You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

FF7 Album promotion & discussion, next event : NES Tribute Album ! - page 2

I would love to arrange

surreal

Eric: tank,godlike

I would love to arrange something for bastion or something modern. So I agree with Rex, as always.

Never said this must be a 5-6

hashel

Never said this must be a 5-6 tracks album o_O I just said that's not a big deal of few people enter :)

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

@surreal:@hashel: yeah, I

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

@surreal: my bro

@hashel: yeah, I meant in any case this is what is decided. Seeing the success of the first one, people will probably be there for the other ones.

@Hashel sorry I flaked on

iamHoustonian

You don’t need to see my identification…

@Hashel sorry I flaked on finishing my FFVII track haha
It's pretty annoying trying to record anything between all of the background noises and mess-ups.
Kind of turns playing music into a task for me. Not diggin' that haha
Maybe it will get easier in the future.

@RexLeRouge Do you hate FFVII or VI? or all of them? haha
Everyone has their tastes. Hope you aren't disregarding the games mainly because of their hype.
Personally, RPG/Adventure games from the SNES and Playstation eras are my games of choice, with FFVI and VII being up there in my top 10. Many of these games are personal and either the person loves it or they don't. My point is, while the classics like the FF series, Zelda and Megaman have been "done and done and done", alot of people have a connection with them and a sense of comradery with others who love those games. Though I'm just speaking from my experiences I've had with friends when we've discovered our mutual love for these games :-)

I see where you're coming from though, wanting something new and fresh. It's just, for me, games like Super Meat Boy and Bastion fall short of being something I'll remember for the rest of my life. As little as they appeal to me, they could be awesome for you. Same goes for the FF series or FFVII/VI or whatever. I'm sure you have your reasons for the hate haha Hopefully this doesn't look like I'm trying to disagree and rant. I guess I felt the need to show that even though a game can be considered "mainstream" or hated or beloved, it has almost no effect on why alot of people love that game.

I vote for FFVI, Hashel!!!

Yheaaaa 1 Vote for THE BEST

hashel

Yheaaaa 1 Vote for THE BEST FF EVER (yhea, really!)

VIDEO TRAILER : http://www.mediafire.com/watch/5m0zh4lgjl1d859/Trailer.mp4

It's a 1st try, i'm not really good at making this kind of things X)
If you have tips or suggestions they are welcome !

----------

@iamhoustonian: Played FF1

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

@iamhoustonian: Played FF1 and a bit of VII. I've never been into RPGs, but I played my share of them. Like for Uematsu, my hatred is not directed to the games but to the overlove that exist for them. Is it that much better than Earthbound, Golden Sun, Tales of, or Pokemon? It really did not feel that way for me...
It's just the same way I don't understand how OOT overshadows MM that much. Everytime I can take a crap on OOT to let some light shine on MM, I gladly do it.

As always, tastes :D

@hashel: Nice, isn't it a little long though? I think 1:30/1:50 max would be ideal.
Also there's a mistake: completely*

Oops forgot a "e" :DOk i'll

hashel

Oops forgot a "e" :D

Ok i'll try to make it shorter !
Are the font and colors ok ?
Do you think i should write somthign more ?

I edited the songs informations, now it looks like that : http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/408/ywv.png

----------

Re: Oops forgot a "e" :DOk i'll

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

I'm not a fan of the font, it looks kinda squashed. And the nummers are too different from the letters.

On aime peut etre pas les memes jeux, mais je pense qu'on aime la meme couleur :D

@RexLeRouge For sure, I feel

iamHoustonian

@RexLeRouge For sure, I feel ya bro. Earthbound is sick! and Secret of Mana is my fav game of all time, so I'm not really trying to say the FF series is the best or anything.
Just that it's a bummer to see someone dislike a game or series with their opinion being tightly based around the games overlove. Maybe it's because I love those games and can't imagine someone having an opposite reaction to them haha.
I know that same feeling though of not liking something and hating it more because it's so popular. I'm that way with the tv shows "Game of Thrones" and "Breaking bad". Saw one episode of each show and I just didn't like it and the fact that everyone tells me to watch it just makes it that much less appealing.
Like you said... tastes :-) hehe peace dude

