You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest #54 - Puzzle Minigame

Avaruussaha

At first I was thinking tetris and arcade music but couldn't find examples for what was in my mind for this theme. Lets just say I encourage something light hearted and loops neatly, the player might be solving the 'puzzle in question' for who knows how long?

The FF card game tracks, Zelda Mini Game come to mind. Or one could come up with something cool for whack-a-mole, you name it.

One loop of at least 30s repeated, for a total of 1+ minute

Due January 28

awww sweet

SixStringDealey

i've had a half-written little ditty sittin' all by itself in a folder titled "needs bass" for a few years and it happens to suit this theme perfectly. xD and so finally, it has bass! wewt!

i used some midi instruments that sounded nice together, but it's all playable on guitar/bass so i'll post the power tab, too. threw in some toms just for the sake of percussion, but it sounds cool without 'em. that "ticking clock" sort of feeling always adds pressure to a puzzle, though. xD

midi: something.mid
powertab: something(power tab).zip

cool theme, and we already

soundsandstuff

cool theme, and we already have 1 entry! awesome!

Ohh I love the toms. I hope

Avaruussaha

Ohh I love the toms. I hope importing the midi into Guitar Pro didn't break anything, it seems like the only way for me to play midi is either GP or fooling around with VSTis.

aww, powertab is just my easy

SixStringDealey

aww, powertab is just my easy go-to and exporting a midi is much quicker than trying to record. xD i'm hoping to find a good program that can import my midi's made with power tab and output something of much nicer quality in the future.

usually guitar pro picks it up alright. slides and bends and stuff can get a bit weird, so i bet they might sound a little off. the bass does more of this than either guitar. hopefully it's smooth! :P

s'pose so

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

I think I'll give this one a go. We shall see. There's so much that needs doing :-/

----------

"You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you."

Hmm I think I'll take a crack

BigHeadClan

Hmm I think I'll take a crack at this one, seems like an easy one I can fit in to my schedule.

Submission: Puzzle Theme

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Well, here we go. I'm actually very proud of this song. It took me way less time than it usually does to compose, even short songs like this take much, much longer XD. I composed this within a few hours in one sitting. I then let it sit for a day and then re-listened to make sure I was happy with it. I only made a few small changes.

There was a Bamboo Flute part but I took it out because I didn't think it needed to be in what I will call the "game version" XD... I like how it turned out, though...even the badly played parts XD (that's why they are still there... well, they will be in the "other version" XD).

I really wanted to add in some more instruments to be honest, but I wanted to make the piece at least 30sec (I got in a bit below that XD) and the only way to get them in would be to cram them all in the ~30 seconds, which I didn't want to do. I will probably make an extended version though, because I really had fun composing this piece and would love to extend it and add more instruments (erhu, for one). And before this contest I had sort of really been wanting to compose a piece of Asian-like music and this contest gave me the chance to finally do that! If I end up doing an extended version and finishing it before the deadline, I may replace it with this one. If not, you'll end up hearing it eventually.

Anyway, I imagined an origami game when composing this... I know, Chinese music and Origami don't exactly mix together. But I thought I'd try something a little different XD Maybe I'll make a Japanese-style track just for the hell of it. Anyway, if you want, you can imagine this going along with Mahjong instead of an origami game :D. And finally, the song loops once and then there is a sort of outro/ending (the arpeggio at the end, which is also the intro to the piece, minus the last two beats...I suppose I could have done a fade out, but the outro works nicely, I think). I know it's a little under 30seconds, but I didn't want to just tack on something to make it fit 30 secs or slow it down a lot. I felt like that wouldn't be doing the music any good. Enough talking, here's the piece "Origami Puzzle Game Gameplay Music" (this could probably work for the Title Screen, too).

PS I had to compress it so that it would fit in my storage on the site. I hope it still sounds nice despite that.

----------

Art Drawing!

