandma, "But how are we supposed to play these? We don't have a Genesis!" "Oh, I guess you'll just have to play them at my house," she replied knowingly. Finally we were allowed to open the big one, and there it was, in all its glory: A brand new Sega Genesis.

Re: What was your first console?

gamingnguitar

Total Gamer

mine was a gameboy color, first game was blues clues :lol: (gimme some credit i was only four )

----------

Live. Learn. Listen. To Crush 40.

archard

It was an NES. We had just moved from Hawaii when I was like 5 years old, and my mom's friend gave us their NES with a whole bunch of games. Still have it, though a whole bunch of the games are missing.

----------

DANG

KitsuneFox59

"gamingnguitar" posted:

mine was a gameboy color, first game was blues clues :lol: (gimme some credit i was only four )

That's not too bad. When I got a Gameboy Color, my first game for it was "Cubix: Racin' Robots". I was 11. That game was horrible and just loved insulting my intellegence.

----------

Current Project(s): Sonic Boom- Sonic CD/SSBB

N SIXTY FOUR

And I still play that shit UP. Got it Christmas of 95 (96?); I was 2 or 3 years old.

you guys are making me feel old,

Got an NES when i was 2 back in 1990.

rancidfetus

Classical Metalhead

"archard" posted:

It was an NES. We had just moved from Hawaii when I was like 5 years old, and my mom's friend gave us their NES with a whole bunch of games. Still have it, though a whole bunch of the games are missing.

Holy crap Archard! That's the SAME EXACT WAY I got my NES, mine also came with a bunch of games! How many other people inherited the NES from a friend of the family, I wonder. Anyways, my first console was my GameBoy Pocket I got when all my friends had the Color. I was probably around seven. I managed to convince most of them the Pocket was better in all ways except it displayed it's picture in the gray scale. Oh, and you can't argue with me about it; the Pocket had a contrast wheel.

Vicz1717

an Atari. I remember the joystick only had one red button, nothing else. lol
So classic... :p

nozzie

The talkbox guy.

wow i guess im old skool my first was a commodore 64 and Atari 2700

then i remember NES / famicon when i got it i was like im so cool. i still have my NES with almost all US released games

----------

Voila! In view humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the “vox populi” now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygon

TrangOul

Insomaniac

My first was a Game Boy (you know, that heavy grey brick).

yoshistrings

ヨッシー

Mine was a super nes. My cousin didn't use it anymore, so he gave it to me. best part was, it came with super mario world, kirby superstar, and all three donkey kong country games. I thank him for it. If not for that old super nes, I may not be able to whip my fiends in brawl like I do today :lol:

intrepid

a nes my brother bought, aaaah such sweet memories, blows all that wii junk right out off the water

Kb10

"rancidfetus" posted:

"archard" posted:

Holy crap Archard! That's the SAME EXACT WAY I got my NES, mine also came with a bunch of games! How many other people inherited the NES from a friend of the family, I wonder. Anyways, my first console was my GameBoy Pocket I got when all my friends had the Color. I was probably around seven. I managed to convince most of them the Pocket was better in all ways except it displayed it's picture in the gray scale. Oh, and you can't argue with me about it; the Pocket had a contrast wheel.

Haha , Same, First console was NES(Friend gave it and i was like 6) , + some game with 100 games in it , then later on my dad gave my nes to someone... because i got teh Snes lol..

----------

[url=http://www.ff-fan.com:2xs67esu][img:2xs67esu]http://www.ff-fan.com/chartest/banners/zack.jpg[/img:2xs67esu][/url:2xs67esu]

irvoke123

Does borrowing count? =P The first console to be in my posession was a NES which my dad had borrowed for me from a friend of his, and I played that for a few months. I only got 3 games with it; Nintendo World Cup, Megaman 4 and Super Mario Bros 3, all of which I played almost every day of those few months to the point where my thumbs ached. Man those were the days. The first console to be actually owned by me was my PlayStation (the original big grey box, that is) which I bought after saving up my weekly allowance for almost a year. =P First I didn't even have any games for it, just played the few demo CDs that came with the console. And then when I finally had the money, I went and bought Spyro The Dragon which was my first very own console game. I think I was about 10 or 11 at the time. Besides me and my PSX, our family never bought any consoles as I was the only kid and my parents weren't that much into gaming, except my dad who was crazy about those old LucasArts adventure classics (which actually weren't that much of classics back then YET) on PC like Monkey Island. He didn't care much for consoles, though. Before my very own PSX, I just played games on our PC. And occasionally when I was at a friend's house who had a (S)NES or a Sega Saturn or some other contraption, we'd play them.