Hash wrote: Ok i'll try to

Vulpes

Shadowfox

Hash wrote:
Ok i'll try to make it shorter !
Are the font and colors ok ?
Do you think i should write somthign more ?

mhm...taking shorter audio-sequences should help...only incisive spots of the respective song^^
(Rofl, incisive = prägnant in german, I first wanted to write pregnant xD )

I have no problem with the Colors and the Font should be ok also, jeah, it's a Final Fantasy font^^
Maybe the numbers could be more fitting to the letters..they visually step out of line... (the FF-font has no numbers in it, so that's another font...)

It's a trailer, so I think, that's enough information in that short time... maybe later the source for the download xD

I noticed one mistake: one participant's name, he's called Brody, not Bordy xD

I vote for NES... I never had any, but I had one game from it (that later was converted to the Super Nintendo xD)
Well... on another album after that we may vary the topics, old games, new games, actual games, like suggested fire, volcano etc... everything is possible :)
And I don't think, the next stuff will also take a whole year to do, so we have many options for the future :)

the download source will be

hashel

the download source will be in the description :)

IS IT BETTER ? https://www.mediafire.com/?5m0zh4lgjl1d859

Tomorrow i'll put the songs on 2 CD's, that will harmonize the volum of the tracks and then, put them back on my computer !

After that all we need are the back covers; Hakoria is working on them :)

----------

Re: the download source will be

Juja

What do you mean by harmonizing the volume of the tracks? I'm guessing you mean making it so there aren't drastic volume differences. If that's the case, you really shouldn't quiet my songs down or anything, since that would probably just make it sound... weaker.

I'm sure Auriplane can explain all of this in technical terms.

I understand what you mean

hashel

I understand what you mean (and that's maybe the reason i can't have a "big" rhythm sound, i always normalise my tracks lower).

Well it's automaticly done with realplayer, idk if it well make the lower songs louder, or the loudest songs quiter.
I'll give a try and then post the resultas AND the originals here so we can compare whats better or not.

----------

"I'm guessing you mean making

Vulpes

Shadowfox

"I'm guessing you mean making it so there aren't drastic volume differences."

That's what I meant too :)

As I wrote in the other thread, a 100% adaption won't be possible, but there won't be any extreme jumps from
normal > silent > extremely loud > silent etc.
We shouldn't see this too strict, because this album has 21 different sources, normally one album is recorded in one studio ;) So...that's no mistake if a listener will notice this too^^

I tested a program that claimed to be able to adjust the volume depending on the "felt loudness" and make all songs more or less equal, but the result was horrible, it created more differences between other songs and they sounded *mäh*^^ So I don't think, the realplayer will be able to do that and it has to be done manually...
Simply making the loud ones more silent or silent ones more loud (...those player is intern doing that only by adjusting the volumecontrol I think) won't help, it may only destroy something.

Are you editing the mp3s in this matter? That should also be destructive, they are already converted and compressed.

I don't edit the MP3 ._. I

hashel

I don't edit the MP3 ._. I just put them n a real CD with a sound volum harmoniser

----------

And what is that harmonizer

Vulpes

Shadowfox

And what is that harmonizer doing to the files? xD

It also shouldn't be a normal way to be forced to burn it on a real cd for this final process, that's veeery unusual oO (.mp3 to .cda and then back to .mp3 or only as an mp3-cd?)

My Foobar and Aimp3 have also the ability to an automatized adjustment of the songs but that's only by the volume control.
This is a feature for playing everything of your collection (many artists, genres etc.) without running to the volume-switch for each starting song^^

Normally this volume-stuff is done during the final mastering (f.e. with a Mast.-Maximizer-Vst) and before anything is converted or burned on CD :)

Okay, depending on the dynamics and/or (hyper-^^)compression the individual felt loudness may vary, but there might not be extreme volume jumps betweeen the songs.