Nice one Dante, sounds like

hslesperance

Nice one Dante, sounds like it could be in an Okami game.

Does the theme have to be an actual puzzle, like something that you solve and have to think about; or can it be any type of minigame? I was thinking of doing a song for a hide and seek minigame.

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

I guess my initial idea was

Avaruussaha

I guess my initial idea was really a puzzle, but during writing the original post I started leaning towards the general minigame. No need to think only about puzzles.

This theme should be so

Brody

This theme should be so simple, but I don't find a solid beginning for now. I hope the inspirations are flying again to me^^

I kind of missed the part

jit

I kind of missed the part where you said light hearted. The piece has dark undertones since I love playing games like Braid, Limbo, the Misadventures of Winterbottom, and Final Fantasy's dungeon puzzles. I'll make a more light hearted one but I'm actually kind of proud of this piece which I whipped together in the past 15 minutes.

Done Jin Puzzel

Hah I'm in the same situation

BigHeadClan

Hah I'm in the same situation as Brody, I know once I sit down and get the opening it will come together. I'm going for something bouncy myself.

Nice job btw Jit

Ok I found a sound that could

Brody

Ok I found a sound that could fit for me. It's something like a funny puzzle mini game. Just imagine a game where you have to sort many things and don't have much time. The more you get, the more points you become.
And here's the soundtrack: PuzzleDuzzle ^^

really cool, brody! it sounds

SixStringDealey

really cool, brody! it sounds like the theme song to an awesome cartoon or something, to me. lots of energy. yours was cool, too jit. immediately made me think of Link trying to figure his way through some long dungeon. definitely an RPG / dungeon crawly kind of vibe. :P

well...here is my entry -

Deaugustino

well...here is my entry - Learn(from your mistakes).

This may be the first entry

BigHeadClan

This may be the first entry Brody didn't get me to laugh my ass off for, it's a great entry in every way... it just wasn't a full right field entry that I'm used to. lol

This may be Brody's most normal entry to date.

Haha you got me Big Head :D

Brody

Haha you got me Big Head :D the inspiration wasn't eneugh for more this time.
Great peaces @ SixStrings, Deaugustino and jit, the choose will be hard again.

i had a few minutes tonight.

tiger child

any excuse to record is a good one.

so this is about a little glowing beacon of love traversing the canals and inner-workings of the heart and bloodstream.

PUZZ PUZZ (or, A Journey to the Heart)

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

Approximately one week yet to

Avaruussaha

Approximately one week yet to go, and we got a healthy amount of entries already, nice!

A healthy amount of entries

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

A healthy amount of entries indeed.

Is anyone else having trouble with getting comments approved? I posted a few comments as well as my submission several days ago and I still don't see them. I contacted Ash but have not yet received a response. :(

----------

Re: A healthy amount of entries

Avaruussaha

DanteUruzu said

A healthy amount of entries indeed.

Is anyone else having trouble with getting comments approved? I posted a few comments as well as my submission several days ago and I still don't see them. I contacted Ash but have not yet received a response. :(

Oh, I was also wondering about Hslespserance's comment about Dante's submission, which I definitely don't see at the moment.

I published Dante's comment,

hslesperance

I published Dante's comment, not sure what caused that. I didn't realize you guys couldn't read it.

----------

Ah

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Ah, there it is. Thanks! And thanks for the comment, too :)

While we're on the subject, there was another comment I posted on this thread that still hasn't made it through the abyss. May you check it out?

----------

Dante, I published your

hslesperance

Dante, I published your comment on the other thread and this one directly above mine.

----------

Catch Me If You CanFinally

hslesperance

Catch Me If You Can

Finally got my new headphones in the mail so I could work on this. Like I said above, it's a hidenseek/tag game. I was thinking when the chaser gets close to their target the music would switch to 0:26 with the rising chords and if you fail to catch the person then you get that fail music at 0:30. If you do catch the person in time then that very last part plays.