MetalMario702

The Mario of Metal

hmmm im not sureif you would consider it a console but i got one of those old Mr. Game and watch haldhelds other then that it was probably the gameboy (brick). now im starting to collect snes games but i dont have a snes to play them on so if any of you want to get rid of yours (blasphemer) you know who to contact O_o, and yes im willing to pay =P

----------

Those too weak to follow their own dreams always find a way to discourage others...
Those who think that they know everything annoy those of us that do
[img:23q2yhj0]http://offbeat-zero.net/pulse/sig/thfrbiddn1.png[/img:23q2yhj0]

L10N

I am the user, Lybaerd

SNES with Rock Man X, from my pops.
I still prefer to play it on SNES rather than the PSP port.

----------

I am the user, Lybaerd.

i kinda forget, but i think it was a super nintendo and the game was i thnk mortal kombat. lol

Waladuz

Der Kritiker

My brother and I were Sega Fans, so the first console we got was the Sega Master System, on which we played Sonic the Hedgehog, followed by the Mega Drive (Another version of the Genesis) later we bought the Dreamcast. Other systems were the PS, PS2, a Game Boy, a Game Boy Colour and then came the Nintendo DS.

----------

"Yo, buddy...still alive?" - Larry "Pixy" Foulke

wiiman92

smash bros pwner

N64 was my first and probably the best

Takoon

Section Leader

My first console was a good old SNES. I remember I used to rent the console from our local video store practically every week, until my mom and dad just bought me one because it was getting too expensive. *lol*

I'm pretty sure my first game (as of what I can remember, anyway), was Super Mario RPG. I loved being able to follow the plot and laugh at all the absurd jokes.

----------

"Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and, instead of bleeding, he sings."

zer0

the super nintendo
my first game was super mario world

Krimson

Much nerdy love

Sega Mastersystem...
Hours upon hours of Gulvellius and Miracle Warriors! Good times! Back when 8 bit graphics were a stunning revolution of graphic quality!

wako-kun

MM tabber

My beloved SNES...

This console hits you (me) right in the heart an stays there...
I have no words for SNES. I's the BEST console EVER!

Even if it's old the graphics still looks AMAZING! have you ever played DKC3? just take a look at the backgrounds.... stunning! The games were great and my first meeting with the console was ALTTP, the most awsome game ever (one of them at least)...

I still remember when i was 4 years old and tried to solve problems and almost cry when it was so hard... and how happy i was when i finally solved them ^^.

As I said there isn't words enough to describe the influences this gray plastic thing had on my life, but maybe I'm just to nostalgic again thinking of F-zero, Super Mario world, Super Mario world2 (one of my favorites), ALTTP, DKC3, Mario Allstars and many more....

This is a console that hit me so hard, that even if the gray shell with it's physical matter dissapears and remain only as foggy memories. or even of the memories fade away with everything else. The marks it did on me will stay.
Because this is a feeling that stays.......

Oh sorry... my bad..... but I'm 100% serious!

----------

I'm 'alternative' because everyone else is...

ChupaCalvin

Lt. McMuffin

The Super Nintendo, then the GBC, then N64, then I sorta lost track of all my games.

mlw08

zidzy

My first console was the Playstation1... 8-)

Devandra

Dark Jesus

My first console ? I think it was a NES but I was very, very young.
The really first console I've played was the Game Gear with Shinobi and Sonic.

justice enforcer

My first console was the Super Nintendo that my brother let me share with him until he got his N64, then he left it with me.(Which ROCKED!) I was about 4 then, and my first game was Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. That game ROCKS, and is the game that really got me hooked on RPGs. Then some of the classic Marios, and DKC.

jakey

mine was a sega megadrive. it was really my dads, and we only had 3 games, but my uncle gave me a few too. its the reason i'm addictide to sonic.

CanisArctus

Enjoyer of cheese

I had a NES when I was about... 4 or 5... But I never really played that a lot. So my first real console was N64, with Super Mario 64! That was awesome...
Later I got a "few" more games like Zelda: Ocarina of Time, James Bond: Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Kazooie... And a lot more I don't remember now ^^

----------

If you're reading this, it means I just wasted 3 seconds of your life.

SpADeD

Bazooka Tooth

NES. The first game I ever played was Mega Man 2. Unfortunately my parents gave my NES away when I got a Genesis.