Please do not confuse that harmonizer for ready files with the final adjustments on raw material^_^

Okay i'm lost ! I just wanted

hashel

Okay i'm lost !
I just wanted to use RealPlayer 16+ to put the MP3 on a mp3 CD, it automaticaly harmonyze the tracks, IDK how, and then putting them back on my computer.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/uoroqgls1791jre/ff7.rar
Here are the tracks, do what you can if it's possible without degrading the sound quality

----------

like i mentioned before, i've

SixStringDealey

like i mentioned before, i've never done a group of tunes together, but i think i've got the basic idea down. :P

you have to import each song into one audio project with whatever program works best for you. (maybe remember a couple secs of silence between tracks when they don't naturally flow) then you'd run them all through a compressor that's gently set to bring some of the really loud stuff down. i wouldn't worry as much about the real quiet bits because that tends to give you some hiss, especially on lower quality tracks. (mine, for example. i accidentally lowered the bit-rate quality on an important render and permanently screwed hours of work. meh xD)

seeing as they are sorted into 2 cd's worth, it might be good to do this one cd's worth at a time. some EQ work could be done, too (like a slight low / high cut). after you have the 2 done, you'd likely have to manually cut and render the individual tracks.

now that i've really put thought into it, it might actually sound better (if you're willing to make changes to the track-listing) to specifically group the more quiet/soft tracks together with some "average" ones for one half. then do the same thing with the loud ones / some average ones. anyway, others around here can explain this stuff better than me, i'm sure. xD

vulpes has done it before pretty successfully with your tracks, right? maybe he should take a crack at it. they all sounded really good. :P

[edit: i feel super-lame being the only person to use their real name on the track listing. lol]

The end is near xD

Vulpes

Shadowfox

---
Normally I do this:
Loading the unmastered mix into the DAW and then master it^^ (oh, that was short xD)
Normally I only do this with single tracks, here we have multiple songs, so I would do it like a few months back with Hash's stuff (that took me 2 hours xD) and load them all into one project but edit separately. Then I master them to an equal level (as shown in the DAW, standard setting is -0,3db max.) with a Mastering-Maximizer. (That's also a bit different from Normalizing)

[Czethros sent me a package of Vst last year I'm using from time to time, sometimes I try other stuff or my DAW-internal stuff or Ozone-which is the most comfortable^^ or combining those elements... experimental^^]
After that I listen through all exported tracks and if something is still -extremely- different from the others, I load it again and try different settings.
On Hash's stuff back then I also used a bit Multiband-compression (slightly for dynamics section) and additional Stereo-differentiation of the 4-bands (Lows to middle, heights spread further around...) and a vintage Mastering EQ-setting (slightly) I found in a german music board :) The settings were individually for each track, because they were all so different :)

---
---
I listened to Jujas stuff and they are already mastered, so I won't touch them :)

In waveform in Audacity the audible difference is visible though: The objective maximum reached loudness is the same, but Juja's dynamics are greater :) (I know I need more of them xD)

Paradox: even the clean played "PhantomTemple" seems a bit louder to me than "Birth of a god" (The drums are the loudest spots, you can clearly see them :) )

But in the end the difference is not -that- extreme, that the speakers gonna explode or you have to turn them up to maximum^^ It's within an acceptable range and that's the goal :)
As I said, we have 21 different sources of music, that's enormous!

Hash, if you agree, can you send them to me? The file behind your link is removed^^

Thanks six^^
Don't mind, your Government knows you are you, even if you use a nickname xD [/pol]

But I have time for it on Sunday (and tomorrow a bit before I drive to a concert^^), I'd post the result here on Monday :) ...well, the artwork isn't finished yet, so we can use the time :)
No hectic rush, that's never constructive :)

auriplane

Juja said

I'm sure Auriplane can explain all of this in technical terms.

Do you actually need me to explain anything here? It seems like the thread is doing fine without me :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

I sent you a PM vulpes =)

hashel

I sent you a PM vulpes =)
For the next album, is it possible to harmonise the tracks one by one, to have the same (more or less) volum ? Or ask people to set the volum at a certain level when they reord or whatever ? (i really have no knowledge on this topic).

Do you guys think Audacity is bad for sound quality, if i use an other recording prog, will tha sound quality of my recordings improve ?