----------

nice. it reminds me of some

SixStringDealey

nice. it reminds me of some old yoshi's island for SNES or something. xD

Looks like we are going to

Avaruussaha

Looks like we are going to survive without extending the deadline this time... Could it be?

Edit: turns out I'm gonna be late with this :P Working on it though.

Phew, a bit late, but thats

Avaruussaha

Phew, a bit late, but thats what happens when one happens to install Civ4 again...

Long story short, I'm picking SixStringDealey as the next host. In my case I had to import the midi into GP5, but it seemed to stay in shape perfectly fine. Cleverly named Something is loopy, light on the ears and has quite a refreshing feel into it.

Not to take anything away from the others, lots of submissions and all of them deserved many repeated listens before coming to a conclusion. DanteUruzu I will name as the runner up though, 'oriental stuff' is cool, hoping to find a chance to take a shot at it myself sometime (Also if you did have a longer version with added stuff, I'd love to hear it too).

And heres some thoughts on all of the entries, not to be taken too seriously I suppose.

SixStringDealey - Something
Some sort of a hide and seek game springs to mind, the drums make me think of something lurking in high grass. Maybe someone is hiding bananas in the bushes? Who's gonna find them? You, me, someone.

DanteUruzu - Focus!
A point&click adventure game, we have just landed on a foreign continent and something is fishy with the people and they refuse to communicate. First step is to beat the local village head in the popular 'local chess game'. (Turns out no one speaks English)

Soundsandstuff
Think this one works quite well with SixStringDealey's trolly banana hiding app. I mean, the L block is almost like a banana.

Jit - Them
In this particular game you play as an army officer watching a strategic map, littered with small soldier figurines. One by one you choose which of your own troops you take off the board (Eventually all, this game is about losing as slow as possible) and prepare to deliver the bad news to the families. Oh the tragedy...

Brody - PuzzleDuzzel

Fun and fast, this could be racing... Menu music for Need For Speed? Last NFS I have played was NFS3 Hot Pursuit for the original Playtation, maybe the music has changed since, but this seems to fit.

Deaugustino - Learn
A slow paced quiz with no big rewards or heavy penalties. Or maybe an ice cream stand simulator? It's that peaceful!

Tigerchild - PUZZ-PUZZ (Journey to the Heart)
This one is from an educational game. The purpose is to introduce students to the anatomy of the heart and blood in general. Involves flying around in vein mazes as a white blood cell and stuff. It is a lot more fun to play than read schoolbooks, so everyone loves it.

Hslesperance - Catch me if you can
A stupidly hard platformer minigame where you absolutely need both hands, eyes and ears to be as coordinated as possible to finish. If you don't move in the jolly rhythm you die and start from the beginning. Many times.

edit: I'm so bad at writing Hslesperances name

Good job everyone, let's see

jit

Good job everyone, let's see what we have next!

bananas? cleverly named? xD

SixStringDealey

bananas? cleverly named? xD lol you should see my mess of tabs some time. :P

in either case, thank you. :D there were lots of cool submissions, for sure!

so now it seems i need to become familiar with setting up proper criteria for the next one. i'm already decided on a theme, less-so on the date. or does the date have a typical flow anyway? 3 weeks to a month would probably be cool. or less. i dunno. xD but the theme will be this:

- submitted songs should tell a story of some sort (redemption, confusion, finding your way, etc) without the use of lyrics (which is probably typical anyway haha).
- the main idea is that i simply love music that can make the listener feel and understand the intended "mood" of the writer very clearly without having to resort to words.
- however, you can type a brief paragraph describing the situation that the song is meant to accompany. details like time / location / characters and their motivations / goals. simple stuff!
- let the music do the majority of the talking. :D

i guess i'll copy and paste that into a thread as soon as i know what the dead-line should be. :P

Ha, you can just copy/paste

hslesperance

Ha, you can just copy/paste it or write hsl

Good job SixString! Lately we have been making the deadlines 3 weeks and if someone asks for more time they can get a few days extension.

