You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Random Original Song (midi)

SixStringDealey

I'm a bit of an avid power tab user. It's simply a great way for me to figure out precise timings and keep track of my original works. Anyway, I just finished what I think is one of my better original works. I've exported a midi and you guys seem like the kind of crowd that can really dig it, so if you're interested, here's a .zip with both the power tab and midi. You've got to love that gunshot snare lol. :P

(Nice Groove.Zip)

I thought of saving it for an appropriate contest, but I would have felt like a cheat pullin' this guy off of the back burner all nice and ready to go. xD

[EDIT]
Since it's conception, I've taken hslesperance's advice and tux guitared it up. I tried to keep other feed back in mind as well and it's lead to something that I'm pretty happy with.

TuxGuitar Version (Tab included in .zip): (Nice Groove (Tux).mid) / Nice Groove (Tux).Zip

Since I last updated, I've cleaned up the string section, given the bass and percussion some love and improved the flow in general. It's in a state of completion for now, but I hope to write a movement or two after consulting with my vocalist friend. If it goes farther, maybe i'll post an update. thanks for the help, guys! xD

Haha it's fine you can't be

BigHeadClan

Haha it's fine you can't be expected to write something inspiring all the time, I've done it a few times for a couple entry's when I couldn't seem to write anything worth wild.

Not a bad tune, I like the slow building up.

SixStringDealey

hehe, i've got enough free time to do the contests legit lately, so it's all good. xD

this thing all started from a 2 man jam that was me and my looper and a friend on vocals. so yeah, i just gradually brought all of the layers in to keep it interesting. xD

Cool song, I like the muted

hslesperance

Cool song, I like the muted guitar part, kinda makes me think of this. Could maybe use some more variation and a melody. Neat idea using the piano chords to get around the three staff limit.

And I mentioned on a contest here that you can use tuxguitar if you wanted more options for drums that are difficult to put into powertab.

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

ah, right!

SixStringDealey

thanks for the feed back. I'm going to try out "Audacity" at a friend's some time soon. if that doesn't work out, i'll check out tux!

my friend had some various melodies to add with vocals, but yeah, i hope to work a different part or 2 somewhere in there eventually.

that muted guitar was originally my fav part. it's meant to have some wah on it to add some funky electric feeling into the mix, but it still sounds alright. xD once i wrote the bass at the end though, i was sold on that bit. i always forget how much i love to write bass. heh.

[Edit:] almost missed your link. damn cool stuff! i've got a little project of my own moving along currently. I hope any of it sounds anywhere near that cool. xD

just got tux

SixStringDealey

it (TuxGuitar, i mean) is indeed very shiney. :D will post a new version when i've had time to figure it out! i can put any of these instruments in a single percussion track, eh? aww man. i'ma have cymbals and crashes and everything. xD

Cool song man, it's pretty

jit

Cool song man, it's pretty chill. I like the percussion, the muted lead, and the bell melody panned. Just incase you didn't know, you can upload your songs within Gametabs by going to My Account on the top Let, My Account, File Browser, and Upload.

If you like composing music, you should probably move to something more intricate such as a DAW. I believe Reaper is free, and combined with some free plugins, you can have a very powerful program on your fingertips.

Yep still free with plenty of

BigHeadClan

Yep still free with plenty of plug-ins available.

i've been looking at reaper

SixStringDealey

reaper does look great, but it only seems to come with one vst instrument (but a bunch of vst effects) and i haven't been very successful in finding a good pack of instruments. the reason i'd love to start with midi as a base is because i don't know musical theory, but i do know the timing and the neck of the guitar / bass really well. so it'd save me time to start in power tab or something similar and then do a midi import.

what's DAW? thanks for the feed back. :D

oh, reaper is like a 6 day trial or so, unless you purchase a license. (personal/small business license is only $60 which isn't bad at all compared to other big names) downloaded it just 2 days ago.