----------

everything i've heard of

SixStringDealey

everything i've heard of yours has sounded great, hash. when i compare our clarity, i can hear every audible source of motion screaming at me in my recordings. but my gear is pretty weak and the space is not ideal. xD

assuming everyone uses a mixing program of some sort, you could at least have the limit set for future projects. (-0.3 as vulpes suggested is fine. i just see how close i can get to 0 without going over.) and 320 kbs quality mp3 or whatever other specifications, but there are so many different physical spaces / instruments / styles that having a similar sound between tracks is just not very likely.

in the future, you could possibly agree on certain volume levels for things. like maybe -3/-4 db limit for an average-volume bit (like a verse) and -0.3 for the loudest bits, (like chorus, guitar solos, etc.) etc. but that requires everyone to do this, themselves. well. or by someone, anyway. xD some songs are also just meant to either be quiet or super-loud the whole time. tons of issues haha, but there is possibility. :P

Ok ^^ i usualy chose -7db or

hashel

Ok ^^ i usualy chose -7db or even -10db X)
It's a bit quiet, i'm a shy guy ;D

----------

Juja

Heh, I just figured you could explain all the technical details.

I know I could have made Birth of a God louder, but when I did, the kick and snare drums became less clear, so I opted to have it a little quieter. I have not yet mastered being able to mix and master things so that they're really loud but still really clear.

I'm not an expert or anything, but you may as well have your songs as close to 0 db as possible, Hashel. Like, you could have the loudest parts of your song there and not even use any compression or anything, that way it will still sound the same only louder.

Ok thanks for the tips :D

hashel

Ok thanks for the tips :D

Héhéhéhé looks like NES gonna win... exactly as i planned, MWHAHAHAH !

----------

It doesn't make any sense to

auriplane

(responding to Six String Dealey)

Loudness is how loud something sounds to a human being. Peak amplitude is only loose correlated with this number, so it doesn't make sense to specify a peak amplitude of -3 or -4dB for quiet parts. (RMS amplitude is somewhat more closely correlated to loudness, but an RMS of -3dB would be shockingly, unlistenably loud, so I assume you don't mean that.)

In other words, if you made normalized a bunch of different tracks to -0.3dB peak amplitude, they'd all sound like different volumes. Even if you set the volumes based on RMS, they'd still end up different. So what should you do?

Just use your ears and ignore them numbers! :-)

Mix your song so it sounds good to you. Stay out of the red (don't come anywhere near clipping) and stay away from ridiculously low numbers like -60dB. But aside from that, ignore the numbers and use your ears.

If your track ends up too quiet, you can make it louder when you print the final mix. (If you're recording 16-bit, you have some motivation to go closer to 0dB when recording, but hopefully no one's recording 16-bit anymore. And even then, you can mix in 24-bit. Just wait for mastering to make it the appropriate volume, because you don't know what that volume will be when you're mixing.)

One of the points of mastering is to get a good flow between tracks and get things to the relative loudnesses you want, and you do that by listening rather than watching the numbers. (No, mastering is not the process of making everything as loud as humanly possible. :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

Hey ! Whatever the winner is

hashel

Hey ! Whatever the winner is i'd liek to make a Dr Wily (Megaman2) cover.
But i'd like to make it sounds more bluesy/jazzy !
As i have a bad musical knowledge i'd like some help, if one of you guys are okay to give me a hand on this, i'd be thankfful =)

Here is a random exemple of the "spirit" of how i'd like to play it : Wily

(Also you can notice a "noise" when i set my tone lower, or when i use the bass, do you know how i can get rid of it?)
=> the strange thing is that i hear this noise on audacity, here on the mp3 but not when i play it wth my windows media player... o_O