----------

[img:uhq4v3b3]http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/3281/spadedsigsmalloy7.jpg[/img:uhq4v3b3][img:uhq4v3b3]http://www.sonic-online.com/angnix/albums/userpics/10001/thumb_espiopose.png[/img:uhq4v3b3]
[img:uhq4v3b3]http://ca

yoshifan3745

i'm pretty new to the gaming world....mine was a playstation 1 when my uncle was getting rid of it 4 his playstation 2. That was probably 2002.

VoxHumana

You spoony bard!

The gameboy color was the first actual "console" i had, but i had already played Warlords 2 (turnbased strategy game with sprite graphics, and no sound because my dad had got it from a friend on like twelve diskettes) with my dad from since i was like four or something, before after MUCH begging :D i got GBC at the age of... Damn, i cant remember anything but the fact the i wasn't yet 12 years old. My first ever game on it was Pokémon Gold (i had played yellow on an emulator before). I later bought a PS2 with savings + birthday money, and so far i've gotten GBA SP and a PS1 afterwards. I'm thinking about buying a new console, but so far it could be anything else than X360.

----------

Gaming atm:
WC3, FFIX, FFXII, Okami

spider-harry

King of the World

Hi, first of all: Awesome site. Have been here for a while and now decided to join the forum to tell you the story of my first Console, my NES:

I also got it from a friend of the family when I was about 5 or 6 years old. Since then I annoyed my parents with constant yelling "I'm booooooooored" so that they would stop watching TV and let me play with the NES (we had only one TV back then).
What astounds me is , the games on the NES in comparison to modern games were freaking difficult, but in the past, as a 6 year old, I was way better at them than now. ;)
Later I got the SNES and that is my all time favorite. Best games ever are Zelda ALTTP , Super Mario World , Donkey Kong Country and so on.
Still have both consoles and playing on them sometimes.

superpope89

My first was an NES way back sometime in the early 90's when I was a wee lad. Super Mario 1-3 and Duck Hunt were the games I played the most.

BigBoss

Mine was a sega Genesis first game was SONIC
The Hedgehog!

WhiteWing

WW

My frist one was the NES, my anut gave it to me, I remember games like StarTropics, MegaMan 1-6, Blaster Master, Metroide, then later I was given the brick GB, then I ended up with the SNES which kicked ass with games like Secrets of Mana, MegaMan X 1-3, Super Metroide, FF3, Contra 3, damn I wish my mom wounld not have made me get rid of the NES and SNES! One day I will own them again!

MattTheParanoidKat

Raging Dick

Super Nintendo, which I remember having, but don't remember playing, which quickly became a Sega Genesis. I love playing that, and Sonic 2 was SOOO cash. The next was the gameboy pocket (Pokemon fucking ruled back then) After that came a Playstation 1. Since I was absolutely oblivious to Final Fantasy at the time, I played Spyro the Dragon. Good times. Then came the best console of all time, for me atleast... and the sales don't lie. The Playstation 2. I admittedly missed alot of games, and am kicking myself for not discovering sooner. Marvel vs Capcom 2 anyone? But, the Ratchet and Clank series, and GTA 3-San Andreas were great. Then I got a used GBA, so i could play the old FF games, and find Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. My choice in the next gen console is the Xbox 360. I got the Elite model with a free copy of Assassin's Creed, then i picked up Lost Odyssey. I haven't played it often, but I love it.

So, there is my whole life of gaming wrapped up in one paragraph, any questions?

Arekusuandaa

mine was the SNES and i am only 13 and now i got a wii

that means that i am a nintendo fanboy to say the least

meh

stuff

I was basically born with a game in my hand, my dad said that was one of the first things i did... and i remember it like it was yesterday... i loved that brand new turbo-grafix 16 like it was own sister, i used to play bonks adventure every day, well that and keith courage in the alpha zones... i still own it, but it broke when i was about 8, so i tried taking it apart *STUPID ROBERT STUPID!!!!*
which just made it look really bad.. because i didn't use a screwdrive.. i kinda just ripped it... well i always played that and my nes... *god bless super mario bro's 3, best one of 1-3*

----------

If I had a dollar for every brain you didn't have.... I'd have a dollar

chewy7719

Gamer/Metalhead

When I was probably about 9 I got Game Boy Color and Pokemon Blue.

First real console was Nintendo 64. Got it for Christmas, I was probably about 10 at the time. It was the Donkey Kong Bundle Pack with the Jungle Green console.