Stories is a good theme, we actually did that a while back on the second contest.

http://www.gametabs.net/forum/topic/21919

----------

oh cool. good thing the last

SixStringDealey

oh cool. good thing the last story theme was a while back, then. xD feel free to create the next thread if you'd like haha. i think what i typed above is clear enough. it is typically expected that the material is to be original, right? if not, that would ideally be part of the criteria, too. :P

i'll submit my own example soon, though i don't intend on choosing myself as the "winner" haha.

Really? This song beat Dante,

iamHoustonian

You don’t need to see my identification…

Really? This song beat Dante, Hsl and tigerchild's entries? Hmmmm
I thought these were the top because they had dynamic, tight sounds.

The song that won, sounded a bit stale. Just too basic midi sounding idk
I listened to the midi and the file on tux guitar. It was structurally sound but those bell sounds were killing me hahaha it's not like I could do any better haha :-) good luck dude

Honestly if I go only by

Avaruussaha

Honestly if I go only by production quality and such, theres only a few SUPER contenders from the same participants most of the time. The rules this time made some emphasis on simple loopiness, which I guess can be a bit stale since its not overly exciting.

For sure, I feel ya.It isn't

iamHoustonian

For sure, I feel ya.
It isn't the looping really but the choice of sounds. Sounded harsh to me as opposed to Dante's , which I thought sounded really good.
Just my opinion dude :)

When I look at these tune contests I try to listen to each song objectively and if the song that jumps out at me as sounding good happens to be from a person who wins alot, well I guess it just is what it is haha.

heh. it's a power tab

SixStringDealey

heh. it's a power tab exported midi so i simply chose from the very limited midi sounds to come up with a few that worked well together for the song. i am in need of some vsti's and have spent several hours to no avail trying to find a good variety of free ones.

i thought my combination of vibraphone, piano, toms and bass was a good complimentary variety. especially considering that the tunes were requested to sound light-hearted. i can certainly admit that other entries were better than mine in various ways (that hearty one was very interesting!, though i thought that the mood sounded kind of dark xD), but eh. i think it's really cool that he picked my entry for the song itself and not simply because of the quality. i'll have the same outlook in choosing the next winner. a good idea is a good idea. :P

i actually hadn't heard dante's until right now due to the weird posting error. really cool and sound very authentic!

Indeed. I haven't tried

Avaruussaha

Indeed. I haven't tried tuxguitar so Im not sure if the midibleeps sound different, in my case the bell sounds sounded good enough :P I do encourage SixString to delve into something past pure midi, I played around with the track he posted in Reaper and I do think it is quite solid. Lets see what the future holds for us.

i did find one possible

SixStringDealey

i did find one possible treasure trove of vsti's for reaper but haven't gone into them yet. doing lots of writing and various things in general, lately. xD I do some recording, too, but it's a lot more work to go that route heh. TuxGuitar works from the same midi sounds but there are little differences here and there. the ability to use way more layers (tracks) and do full drum kits / percussion is definitely a big plus when compared to power tab. I find power tab's slide effects to be a lot more dynamic, though. either way, i don't look at either of them as programs for making top quality music haha. more so just to take note of ideas. :D

There are little things you

iamHoustonian

There are little things you can do in midi programs to make your sounds more dynamic(vibrato, syncopation etc.)
I don't know how to do it but I can tell the difference between a midi that has been tweaked to sound really good and one that has little to no extra umph! put into the notes. The midi sounds more deliberate and mechanical with no "feeling" in it.
Like this song I made for Watts the blacksmith from Secret of Mana -WATTS-
It's pretty cool but if I knew more about how to make midis more dynamic, I'm sure I could make it sound sicker :-)

I'm not trying to take anything from you, man. It's just for me, the other midis seemed to be worked on alot in that respect and it translated well in their pieces.