----------

auriplaneee :P

SixStringDealey

ahh i'm pretty much entirely self-taught when it comes to recording/mixing, so I'm definitely likely to sound oblivious at times. xD i'd actually love to go to school for production/sound engineering, but i wonder if it would even land me a job, so i'm hesitant. i think it's pretty cool that i'm pickin' up little things through this website and its' members, though! hehe

i was referring to (or at least attempting to O_o) the peak levels monitored by a project's master fader, but yeah, i suppose the peaks aren't exactly what you should base your volume levels off of haha. oh, but i definitely do listen to recordings pretty thoroughly (through stereo + a sub / headphones at various volume levels). i'm pretty familiar with volume track envelopes, eq's, most of the basic stuff, i thiiink. maybe i'll specifically try to not look at the numbers at all for whatever my next mix is. xD

tried snailiad a couple days ago btw. nice soundtrack for sure! i can't make myself endure the map anymore, though, so i'm going to cheat to hear the last couple tunes. xD i love that old midi sound. i actually have some kind of similar stuff that i've put together with powertab. will probably submit some for future themed contest thingies. it gives me an excuse to finish up some of the magnitude of forgotten tunes, which is nice.

It's Famitracker, not MIDI

auriplane

It's Famitracker, not MIDI :-) You can download Famitracker and write NES music yourself, if you like! It's a free program.

----------

Auriplane!!

cyx77 has voted NES Vulpes, i

hashel

cyx77 has voted NES
Vulpes, i sent you a new link, i hope this one will work !

One more vote and NES wins :D

----------

Okay, fine. I vote Chrono

auriplane

Okay, fine. I vote Chrono Cross.

Just kidding, I vote NES, whatever NES means.

----------

Auriplane!!

Trolling Auri ! :DNintendo

hashel

Trolling Auri ! :D

Nintendo Entertainment System (Famicon) won \o/
I'm waiting news from Hakoria & Vulpes to nd the FF7 thing =)

----------

Wooooooooo! I have a lot of

musenji

Wooooooooo! I have a lot of work to do.

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

...so everyone who wants to

Vulpes

Shadowfox

...so everyone who wants to reduce the possibility of getting some collateral damage
in the end should send me their song/s uncompressed as .WAV...
(now all is mp3, depending on the mix itself it must not get worse and I try to compensate if something appears, but just to get sure :) ...everything is possible)

What I don't get, I'll do with the mp3, but I'm sure it's not the ideal way :)

I'll do it during this week as I have time, the end is near =^. .^=

[edited] re: vulpes

SixStringDealey

wasn't sure where to send it, so i uploaded it to my skydrive. skydrive's share links can be weird.. it's called "cosmo canyon final mix.wav" in the "Full Songs" folder if it doesn't go there, directly.:
~FinalMix~

i'm actually glad you asked, because i found a previous mix with existing reference files from before i screwed my quality over a bit. xD
i used these wave settings: 44,100 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo, PCM wave

let me know if that still doesn't solve the issue. O-o

Re: Trolling Auri ! :DNintendo

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

hashel said

Nintendo Entertainment System (Famicon) won \o/

Great, I'll be sure to make time for something this time.

Re: Trolling Auri ! :DNintendo

hashel

RexLeRouge said

Great, I'll be sure to make time for something this time.

Great news :D

----------

Avalanche needs you! Send your WAV! =^. .^=

Vulpes

Shadowfox

i used these wave settings: 44,100 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo, PCM wave

let me know if that still doesn't solve the issue. O-o

No that should be enough :) If you recorded something (via Audacity or whatever) and export it, the standard setting is such a WAV :)
The more information within the source material the better and an .mp3 has already lost much of that :)

---
Link:

Should I Send MP3 Files Out for Mastering?

---

The rest of you can still send me their stuff as .WAV

(I mean, if we do it, then as right as possible as much as we know :D)
No deadline, but when I'm finished, do not complain ^_____°

I would make a Chrono Trigger

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

I would make a Chrono Trigger song but I would have to handle all my mastering XD Im liking my ozone and Slate digital stuff.

The Only problem is that everyone here has dif stuff. For me I master everything with Ozone just to get it to sound how like Like then do a final eq and use slate digital to finish it off in another project. So if we all have dif guitar tones the same mastering settings just wouldn't work. The BEST way would be if everyone was dry tracking their stuff. Then 1 person could re-amp it and use the same settings across the board. This of course would require more work across the board to make sure everyones dry tracks are correct, Guitars and such are in tune and so on.