Rany

My first console are PSX, he come with the games ALUNDRA, LEGEND OF DRAGON, OVER BLOOD 2.

monkeymen987

Kitsune that's a nice story about your sega :P

Mine was the SNES... it was strange because my family a bit poor when i was a kid, but then my dad got a new friend from a place where he played tennis, well my dad's friend owned a gaming store. i once went to his house and they had over 60 SNES's stacked on top of each other and also nintendo 64.. and playstations.. it was a godly sight back at that time :P, and he asked me.. Would you like one? i answered "What is it...?" and after that day i left with a big box containing snes with donkey kong country. and i knew what video games where then :]

----------

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z161/uion689/mizore-1.png[/img]

zeldafan

got a gameboy advance when i was in first-grade. i was 6.

BooDoo

People

I had an Atari 2600 as my first game system, but I can't remember if I had played Wheel of Fortune on the PC before or after that point.

Kind of similar to MonkeyMen's story of his SNES, I don't think I could've sustained my lifelong addiction to video games without a friend of my mother's giving us his kids' NES because they never played it.

I would rent games from the local video store which only had like two dozen to choose from at its best point, so there were enough repeats that it was like owning some of them. I think Zelda 2 was the first game I actually owned after receiving the system and the title theme for that game still blows me away with memories of how great turning that on for the first time was.

Since then I've owned each Nintendo home console, a Dreamcast and an original X-Box. I can play PS2 games because my girlfriend has one, but I've never bought a Sony system, nor do I intend to.

Mokbie

Woah?

I begun with my old friend the NES. Starting to play Legend of Zelda and Mario Bros. And a couple of good and bad games. After that, we skipped the SNES and we did bought a N64. In 2003 we bought the GameCube because of The Wind Waker and after the Cube we bought the Wii. I also had an PS1 and still have the PS2. And all the handheld's from Nintendo. :)

----------

[img:31pt9io3]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/CrazySoldier/LuckyStar.gif[/img:31pt9io3]

Tales of Guitarra

My First console was the Gamecube (first gaming device was a GBA). Now I have a GameCube, a Wii, a DS and a GBA.

Eloustical

Novice umong experts

Playstation 1, I had over 53 games for it

----------

They shouldn't have named it the Wii, it's the butt of too many stupid jokes. They should've named it the Perfect Nintendo Entertainment System(PNES).

cyberlink

the hyperactive dude

my first was the N64, i still think back with nostalgy to those times. i still play it occasionally but nowadays i'm more a shooter fan on the PC (as well as playing on the X-box 360)

----------

guitar: Cort Z22 Zenox Black
amp: Vox DA5

Alex123456789

my first was a N64 my first game was Loz orcarina and i still play it its the best system

MattTheParanoidKat

Raging Dick

"BooDoo" posted:

I can play PS2 games because my girlfriend has one, but I've never bought a Sony system, nor do I intend to.

Why is that? The ps2 is the best selling console of all time for a reason, and you can probably get one for 80 dollars if you look real hard. Unless you're just happy playing with your girlfriends ps2. But yeah, it's an amazing system with a godlike amount of good games.

JaktheStripper

Kicker of Asses

"MattTheParanoidKat" posted:

"BooDoo" posted:

I can play PS2 games because my girlfriend has one, but I've never bought a Sony system, nor do I intend to.

Why is that? The ps2 is the best selling console of all time for a reason, and you can probably get one for 80 dollars if you look real hard. Unless you're just happy playing with your girlfriends ps2. But yeah, it's an amazing system with a godlike amount of good games.

some people like to limit themselfs from great games by blind fanboy nature, in all honesty its stupid and immature and could definately hurt the gaming world. hate the system because its controller hurts your hands, or it killed your mom.... or just dont buy it if it doesnt have any great games, but a ps2.. come on dude your full of it if you say it did one of the previously mentioned things. PLAY GAMES NOT SYSTEMS and TAKE a chance on a new unheard game, just because its not #6 of a series doesnt mean its completely terrible... *hops off the soapbox* :D

Oh and my first system was an NES, It was a christmas present to my family when i was about 3 months old. Earliest memories are of dragon warrior's fight music and Super mario bros overworld.
First system I actually bought myself was PS3, then followed by Xbox360 a half year later damn expensive times lol. To think of all the money over the years I and my parents have spent on gaming... :| nearly 2 decades gaming and still going strong :D

----------

Gear: ESP LTD Eclipse 300 /w EMG H4z's, ESP AX50 with Dimebucker in bridge
Blackheart [By Crate] Tube Half Stack
Korg G3 Processor, Ibanez Smashbox, BBE stomp maximizer.