Re: bananas? cleverly named? xD

jit

SixStringDealey said

bananas? cleverly named? xD lol you should see my mess of tabs some time. :P

in either case, thank you. :D there were lots of cool submissions, for sure!

so now it seems i need to become familiar with setting up proper criteria for the next one. i'm already decided on a theme, less-so on the date. or does the date have a typical flow anyway? 3 weeks to a month would probably be cool. or less. i dunno. xD but the theme will be this:

- submitted songs should tell a story of some sort (redemption, confusion, finding your way, etc) without the use of lyrics (which is probably typical anyway haha).
- the main idea is that i simply love music that can make the listener feel and understand the intended "mood" of the writer very clearly without having to resort to words.
- however, you can type a brief paragraph describing the situation that the song is meant to accompany. details like time / location / characters and their motivations / goals. simple stuff!
- let the music do the majority of the talking. :D

i guess i'll copy and paste that into a thread as soon as i know what the dead-line should be. :P

It's "tradition" that winner makes the thread. Usually 2-3 week deadlines barring any reason to extend it.

Secondly, I think that might be a bit too vague. You can literally write anything you want and it can be a "story." Also writing a brief paragraph describing the situation completely defeats your prior point where "music can make the listener feel and understand the intended "mood" of the writer very clearly without having to resort to words."

I would make some modifications to some of the criteria and add a few constraints unless you want to make a freestyle theme which has been done(but not in awhile).

oh i'm quite aware of the

SixStringDealey

oh i'm quite aware of the various "effects / techniques" used in midi (particularly with Power Tab and TuxGuitar). if you were to load the power tab, you would see that within my quite simple submission, i'm using several different types of slides, vibrato (not that a vibraphone needs it :P), hammer-ons and pull-offs, letting certain notes ring out while most dissipate naturally, etc. unfortunately, i need a download link in order to listen to midi's. my quick time player is kind of messed up. which is too bad because i love some old school FF xD this is an example of what i can do with midi when i put more serious effort into it, though. I could have submitted this in place of my original entry really as the whole thing does loop haha. xD

hmmm. i honestly kind of like the idea of the next theme being kind of open-ended in terms of the mood / style. but if more people would prefer, we could do without the accompanying paragraph and strictly leave all of the story-telling to the music. what do you guys think?

i think that the music should be thought of as music to accompany a scene in a movie or video game, where the scene is definable by each person to submit their piece. this allows people to write what they want to write at the time and stand a good chance based on the complexity and clarity of the "mood" or "message" being delivered through the music. in any case, the "winning" song will be the entry that sounds most well thought-out and clearly defines it's various moods to me through the music. i guess i like the idea of leaving it entirely to the music, really. :P will make the post tomorrow.

Okay, cool. Are you aware of

iamHoustonian

Okay, cool.
Are you aware of accenting notes and articulation like staccato and legato too?
That's some next level stuff I was referring to.

oh yeah. though slides in

SixStringDealey

oh yeah. though slides in general are a bit awkward when it comes to midi. depending on the program for example, i might use a "pull off" instead of a "slide downwards out of" simply because in terms of the midi, it actually sounds more realistic that way. when it comes to guitar technique, i'm a rhythm player (i'm a singer/song writer, so i like to leave the leads to friends.), but i've been playing over 10 years (various bands and solo shows and a lot of "open mic" experience xD), so i've had my time to learn. i can do much more than i am capable of actually playing in terms of writing, though.

i've got quite a collection of self-made powertabs (originals, randoms, covers, arrangements, etc) from over the years. using power tab so much is actually a big part of how i've bettered myself as a musician. especially concerning learning proper timings and notation, playing in key, root notes, layers and harmonies. i also started writing bass lines with it well before i had actually ever played one hehe.

and hey, if you can get me a download link to your watts midi i really would dig checking it out. xD i'm not sure what i did to my quicktime to make it so angry with me lol.