But who knows maybe I will do a few chrono trigger videos ( did that win the vote? )and put my part in.

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

NES won, and was way ahead

musenji

I have 14 submissions in mind so far for the NES album >_>

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

Re: NES won, and was way ahead

hashel

musenji said

I have 14 submissions in mind so far for the NES album >_>

Got 8-9 too :D

I'll explain all the rules as soon as the FF7 is online.
One album at the time ^^

But you know that NES won, you guys can start working on song,s if you like :)

----------

Re: I would make a Chrono Trigger

Vulpes

Shadowfox

Giogiogio4 said

I would make a Chrono Trigger song but I would have to handle all my mastering XD Im liking my ozone and Slate digital stuff.

The Only problem is that everyone here has dif stuff. For me I master everything with Ozone just to get it to sound how like Like then do a final eq and use slate digital to finish it off in another project. So if we all have dif guitar tones the same mastering settings just wouldn't work. The BEST way would be if everyone was dry tracking their stuff. Then 1 person could re-amp it and use the same settings across the board. This of course would require more work across the board to make sure everyones dry tracks are correct, Guitars and such are in tune and so on.

That shouldn’t be a problem ^__^
Then it’s just necessary to tell and master everything except the last step with the maximizer which will be done central by one because of the album-volume-adjustment.

Using the same mastering setting on all songs, that really wouldn’t work^^ Each song still gets his own settings ;)

If everyone records it dry and it’s reamped by one person, there won’t be such characteristic differences, so that might not be the intention of this^^ Each one here did his own stuff, mixed it on his/hers own, so that is how it should sound.
This is an album from 21 different persons and not simply a regular album from one band or one artist :)

And we're also learning with this stuff too^^

Also each person itself has different stuff too, no song is the same as the other, even if it has been recorded by one person with the same equipment, that's depending on he song itself^^ Even if different stuff is reamped and mixed by one person (+effects etc.) , you cannot use the same settings, because if two songs are the same, one is a copy^^

Here, put this in the Main

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

Here, put this in the Main post. I found it rather helpful

http://www.mediafire.com/view/ec68eut0u9c9gcr/fredv_eq-tips.pdf

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

Re: Here, put this in the Main

Vulpes

Shadowfox

Giogiogio4 said

Here, put this in the Main post. I found it rather helpful

http://www.mediafire.com/view/ec68eut0u9c9gcr/fredv_eq-tips.pdf

Indeed, it is. thanks :)
Let me add this one to it: http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm
:)

Hey ! I'm a bit busy right

hashel

Hey !

I'm a bit busy right now, still waiting some news from Hakoria :)

----------

Yo, Hashel, I just got a

iamHoustonian

Yo, Hashel, I just got a Ditto Looper pedal and it's opening a million new doors for me creatively, as well as, finally giving me the chance to play a guitar part up to 5 minutes long, loop it and then play unlimited overdubs.

I've been jammin with it and playing alot of the VG songs I tabbed. So I might be able to do something more with my FFVII songs.
Feel free to do whatever you want with the tracks you have already but I'll probably be elaborating on them in the near future :-)

It's way too late for that

hashel

It's way too late for that :D
But enter int he next album (NES) and show us what you can do =)

----------

For sure, no problem.I was

iamHoustonian

For sure, no problem.
I was just giving you a heads up.

I might do something for the NES album but I'm more of an SNES dude. I played Super Mario, Castlevania 1&2, Metroid, Double Dragon 1&2 and some little side scroller games like Mickey Mouse and stuff. Not a huge fan but it's still cool.

I'm just going to be jammin and covering all of the VG songs I've wanted to do for so long. Good luck on the albums man :-)

EDIT:
Here's something I did tonight.
Breath of Fire II
Now I need new cables. Mine are old as shit and buzz haha

Re: For sure, no problem.I was

tiger child

where's the something you did tonight? i want to hear.

EDIT
oh there it is.

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

Re: For sure, no problem.I was

iamHoustonian

haha some technical difficulties.

I just used this new Ditto looper pedal I got and my little Marshall amp. Jamming has never been quite this fulfilling haha