Re: i've been looking at reaper

jit

SixStringDealey said

reaper does look great, but it only seems to come with one vst instrument (but a bunch of vst effects) and i haven't been very successful in finding a good pack of instruments. the reason i'd love to start with midi as a base is because i don't know musical theory, but i do know the timing and the neck of the guitar / bass really well. so it'd save me time to start in power tab or something similar and then do a midi import.

what's DAW? thanks for the feed back. :D

oh, reaper is like a 6 day trial or so, unless you purchase a license. (personal/small business license is only $60 which isn't bad at all compared to other big names) downloaded it just 2 days ago.

Actually, from the last time I checked at least, is free. The 60 day trial is based on an honor system that if you are satisfied with it, then you can choose to pay. And while DAWs can be overwhelming at first, if you concentrate on a single feature(in this case midi and it's piano roll), look up tutorials on youtube, and take your time to learn it, it becomes much easier than powertabs and increases your capabilities. Then you can learn how to add live tracks such as your guitar with the midi and learn how to mix it...something that powertabs can't do.

As a DAW user, I barely know any music theory myself, never cared to learn, nor will I ever do. That's up to you if you want to pursue that. I just try to play around till I find something that sounds okay. It's a matter of experimenting imo.

TuxGuitar Remix!!

SixStringDealey

oh, i'm a singer/guitar-based songwriter (also love bass and mess around on drums :P) so i'm happy to learn to do any sort of recording / producing. xD i've been teaching myself how to record and work with sony acid for a few years. basically, i know my writing is tighter than my playing haha. plus i want to throw in some keys / synth (like the strings section) kind of stuff here and there. maybe i just need to spend some more time hunting down some instruments for reaper. xD

if anyone has any suggestions for a good freeware program (one that can specifically import full midi songs into individual tracks that can be assigned Good Quality "instruments"), that'd be sweet. messin' with tux guitar for now haha. it's a step up from power tab! though with all new intricacies to get used to. bah. between this and learning unity / blender / C# i've got soo many interfaces to learn lol

i do look forward to writing some stuff without the frets in mind (drums are fun xD), it's just that i can only label notes based off of the frets (even imagined ones) that they are played on. need to learn piano chords. i suppose i could draw pictures of the ones that i would intend to use at the time. hah

[Edited Links for further mixing. xD It's just too bad i can't use the "chorus / reverb / phaser effects. soundcard's ears can't do it. :/]
anyway, here's a TuxGuitar Remix/ TuxGuitar tab. she's groovin' now! xD: Nice Groove (Tux).zip

and here's just the midi: Nice Groove (Tux).mid

(I am using my file storage btw, i just label my links with the names of the files for clarity. xD)

The new version is an

hslesperance

The new version is an improvement. Good idea panning the guitar to both sides. You might not need it, but here's a list of percussion instruments for midi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI#Percussion

I'm not sure about having the percussion and guitars in the first measure. Maybe remove those and just have everything slowly build up until measure 25.

The reverb and other effects should work, but they don't show up on a midi export, only on a wav export; then you can convert the wav to an mp3.

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

i feel ya on the intro. i

SixStringDealey

i feel ya on the intro. i might use this for a game some day, so the idea of having it loop was appealing. thought it was a simple way to bridge the gap. i typically like things that are a bit "trippy" but yeah. maybe it spoils what's to come a little. i'll take it out for now. suppose i'll make the changes i had in mind to the whole build up while i'm at it haha. it's soo nice having more tracks to work with!

i've been using the "view matrix", but just knowing the numbers would definitely save me some time, thanks!

hmm. the effects didn't work in the program (during preview) so i figured they wouldn't work for me at all. i don't see wav among the options for export, though. (lillypond and MusicXML are options, whatever they are xD). i know sony acid could change it to wav/mp3/flac/whatever, i don't think it would separate my tracks for me, though.

Can't Stop Updating O_o

SixStringDealey

added a new lead guitar. some further clean-up / midi voice changes. if i break the links, the most recent files are in my storage. xD i've started to reach the limits of midi capabilities, though lol. some stuff cuts out a little here and there during play-back for me. I assume it's because i've gone up to 10 tracks. (2 of which form a string section and 2 others that make up an 8-piece drum kit.) bah.